• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Cogliano's Consecutive Games Streak Ends

Rate this topic

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22099416/andrew-cogliano-anaheim-ducks-suspended

I never thought I'd see someone break Doug Jarvis' record of consecutive games played.  Looks like I was right.  Cogliano was suspended two games by the league for what they deemed an "illegal hit".  His streak was officially at stopped at 830 consecutive games played.  Less than two seasons from catching Doug Jarvis.  He never missed a game in his career prior to this suspension. 

7 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22099416/andrew-cogliano-anaheim-ducks-suspended

I never thought I'd see someone break Doug Jarvis' record of consecutive games played.  Looks like I was right.  Cogliano was suspended two games by the league for what they deemed an "illegal hit".  His streak was officially at stopped at 830 consecutive games played.  Less than two seasons from catching Doug Jarvis.  He never missed a game in his career prior to this suspension. 

The consecutive games played streak gets handled to Keith Yandle now.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The consecutive games played streak gets handled to Keith Yandle now.

I know no one will agree with me, but the league should have given him a pass on this.  Not like he Bertuzzied the guy.  Hits like this go unpunished all the time in the league.  Also, he has no history of suspensions or dirty hits.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

I didn't think the hit was bad. Aside from it being a bit late, there was clearly no malicious intent, he never jumped into it. Also kempe has his head down and he's bigger than cogliano. Give him the penalty, maybe even a warning. A suspension for that hit is Embarassing. Especially considering some of the stuff they let slide. 

6 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

I didn't think the hit was bad. Aside from it being a bit late, there was clearly no malicious intent, he never jumped into it. Also kempe has his head down and he's bigger than cogliano. Give him the penalty, maybe even a warning. A suspension for that hit is Embarassing. Especially considering some of the stuff they let slide. 

They were probably too scared not to suspend him, thinking they'd be accused of favoritism due to the streak.  If I was Cogliano, I'd be furious and would turn myself into the next Raffi Torres as revenge.  

Quit crying you baby. Follow the rules.

Just kidding. That's pretty sad. A stupid way to have your streak ended. I'm sure they'll still count it as "most consecutive games played not counting suspension" if he keeps at it. 

Edited by kickazz

...but they don't suspend Brown for his hit on Schultz?

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-suspensions-just-fines-dustin-231459117.html

“I’m going to close on him. He stumbles, toe picks. I don’t drive him into the wall or anything,” Brown said afterward via LA Kings Insider. “Also, closing on the play, at the most it’s probably a two, I think. I mean, who knows because of the protocol and all that, but it’s one of those plays where I’m going to close and he’s in an unfortunate spot.”

Bologna.  Schultz is already down before you start to "close on him"  Ya followed through on a guy whose already on his knees.

Edited by e_prime

What he meant to do shouldn't matter. If a guy gets hit in the face with a stick, its a penalty whether the offender meant to or not. You are responsible for your stick. Hits like this should be held to the same standard. Intent might be a mitigating circumstance and result in a more lenient punishment, but it shouldn't absolve a player of his responsibility to be in control of his actions.