• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Karlsson on the move?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Imagine if we didn’t keep Lidstrom of Chelios till their 40s. Ryan Suter still plays like he’s 27. Duncan Keith at 35 still puts up big minutes and played all 82 games. 

Karlsson being 28 year old defender must be an exception to defender longevity....

Erik Karlsson is one of the best defensemen in the NHL and will be for a long time. Mark it.

Pretty much what Dabura has already said, but I think you're cherry picking names a little there. One of the best defensemen of all time and one of the most durable defensemen of all time... Suter is actually a pretty good comparable. Minnesota signed him to that massive contract, and while it's been good so far, how do you think it's going to look over the next 6 seasons? And what have the Wild done since signing Suter and Parise in 2012 free agency? Absolutely nothing.

Also, as far as I know, none of those players have had any of the injury concerns that Karlsson has had. So no, Karlsson isn't the exception to the rule because he's 28. He's the exception to the rule (in my opinion) because of all the injury issues he's had over the past few seasons.

If we were in our Cup window, I'd be all for signing Karlsson, even if I thought it might not be smart long-term. We're not in our Cup window. Not even close. 

37 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Also, as far as I know, none of those players have had any of the injury concerns that Karlsson has had. So no, Karlsson isn't the exception to the rule because he's 28. He's the exception to the rule (in my opinion) because of all the injury issues he's had over the past few seasons.

Bingo. I dont recall Lids or Chelios ever having any significant injuries. At least none that were worrisome long term. Knee and back injuries are less concerning to me, but Karlsson has had serious ankle issues. You cant even stand up in skates with bad ankles, let alone skate or pivot. Stay away. We need guys who are going to hit their primes in a few years, not guys who are going to be past it when the team is good again.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

And what have the Wild done since signing Suter and Parise in 2012 free agency? Absolutely nothing 

What’s the point of this statement? Are you implying we shouldnt sign good players because Suter and Parise didn’t accomplish anything with Minnesota?? 

What was the point of Holland signing Hull, Hasek, Robataille for 2002 then?!

Suter and Parise got Minnesota into the playoffs consistently. They were in a 4 year drought before that. Chicago was a powerhouse in the league and so was Pittsburgh. 

Karlsson and Panarin can get us into the playoffs, can get Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi etc tons of experience at high level playoff hockey early in their career. And if lucky can win a cup if our coaching and goaltending can hold up. 

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Knee and back injuries are less concerning to me, but Karlsson has had serious ankle issues. 

Except knee and back injuries are worse than an ankle injury.

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Bingo. I dont recall Lids or Chelios ever having any significant injuries. At least none that were worrisome long term.

Chelios had major groin, knee injuries. Had knee surgery, required cortisone shot in his groin that f***ed up his leg lol.

Dude ended up playing hockey till he was 47. He was fine.

Karlsson will be fine. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

What’s the point of this statement? Are you implying we shouldnt sign good players because Suter and Parise didn’t accomplish anything with Minnesota?? 

What was the point of Holland signing Hull, Hasek, Robataille for 2002 then?!

Suter and Parise got Minnesota into the playoffs consistently. They were in a 4 year drought before that. Chicago was a powerhouse in the league and so was Pittsburgh. 

Karlsson and Panarin can get us into the playoffs, can get Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi etc tons of experience at high level playoff hockey early in their career. And if lucky can win a cup if our coaching and goaltending can hold up. 

No, I'm implying that Minnesota, much like the current Red Wings, were not Cup contenders before or after those two huge signings, and in my opinion will hurt them long term.

You're really going to compare a team that already had Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Larionov, Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Chelios and a rookie Datsyuk adding Hull, Robitaille and Hasek, to this current team adding Panarin and Karlsson??? Not even close to the same. If anything you're proving my point. I've already said, if we were in our Cup window (like that 2002 team), I'd be all for adding one or both, but we aren't so I'm not. There are high-end free agents every. single. year. It's not this year (Panarin / Karlsson) or bust.

Sure, Karlsson and Panarin could get us in the playoffs, but it's not a guarantee as you're suggesting. Besides, I don't think playoffs next season is what's best for this team. I'd much rather have a chance at another top pick (Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Holtz, etc), and go for it in 2020, rather than squeeze into the playoffs on the backs of two veteran free agents. These guys are going to be past their prime, making way too much money for too long when this team is truly ready to compete.

17 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Freidman said on his podcast that he believes Karlsson will find a way to play in Tampa this next year.

Has Tampa reached Detroit dynasty discount level?

Whoever signs Karlsson (assuming it's a 7-year contract) will regret it halfway through the contract. Unless of course he helps his new team win a Cup in the next 3-4 years. In Tampa's case, that could be a real possibility...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Whoever signs Karlsson (assuming it's a 7-year contract) will regret it halfway through the contract. Unless of course he helps his new team win a Cup in the next 3-4 years. In Tampa's case, that could be a real possibility...

I think Friedman was suggesting Karlsson would take a pay cut to play for Tampa

If they sign him for 7 years at 8 mil per, maybe there's a lot less regret.

Or maybe he's willing to take a cut in term to play for Tampa?? 3 or 4 years at 9 mil per to get that cup?

Either way, if Brisebois is serious about pursuing Karlsson and getting Point signed, he's gonna have to move that Callahan contract. If he gets desperate enough maybe we can get that 1st or Foote. Never could have imagined I'd see the day a Foote played in Detroit though... I guess Chelly did it though

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Rutta/Foote

That would be a pretty disgusting defensive lineup. 3 pretty elite Dmen with young soon to be elite Dmen supporting them.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Friedman was suggesting Karlsson would take a pay cut to play for Tampa

If they sign him for 7 years at 8 mil per, maybe there's a lot less regret.

Or maybe he's willing to take a cut in term to play for Tampa?? 3 or 4 years at 9 mil per to get that cup?

Either way, if Brisebois is serious about pursuing Karlsson and getting Point signed, he's gonna have to move that Callahan contract. If he gets desperate enough maybe we can get that 1st or Foote. Never could have imagined I'd see the day a Foote played in Detroit though... I guess Chelly did it though

Hedman - Karlsson
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Rutta/Foote

That would be a pretty disgusting defensive lineup. 3 pretty elite Dmen with young soon to be elite Dmen supporting them.

Not sure how it's possible for TB to get Karlsson, even if they get out of Callahan's contract, there would need to be more moving parts.  They'd have about $14M to sign Karlsson, Point, 3 more forwards and at least 1 more D.

16 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Not sure how it's possible for TB to get Karlsson, even if they get out of Callahan's contract, there would need to be more moving parts.  They'd have about $14M to sign Karlsson, Point, 3 more forwards and at least 1 more D.

I'm sure Yzerman will work his mag... Never mind... :tounge:

32 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Agreed, Yzerman left Brisebois in a rough spot to be honest. He can't really move a Dman, and Yzerman handed out big contracts with NTC's to like every forward.

Assuming they move Callahan, add Foote (925K) to the roster, and add 3 inexpensive forwards (say $1 mil each), that leaves about 10.5 million in cap space to sign both Point and Karlsson.

Let's be generous and say Point signs a 1 year bridge deal for like $6 mil. That leaves 4.5 for Karlsson. They'd have to move another forward. JT Miller has an 8 team no trade list right now. And Killorn's modified NTC clause kicks in this coming season with a 16 team trade list. It's probably have to be on of those two that gets moved.

How about this:

To DET:

Ryan Callahan
JT Miller
1st round pick

To TBL:

Jacob De La Rose
Evgeny Svechnikov
Christopher Ehn
3rd round pick

They get to unload their cap space and get 3 inexpensive forwards they need. Plus Svech might late bloom for them.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Athanasiou - Miller
Helm - Nielsen - Rasmussen
Abdelkader - Glendening - Callahan
Zadina

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agreed, Yzerman left Brisebois in a rough spot to be honest. He can't really move a Dman, and Yzerman handed out big contracts with NTC's to like every forward.

Assuming they move Callahan, add Foote (925K) to the roster, and add 3 inexpensive forwards (say $1 mil each), that leaves about 10.5 million in cap space to sign both Point and Karlsson.

Let's be generous and say Point signs a 1 year bridge deal for like $6 mil. That leaves 4.5 for Karlsson. They'd have to move another forward. JT Miller has an 8 team no trade list right now. And Killorn's modified NTC clause kicks in this coming season with a 16 team trade list. It's probably have to be on of those two that gets moved.

How about this:

To DET:

Ryan Callahan
JT Miller
1st round pick

To TBL:

Jacob De La Rose
Evgeny Svechnikov
Christopher Ehn
3rd round pick

They get to unload their cap space and get 3 inexpensive forwards they need. Plus Svech might late bloom for them.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Athanasiou - Miller
Helm - Nielsen - Rasmussen
Abdelkader - Glendening - Callahan
Zadina

Yuk

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To Detroit:
Ryan Callahan
Tyler Johnson

To Tampa:
Frans Nielsen (50% retained)

Funny thing is that would barely be enough to sign Point plus fill out the rest of the roster. Have to dump Miller and Palat as well, unless Karlsson wants to play for free.

Not saying TB is screwed or anything, since they have enough talent they can afford to lose some, but their cap situation is worse than Toronto. 

59 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Funny thing is that would barely be enough to sign Point plus fill out the rest of the roster. Have to dump Miller and Palat as well, unless Karlsson wants to play for free.

Not saying TB is screwed or anything, since they have enough talent they can afford to lose some, but their cap situation is worse than Toronto. 

Yeah I love how Yzerman loaded them to the brim with 5x5 contracts with NTCs and then just dipped out lol

9 players have NTCs! lol he's worse than Holland

Stevie was going all in for the cup, saw the cap hell comin' and decided to cut n run.