No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kickazz

2/24 GDT - Hurricanes at Red Wings - 7:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, brett said:

lol this place is booming omg

our defense is scoring like crazy wtf

I think the goalie battle/flame war was the last half interesting thing going on. Now it's just like, whatever. Trade Green and Howard if possible. After that, tank hard.

3-1 lead on 17 shots. Tankin' ain't easy in Detroit.

59 minutes ago, brett said:

lol this place is booming omg

our defense is scoring like crazy wtf

Don't worry. Things will pick up after the TDL when everyone chimes in about how much Holland sucks because they didn't get what they wanted. Then they'll disappear until July 1st and sign in just to whine and then leave again.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

40 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

Wings win and Petr also wins...will Z catch Fedorov in the red wings scoring race?   If he finishes his 3 years left he should but I read he probably wont play the final 2 years of his contract, it'd be nice to see him get there

Easily.

52 minutes ago, datterberg1340 said:

nice to see them win every once in a while

Z now tied for 5th all-time in goals for the Wings

And some people still don’t want his number retired. 

What a joke. 

8 hours ago, chaps80 said:

More points. Dahlin is slippin away. Well, he probably already did. tenth overall pick here we come!!!

Dahlin isn't "slipping away". Why would we get the 10th overall pick? We're currently sitting in 8th (from the bottom), so that would mean you fully expect 2 teams ahead of us in the standings to pick 1,2 or 3 in the draft... You think a team with worse odds than us can win the lottery, but we can't? Pretty pessimistic mind set isn't it?

5 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Yep.  Barring some absolutely incredible luck, I've just about given up on getting Dahlin.

It's not going to take "incredible luck". Literally every year a team jumps ahead of a team with better odds. Whoever finished last place in the standings, there's actually a higher probability that they don't win the draft lottery than they do. They only have an 18% chance to pick first overall. That means there's an 82% chance that they don't. We currently have a 5.8% chance to land Dahlin. No, they're not great odds, but give me those odds in the Power Ball or Mega Millions and I'd like my chances. We also have an 18.3% chance of getting a top 3 pick. Slightly better odds than the worst team in the league has at Dahlin... We dropped back two spots last year. The chance of that happening again are likely slim. I like our chances of moving up this year. Maybe we luck out and get Dahlin, or maybe we get number 2 or 3. Either way, I think we're going to get a very good player in this year's draft.

You also have to consider the fact that we're going to (hopefully) sell off some pieces by tomorrow. That could potentially drop us down another couple spots in the standings, which would *ever so slightly* improve our lottery odds.

We also have a very difficult schedule down the stretch, which could bode well for us dropping a few extra points. We have NYR, STL, WPG, MIN, BOS, VGK, CBJ, SJS, LAK, ANA, COL, PHI, WSH, TOR, MTL, PIT, BUF, OTT, CBJ, MTL, NYI. Of those 21 games, we have 3 back-to-backs, 7 at home, 14 on the road, and only 5 of them are against teams with no chance of the playoffs (possibly 7, if CBJ and NYI are out by April).

I've disagreed with a lot of Holland's moves over the years. Mainly free agent signings and trades, and a couple draft picks along the way, but one thing I do agree with him on, is keeping the winning culture. I'm glad we're not a team that is going full tank mode. I like that we're still remaining somewhat competitive on a nightly basis. I don't want us to tear it all down and trade everyone. I do hope he trades a few players by tomorrow though. When you're in our position, UFA's must go, and if teams are calling on players under contract, you still have to listen to every offer out there...

Best case (somewhat likely) scenario, we trade 2-3 players by tomorrow's deadline, fall another spot or two in the standings and win the lottery with a top three (hopefully number one) spot in the draft.

14 hours ago, kickazz said:

Easily.

I'm not sure how easy it will be for Hank.  He needs 65 goals with 3 seasons left, even if he played all 3 seasons itll be tough for him.  He has 9 goals so far this year, and he also said in a Swedish interview that he plans on retiring with 2 years left on his contract

linky:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-red-wings-henrik-zetterberg-plans-retire-two-years/

19 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I'm not sure how easy it will be for Hank.  He needs 65 goals with 3 seasons left, even if he played all 3 seasons itll be tough for him.  He has 9 goals so far this year, and he also said in a Swedish interview that he plans on retiring with 2 years left on his contract

linky:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-red-wings-henrik-zetterberg-plans-retire-two-years/

Thought you meant catching up in overall scoring. Like points. Goals probably not. Feds has 954 points for the Wings though. 

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Thought you meant catching up in overall scoring. Like points. Goals probably not. Feds has 954 points for the Wings though. 

Oh sorry, yeah I was hoping if he had a solid 3 year finish he'd pass him in the goals of all time race-which could happen if he plays out his contract with an awesome finish.   I never looked at the total points until now and yeah he'll easily pass him, which is sweet too.  

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Dahlin isn't "slipping away". Why would we get the 10th overall pick? We're currently sitting in 8th (from the bottom), so that would mean you fully expect 2 teams ahead of us in the standings to pick 1,2 or 3 in the draft... You think a team with worse odds than us can win the lottery, but we can't? Pretty pessimistic mind set isn't it?

It's not going to take "incredible luck". Literally every year a team jumps ahead of a team with better odds. Whoever finished last place in the standings, there's actually a higher probability that they don't win the draft lottery than they do. They only have an 18% chance to pick first overall. That means there's an 82% chance that they don't. We currently have a 5.8% chance to land Dahlin. No, they're not great odds, but give me those odds in the Power Ball or Mega Millions and I'd like my chances. We also have an 18.3% chance of getting a top 3 pick. Slightly better odds than the worst team in the league has at Dahlin... We dropped back two spots last year. The chance of that happening again are likely slim. I like our chances of moving up this year. Maybe we luck out and get Dahlin, or maybe we get number 2 or 3. Either way, I think we're going to get a very good player in this year's draft.

You also have to consider the fact that we're going to (hopefully) sell off some pieces by tomorrow. That could potentially drop us down another couple spots in the standings, which would *ever so slightly* improve our lottery odds.

We also have a very difficult schedule down the stretch, which could bode well for us dropping a few extra points. We have NYR, STL, WPG, MIN, BOS, VGK, CBJ, SJS, LAK, ANA, COL, PHI, WSH, TOR, MTL, PIT, BUF, OTT, CBJ, MTL, NYI. Of those 21 games, we have 3 back-to-backs, 7 at home, 14 on the road, and only 5 of them are against teams with no chance of the playoffs (possibly 7, if CBJ and NYI are out by April).

I've disagreed with a lot of Holland's moves over the years. Mainly free agent signings and trades, and a couple draft picks along the way, but one thing I do agree with him on, is keeping the winning culture. I'm glad we're not a team that is going full tank mode. I like that we're still remaining somewhat competitive on a nightly basis. I don't want us to tear it all down and trade everyone. I do hope he trades a few players by tomorrow though. When you're in our position, UFA's must go, and if teams are calling on players under contract, you still have to listen to every offer out there...

Best case (somewhat likely) scenario, we trade 2-3 players by tomorrow's deadline, fall another spot or two in the standings and win the lottery with a top three (hopefully number one) spot in the draft.

I just threw 10th overall out there. Could be lower. We’ll see if Holland sells more pieces off tomorrow and how many losses pile up until the end of the season.

Two wins in a row now doesn’t help that cause though. Although the Canes and Rags are bottom teams too. Have to try to lose to lose to them, which  they won’t do of course.

On 2018-02-24 at 10:48 PM, kickazz said:

Easily.

And some people still don’t want his number retired. 

What a joke. 

Some people don’t want Z’s number retired? Probably the same ones who are against Osgood’s number going up. Ridiculous. Those are the naturally the next two that should.

Fedorov and Datsuyk I can see the debates on, due to how they left Detroit.

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I just threw 10th overall out there. Could be lower. We’ll see if Holland sells more pieces off tomorrow and how many losses pile up until the end of the season.

Two wins in a row now doesn’t help that cause though. Although the Canes and Rags are bottom teams too. Have to try to lose to lose to them, which  they won’t do of course.

You're missing the point... As long as we miss the playoffs, we have a shot at Dahlin / top three pick. The draft lottery is set up to prevent teams from tanking, yet fans still want their team to tank... Have you looked at the lottery odds? If you haven't, I suggest you do. And understand that there is not a huge difference in odds finishing a spot or two higher or lower in the standings. The odds of the worst team in the league dropping from 1 down to 2, 3 or 4 is much higher than them actually getting the 1st overall pick. As a matter fact, the odds of them getting the 4th overall pick is higher than them getting any of 1, 2 or 3 combined...

Here's a scenario for you to consider... We're one point behind a team (let's say the Rangers) in our last game of the season vs the Islanders. We currently sit with the 7th best odds (6.7% Dahlin, 20.9% top 3). If we win that game, we would finish with the 8th best odds (5.8% Dahlin, 18.3% top 3). You want to lose that game to improve your odds right? Well we lose that game, and the Rangers win the lottery and take Dahlin. That could have been us if we had just won that last game, that we wanted to lose so badly... The point is, there are no guarantees. I would have thought the Flyers moving up to the 2nd overall pick with the 13th best odds (2.4%) last year would have put the tank mentality to rest... I guess not...