• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

Since we have officially been eliminated, and the Tatar thread has basically turned into an off season discussion, I have created this to focus all of our ideas about this summer in one spot.

The Draft Topic Thread is still open and being used, so lets try to keep this to UFA/RFA Signing's, Trade's, Buyouts, Retirements, etc...

Obviously all eyes will be on John Tavares this July, if he isn't dealt at the draft.  It has been discussed that money won't be an issue because a good chunk of teams will be able to afford him, so it comes down to making your team the most attractive destination. While we aren't on the cusp of a Cup, we do have a lot of other attractive features in order to lure him here. It's not like we have no future in here, he would instantly make our club a playoff contender, and we do have a handful of great young kids here. Of course drafting Dahlin would help out for sure! Also I think if the stars align with Dahlin and Tavares, it would make Detroit an even more attractive destination for Karlsson in 2019. If we could afford him...

...speaking of cap, in last nights radio broadcast, Paul Woods said that the Cap may increase to upwards of $82M for next season. That would be great!

In addition to wanting JT here, I want to run a trade proposal past you guys.  How does this sound?

Trade the Las Vegas 1st round pick to Arizona for Max Domi and 2018 2nd? (which was originally Minny's so it wouldn't be too high of a high 2nd)

Also, if we fail at JT, is there any other UFA you'd like to go after? I'm thinking JVR would be a bad back up prize.

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It has been discussed that money won't be an issue because a good chunk of teams will be able to afford him, so it comes down to making your team the most attractive destination. 

I don't know that there are any true cup contenders that can afford a $12 million dollar cap hit, and that's what JT will get. If he leaves Long Island, I don't think the team he signs with will be significantly better. Plus there's no way that someone signs him to that kind of money and he's not their 1C. Teams that need 1C's are not contenders. So unless he is willing to play a reduced role for less money on a good team or a team has the ability to pay for two top line centers, he more than likely signs with a competitive, but not elite, franchise.

And I still believe that the Wings have a chance. IF they get Dahlin at the draft and appear to be getting better, it will help. Plus he would be the the face of an Original 6 franchise with 20+ years of success on the rebound.. I don't think anyone else could offer him that.

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Also, if we fail at JT, is there any other UFA you'd like to go after? I'm thinking JVR would be a bad back up prize.

If Green is healthy, I would re-sign him. Bring up Hicketts and roll with 8 D.

We already have Larkin, Mantha, Z, AA, Nyquist, and Bert for the top 6. Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Frk, Glendening, and Witkowski for the bottom 6. There's room for only one more forward. IF we draft Svech, he'll be #13. That would fill the roster. It all kinda depends on how the draft goes and whether elder Svech is ready for full time NHL duty. If there is a spot open come July 1st, I wouldn't consider JVR. He's a top 6 guy and signing him pushes someone else down the lineup. If we bring in another forward I think it would be a 3rd line type guy (You know KH likes Vanek). That would be the most likely.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

This team needs help all over the ice, but I'd like to see a proper rebuild.  That means getting rid of Kenny Holland and Jeff Blashill.  Neither is the right person for this team going forward.  Holland should have the common decency to resign, but alas, he's no Japanese samurai.  If he doesn't leave, he needs to be let go.  I don't trust him going forward.  The contracts this team is saddled with are his fault.  We haven't drafted anything good on the defensive side of the ice, which includes goalies.  We have some good forwards but too many others that have made little impact.  The marriage just needs to end.  Blashill needs to be let go because he doesn't seem to have a good grip on this team.  They're not good at anything.  Much of that is Holland's fault for providing Blashill with a terrible defense and inconsistent goaltending.  Still, good coaches can get some players to overachieve.  I haven't seen that from this coach.  

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

In addition to wanting JT here, I want to run a trade proposal past you guys.  How does this sound?

Trade the Las Vegas 1st round pick to Arizona for Max Domi and 2018 2nd? (which was originally Minny's so it wouldn't be too high of a high 2nd)

I don't think that would be enough of a jump for Arizona to consider moving Domi. I also don't think it makes a whole lot of sense from our perspective. Domi appears to be a decent top 6 forward, but nothing special. We have enough of those. We need to add some impact players, not more support players.

I'm a huge fan of Van Riemsdyk, but he's going to cost way too much. Besides, we have our very own JVR already on the team. His name is Anthony Mantha. We need high end centers and defensemen, not more wingers. The only way I'd have interest in going after JVR is if we could move a winger for help elsewhere. The winger I'd like to move (you're not going to like this), is Athanasiou. Not necessarily because I want to move him, but I think he would bring the best return (other than my two untouchables; Larkin and Mantha).

A trade I'd love to make, that I've wanted for a while, but probably won't ever happen, is Athanasiou, plus a pick of prospect for Trouba. Both are RFA's. Trouba has expressed interest in going back to Michigan in the past. Again, I doubt it happens, unless Trouba plays hard ball again. I doubt Cheveldayoff has much interest in moving him.

29 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think that would be enough of a jump for Arizona to consider moving Domi. I also don't think it makes a whole lot of sense from our perspective. Domi appears to be a decent top 6 forward, but nothing special. We have enough of those. We need to add some impact players, not more support players.

I'm a huge fan of Van Riemsdyk, but he's going to cost way too much. Besides, we have our very own JVR already on the team. His name is Anthony Mantha. We need high end centers and defensemen, not more wingers. The only way I'd have interest in going after JVR is if we could move a winger for help elsewhere. The winger I'd like to move (you're not going to like this), is Athanasiou. Not necessarily because I want to move him, but I think he would bring the best return (other than my two untouchables; Larkin and Mantha).

A trade I'd love to make, that I've wanted for a while, but probably won't ever happen, is Athanasiou, plus a pick of prospect for Trouba. Both are RFA's. Trouba has expressed interest in going back to Michigan in the past. Again, I doubt it happens, unless Trouba plays hard ball again. I doubt Cheveldayoff has much interest in moving him.

Well right now, The Wild are a playoff team, so their pick could be pretty far into the 2nd. Veg's pick should be in the mid 20's, unless they get on a run and take Tampa in the Finals.  It may be a big enough jump if they really want someone that is there come that pick. Of course Detroit would really want to have Domi as well.  I could imagine a line with Lil Bert and Lil Domi wreaking havoc out there.

Also, I do really like AA, but if he continues to be a butt come negotiation time (which BTW he is Arbitration Eligible this season) I wouldn't mind a trade if it returned us Trouba. AA and Svech for Trouba? I am sure Trouba would still want to get paid, but I have a feeling he'd be a little easier to negotiate with as an RFA considering who we are to him.

Also, the idea of a Dahlin - Trouba top pairing for the next 20 years sounds exciting! Throw JT in there and then Karlsson next summer? We're in for 5 Cups in a row! :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger

I’d like a real coach to evaluate some of this young talent like AA before we trade him away. Any real rebuild should start with Holland/Blashill. We might find negotiations and interest in our team changes with some new personalities at the helm.

I have a bad feeling the Lack-of-Brain trust will be back intact.  I hope I'm wrong.

With Green's neck injury, I want him back even less than I did before.  The track record of guys coming off surgery to play for the Wings hasn't been good.  MAYBE one year, $3 mil, no NTC, but if Holland is back I fully expect 4 years at $6 mil with full NMC.

16 hours ago, kylee said:

why would JT come to this dump of a franchise? 

Because like most rational people, he's come to respect this team for its 2 plus decades of sustained success and the model that other franchises have tried to emulate for just as long. 

Rooting for the Sharks feels kind of weird but that’s where I’ve been at lately.. they’re on a 7 game winning streak and I’m mostly just hoping they can catch Vegas. If they do, and Vegas gets swept out of the first round, our pick from them likely ends up somewhere in the late teens. :P 

Also, JVR would be great. I like him a lot. But without moving a guy or two out, I just don’t think we have the space for him. I am interested to see where he ends up though. 

I don’t think there’s any world where Green doesn’t re-sign with us; assuming all goes well with his surgery. And I’d love to have him back; he’s been one of my favorite players to watch. I’m just hoping it’s a one or two year deal at a lower cap hit than last time. I could live with 3 but I think 1 or 2 would be perfect. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Some word going around that Karlsson will be an 8 year sign and trade. So if he is extended and traded over the summer, some team will get him for NINE years. I am sure the return will be HEFTY and is NOT something I would be interested in doing.

Where did you hear this?

5 hours ago, amato said:

Rooting for the Sharks feels kind of weird but that’s where I’ve been at lately.. t

Not for me. Would love to see them finally win a cup. Same with the Caps. What I don't want to see is a Pens 3peat or a Vegas expansion team. Which I don't think would happen anyway. Regular season success when you're playing a team once or twice with gaps of time in between doesn't always translate into postseason success. I think a good team in a 7 game series beats them easily. They kinda remind me of the 95 Nordiques. I wouldn't be surprised if they get knocked out in the first round.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Some word going around that Karlsson will be an 8 year sign and trade. So if he is extended and traded over the summer, some team will get him for NINE years. I am sure the return will be HEFTY and is NOT something I would be interested in doing.

It would be a Lindros type return. Not worth it IMO. Acquiring him would require giving up 1st round picks for at least the next 2 years, both of which are considered deep drafts. Also, a team would have to give up their best prospects too as well as good roster players. Karlsson is a generational player, but I would rather keep the assets needed to get him.

25 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Mine either.

There it is.

I'm assuming you're trading Helm, AA, Ericsson, Daley and Ouellet.

LOL I kinda forgot to post what I actually did. Here are the specific moves I would like to see if we sign the UFA's in my lineup:

- Trade Helm, Daley, E, XO, Glendening, (I would love to trade Nielsen, but I think that any chance of landing JT would require keeping Nielsen).

Roll with a lineup of:

JT-Larkin-Zetterberg-Turgeon down the middle
Bertuzzi, Nyquist, Mantha, Abby, Frk, Svech, Rasmussen, Nielsen on Wing

The on D I would like to see in our top 6:

Dahlin
Faulk (leaning towards making the AA trade)
DD
Hronek
Chowolski (if he's ready)
Hicketts

Kronwall (ideally is on LTIR)

And our bench guys can be Jensen, Witowski, and whomever.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

upload_2018-3-25_16-37-23.png

How about now?

1 hour ago, kliq said:

LOL I kinda forgot to post what I actually did. Here are the specific moves I would like to see if we sign the UFA's in my lineup:

- Trade Helm, Daley, E, XO, Glendening, (I would love to trade Nielsen, but I think that any chance of landing JT would require keeping Nielsen).

Roll with a lineup of:

JT-Larkin-Zetterberg-Turgeon down the middle
Bertuzzi, Nyquist, Mantha, Abby, Frk, Svech, Rasmussen, Nielsen on Wing

The on D I would like to see in our top 6:

Dahlin
Faulk (leaning towards making the AA trade)
DD
Hronek
Chowolski (if he's ready)
Hicketts

Kronwall (ideally is on LTIR)

And our bench guys can be Jensen, Witowski, and whomever.

What happened to Athanasiou?