• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Corey Pronman - Top 50 NHL Prospects

Rate this topic

Pronman of The Athletic compiled a list of what he believes to be the top 50 NHL prospects. Casey Mittelstadt was ranked number one on the list. Gabriel Vilardi, a player a lot of Wings fans (myself included) wanted us to draft last summer, was ranked number 8 on the list. Timothy Liljegren, another player a lot of Wings fans wanted us to draft, was ranked number 13 on the list. Owen Tippett, a player LeftWinger wanted us to draft, was ranked number 18 on the list. Not a single Red Wing made the list. Rasmussen was an "honorable mention"... I'm sure the injury had a bit to do with Rasmussen not cracking the top 50, but many other players that made the cut missed time due to injury as well.

I know lists like this mean very little to how any of these players will turn out (Pulkkinen was in the top 20 or something a few years ago), but it is still a little disappointing to see our top draft pick (9th overall) in over two decades not even crack a top 50 list...

12 minutes ago, kickazz said:

What was Larkin’s rank

Well the last time Larkin was ranked as a prospect was 2 years ago, and the only ranking I paid any attention to back then was TSN, and they had him ranked 15th (Mantha was 11th). Pronman moved on from ESPN, which was a paywall (I was never a subscriber) to The Athletic which I am a subscriber, so I have no idea what he had him ranked two years ago.

16 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I saw that he had Mantha at 55 in 2016. I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

Seems like he liked Larkin though in 2015 at rank 10

Mantha would have also been older / further along in his development in 2016 than Rasmussen is now. Do you have a link to the full list? Just curious to have a look at some of the other names there.

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Mantha would have also been older / further along in his development in 2016 than Rasmussen is now. Do you have a link to the full list? Just curious to have a look at some of the other names there.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-nhl-prospects-2016-17-nhl-season/story?id=42622944

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/08/13/wings-larkin-ranks-espns-top-prospects-list/31630391/

Hickets was 59, Svech was 62. 

Larkin got the most love in 2015; the list isn't accessible to me but Detroitnews quoted it in that second link. 

Edited by kickazz

23 minutes ago, kickazz said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-nhl-prospects-2016-17-nhl-season/story?id=42622944

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/08/13/wings-larkin-ranks-espns-top-prospects-list/31630391/

Hickets was 59, Svech was 62. 

Larkin got the most love in 2015; the list isn't accessible to me but Detroitnews quoted it in that second link. 

Thanks! I remember reading that one from last year. Not the Larkin one from the previous year though.

1 hour ago, Son of a Wing said:

I have more faith in the Red Wings scouting and development than I do in Corey Pronman's evaulation skills. 

What exactly has Vilardi done since the draft to be so highly regarded?  

For sure. I didn't expect anyone to take this list to mean much of anything really. It's just one man's opinion. It is interesting to see outsiders opinions of the organization and our players / prospects though. It sucks that not a single Wings prospect made his top 50 list, but as I alluded to in the original post, take it for what it's worth (not a whole lot)...

I don't think it's what Vilardi has done this year, but more of his body of work over the past couple seasons. I still would have preferred to have taken him over Rasmussen, but I'm all aboard the Big Ras hype train now. I hope he surprises everyone, including Corey Pronman and becomes a Ryan Getzlaf type of beast centerman.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Is Corey Pronman a scout?

No, he's not a scout, he's a draft analyst. I'd put him in the same category (maybe slightly below) Bob McKenzie and Craig Button. Those three along with ISS are basically the only draft lists that I give much credence to.