• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

2018 ALL STAR GAME THREAD

Rate this topic

On 1/14/2018 at 1:32 AM, chaps80 said:

People still watch the ASG? Seems like players aren’t even excited about being selected anymore. It’s like “Damn, I really wanted to go home for a couple days instead, but I guess...”

Especially this year when they'd rather be playing in the Olympics

On 1/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I just don't like seeing guys get in because of their name only. If a guy is having a down year, don't put him in. Give a guy a chance who's having a great year but who's not always there. That's parity. I thought that's what the league is all about now.

I'm on the fence with this a bit (i.e. in for name only).  Not that it happens a lot, I just question whether it should.  This is an all star game...to showcase your "stars", who do the kids want to see, etc. (it is for the kids after all).  You won't to put your stars in that game (names).  On the other hand, if a no name is having an outstanding year, you want to recognize him.

The other view people take is looking at body of work from last half of the season before and first half of current season (i.e. time since last game....otherwise you are always just basing it off the first half of any season).  Crosby didn't make it one year and ended up top 5 or higher in scoring at the end of the year.

If you look at this year, Crosby is having a down year statistically, but it's it's down compared to his standards.  When you compare to the rest of the league, he's still 13th in scoring.  I think Kessel is 9th or 10th and Malkin is 14th.  Kind of weird that all 3 aren't there...but the format is way different with 3 on 3 now and you'll always have guys that you really think shoudl be all stars but aren't there and then you have the few head scratchers (every team must be represented picks).