• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Mid Season Awards

Rate this topic

After last night we are officially at the mid way point of the season and sit a very boring and mediocre 17-17-7.  I thought it would be fun to come up with some mid season awards. Feel free to add other ones if you wish. 

MVP :  Jimmy Howard - He has been our best player this year. Kept us in a lot of games. Hopefully he gets back soon. I've really enjoyed watching him play this year. 

Best Forward - Dylan Larkin  - Hard to pick someone out of this bunch, we have no one on pace for 30 goals or 70 pts. Larkin needs to score more but his all around game has improved and he gets my nod 

Best D man - Mike Green - Plays the most, has the most points. He's been pretty consistent overall. 

Biggest surprise - Martin Frk - 8 goals in limited minutes for a guy who was once a castaway, it's possible with increased minutes he could get 15 goals. 

Biggest disspointment - Frans Nielsen - I'm trying really hard to see what he's bringing, I get it he's a good two way player but he has 15 pts in 41 games. Not good enough for that kind of money

Feel free to add, discuss and give your own opinion

24 minutes ago, puckbags said:

After last night we are officially at the mid way point of the season and sit a very boring and mediocre 17-17-7.  I thought it would be fun to come up with some mid season awards. Feel free to add other ones if you wish. 

MVP :  Jimmy Howard - He has been our best player this year. Kept us in a lot of games. Hopefully he gets back soon. I've really enjoyed watching him play this year. 

Best Forward - Dylan Larkin  - Hard to pick someone out of this bunch, we have no one on pace for 30 goals or 70 pts. Larkin needs to score more but his all around game has improved and he gets my nod 

Best D man - Mike Green - Plays the most, has the most points. He's been pretty consistent overall. 

Biggest surprise - Martin Frk - 8 goals in limited minutes for a guy who was once a castaway, it's possible with increased minutes he could get 15 goals. 

Biggest disspointment - Frans Nielsen - I'm trying really hard to see what he's bringing, I get it he's a good two way player but he has 15 pts in 41 games. Not good enough for that kind of money

Agreed with all except the last one

Biggest disspointment - Petr Mrazek

I'm going to go controversial partly for the sake of conversation, but I do think these are true: 

MVP: Jimmy! Okay, so  this ain't controversial...Larkin gets an honourable mention here for me.

Biggest Surprise: Ericsson: He's actually having quite a good year. Maybe it's the wrist surgery has got him back to feeling comfortable. Or maybe it's the addition of Daley, but I don't really know who he's been playing with most of the time. For evidence, he's a +4 on a team where every other regular is a minus and he gets a lot of the tough defensive assignments.

Biggest Disappointment: Zetterberg: Now, I love me some Z and he hasn't been bad by any stretch, but there seems to be a significant drop off from last year. All other guys that have been bad: Mrazek, or those playing below their contract (Nielsen, Abby...) have been pretty much where they were the year before or taken steps forward (Abby's 1 short of last year's pt total). Z's the only one who seems to have really declined for me. Even Kronwall's had a better year when injuries suggested he was on a one way trajectory. It's not really all that surprising since he is 37. It's actually kind of good for the team since Larkin, AA, Mantha can take over ice time and start to take over leadership. 

P.S. I think Nielsen's been good - better than last year for me. He's really good defensively - look at that diving save he made to save a goal when E took Mrazek out of the net the other night. He found some good chemistry with Helm for a good while. He's also lived up to his reputation on the shootouts. He's playing about a minute less per game now that Larkin's doing well at center, so the slight drop in points is understandable (also no Vanek on his wing) He's also getting more defensive assignments - gone from 57.8 O zone starts vs. 42.2 D Zone to 41.1 OZ vs. 58.2 Dzone (hockey-reference.com). Not worth that contract, but still...

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Biggest Disappointment: Zetterberg: Now, I love me some Z and he hasn't been bad by any stretch, but there seems to be a significant drop off from last year. All other guys that have been bad: Mrazek, or those playing below their contract (Nielsen, Abby...) have been pretty much where they were the year before or taken steps forward (Abby's 1 short of last year's pt total). Z's the only one who seems to have really declined for me. Even Kronwall's had a better year when injuries suggested he was on a one way trajectory. It's not really all that surprising since he is 37. It's actually kind of good for the team since Larkin, AA, Mantha can take over ice time and start to take over leadership. 

Drop off in terms of what? Visuals? Probably.. he's one year older. But production wise he actually has more points this season through 41 games  than he did last season. 

I said this in a thread months ago, Z is going to get slower and slower and slower. But he's the type of dude that will continue to find a way to control the ice and pace of the game on his stick and still produce, until he hits a brick wall which is probably in a year or so. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Drop off in terms of what? Visuals? Probably.. he's one year older. But production wise he actually has more points this season through 41 games  than he did last season. 

I said this in a thread months ago, Z is going to get slower and slower and slower. But he's the type of dude that will continue to find a way to control the ice and pace of the game on his stick and still produce, until he hits a brick wall which is probably in a year or so. 

Zetterberg sucks now, you need to get over it.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Zetterberg sucks now, you need to get over it.

He's better than Toews and that's all the matters to be honest. 

Also Franzen is dead. I hope you've been over that. 

Edited by kickazz

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

His wife Cissi posted this picture on her interior design blog 7 days ago

1g6a2773.jpg?w=994

The Mule alive and well

Your move captain liar

Old picture, taken a week before his death in 2015. RIP 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Well I'm mostly just judging by the eye - he seems slower and has seemed less noticeable for his magic, with some more giveaways and missed defensive plays than the past. But I'm sure I can find some stats to back it up:

I don't know where his points were at last year through 41 (and he does often have slower starts), but his 29 pts. is on pace to be a dropoff from 68 last year. 

6 goals, on pace for 12, lowest of his career.

His fo% is 46% which is the lowest ever in his career. He was quite outspoken in the preseason against the new policy on enforcing the set up strictly by the rule book. Seems to have effected him negatively.

Shots on goal: 96, on pace for 184 lowest of his career (he almost had that much when he played half a year and during the lockout shortened half-year)

Giveaways: 29, on pace for 58. Last year had 37 and would be higher than his usual. higher than past 6 years.

Corsi: 47.5 down from 52.2 last year. Lowest of his career

Fenwick: 47.3 down from 52.4 last year. Lowest of his career

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/z/zettehe01.html

Again, I love Z and I don't think he's been bad at all, but a definite decline to me - especially compared to last year when he seemed to have a resurgence. I think he's just going into the lesser role as leader in transition like Yzerman did. If Larkin and AA continue to do well at center, I'd experiment again with putting him on a wing so we can load up on the 2 top lines. Also, might be good not to have Nielsen as pretty much our 4th line center.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

22 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Well I'm mostly just judging by the eye - he seems slower and has seemed less noticeable for his magic, with some more giveaways and missed defensive plays than the past. But I'm sure I can find some stats to back it up:

I don't know where his points were at last year through 41 (and he does often have slower starts), but his 29 pts. is on pace to be a dropoff from 68 last year. 

6 goals, on pace for 12, lowest of his career.

His fo% is 46% which is the lowest ever in his career. He was quite outspoken in the preseason against the new policy on enforcing the set up back the book. Seems to have effected him negatively.

Shots on goal: 96, on pace for 184 lowest of his career (he almost had that much when he played half a year and during the lockout shortened half-year)

Giveaways: 29, on pace for 58. Last year had 37 and would be higher than his usual. higher than past 6 years.

Corsi: 47.5 down from 52.2 last year. Lowest of his career

Fenwick: 47.3 down from 52.4 last year. Lowest of his career

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/z/zettehe01.html

Again, I love Z and I don't think he's been bad at all, but a definite decline to me - especially compared to last year when he seemed to have a resurgence. I think he's just going into the lesser role as leader in transition like Yzerman did. If Larkin and AA continue to do well at center, I'd experiment again with putting him on a wing so we can load up on the 2 top lines. Also might be good not to have Nielsen as pretty much our 4th line center.

Most of the stats your mentioned except the faceoff were around that level midway thru last year too until he decided to step in to help the failing team. I doubt he cares as much this year. But if he does care I'm sure he'll start scoring again. 7 goals last year compared to the 6 this year. He had 28 points at the 41 game mark last year compared to the 29 this year. 

Actually had less shots last year through 41 games (90) compared to the 96 this year. 

Corsi was bad halfway through season last year too. I think exactly that much actually. 

But you did leave out the stats he has improved on. Takeaway rate is higher this year than ever in his career, shot block is highest this year than his career.  Hits rate is about the same as last year.

Not the player I would judge until the end of the season. He's historically known for s***ty starts and ends up proving most journalists etc wrong. 

I think the faceoff rule definitely has affected him. A lot of the league faceoff guys have dropped off this year. Getzlaf, Stamkos, Koivu. Surprisingly Crosby is doing really well and he's always sucked at them. 

I think defensively Zetterberg has declined. He missed a few assignments this first half of the season that were significant for sure. But it's expected. He's been playing above his level for too long now, at some point that 20 min per game has to go down and someone else needs to take the tougher match ups. 

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Most of the stats your mentioned except the faceoff were around that level midway thru last year too until he decided to step in to help the failing team. I doubt he cares as much this year. But if he does care I'm sure he'll start scoring again. 7 goals last year compared to the 6 this year. He had 28 points at the 41 game mark last year compared to the 29 this year. 

Actually had less shots last year through 41 games (90) compared to the 96 this year. 

Corsi was bad halfway through season last year too. I think exactly that much actually. 

But you did leave out the stats he has improved on. Takeaway rate is higher this year than ever in his career, shot block is highest this year than his career.  Hits rate is about the same as last year.

Not the player I would judge until the end of the season. He's historically known for s***ty starts and ends up proving most journalists etc wrong. 

But that is kind of the project of this thread, though. haha

I don't remember Z having a slow start last year - seems like the story on him was his resurgence all throughout the season. The way I remember it, when we switched Larkin from center and Z took back the top center spot he was really solid and driving the team pretty much. But, I guess after his 50 pt. 2015-16 campaign 28 pt. was a resurgence at the halfway point. (and 29 isn't bad, by the way - just thought it showed a decline from last year before you showed last year's halfway stats) 

If he has another hot 2nd half then, points or shots could be about the same as last year. I guess we will see.

More than anything, just something seems to be missing with him this year so far. I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm thinking of a late season possessed Z as my comparison. Or the factor that Larkin's getting to play some of the more advantageous situations (offensive faceoffs after icings, etc) and Z could be getting harder assignments that aren't making him look as good.

9 hours ago, puckbags said:

I was totally gonna do a thread like this but you beat me to it, LOL!

I agree with the 1st 3.

Biggest Surprise: Jonathan Ericsson- been solid for awhile, looks like a 2nd pair D.

Biggest Disappointment: Petr Mrazek- I was hoping for a bounce back year.

I thought I would add a couple as well.

Best Comeback Player (Masterson Award): Ericsson

Unsung Hero/ Blue Collar Award: Abby= quietly putting up top 6 numbers, good PP guy, adds a little grit too

Denis Green Award: (They are who we thought they were!) Daley= nothing special, exactly what I was expecting

Best Defensive Forward (Selke): Nielsen

MVP (Hart): Larkin

Best Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly Play (Lady Byng): Larkin

Best Rookie (Calder): Frk obviously

Best Leadership and Humanitarian (King Clancy): Z

Best Goal Scorer: (Richard): Mantha

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

I think the faceoff rule definitely has affected him. A lot of the league faceoff guys have dropped off this year. Getzlaf, Stamkos, Koivu. Surprisingly Crosby is doing really well and he's always sucked at them. 

I think defensively Zetterberg has declined. He missed a few assignments this first half of the season that were significant for sure. But it's expected. He's been playing above his level for too long now, at some point that 20 min per game has to go down and someone else needs to take the tougher match ups. 

Why do you think they changed the rule?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

14 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

But that is kind of the project of this thread, though. haha

I don't remember Z having a slow start last year - seems like the story on him was his resurgence all throughout the season. The way I remember it, when we switched Larkin from center and Z took back the top center spot he was really solid and driving the team pretty much. But, I guess after his 50 pt. 2015-16 campaign 28 pt. was a resurgence at the halfway point. (and 29 isn't bad, by the way - just thought it showed a decline from last year before you showed last year's halfway stats) 

If he has another hot 2nd half then, points or shots could be about the same as last year. I guess we will see.

More than anything, just something seems to be missing with him this year so far. I'm entirely open to the possibility that I'm thinking of a late season possessed Z as my comparison. Or the factor that Larkin's getting to play some of the more advantageous situations (offensive faceoffs after icings, etc) and Z could be getting harder assignments that aren't making him look as good.

Yeah. I don’t disagree with you. I was just pointing out that he was similar last year at this point so don’t lose hope yet. But basically that this might be his norm and not necessarily a disappointment. Visually he definitely looks a little off, speed wise I’d say he’s about the same as the last two years. But again, somehow he’s still maintaining his production. It’s upto him to turn it up second half. 

Personally I just want the guy to hit 1000 points by end of next season and retire peacefully. 

Edited by kickazz

18 hours ago, kickazz said:

Has he though? I know it's cool to hate on Crosby here but his career average is 51.4% and he's even had 3 seasons better than this season. Not to mention his playoff numbers are even higher. 

9 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

Has he though? I know it's cool to hate on Crosby here but his career average is 51.4% and he's even had 3 seasons better than this season. Not to mention his playoff numbers are even higher. 

Dude, Crosby is easier to hate than Roman Reigns.  

39 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

First time in 5 years he's been as high as this. He had 2 or 3 seasons where he did really well (which probably pulls his over numbers up), otherwise around 48-51 %. Point is the slashing rule has favored a lot of centers. I think Larkin is benefiting from it too. 

Edited by kickazz