• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

If Draper is the next GM, I don't think I mind it

Rate this topic

Interesting words from Kris Draper; seems like he has his own approach:

HSJ: “You were such a competitive player. Is it tough to want the team to miss the playoffs in order to get into the draft lottery? 

KD: “Listen, I know they are going to play hard and do everything they can to make the playoffs. They basically want to screw up our draft. Here we are talking about Rasmus Dahlin, a kid that potentially is going to be a franchise defenseman — they don’t care about that. They want to win. But in the end, for us to get better, we have to draft really well and then we have to find some gems. Dan Cleary is out west right now watching Michael Rasmussen and Dennis Cholowski. Those guys have really made some big strides. We hope they can continue in their development, that they have a big summer. We need to expedite this process. We need to get these kids bigger and faster and stronger, quicker, to come in and start challenging for spots. That’s how you get better. We have to draft well. We have to find players.”

HSJ: “So you’re rooting for them to play well but come up a goal short?

KD: “Ha, I’m not touching that one. I still have friends in that locker room. I know that Henrik Zetterberg is one of the most ultimate competitors that I’ve ever played with. We know what he is going to do. But it’s a tough league.”

Looks to me like Draper is all for being able to win that lottery. If he took over, I could see him pulling off something like the Maple Leafs did. Sell, sell, sell and let the roster play out to get that top lottery rank. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, kliq said:

I'd be fine with Draper taking over as GM. I just want the best candidate, and the last two guys that worked under Holland (Yzerman/Nill) are doing ok.

Funny. How could they possibly have learned anything considering Holland is the worst GM ever? ;)

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Who would you bring in as GM?

The best candidate after a series of interviews.  If Holland stays in the organization I'd make sure it would be someone who wouldn't be beholden to him and feel pressured to take advice as an order. Of course I'd also tell Holland if he interfered  he'd be out on his ass in a hurry.

52 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

The best candidate after a series of interviews.  If Holland stays in the organization I'd make sure it would be someone who wouldn't be beholden to him and feel pressured to take advice as an order. Of course I'd also tell Holland if he interfered  he'd be out on his ass in a hurry.

I dunno if I'm ready for someone new yet. I'm still honeymoonin on Blashill.

10 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I would 100 % go outside of the organization for a GM. This franchise needs a fresh start in a lot of areas and GM is one of them. 

This is the kind of thinking that can get teams in trouble, when hiring for a position like this don't limit your choices to appease certain fans.

I am 100% fine with going outside of the organization IF the person outside of the organization is the best choice. But to bring someone in who may be inferior to someone in house just for "PR" reasons is a mistake. Hire the best candidate, period. 

1 hour ago, Dominator2005 said:

I don't see him leaving... they have a cup contending team for the next 5 years... 

He will leave at some point, the question is when. I dont see it being next year either, but Yzerman is a young guy and has plenty of years left as a GM. At some point I think he will come home, may be in 2030 lol, but I think it will happen eventually.

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Yzerman has zero reason to come to Detroit.  Give it up

How many GM's not named Ken Holland spend their entire career's with one team. I'll await your long list, and working for a team for a few years and getting fired to never find another job doesn't count.

Edited by kliq