• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hankzet40

Mrazek traded to Philly for Conditional 3rd and 4th Picks

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I would argue that Vegas should have taken Mrazek. Fleury is 33, even if you already know you want him as your starter what are you going to do in the future after he declines, or gets injured? If I recall, they have the cap space, so taking Mrazek is a low risk high reward situation considering his potential (which people still believe is there). But that's for a different thread/topic. The point is, Vegas didn't want Mrazek for free, yet we got Philly to give up something for him. If you don't see the win there, I'm not sure what to say.

Or when you make the playoffs :P 

I think this was a pretty damn good deal considering it could turn into a bit more should things get going for him. And end of the day, if we want a chance to bring him back, we may get it if he goes UFA which is possible, and certainly ideal relative to having to automatically having to drop 4 mil. I think the guy has a ton of upside, but even I never felt great about having to go 4 mil after the shakiness, and I don’t think any of the scams people were talking about would fly in reality any other way. Either way, is what it is. 

21 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Holland also said something like “Were not contenders, but we’re not far away.” Wow man. Denial at its finest. But he also said he’s not focused on this season or next. Hopes to be better by 2019-20. Least there’s that...

We'll we're close in that we probably only need a few elite players. How we get those is a whole other question.

If we had 2008 Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg we'd be contenders. I think. Maybe.

19 hours ago, chaps80 said:

"I got to play more, had the chance to play more minutes. … I didn't play much the first half of the season and I think it was tough for me to find a game when I played once in two weeks, once in three weeks.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but this doesn't explain why he s*** the bed when he was gettings all the starts last season which is why he wasn't getting starts this year.

Edited by Z and D for the C

2 hours ago, Z and D for the C said:

We'll we're close in that we probably only need a few elite players. How we get those is a whole other question.

If we had 2008 Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg we'd be contenders. I think. Maybe.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but this doesn't explain why he s*** the bed when he was gettings all the starts last season which is why he wasn't getting starts this year.

Your right, it doesn’t explain it. But it was his first season as the starting goaltender. He’s not the first to bomb his first season as a starter. He was Howard’s backup the year before. It was his first full season. He played as often as he did because he took the job away at first. Then his play fell off. He was the backup, he shouldn’t have been expected to win all those games. That was Howard’s role. 

Also, there were coaches trying to get him to change his style of play. One that he learned over years and years. It’s hard to just change your whole playing style when your a goalie in a short amount of time. He worked hard over the summer on it. Had he been given a string of starts earlier this season, we may not even have this thread going. 

They gave up on him strangely quickly and pushed him hard to the Flyers, leaving them with Howard and Coreau as the only possible NHL options in the system right now. Any future NHL talent isn’t ready yet, and won’t be for awhile.

There was more to it than just his play and RFA qualifier, although those factored in. When he dragged out negotiations with Holland instead of taking his cap friendly bridge deal, I don’t think Holland ever really got over it. That started the chain of events that led to this.

I’d say there were faults on both sides. Holland’s and Mrazek’s.

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

Your right, it doesn’t explain it. But it was his first season as the starting goaltender. He’s not the first to bomb his first season as a starter. He was Howard’s backup the year before. It was his first full season. He played as often as he did because he took the job away at first. Then his play fell off. He was the backup, he shouldn’t have been expected to win all those games. That was Howard’s role. 

Also, there were coaches trying to get him to change his style of play. One that he learned over years and years. It’s hard to just change your whole playing style when your a goalie in a short amount of time. He worked hard over the summer on it. Had he been given a string of starts earlier this season, we may not even have this thread going. 

They gave up on him strangely quickly and pushed him hard to the Flyers, leaving them with Howard and Coreau as the only possible NHL options in the system right now. Any future NHL talent isn’t ready yet, and won’t be for awhile.

There was more to it than just his play and RFA qualifier, although those factored in. When he dragged out negotiations with Holland instead of taking his cap friendly bridge deal, I don’t think Holland ever really got over it. That started the chain of events that led to this.

Everything in this post is pure speculation and bulls***. 

Also Jeff Salajko was Mrazek's goalie coach. Same guy that coached him in AHL. But you know, keep making excuses. 

Actually, I think he let his early success go to his head. And as the opposition started figuring him out, he wasn't as willing as he should have been to improve and make changes. He wasn't able to adapt because of it. From what I remember reading, he did finally address his his issues over the summer and worked hard at getting better. Unfortunately, I think it was too little, too late for him. And that's on Mrazek, not Holland.

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Cutting through the drivel, here's each of your arguments broken down:

Paragraph 1: He's new to the game, and shouldn't be expected to win. Howard should have been the starter.

Paragraph 2: It's the coaches fault, the same coach that helped him to the starting role in the first place.

Paragraph 3: Howard and Coreau are now our goalie tandem.

Paragraph 4: Holland's bitterness is the root cause of Mrazek being traded.

Which one you wanna hash out first?

Flame on

9 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Everything in this post is pure speculation and bulls***. 

Also Jeff Salajko was Mrazek's goalie coach. Same guy that coached him in AHL. But you know, keep making excuses. 

Yep, pure bulls***. Salajko was his coach in GR. Big deal. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t trying to get him to change his style of play. Mrazek’s frustrations and “attitude” stemmed from that. That’s pretty well known.

Not uncommon for bad blood to build in tense contract negotiations where the GM is offering $2.85 million per and the player wants $5 million per. When Mrazek’s play fell off after that deal, i’m sure that didn’t help.

If you don’t think the trade was pushed, you haven’t been keeping up. And why would you leave your goalie options so thin? If Howard gets hurt it’s gonna be Coreau and McCollum handling things. Let that sink in a bit. 

There was more to this than not wanting to qualify him at $4 million, though it was a factor. Do you read other boards and opinion articles? Lots of stuff out there.

But I’m sure everyone’s only speculating.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Cutting through the drivel, here's each of your arguments broken down:

Paragraph 1: He's new to the game, and shouldn't be expected to win. Howard should have been the starter.

Paragraph 2: It's the coaches fault, the same coach that helped him to the starting role in the first place.

Paragraph 3: Howard and Coreau are now our goalie tandem.

Paragraph 4: Holland's bitterness is the root cause of Mrazek being traded.

Which one you wanna hash out first?

Flame on

Howard WAS the starter. Just because he sucked it doesn’t give him a free pass. Mrazek is automatically expected to shoulder the load for Jimmy when he may not be ready for it? First full season. Yeah he’s absolutely ready.

Not coaches fault, but didn’t help him much. Same coach or not, if you try to change a goalies style in the course of a season, maybe expect some problems.

Howard and Coreau. Fine. Then who? McCollum? 

His bitterness isn’t the entire cause but the length of time he was given before he was expendable makes it seem partly to blame. 

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Yep, pure bulls***. Salajko was his coach in GR. Big deal. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t trying to get him to change his style of play. Mrazek’s frustrations and “attitude” stemmed from that. That’s pretty well known.

Not uncommon for bad blood to build in tense contract negotiations where the GM is offering $2.85 million per and the player wants $5 million per. When Mrazek’s play fell off after that deal, i’m sure that didn’t help.

If you don’t think the trade was pushed, you haven’t been keeping up. And why would you leave your goalie options so thin? If Howard gets hurt it’s gonna be Coreau and McCollum handling things. Let that sink in a bit. 

There was more to this than not wanting to qualify him at $4 million, though it was a factor. Do you read other boards and opinion articles? Lots of stuff out there.

More meaningless speculation.

Yawn. Got any real s*** to talk about or we gonna keep making hypothetical excuses for Mrazek. FYI he's gone. He's over it and you should be too. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Lemme break this down for you kickazz...

Paragraph 1: Salakjo changed his systems while Petr was a Red Wing. This caused Petr to be angry. Which in turn caused Petr to play badly. (Source: common knowledge)

Paragraph 2: Contract negotiations were tense. This contributed to Petr's poor play.

Paragraph 3: The trade was pushed (source common knowledge). After said trade, the Red Wings have less depth in goal.

Paragraph 4: Multiple factors led to this trade. You should read more.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lemme break this down for you kickazz...

Paragraph 1: Salakjo changed his systems while Petr was a Red Wing. This caused Petr to be angry. Which in turn caused Petr to play badly. (Source: common knowledge)

Paragraph 2: Contract negotiations were tense. This contributed to Petr's poor play.

Paragraph 3: The trade was pushed (source common knowledge). After said trade, the Red Wings have less depth in goal.

Paragraph 4: Multiple factors led to this trade. You should read more.

It's appalling that grown adults actually argue this way. 

Edited by kickazz

7 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Howard WAS the starter. Just because he sucked it doesn’t give him a free pass. Mrazek is automatically expected to shoulder the load for Jimmy when he may not be ready for it? First full season. Yeah he’s absolutely ready.

Not coaches fault, but didn’t help him much. Same coach or not, if you try to change a goalies style in the course of a season, maybe expect some problems.

Howard and Coreau. Fine. Then who? McCollum? 

His bitterness isn’t the entire cause but the length of time he was given before he was expendable makes it seem partly to blame. 

Paragraph 1: I agree with you. He clearly was not ready.

Paragraph 2: Please provide a source on his goalie coach changing Petr's style in Detroit

Paragraph 3:  Why does McCollum being the 3rd string concern you at all? Were tanking

Paragraph 4: So you would qualify Mrazek?

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Never heard of that anywhere. Please provide a link if you have it. I'd be interested.

If anything, Bedard would have being more likely the one trying to change his style. Bedard helped Howard and Ozzy's more safe positioning style. Bedard was let go just as Mrazek was named the starter. All the discussion I saw was that Mrazek was close with Salajko and this hiring was a further commitment to Mrazek.

There were articles to this effect at the time: 

Title: New Goalie coach Jeff Salajko has bond with Petr Mrazek

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/21/detroit-red-wings-goaltender-coach-jeff-salajko-petr-mrazek/84714326/

“Petr and I clicked right away,” Salajko said. “I enjoy coaching him.”

And he makes direct comments to contradict you saying he was trying to change Mrazek:

“It’s really not reinventing Petr’s game — it’s more of a fine tuning. Petr makes a lot of highlight reel saves.”

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6693155-kitchener-native-salajko-joins-red-wings-as-goalie-coach/

"One of my strengths has been my relationship with the guys and the trust," he said. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Actually, I think he let his early success go to his head. And as the opposition started figuring him out, he wasn't as willing as he should have been to improve and make changes. He wasn't able to adapt because of it. From what I remember reading, he did finally address his his issues over the summer and worked hard at getting better. Unfortunately, I think it was too little, too late for him. And that's on Mrazek, not Holland.

Too little too late shouldn’t be a problem for a rebuilding team with an injury prone starter in a slump, and the only other option besides Mrazek being Coreau. 

Cap space and that pesky qualifier though. Too bad all those s***ty contracts Holland has handed out force him to keep old dead weight and trade younger players. When’s the Tatar and AA trades going down? 

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Too little too late shouldn’t be a problem for a rebuilding team with an injury prone starter in a slump, and the only other option besides Mrazek being Coreau. 

Cap space and that pesky qualifier though. Too bad all those s***ty contracts Holland has handed out force him to keep old dead weight and trade younger players. When’s the Tatar and AA trades going down? 

P1: Why is goalie depth important to a rebuilding team?

P2: I guess greedy Petr should have taken the bridge deal eh?

18 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Never heard of that anywhere. Please provide a link if you have it. I'd be interested.

If anything, Bedard would have being more likely the one trying to change his style. Bedard helped Howard and Ozzy's more safe positioning style. Bedard was let go just as Mrazek was named the starter. All the discussion I saw was that Salajko was that Mrazek was close with Salajko and this hiring was a further commitment to Mrazek.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/21/detroit-red-wings-goaltender-coach-jeff-salajko-petr-mrazek/84714326/

And he makes direct comments to contradict you saying he was trying to change Mrazek:

“It’s really not reinventing Petr’s game — it’s more of a fine tuning. Petr makes a lot of highlight reel saves.”

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6693155-kitchener-native-salajko-joins-red-wings-as-goalie-coach/

"One of my strengths has been my relationship with the guys and the trust," he said. 

What are you doing? You're exposing chaps. That's mean. Only I get to be mean around here! 

2 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

If anything, Bedard would have being more likely the one trying to change his style. Bedard helped Howard and Ozzy's more safe positioning style. Bedard was let go just as Mrazek was named the starter. All the discussion I saw was that Mrazek was close with Salajko and this hiring was a further commitment to Mrazek.

PVD, Im chaps and don't feel that i need to provide a source, the info is "pretty well known"

On 2018-02-22 at 1:37 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

PVD, Im chaps and don't feel that i need to provide a source, the info is "pretty well known"

I looked for a bit but couldn’t find it. Only bits about trying to change parts of his game, which he had a hard time with and didn’t respond too well to attitude wise.

Othef tning I came across was that he really wasnt happy that Holland couldn’t/wouldn’t  trade Howard, and pretty much told him so. Howard’s contract sucks, but he wasn’t willing to budge on not retaining salary. Of course he would have had to retain salary on that contract to move it. No other way. He could have got it done. Can’t fault Mrazek for being a bit pissed that the starter he supposedly replaced was still around cause Holand sucks at the cap. I remember the Hasek/Joseph thing was tense to say the least. How she goes.

But anyways, it’s all in the past.  Mrazek is gone and he’s happy. Won his first start as a Flyer, allowing one goal. 4 more wins and a playoff berth and the Wings get their third.

This is pure speculation, but some Flyers fans are saying they think Hextall will cut him off after 4 wins before the playoffs to make the fourth stick. Even if he makes the playoffs, but only wins 4 games, pick stays as is. I’m sure they won’t pull that s*** though.

Resigning might happen though ,if they like him and the Wings get the other third. Neuvirth is always injured, Hextall is fed up, and they may be finished with him and go forward with Elliott and Mrazek instead. 

32 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

So they´re cool with renting a player for four games for 4th pick? Trololo...

Well, he won’t win every game he plays, or play every game. He is their starter at this point, but Lyon will get to play as well.

But ya, Flyers fans trolling on that one. Also saying when Elliott is ready they’ll rotate goalies in the playoffs somehow so Mrazek doesn’t hit the 8 win mark if/when they make the ECF so the third is all they have to hand over. Which is pretty much the highest pick Detroit will get out of it anyways I figure. 

Theyre trolling. But they sure do seem happy and think Mrazek was a steal because he was heating up and due to their current prospect pool and pile of upcoming draft picks. A third rounder is nothing.

22 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

At least we can see Red Wings pads in PO. 

This is strange, ok.. 

636548177991798394-AP-18051858478880.jpg

Yes it is, but it is what it is. I hate the trade because he was still the best NHL ready goalie in the Wings system, despite the haters, but I like the fact he gets a fresh start somewhere he’s actually wanted where they’re glad to have him come in. Gets to play behind a team that can actually defend and block shots and help out their goalies. Plus playoffs are cool.

Looking forward to seeing his new painted mask and gear.

Petr Mrazek to the conference finals.  God, Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Buddah, Shiva/Vishnu, , Ahura Mazda, Confucius, Harambe, Trump and any other diety I may have missed, please make it happen. 

Edited by kickazz