• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Svechnikov being called up from GR

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Backes got 3 games? Good. Much worse than anything Wit got called for.

46 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

I hope this gets him going and he can get himself in the show full time next season.

He's progressing slowly. I'm actually surprised they're bringing him up at all this season. I wouldn't expect to see him on the roster to start the season. Most likely a late season call up next year.

When they traded Tatar, I was thinking they would call up Puempel. Would like to see what he can do in a bottom 6 role. 

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I've been looking forward to a Svechnikov call up, I'm still fairly optimistic about this kid. Unfortunate about Nielsen though, he's a solid player. Is there a clip of the Backes hit anywhere? I didn't see it and didn't realize it was suspension worthy.

It was a hit to the head. It was apparently worse than it looked. I don't think it was a "dirty" hit. Maybe late, but more of a fly-by. Love Ericsson sticking up for his teammate.

Here's a link:

31 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It was a hit to the head. It was apparently worse than it looked. I don't think it was a "dirty" hit. Maybe late, but more of a fly-by. Love Ericsson sticking up for his teammate.

Here's a link:

What? 

It was literally his shoulder to the side of Nielsen’s face. Unless by “I don’t think it was a dirty hit” you meant that you don’t think it was intentional? I guess I could see that argument.. not that it really makes it that much less suspension worthy. 

Anyway, I’m also excited to see Svech up with the big club though. He’s progressed a little slower than I had hoped when we drafted him but I’m excited to see his progress anyway. Just gotta get him back to Grand Rapids in time for me to see him play next month :P 

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I've been looking forward to a Svechnikov call up, I'm still fairly optimistic about this kid. Unfortunate about Nielsen though, he's a solid player. Is there a clip of the Backes hit anywhere? I didn't see it and didn't realize it was suspension worthy.

I'm hoping it's just a down season for him, but it's been tough to watch (not that I've watched many Griffins games this year...). He showed a lot of promise in his rookie campaign, but really regressed this season. Sophomore slump? Let's hope so. I don't expect him to be anything more than a middle six winger at the NHL level though...

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He's progressing slowly. I'm actually surprised they're bringing him up at all this season. I wouldn't expect to see him on the roster to start the season. Most likely a late season call up next year.

When they traded Tatar, I was thinking they would call up Puempel. Would like to see what he can do in a bottom 6 role. 

I'm not surprised to see him called up. Holland said he'd get a look at some point this season a couple weeks ago. I don't see Puempel as anything more than a career AHLer, maybe bottom 6 winger. I'd much prefer give the kid another look. Besides, he's a much better replacement for Tatar (now Nielsen) in my opinion.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I wouldn't expect to see Svech make the club out of camp next season, but I wouldn't really be surprised if he doesn't either. He's going to need a strong playoff run, long summer of training, and big training camp next fall to make it happen. It's definitely a possibiliy though.

4 hours ago, amato said:

What? 

It was literally his shoulder to the side of Nielsen’s face. Unless by “I don’t think it was a dirty hit” you meant that you don’t think it was intentional? I guess I could see that argument.. not that it really makes it that much less suspension worthy. 

Anyway, I’m also excited to see Svech up with the big club though. He’s progressed a little slower than I had hoped when we drafted him but I’m excited to see his progress anyway. Just gotta get him back to Grand Rapids in time for me to see him play next month :P 

Yes, this is what I am saying. I don't think you can be "accidentally" dirty. There were other reasons too. Backes didn't line him up and take Nielsen out. Stupid hit. Worthy of suspension because the head was invoIved, and Nielsen was injured, but not what I would call "dirty". I posted a link to the NHL's website explaining the suspension in the other thread so as to not further deviate this one.

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I remember when players were supposed to take care of themselves and watch for hits.  Most of the guys who played in the 80s and 90s wouldn't be able to play now, including Konstantinov and Stevens.

Looks like we are making progress then.

Svechnikov switched from number 37 to 77 (the number he's been wearing in GR).

Starting on the 3rd line with Abdelkader and Athanasiou.

Also worth noting that the FML line is being reunited with Frk moving up to the 2nd line with Larkin and Mantha.

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not surprised to see him called up. Holland said he'd get a look at some point this season a couple weeks ago. I don't see Puempel as anything more than a career AHLer, maybe bottom 6 winger. I'd much prefer give the kid another look. Besides, he's a much better replacement for Tatar (now Nielsen) in my opinion.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I wouldn't expect to see Svech make the club out of camp next season, but I wouldn't really be surprised if he doesn't either. He's going to need a strong playoff run, long summer of training, and big training camp next fall to make it happen. It's definitely a possibiliy though.

Agreed. But I would like to see if he's a decent plug, at least as a 4th liner. If so, he's a lot cheaper than some of the other contracts on the 4th line right now. He only signed for $750K this past year, and he's an RFA after this season. If someone can be unloaded, Puempel could be a cheap replacement at the bottom of the roster to free up cap space.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Agreed. But I would like to see if he's a decent plug, at least as a 4th liner. If so, he's a lot cheaper than some of the other contracts on the 4th line right now. He only signed for $750K this past year, and he's an RFA after this season. If someone can be unloaded, Puempel could be a cheap replacement at the bottom of the roster to free up cap space.

I agree, but those 4th line players on big contracts can be moved regardless of whether or not Puempel can hack it. Turgeon is more than capable. Then between Puempel, Tangradi, Street, Lorito, Ford, or free agent, you can fill out a 4th line. Long term, high salary contracts should never be given out to 4th line forwards in my opinion...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but those 4th line players on big contracts can be moved regardless of whether or not Puempel can hack it. Turgeon is more than capable. Then between Puempel, Tangradi, Street, Lorito, Ford, or free agent, you can fill out a 4th line. Long term, high salary contracts should never be given out to 4th line forwards in my opinion...

Pyro+is+only+hard+to+kill+if+you+suck+ge

So far, the for sure F on the roster next year are: Abby, AA, Bert, Frk, Glenny, Helm, Larkin, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, Wit, Z.

That's 12. Room for only one more without making any other moves. My guess is that Svech makes the opening day roster, Rass goes back to juniors, and Turgeon is first call up.

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha

AA-Z-Svech

Bert-Nielsen-Abby

Helm-Glenny-Frk

Wit

51 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So far, the for sure F on the roster next year are: Abby, AA, Bert, Frk, Glenny, Helm, Larkin, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, Wit, Z.

That's 12. Room for only one more without making any other moves. My guess is that Svech makes the opening day roster, Rass goes back to juniors, and Turgeon is first call up.

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha

AA-Z-Svech

Bert-Nielsen-Abby

Helm-Glenny-Frk

Wit

I'm counting on a trade or two. I'll be surprised if they send Rasmussen back to junior.

Can't think of a no-brainer AA trade, but maybe that AA + Vegas's 1st + one of our 2nds for someone's early-mid 1st idea becomes reality and AA's departure frees up a spot for Rasmussen.

Bertuzzi  Zetterberg  Nyquist
Abdelkader  Larkin  Mantha
Helm  Nielsen  Svechnikov
Rasmussen  Glendening  Frk
Witkowski

If we luck into drafting Andrei Svechnikov, we could conceivably fit him in as well. Have the Svechnikovs and Rasmussen and Frk constantly battling all season long for three spots. 12 F in the lineup + 2 reserve F + 6 D in the lineup + 1 reserve D + 2 G = 23-man roster. I guess they might want to carry 8 defensemen because of Kronwall, but maybe not.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I guess they might want to carry 8 defensemen because of Kronwall, but maybe not.

Wait! Witkowski can be a forward or a defenseman! yusss

Edited by Dabura