• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Karlsson on the move?

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I would say that you weren't that far off.

I still had two 1sts, but to sweetin in up one of them was this years from Vegas and the other was 2020. I still think we'll be a lottery team in 2019, so I don't want to miss out on a chance at Hughes....

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

... 2020 1st could still be a lottery for us, plus the 20-31st pick this year is a very good pick in a deep draft. Cholowski is a 1st round pick, plus he is considered a top prospect, the 3rd and 4th extras.  The sticking point is the roster player, I am sure Nyquist would not waive to got to Ottawa, but there is nobody else they'd want or I'd offer along with 2 great 1st round picks.

I don't necessarily disagree that we could still be a lottery team after adding Karlsson, or even Karlsson and Tavares. Question is if you think we could be as well, exactly why do you want to pay such a hefty price for Karlsson plus saddle us with two huge contracts for players likely nearing the end of (or already past) their scoring prime? 

No way I consider trading for Karlsson unless I thought he would instantly turn us into at least a fringe contender.

pretty sure the guy wants to stay in canada. golly at this point we may  not even be better then the team hes on now why would he want to come here. get him on a competitive team. id just feel sorry he if came here just to lose.

BUT i would welcome him with warm arms

4 hours ago, brett said:

pretty sure the guy wants to stay in canada. golly at this point we may  not even be better then the team hes on now why would he want to come here. get him on a competitive team. id just feel sorry he if came here just to lose.

BUT i would welcome him with warm arms

I won't pretend to know the mind of Erik Karlsson, but I'd be kind of surprised to learn he has a strong preference for staying in Canada. If we're ruling out the Wings because they're mediocre, it's not much of a stretch to rule out Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver on the same basis. Toronto and Winnipeg are Cup contenders, but if we're talking about a sign-and-trade...that could be extremely risky for either of those teams. It would almost certainly set the stage for a massive cap crunch in the very near future.

*shrug*

Looking at the Wings specifically...bleh. The more I think about Karlsson donning the Winged Wheel, the more it feels like a pipe dream. The Wings have said they won't be trading for him and I think that's the right call, whether we're talking rental or sign-and-trade. So that already puts us behind a number of teams. If we're not trading for him, we'd have to get him via free agency, which means 1) he'd have to make it to free agency in the first place and 2) we'd have to beat out probably two-thirds of the league in an epic bidding war for the ages. While the Wings do have some selling points, I doubt it'd be enough to land Karlsson.

Does that disappoint me as a Wings fan? Not really. I'm not convinced Karlsson immediately makes us a dark horse Cup contender, even if all he's costing us is money. I don't think our young players are ready for the rigors of cup contention and deep postseason runs, and I'm guessing they won't be ready for at least another couple of years. By that point, Karlsson is 30(+) years old and his body could be breaking down, given his injury history and the minutes he's played. So much of his game is elite skating...and his legs have already seen an entire career's worth of s***. That's a recipe for buyer's remorse. Seems almost inconceivable here in 2018, but I'd say his best years are probably behind him. Playing for a perennial powerhouse team could prolong his prime, but there's no reason to believe the Wings will become that kind of a team within the next few years.

Any way you slice it, Detroit doesn't make much sense as Karlsson's landing spot. IMO.

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

San Jose trying to leak this to drive his price down?? SMORT. 

Okay really though, I think his injury concerns will at least make a bunch of teams steer clear, possibly lowering his next contract some.. It's unfortunate. Hope the fixes work and he's healthy from here on out though.. He's one of the most exciting players in the league imo. 

9 minutes ago, amato said:

San Jose trying to leak this to drive his price down?? SMORT. 

Okay really though, I think his injury concerns will at least make a bunch of teams steer clear, possibly lowering his next contract some.. It's unfortunate. Hope the fixes work and he's healthy from here on out though.. He's one of the most exciting players in the league imo. 

If Karlsson was smart - just stick around SJ for the next 4, or 5 years...And don't be greedy.

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Well, we're due for another lockout soon and that'll probably gift everyone a couple amnesty buyouts again.

Just saying.

Likely one amnesty buyout, and I would hope that would be used on Nielsen or Abdelkader, not a newly signed Erik Karlsson...

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Likely one amnesty buyout, and I would hope that would be used on Nielsen or Abdelkader, not a newly signed Erik Karlsson...

Oh, yeah, I've no interest in signing Karlsson for the term he's probably gonna want. Big money? Sure. Max term? Hell no.

I just think amnesty buyouts could be a key consideration for some suitors. If a team is *right there* and thinks that Karlsson woud put them over the top and help win them a cup or two or three within the next five years, I think they go all in on him. The possibility of amnesty buyout handouts probably just emboldens them.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

If Karlsson was smart - just stick around SJ for the next 4, or 5 years...And don't be greedy.

Could definitely see that happening. Not too sure what they'll be able to afford though. They have less than a mill in cap space and Couture gets a 2 mill raise next year. Pavelski needs a new deal too.. There is the possibility Thornton retires and they don't bring back nyquist though. They also have a fair amount of depth guys with expiring deals. 

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It would be Nielsen. Abby will play out his contract and be re-signed to a team friendlier deal. Helm gets traded in his last year.

I'm not buying any of that. Remember, Yzerman is the GM now, not Holland... And yes, that does change things.

23 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It would be Nielsen. Abby will play out his contract and be re-signed to a team friendlier deal. Helm gets traded in his last year.

I'm right tho, right? Nielsen's contract expires right before the lockout? And Abby only has a year left at that point (most of which will probably be eaten up by the lockout)?

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're not buying that Nielsen would get bought out and Helm traded? Thats the opposite of what Holland would do.

I'm not buying that Nielsen would get bought out before Abdelkader, and that Abdelkader is somehow immune to buyout. Nielsen's contract sucks, but is still a somewhat useful player. Abdelkader's contract sucks, and he sucks. 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not buying that Nielsen would get bought out before Abdelkader, and that Abdelkader is somehow immune to buyout. Nielsen's contract sucks, but is still a somewhat useful player. Abdelkader's contract sucks, and he sucks. 

Nielsen would be on the cruise control portion of that contract. Too old and slow to be worth the salary. Perfect buyout candidate. Abby is younger and could still be a decent bottom 6 F if the price is right.

17 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen would be on the cruise control portion of that contract. Too old and slow to be worth the salary. Perfect buyout candidate. Abby is younger and could still be a decent bottom 6 F if the price is right.

I'm not opposed to a Nielsen buyout in a year or two. I'd welcome it. I just don't get why you don't think there's any way Abby gets bought out at any point...