• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

toby91_ca

Officially Eliminated

Rate this topic

Well.....it's official I believe.  Not sure when the last time the Wings have been officially eliminated from playoffs with this many games to go.  Gotta say.....better as a fan though.  I get the excitement of down to the wire to make it, but to me, that's only for an up and coming team that hasn't made it before.....it's depressing on the way down.  

No one wants to finish 17th.....the lower the better now.

26 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Well.....it's official I believe.  Not sure when the last time the Wings have been officially eliminated from playoffs with this many games to go.  Gotta say.....better as a fan though.  I get the excitement of down to the wire to make it, but to me, that's only for an up and coming team that hasn't made it before.....it's depressing on the way down.  

No one wants to finish 17th.....the lower the better now.

But what if finishing 17th gets you Dahlin? Unlikely sure, but possible. Like I've said time and time again, I'm all for finishing lower in the standings, but it really guarantees nothing. I think it's something like only 6 of the past 19 last place finishes have gotten the 1st overall pick, and only 1 (Toronto) in the past 3 years since the odds have been changed to give less weight to the last place finish...

Last year New Jersey jumped 3 spots to number 1, Philadelphia jumped 11 spots to number 2, Dallas jumped 5 spots to number 3, and Colorado finished dead last and fell back 3 spots...

Win or lose, I just want to see the kids get more of an opportunity down the stretch.

8 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Like it or not, Holland and Blashill will be back next year. Beyond that, their chances of staying go down.

This.

There will be a lot of pissed off Red Wings... I'm actually okay with it though...

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Like it or not, Holland and Blashill will be back next year. Beyond that, their chances of staying go down.

I'm not arguing with your prediction, but how how how how how can this happen, especially Blashill? Can someone tell me another team in any pro sport that sticks with a loser like this?

2 hours ago, rwing said:

I'm not arguing with your prediction, but how how how how how can this happen, especially Blashill? Can someone tell me another team in any pro sport that sticks with a loser like this?

Browns.  Lions when WC Ford was alive

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

But what if finishing 17th gets you Dahlin? Unlikely sure, but possible. Like I've said time and time again, I'm all for finishing lower in the standings, but it really guarantees nothing. I think it's something like only 6 of the past 19 last place finishes have gotten the 1st overall pick, and only 1 (Toronto) in the past 3 years since the odds have been changed to give less weight to the last place finish...

Last year New Jersey jumped 3 spots to number 1, Philadelphia jumped 11 spots to number 2, Dallas jumped 5 spots to number 3, and Colorado finished dead last and fell back 3 spots...

Win or lose, I just want to see the kids get more of an opportunity down the stretch.

Everyone focuses on the 1st overall odds, but we should also keep in mind that no matter where we finish, we could end up being pushed back as many as three spots (see: last year, as you noted). So, I want the best 1st overall odds and I also want the best slide insurance; I want us to finish 31st overall because of Dahlin and also because a slide from 1st to 4th would be better than a slide from 2nd to 5th, 3rd to 6th, 4th to 7th, etc.

I'd be more than ok with us losing all of our remaining games, in regulation. The tank HYPE! is real. FIGHT ME, NERDS.

8 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

second year in a row

And we're lucky it's not three years in a row and the last what, 4 years of our playoff streak was just getting into the playoffs and being content with that. So we haven't been a real threat or contender in how long? The decline has been steady. 

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Everyone focuses on the 1st overall odds, but we should also keep in mind that no matter where we finish, we could end up being pushed back as many as three spots (see: last year, as you noted). So, I want the best 1st overall odds and I also want the best slide insurance; I want us to finish 31st overall because of Dahlin and also because a slide from 1st to 4th would be better than a slide from 2nd to 5th, 3rd to 6th, 4th to 7th, etc.

I'd be more than ok with us losing all of our remaining games, in regulation. The tank HYPE! is real. FIGHT ME, NERDS.

I understand what you're saying, and I've been somewhat hoping we finish closer to the bottom as well, for this same reason. However, as I've mentioned before, what if we finish dead last, slide to 4th, and the teams 2nd, 3rd and 4th last, finish 1, 2 and 3? That is a real possibility, and I don't know about you, but I'd feel really foolish for hoping for all those losses if that were to happen.

We're currently sitting 5th from the bottom and that could be the lucky number. I used the raffle ticket analogy before, and I firmly believe in that. There's always one sucker that will buy hundreds of tickets trying to increase their odds. It does increase their odds, but the odds are still against them winning. The same is the case with the draft lottery. I believe it's more about being in the right place at the right time. Last year Colorado was that sucker that bought the most tickets, while New Jersey and Philadelphia bought less and were the big winners. Maybe number 5 is the lucky number this year, and maybe (hopefully) number 1 slides to number 4 again...

5 hours ago, kylee said:

And we're lucky it's not three years in a row and the last what, 4 years of our playoff streak was just getting into the playoffs and being content with that. So we haven't been a real threat or contender in how long? The decline has been steady. 

2013?

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

bottom 3 is ok, gotta get the Chevy bros. together

0f26a21c621edeabaaa34c06041b7cc01d282e41

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I understand what you're saying, and I've been somewhat hoping we finish closer to the bottom as well, for this same reason. However, as I've mentioned before, what if we finish dead last, slide to 4th, and the teams 2nd, 3rd and 4th last, finish 1, 2 and 3? That is a real possibility, and I don't know about you, but I'd feel really foolish for hoping for all those losses if that were to happen.

We're currently sitting 5th from the bottom and that could be the lucky number. I used the raffle ticket analogy before, and I firmly believe in that. There's always one sucker that will buy hundreds of tickets trying to increase their odds. It does increase their odds, but the odds are still against them winning. The same is the case with the draft lottery. I believe it's more about being in the right place at the right time. Last year Colorado was that sucker that bought the most tickets, while New Jersey and Philadelphia bought less and were the big winners. Maybe number 5 is the lucky number this year, and maybe (hopefully) number 1 slides to number 4 again...

except the odds of winning go up a minimal amount with each ticket sold.  The odds go up at least a full percent for every spot the Wings move closer to 31st, and the bottom 2 have the odds jump up even more.  Also, while it's possible that 3 teams could jump the bottom 2 teams, it's not exactly likely.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

except the odds of winning go up a minimal amount with each ticket sold.  The odds go up at least a full percent for every spot the Wings move closer to 31st, and the bottom 2 have the odds jump up even more.  Also, while it's possible that 3 teams could jump the bottom 2 teams, it's not exactly likely.

I think you missed the point... 

I specifically said "hundreds of tickets", which is the equivalent to moving up a spot in the draft lottery... It still guarantees nothing, and the odds are still massively against you.

I didn't say anything about it being likely. As a matter fact, I specifically described it in a previous post as "not likely". However, it did happen just last year... Colorado finished last by a country mile and still, three teams jumped ahead of them, sliding them all the way down to 4th...

21 hours ago, rwing said:

Hmm maybe this was the REASON Blash was brought was to ease us down into draft pick territory setting us up for a better coach after one more spin at the wheel next year

Just trying to think of a good reason whyhe remains

I mean, it's true Babcock was more successful with a declining team than Blashill.  But really, how much better would this team be if Bowman, Quenneville, Hitchcock, etc was coaching was coaching them? Better? Yes, but it's not like this team is a legitimate contender that's being ruined by bad coaching. Herb Brooks couldn't turn this team into a miracle.They're just a bad team, period. Could another Coach be a better fit? I think so. But I am not going to put this teams failures on one guy.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:21 AM, krsmith17 said:

Anything can happen, but I want the best odds and the best slide insurance. It'd definitely suck if we finished 31st overall and the 27th overall team got the 1st overall pick, but, still.

Fortunately, we're not even really outright tanking, which is why I don't feel morally conflicted about being ok with all of this losing. We're icing pretty much the same lineup we've been icing all season long and we're reasonably competitive on most nights, we're just coming up short against teams that are simply better than us and have more to play for right now.