• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Karlsson on the move?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What are we giving up and what contract did he sign?

I dont think this would get him, but for fun. Lets say AA, 2019 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick for Karlsson and Karlsson is signed for 8 years.

It doesn't matter what it would take to get him via trade.  Not many Cup contenders would be willing to pay the price, so he more than likely wouldn't be moved to a contender.  He'd be moved to a team that is out of the playoff race and the 1st rounder would be more attractive to Ottawa. If he is dealt to a team that is also out of the playoffs, he more than likely won't be re-signing there.  

Keep our assets, see what he wants come July 1.  We have to be in the top 5 teams he'd like to play for.  It's been joked about, but if we make the right adjustments and moves before July 1, he just may take a sweetheart deal to play here BECAUSE he is so close to our Swedish guys.

Honestly, with the way E has played this season, it may be a pretty nice thing to see Karlsson - Ericsson as our top pair.  I know we've dogged E a lot over the years (especially me) but once Green is gone, E has really been our most reliable D.  Put Karlsson with him and if E keeps it up next season, that would be a very good to great combination of an offensive D and a defensive D.

20 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Hate acting like an armchair GM but for s***s and giggles -

Mantha, Nyquist 2019 1st, 2020 2nd for Karlsson sign and trade. 

I'd do it. 

Not Mantha.

If we really want to be a s***s and giggles armchair GM, how about this:

Trade Green to team A for a 1st and prospect that will make the team next season (that is what they said Holland wants on the broadcast last night ). Then turn around and trade that acquired 2018 1st, Tatar (because NSH wants Nyquist) and a 2019 2nd for Karlsson.

Would that do it?

2018 acquired 1st, Tatar, 2019 2nd. The 2nd is going to still be in the 30's in 2019.

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not Mantha.

If we really want to be a s***s and giggles armchair GM, how about this:

Trade Green to team A for a 1st and prospect that will make the team next season (that is what they said Holland wants on the broadcast last night ). Then turn around and trade that acquired 2018 1st, Tatar (because NSH wants Nyquist) and a 2019 2nd for Karlsson.

Would that do it?

2018 acquired 1st, Tatar, 2019 2nd. The 2nd is going to still be in the 30's in 2019.

Nope.

Yeah I don't get this obsession with Mantha. Karlsson is a two time Norris Trophy winning elite defenseman. Probably one of the best offensive defensemen in history and people want to hang on to Mantha? How absurd the ******* Wings fans are when it comes to overrating our youngsters. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Yeah I don't get this obsession with Mantha. Karlsson is a two time Norris Trophy winning elite defenseman. Probably one of the best offensive defensemen in history and people want to hang on to Mantha? How absurd the ******* Wings fans are when it comes to overrating our youngsters. 

But... but... he's tall!!!!

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It wouldn't be just Mantha. Do you want to also give up your 1st round pick? Because that would absolutely be a part of it, along with at least 2 more assets. 

No trade. The guy is damaged goods.

For a sign and trade?? Um yeah I would give up Mantha, a firt round pick and assets.

What are you on? TWO TIME NORRIS WINNER.

Edited by kickazz

On 2/19/2018 at 11:37 AM, kickazz said:

The point is our Swedes are his close friends.

Alfredsson was convinced to come here by the Swedes. Karlsson can too

What is the source for this?  Our Swedes are all quite a bit older than him, there are several other teams in the league that have Swedes that more in his age group.  I'm asking because I truly don't know.  I'm guessing they all have some connection, so he would be friends with our Swedes, but not sure why he'd be closer to these guys than Swedes on other teams.

1 minute ago, toby91_ca said:

What is the source for this?  Our Swedes are all quite a bit older than him, there are several other teams in the league that have Swedes that more in his age group.  I'm asking because I truly don't know.  I'm guessing they all have some connection, so he would be friends with our Swedes, but not sure why he'd be closer to these guys than Swedes on other teams.

I linked franzens instagram.

He’s also close with Alfredsson 

Edited by kickazz

On 2/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, krsmith17 said:

What makes you think he's any closer to our Swedes than any of the others in the league though? Is this actually a thing? If so, you may be right. But I find it hard to believe that he's closer to players a decade older than some that are in his age group...

Ha....I didn't read far enough, this is basically my question.

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He's not a ufa until 2019. There can be no sign and trade until a year from now.

Technically, couldn't he be signed to an extension on July 1, 2018?  Doesn't help for a deadline deal in Feb 2018 though.

The only way I'd even consider trading for Karlsson is if it was a sign and trade. I have no interest in giving up a ton of assets for any pending UFA. Even with the sign and trade, I'd probably pass (at what I believe it would cost). People are talking about Mantha and a first. That's two big pieces, and even that wouldn't be close to enough. Any trade for Karlsson would start with Larkin and a first, and would likely have to include a high end defense prospect, as well as another high pick.

There's a reason players of Karlsson's ilk aren't traded anymore (unless an equal player is coming back the other way). Teams aren't willing to part with the massive package it would take to get them. With more and more teams looking to build through the draft, and young players on ELC's, it just wouldn't make much sense to try to fill one hole, by creating another potentially bigger one. I still say no to Karlsson, unless of course, we're able to lure him as a UFA next summer (2019).

Here's a hypothetical sign and trade.

Detroit - Karlsson (8 years at $10M) - 29 years old, signed until he's 37.

Ottawa - Larkin, Cholowski, 2019 1st round pick, 2020 2nd round pick.

Do you pull the trigger? I'd consider it for sure, but in the end, I think I'd pass...