• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

If Draper is the next GM, I don't think I mind it

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Yzerman has zero reason to come to Detroit.  Give it up

Dude. Buy the gun or don't. Quit playing games.

52 minutes ago, kliq said:

How many GM's not named Ken Holland spend their entire career's with one team. I'll await your long list, and working for a team for a few years and getting fired to never find another job doesn't count.

Ken is pretty unique in this regard. It's amazing how for granted this organization is taken.

10 hours ago, kliq said:

How many GM's not named Ken Holland spend their entire career's with one team. I'll await your long list, and working for a team for a few years and getting fired to never find another job doesn't count.

what's your point?

MLB- every (successful) front office is hiring analytical, computer geeks 

NBA- same as MLB

NFL- the greatest football mind of all time is the GM of the Patriots, everyone else is so much below them (even though they did lose the SB because of a funky playcall)

NHL- former players, former players, former players

Edited by shocky2002

19 hours ago, shocky2002 said:

NBA- same as MLB

NFL- the greatest football mind of all time is the GM of the Patriots, everyone else is so much below them (even though they did lose the SB because of a funky playcall)

I think a lot of it has to do with the idea that players are more likely to trust other players. Then they dont see GMs as a suit which makes it easier to build rapport with current players, free agents, draft picks, etc when the guy theyre dealing with has been there before. Gives a guy like Yzerman a huge advantage. Just my two cents.

46 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the idea that players are more likely to trust other players. Then they dont see GMs as a suit which makes it easier to build rapport with current players, free agents, draft picks, etc when the guy theyre dealing with has been there before. Gives a guy like Yzerman a huge advantage. Just my two cents.

I don't disagree with you, that's certainly a part of it.

However, you emphasized it's because of rapport with current players/assets. I disagree with you, I think it's firstly because of the rapport they have with other GMs (also former players, vicious cycle, I know). Secondly, with agents. Thirdly, with media. And fourth, with general staff. It's very much still an old boys club in my eyes.

23 hours ago, shocky2002 said:

NBA- same as MLB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Ainge

Best GM in the NBA right now and a former player. ;)

On 2/21/2018 at 3:49 AM, shocky2002 said:

NBA- same as MLB

6 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

5 hours ago, kliq said:

Also, Bill Belichick (Best GM/Coach in football) payed Tight End and Center in college lol. 

Will you giys stop being “legitimate asses” to shocky? He prefers you act like illegitimate ones.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:49 AM, shocky2002 said:

NBA- same as MLB

They're a bunch of beta male hipsters who drink craft beers.  

On 21/02/2018 at 11:53 PM, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Best GM in the league is most certainly not Ainge, but Bob Myers. the Warriors are ones with the dynasty, not Boston. Although Ainge hires analytical guys around him anyway. How's Michael Jordan doing as GM? Doc Rivers? Vlade? Not so well.

On 22/02/2018 at 6:42 AM, kickazz said:

Will you giys stop being “legitimate asses” to shocky? He prefers you act like illegitimate ones.

Jesus, dude. That was so corny. I bet you're still seething over that comment. Haha

Edited by shocky2002

32 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

Jesus, dude. That was so corny. I bet you're still seething over that comment. Haha

You’re too easy bruh

12 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

The NHL also has a nepotism problem, on top of that.

So does NFL, MLB, NBA. What’s your point?

Edited by kickazz

19 hours ago, shocky2002 said:

Best GM in the league is most certainly not Ainge, but Bob Myers. the Warriors are ones with the dynasty, not Boston. Although Ainge hires analytical guys around him anyway. How's Michael Jordan doing as GM? Doc Rivers? Vlade? Not so well.

They already had Curry and Thompson before Myers became GM. ;)

I agree it's close up there, and I like Morey, too. What singles out Ainge in my opinion is how fast he managed to overhaul an old championship roster into a young contender with a new title window for years. And without being completely bad or tanking for years in the meantime.

Helped a lot by Brooklyns idiocy, for sure, but that's always part of the game.