• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with signing Tavares if it's going to cost us $12M in cap space... $17.25M if you think we need to keep our $5.25M 3C to convince him to come here. I'd much rather trade Nielsen and hope Larkin can become a legit 1C (I think he can), at a fraction of the price.

Okay so you let Blash go at the end of the year who do you bring in that's either on the bench currently or could be available after the season ends?

Tippett, Blysma, Hartley, Muller or stretch due to the youth movement and go waaay out there and get someone from the college ranks or AHL(not in the organization)

On 3/24/2018 at 8:06 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Because like most rational people, he's come to respect this team for its 2 plus decades of sustained success and the model that other franchises have tried to emulate for just as long. 

Well he’s already the captain, young face of their franchise. I just don’t see what we could offer him that he eithe doesn’t already have in NYI or could get somewhere else with a franchise that’s ready to win. 

24 minutes ago, kylee said:

Well he’s already the captain, young face of their franchise. I just don’t see what we could offer him that he eithe doesn’t already have in NYI or could get somewhere else with a franchise that’s ready to win. 

For one thing, we have a real hockey arena and don't have an ugly ass car that he has to skate by on every shift.  

1 hour ago, kylee said:

The thing we need that other teams won't have to lure JT is Dahlin.

7 hours ago, kylee said:

You're not wrong. I think its better than a 50% chance he re-signs there. I just don't think that anyone other than some Wings fans see this team as an undesirable destination. Nielsen, Daley, and Green may not be superstars, but they're still really good players that chose Detroit over other options. They wouldn't do that if this team was a total dumpster fire. This franchise is still very respected which is why they are in the running for just about every big name free agent even now. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're not wrong. I think its better than a 50% chance he re-signs there. I just don't think that anyone other than some Wings fans see this team as an undesirable destination. Nielsen, Daley, and Green may not be superstars, but they're still really good players that chose Detroit over other options. They wouldn't do that if this team was a total dumpster fire. This franchise is still very respected which is why they are in the running for just about every big name free agent even now. 

Agreed. Its no different then say the Yankees a couple years ago. When a franchise with years and years of success and esteem has a down turn, it doesnt just lose that overnight, or even over 5 or 6 years. 

I think Wings fans talking about how undesirable we are now, is almost a form of self loathing if that makes sense. 

14 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Okay so you let Blash go at the end of the year who do you bring in that's either on the bench currently or could be available after the season ends?

Tippett, Blysma, Hartley, Muller or stretch due to the youth movement and go waaay out there and get someone from the college ranks or AHL(not in the organization)

Sutter, Todd Richards, Tippett.  None of the rest of those hacks even get an interview if I'm the GM.

If Tavares doesn't stay with the Islanders, the Sharks could be a good fit. I imagine he has zero interest in coming here. And I'm ok with that. $12M x 8 is a scary-huge commitment.

What's crazy is Matthew Barzal (78 points in 77 games this season, as a 20-year-old rookie centerman) is making a case for being a legit successor to Tavares. All of the wondering and worrying and obsessing over how the Isles could possibly overcome the loss of Tavares...and they pull Barzal out of a magic hat. If they believe Barzal can be a truly elite 1C, it might honestly make sense for them to trade Tavares, assuming they could get the massive return that they'd want.

Edited by Dabura

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

If Tavares doesn't stay with the Islanders, the Sharks could be a good fit. I imagine he has zero interest in coming here. And I'm ok with that. $12M x 8 is a scary-huge commitment.

What's crazy is Matthew Barzal (78 points in 77 games this season, as a 20-year-old rookie centerman) is making a case for being a legit successor to Tavares. All of the wondering and worrying and obsessing over how the Isles could possibly overcome the loss of Tavares...and they pull Barzal out of a magic hat. If they believe Barzal can be a truly elite 1C, it might honestly make sense for them to trade Tavares, assuming they could get the massive return that they'd want.

As well as Kane has been playing, I think there's a good chance they re-sign him instead. They could sign Tavares, but they already have Pavelski and Couture as their 1 and 2 centers. JT would be redundant. They could move one of them to the wing if they signed JT, but Kane is cheaper, and has already established chemistry there. And I don't think they can afford to sign both Kane and JT. 

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No! You know who would be a great fit in San Jose? Frans mother f***ing Nielsen, that's who...

No.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

As well as Kane has been playing, I think there's a good chance they re-sign him instead. They could sign Tavares, but they already have Pavelski and Couture as their 1 and 2 centers. JT would be redundant. They could move one of them to the wing if they signed JT, but Kane is cheaper, and has already established chemistry there. And I don't think they can afford to sign both Kane and JT. 

No.

You wouldn't want to trade Nielsen to San Jose? Or you don't think he'd be a good fit? I'm not sure if he'd be a good fit, but I just want to get rid of that contract. He should be heavily shopped this summer. Unfortunately, I doubt he will be though...

The Sharks have just under $20M in cap space going into next season, with 20 players under contract. They could sign Tavares and still have enough space to re-sign Kane and Hertl, maybe having to make a minor move to make it work under the cap. It's definitely doable.

50 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

While I agree with pretty much everything here, but what concerns me most is who will take over, and will they be any better?

It would be a 'pipe dream' if we landed Yzerman, and Coach Q.

I honestly wouldn't even make him an offer...So goes life.

If we got dahlin, JT, then Coach Q and Yzerman? Wow!

18 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The Sharks have just under $20M in cap space going into next season, with 20 players under contract. They could sign Tavares and still have enough space to re-sign Kane and Hertl, maybe having to make a minor move to make it work under the cap. It's definitely doable.

Pretty much what krsmith said.

Thornton ($8M), Kane ($5.25M), Ward ($3.275M), Hansen ($2M), Fehr ($2M) are all on expiring contracts.

I dunno that the Sharks *need* Tavares, but they could be the only perennial playoff team that has significant cap flexibility this summer. Sharks want to finally get over the hump and win their first Cup? Being able to run Tavares-Pavelski-Couture at center and having Burns anchoring the back end would probably make winning a Cup an inevitability. Don't want to have all three of those guys playing center? Play any one of them on the wing on any given shift. Boom. Matchup nightmare.

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

and we would be playing a Winter Classic in Hell because at that point hell would be truly frozen. 

Don’t say that too loudly, Bettman wouldn’t be able to resist that level of marketability! :P 

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

While I agree with pretty much everything here, but what concerns me most is who will take over, and will they be any better?

It would be a 'pipe dream' if we landed Yzerman, and Coach Q.

I honestly wouldn't even make him an offer...So goes life.

Well, you have to take the leap.  That's life.  Things aren't going to magically become awesome with Holland and Blashill.  

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You wouldn't want to trade Nielsen to San Jose? Or you don't think he'd be a good fit? I'm not sure if he'd be a good fit, but I just want to get rid of that contract. He should be heavily shopped this summer. Unfortunately, I doubt he will be though...

The Sharks have done an excellent job re-building on the fly. I would love to see them take Nielsen, but I dont see it happening.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:51 AM, krsmith17 said:

No, it's because I supported the Nielsen contract and I refuse to be wrong about it.

17 hours ago, Dabura said:

Pretty much what krsmith said.

Thornton ($8M), Kane ($5.25M), Ward ($3.275M), Hansen ($2M), Fehr ($2M) are all on expiring contracts.

I dunno that the Sharks *need* Tavares, but they could be the only perennial playoff team that has significant cap flexibility this summer. Sharks want to finally get over the hump and win their first Cup? Being able to run Tavares-Pavelski-Couture at center and having Burns anchoring the back end would probably make winning a Cup an inevitability. Don't want to have all three of those guys playing center? Play any one of them on the wing on any given shift. Boom. Matchup nightmare.

I would for sure re-sign Kane. He's fit in well there. After that, I'm not saying that they shouldn't sign JT if he wants to play there and they can make the money work. I am just saying that they have good chemistry now with their group of forwards and bringing in Tavares and moving Pavelski to wing is no guarantee of success.It would be a very expensive mistake if it didn't work out. But if it did, they should probably plan their Cup parade.

49 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I would for sure re-sign Kane. He's fit in well there. After that, I'm not saying that they shouldn't sign JT if he wants to play there and they can make the money work. I am just saying that they have good chemistry now with their group of forwards and bringing in Tavares and moving Pavelski to wing is no guarantee of success.It would be a very expensive mistake if it didn't work out. But if it did, they should probably plan their Cup parade.

They do seem to have good chemistry now, and Kane has been a revelation. There's definitely something to be said for not messing with a good thing. But how good a thing is it?

The Sharks' singular mission, at this point, has to be winning their first Cup. They've spent years on the cusp of winning a Cup but they've never been able to take that final step and get the job done. I doubt Kane gets them there this season. They have an enviable core, but it's an aging core (Pavelski and Burns are 33, Couture is 29) and I'm just not convinced it's Cup-worthy. I'm sure they're hoping a prospect or two turns into a game-changer, but, at least on the surface, their pipeline doesn't rate especially high on the HYPE! scale.

Admittedly, I'm an absolute sucker for center depth. I know defense wins championships, but, in terms of roster construction, nothing can make me geek out like a killer 1-3C depth chart can. That being said, I would run all of Tavares, Pavelski, Couture at center and I would laugh maniacally while doing so. And, like I said, I'd relish the option of playing any of them on either wing on any line on any given shift. That's the stuff dreams/nightmares are made of. (Imagine the power play possibilities!)

I hear Edmonton people talking about how they're not so keen on having McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins down the middle because that's too much money wrapped up in centermen. I think...that they're not really thinking.

The issue with Kane is his attitude. Right now the guy is playing for a contract, so you have to think he is on his best behavior, If I'm San Jose, it would make me nervous to sign him long term term as if the issues re-surface, that could hand cuff you for years.

With that being said, I guess its up to the coach, captain, vets etc. to see if he has legit changed, or if the BS is still there.

5 hours ago, kliq said:

The issue with Kane is his attitude. Right now the guy is playing for a contract, so you have to think he is on his best behavior, If I'm San Jose, it would make me nervous to sign him long term term as if the issues re-surface, that could hand cuff you for years.

With that being said, I guess its up to the coach, captain, vets etc. to see if he has legit changed, or if the BS is still there.

This could very well be true. Which is why he should only be signed to 1 year deals from here on out! Seriously tho, the Sharks seem to me to be a team that has always had a good locker room. (I realize "dressing room" is the correct term, but I feel weird saying it.) I don't think they would bring in a guy (or keep him) if he was still an attitude problem.