• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
greene709

Some good news for Holland haters

Rate this topic

On 2/25/2018 at 8:20 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Ya really think that franchise lasts in AZ?

Why would anyone ever want to play for a team that shows loyalty to its players? Holland must be an idiot if he thinks that would ever work.

It lasted this long, hasn't it? Gary and friends will never admit to the mistake of hockey in Arizona. As long as Gary is around, so will the Yotes. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

It lasted this long, hasn't it? Gary and friends will never admit to the mistake of hockey in Arizona. As long as Gary is around, so will the Yotes. 

Yep. Can’t just say they were wrong after they’ve used league money to prop the franchise up for so long. Everyone has already noticed the futility of the situation awhile back though, so it doesn’t look good on them regardless.

Players don’t want to sign there, and i’m sure at each draft whenever Arizona’s pick is coming up all the kids pray they aren’t the one chosen. 

I still cant believe Doan wasted his entire career there. Never asked for a trade to a contender as far as I know either. That’s dedication to futility right there!

I had my fair share of Holland frustration, but when faced with the reality of his leaving, I would be concerned that a replacement might not be an improvement. They would need to be really careful in who they hired. However, I have no such concerns about the coach!

2 minutes ago, rwing said:

I had my fair share of Holland frustration, but when faced with the reality of his leaving, I would be concerned that a replacement might not be an improvement. They would need to be really careful in who they hired. However, I have no such concerns about the coach!

Which is why I’d be fine with him being signed for one more season, only as a stop gap measure while they look for his replacement. No need to make a decision over the summer, and I doubt they will. Doesn’t seem like enough time for the Wings. They won’t rush it, but I hope he’s gone.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:50 PM, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Being loyal to Zetterberg and Lidstrom is one thing, being loyal “overpaying and NTC” for tertiary players is another. He’s being loyal to the wrong players and hurting the team. This isn’t an uncapped league.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:33 PM, chaps80 said:

Bang on. He’s like a guy who’s remodeling his house, but gets screwed into paying too much for a used furnace that quits on him in a year or two just because someone said it would work for the next ten.

Loyalty is a trait. You either have it or you don't. Holland seems to have it and it shows in some of his business dealings. Some GMs don't have it at all. It's all business to them. When he uses it or who he shows it to is debatable. It's based on one's judgment. You can't just say that when he trades a player you like or he takes a guy you like to arbitration that he is being disloyal. You also can't say that he's being too loyal whenever he re-signs someone you don't like to terms that you don't like. Those are not facts, they are opinions. That was kinda my point. There are some in here that do that.

I personally do not believe that trading Mrazek was disloyal. I don't think taking AA to arbitration was disloyal. I don't think keeping Howard results from any kind of "loyalty". It was business. Any perceived "loyalty" that KH shows is to players who have shown commitment and loyalty to the team, which makes sense. Those guys are usually veterans. Guys on entry level deals haven't proven anything yet. When they put in their time, they'll probably get the loyalty treatment too. That's kinda how it works. Loyalty is like respect, its not given, its earned. Does he seem to show it moreso to veterans? Yes, but those are the guys who are the free agents. Those are exactly the guys you want to see Holland as loyal, particularly to guys who have put in their dues.

Here's an analogy: I have 2 guys that work for me. One has been with me a long time. I hired him, trained him, and paid him well. He has a good work ethic, is reliable, and has experience and other intangibles that I value. He could work somewhere else doing the same job for the same money or more. Then I would lose all that I have invested in him. Instead, he chooses to work for me. The 2nd guy is much younger and  has been with me only a short time. He shows good qualities, which is why I hired him. He is being trained, but I have invested much less in him. He works for me because he has no other options, and may leave when he has the chance. Which guy do you think I will be more loyal to?

I would rather Holland be seen as too "loyal" than not. That perception will only increase the interest of players for this team, especially the older players who are free agents. His perceived "loyalty" may hurt the team at times, for sure. But I think it would hurt the team more if players saw Holland as being without loyalty, a suit who would throw his own Mother under the bus. I'll take the occasional overpayment if it means giving us a better chance at landing a player who can make a difference.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie