• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Grade the deadline

Rate this topic

Holland's deadline grade  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think of the job he did?

I said earlier not trading Green for something, even a 4th rounder, would be a failure.  He got potentially more than I expected for Mrazek, and the Tatar deal is potentially a good haul depending on how they use the picks, but I have a hard time believing they couldn't have gotten a conditional pick for Green based on how many games he plays and how far the team goes in the playoffs, similar to the Mrazek deal.  I get the feeling Holland wants to keep him around and was looking for an excuse not to trade him in case he decided he liked his new team better.

I chose B but if B+ were an option, I’d do that instead.

I’ll miss Tatar.. I’ve really enjoyed watching him. But, in addition to being a bigger return than most expected; the trade sheds salary and term, we have guys who are ready to take his spot in then lineup, and we piled some more picks up with it.. to me, it shows an actual effort toward a rebuild. And we’ve got the offensive talent to make it a relatively short rebuild - provided we have and/or can find some matching young talent on defense. I think we have some solid defensive prospects but hope we can find a true top pairing guy this draft. 

I think I’ve come to terms with the Green non-trade, so I don’t knock the deadline grade too much for it. Obviously, it’s a bummer.. but you can’t make teams trade you. Even if we were to settle for a small return, the other team would still have to be willing to give up a roster spot and at least 3 mill in cap to an injured guy. I’d be cautious of adding a rental who was injured too, if I were an opposing GM. 

I gave it a B.  I went into this trade deadline with the mindset that we need to free up cap space for next year.  Larkin, Mantha, AA all need new contracts and we were right up against the cap.  Mrazek is gone.  Tatar and his $5.3 mil contract is gone.  Mike Green and his $6 mil will be off the books this summer as well.  There's potential that we could re-sign him, which I wouldn't be opposed to as good defensemen are hard to find, but he'll be 33 next year and I don't see why someone with his skills at his age would want to say with a team that's in a rebuilding process.  So in all likelihood, we'll have another $6 mil in cap space.  Which, obviously, is great.  Nyquist, Kronwall and Howard are all up after next year, so that's another $15 mil there.  I think we're in good shape, cap wise, to resign some key players for our future.  We don't want a situation where we're losing these guys because we're locked in with an underperforming vet.

The one mark against Holland for this deadline is the inability to move Green.  Yes, I know he was injured and his NTC limited where he could go, but why wasn't he traded well before his injury?  Why wasn't he traded right after the All Star game?  Why are we risking the potential of him getting injured and waiting until the last minute to deal him?  I get it, hindsight is 20/20, but its not like his value was going to increase anymore.  My point is, all of this should have been handled before his injury occurred.  

I'll Give it a B, reason being is that he did make a good deal for tatar, and he got rid of mrazek, which all in the inevitable end makes out better for Detroit. I mean we got what, 11 picks? there is bound to be one or two that could be nhl ready! I am not sure if most would agree with me on that, but It is a possibly  is not ? 

anyhow, LGRW!

I gave it a B as well.

I thought Holland should've aggressively tried to move Green last year (and I posted as much last season).  We should've retained 1/2 of his cap hit for 1.5 seasons and moved him at last year's deadline for quite a haul since he wouldn't have been a rental.  

As far as this deadline, given that he was injured and didn't sound like there was much flexibility on where he could be traded given the NTC, I can't ding him too much for it.  Tampa may have been the only team with genuine interest, but only as a backup plan relative to McDonagh.

Like has been mentioned, it's hard to believe Green couldn't have been traded for something under conditions of him playing x number of games in the regular season / playoffs. The return on Tatar was massive. I was expecting something in the ballpark of a 2nd and mid tier prospect, getting that 1st along with it was huge. I didn't like the Mrazek trade. I give him a generous C...

Tatar trade an unexpected nice payoff.
Green Should have been traded, it is blasphemy and heresy not to. Even a 3rd would have been acceptable given the info we recieved right after the deadline. I am sure something could have been arranged like krsmith mentioned in the post just before mine.

C-

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

4 deals needed to be made to make this an A.

1) goalie trade

2) Tatar or Nyquist Trade

3) Green Trade

4) Picks/Prospects Trade (a second, a third, and Hicketts for a first, etc)

Holland got 2 of the 4, so he gets a C.  The magnitude of the Tatar trade bumps him up another grade but is offset by the magnitude of the Green failure.

Looks like someone's become a Holland supporter

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

1) goalie trade

3) Green Trade

Holland got 2 of the 4, so he gets a C.  The magnitude of the Tatar trade bumps him up another grade but is offset by the magnitude of the Green failure.

Actually he got 3 of the 4. he traded a goalie, just a few days earlier. If Green weren't injured, he would've gotten the fourth deal you mentioned, so I really give him an A-, because I would've liked to see another salary shed, but there was pressing need for it, maybe next TDL there'll be a market for Nyquist, Howard and E.

Edited by LeftWinger

9 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

1) goalie trade

3) Green Trade

How is the lack of a Green trade a failure. Guy hasn't played in 3 weeks. McDonaugh and Karlsson were ahead of him in the pecking order.  It's been reported that he wasn't even asked to waive his no trade which means that although he gave a list there was no interest and the Wings were never even forced to ask him to waive. 

Can't trade a guy if no one wants him. 

Edited by puckbags

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Like has been mentioned, it's hard to believe Green couldn't have been traded for something under conditions of him playing x number of games in the regular season / playoffs. The return on Tatar was massive. I was expecting something in the ballpark of a 2nd and mid tier prospect, getting that 1st along with it was huge. I didn't like the Mrazek trade. I give him a generous C...

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Green is a Holland slappy.  And so Holland kept him.  Notice the 3 guys that got shopped/shipped this year were all 3 guys that didnt drink Holland's coolaide?

How does Sheahan fit into that theory? I didn't see any conflict there whatsoever. Or do you mean Ton Wilson or Sproul? Those guys also I can't think of any conflict.

And, yes, 5 trades, not 3, this year.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3 hours ago, puckbags said:

How is the lack of a Green trade a failure. Guy hasn't played in 3 weeks. McDonaugh and Karlsson were ahead of him in the pecking order.  It's been reported that he wasn't even asked to waive his no trade which means that although he gave a list there was no interest and the Wings were never even forced to ask him to waive. 

Can't trade a guy if no one wants him. 

Its a push at this point. If Green re-signs, no harm, no foul. If Green isn't resigned , than its a failure IMO.

I voted an A. My reasoning being that given the circumstances, I think he did the best he could. You can't hold Green's injury against Holland.

10 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

On average of our votes here so far, he gets a B-, which is the right grade in my opinion. Would give him even more if I had proof that there really wasnt anything possible regarding Green.

I was going back and forth between A and B, I went with A, but I can see the logic for a B.

21 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Green is a Holland slappy.  And so Holland kept him.  Notice the 3 guys that got shopped/shipped this year were all 3 guys that didnt drink Holland's coolaide?

You're not even making sense. A slappy?  Instead of blaming Holland for not trading him you should actually blame him for the NTC/NMC he gave him which Green was well in his rights to exercise as part of his CONTRACT.  He gave a two team list to Holland and they couldn't work out a deal with those teams. Read the stories. He wasn't even approached to waive meaning they didn't even get an offer.