• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Drafted First rounders

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Genuine question , can first round draft picks refuse to sign for the team that has drafted them? 

Yes, but it rarely happens. Lindros refused to play for Quebec back in '91, which led to the blockbuster trade with Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, but it rarely happens. Lindros refused to play for Quebec back in '91, which led to the blockbuster trade with Philadelphia.

And as revenge they took a LONG time to induct him into the Hall of Fame

1 hour ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Genuine question , can first round draft picks refuse to sign for the team that has drafted them? 

They can, like krsmith mentioned. But they are also giving up their chance to play in the NHL because the team that drafted them retains their rights and they can't play for any other NHL franchise until those rights are traded or expire. That's why unless ur a high profile prospect like Lindros who can force a trade, its unwise to do so cuz the team that holds ur rights can choose to hold on to them for 2 years for juniors and 4 years for college and european players. Then you can be signed by other NHL franchises. He wasn't a 1st rounder, but Jimmy Vesey did that recently.

2 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Yes as far as i know it's happened twice? Eric Lindros refused to sign with Quebec and Justin Schultz with Anaheim when he finally signed with Edmonton. Edit my bad Justin Schultz was a 2nd round pick for Anaheim not 1st round pick but he did refuse to sign with the Ducks.

Edited by LoveMyRedWings56

Lindros was such a whiner about the Quebec thing. Funny how them being forced to move him resulted in that franchise winning two Cups and being a perennial contender, while Lindros himself only got to the Finals once, where his team was quickly swept. But had he stayed in Quebec, that Avs powerhouse wouldn't have happened, so he may not have won a Cup anyways.

He was a hell of a player though. I remember how much hype surrounded him in the OHL and the NHL draft, even as a ten year old kid.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Lindros was such a whiner about the Quebec thing. Funny how them being forced to move him resulted in that franchise winning two Cups and being a perennial contender, while Lindros himself only got to the Finals once, where his team was quickly swept. But had he stayed in Quebec, that Avs powerhouse wouldn't have happened, so he may not have won a Cup anyways.

He was a hell of a player though. I remember how much hype surrounded him in the OHL and the NHL draft, even as a ten year old kid.

I can still see the Avs winning a cup. Having Sakic-Lindros down the middle would have been scary. 

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

the 2 best things that happened to Quebec/Colorado was Lindros not wanting to play for them and the Wings hanging 11 goals on Patty Wah.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:58 PM, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Yes as far as i know it's happened twice? Eric Lindros refused to sign with Quebec and Justin Schultz with Anaheim when he finally signed with Edmonton. Edit my bad Justin Schultz was a 2nd round pick for Anaheim not 1st round pick but he did refuse to sign with the Ducks.

What kind of moron would rather live and play in Edmonton instead of Anaheim?  

9 hours ago, kliq said:

I can still see the Avs winning a cup. Having Sakic-Lindros down the middle would have been scary. 

They won the Cup in 2001 with Forsberg missing the last several rounds of the playoffs.  They were indeed a great team.  

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

whatever it was before he finally got pulled and said he'd never play another game for the Habs.

Kozlov had 4 goals that night, 3 against Roy. That was the night that pretty much defined The Russian 5.

Kozlov - 4 points

Fedorov - 5 points

Larionov - 4 points

Vladdy and Fetisov a comibined +6 each with a point.

Edited by LeftWinger

19 hours ago, kliq said:

True enough, as long as the Roy trade still happened. That was the move that finally put them over the top.

9 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I agree that Lindros (and his parents) more or less made a mess of things, but ya never know about winning/not winning the Cup.

The Nords were pretty well stacked prior to the move to Colorado...Only issue was their netminding.

They were stacked mainly due to the package from Lindros though. Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne and Kerry Huffman, "future considerations" which eventually became enforcer Chris Simon, two first-round picks and US$15 million. One of the firsts became Jocelyn Thibault, who was eventually traded for Roy. Made a league doormat into a contender almost instantly.

They had drafted Sakic, Nolan, and Sundin, but Nolan was traded a few games into the first season in Colorado, and Sundin was traded prior to their final season in Quebec. Had Lindros stuck around, Sundin and Nolan kept, and the Roy deal still happened, it's very possible.

The real question though, is would any of you ever rock a Nords jersey in public? They did have some sweet looking jerseys, especially the home white, but I dunno if I could actually wear one. Could handle owning one though.

23 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

True enough, as long as the Roy trade still happened. That was the move that finally put them over the top.

They were stacked mainly due to the package from Lindros though. Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne and Kerry Huffman, "future considerations" which eventually became enforcer Chris Simon, two first-round picks and US$15 million. One of the firsts became Jocelyn Thibault, who was eventually traded for Roy. Made a league doormat into a contender almost instantly.

They had drafted Sakic, Nolan, and Sundin, but Nolan was traded a few games into the first season in Colorado, and Sundin was traded prior to their final season in Quebec. Had Lindros stuck around, Sundin and Nolan kept, and the Roy deal still happened, it's very possible.

The real question though, is would any of you ever rock a Nords jersey in public? They did have some sweet looking jerseys, especially the home white, but I dunno if I could actually wear one. Could handle owning one though.

Thanks for posting that. I had to look it up myself to see what the final haul was for the Nordiques. I have to say that I don't think they have the same success with Lindros. They just got too many pieces back in that trade that had a lot more of an impact than Lindros would have. The "whole is [not] greater than the sum of its parts" when it comes to the Lindros deal.

The Nords traded Hextall to the Islanders the summer of 93 so they wouldn't lose him in the expansion draft for nothing. Part of that deal was the Islanders and Nordiques swapping first round picks. The Nordiques drafted Adam Deadmarsh with that pick (10th overall) and Thibault with the 14th overall pick from the Lindros deal, who was traded to MTL in the Roy deal, as you mentioned. Both guys played a role in their 96 Cup victory. Then Deadmash was traded to the Kings in the Rob Blake deal in 2001. The Avs won the Cup again that year with Blake on the blue line.

What I really found interesting was who the Islanders chose with the 1st round pick they got in the swap with Quebec. Guess who it was? It was none other than Todd Bertuzzi. Think about it. If that trade hadn't happened, Bertuzzi may have been an Avs player instead of an Avs maimer. So weird how things turn out sometimes.

So basically, Quebec ended up with Forsberg, Ricci, Duchesne, Simon, Roy and Deadmarsh. Six players that all contributed more than Lindros ever could. The Nordiques totally won that deal and 2 Stanley Cups thanks to Eric Lindros, who came close to winning one if not for....

Fun fact: Quebec actually had two different verbal agreements in place for Lindros. First with the Flyers, than with the Rangers. When the Nordiques chose the Rangers offer, the Flyers filed a complaint with the league and it went to arbitration. The arbitrator sided with Philly, and the Nordiques were forced to honor the Flyers deal. What is so great about that story is what the name of the arbitrator was. It was...wait for it...wait for it...Larry Bertuzzi!!!!!! :lol: I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up. First Larry, then Todd. I can't wait to see what Tyler does to them someday!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros_trade

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Thanks for posting that. I had to look it up myself to see what the final haul was for the Nordiques. I have to say that I don't think they have the same success with Lindros. They just got too many pieces back in that trade that had a lot more of an impact than Lindros would have. The "whole is [not] greater than the sum of its parts" when it comes to the Lindros deal.

The Nords traded Hextall to the Islanders the summer of 93 so they wouldn't lose him in the expansion draft for nothing. Part of that deal was the Islanders and Nordiques swapping first round picks. The Nordiques drafted Adam Deadmarsh with that pick (10th overall) and Thibault with the 14th overall pick from the Lindros deal, who was traded to MTL in the Roy deal, as you mentioned. Both guys played a role in their 96 Cup victory. Then Deadmash was traded to the Kings in the Rob Blake deal in 2001. The Avs won the Cup again that year with Blake on the blue line.

What I really found interesting was who the Islanders chose with the 1st round pick they got in the swap with Quebec. Guess who it was? It was none other than Todd Bertuzzi. Think about it. If that trade hadn't happened, Bertuzzi may have been an Avs player instead of an Avs maimer. So weird how things turn out sometimes.

So basically, Quebec ended up with Forsberg, Ricci, Duchesne, Simon, Roy and Deadmarsh. Six players that all contributed more than Lindros ever could. The Nordiques totally won that deal and 2 Stanley Cups thanks to Eric Lindros, who came close to winning one if not for....

Yep, definitely a massive package that turned a franchise around in exchange for a player that wasn't willing to play for them anyways. Nords were far and away the winners of the deal. Even if Lindros had given in and played for Quebec, I don't know if he and Sakic would have gotten along very well. Sakic was reportedly unimpressed with his attitude after the snub and didn't want him on the team if he clearly didn't want to be there. Who knows how long Lindros would have been a Nord for if he became locker room trouble.

Deadmarsh, man I hated that guy after he iced the Wings season in the first round Game 6 OT against LA. What a collapse that was.

Yeah that is interesting about Bert. the Isles had a few great draft picks that moved on and became stars. Bertuzzi, Chara, Luongo.