• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

didn't know where to post this/didn't think it needed it's own post. but here's a good article... a little praise for a couple of our top prospects. enjoy. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/03/31/red-wings-prospects-michael-rasmussen-dennis-cholowski/475487002/

Maybe the most exciting note is Rasmussen's playoff so far: 

The 2017 first-round pick helped his Tri-City Americans advance to round two of the Western Hockey League playoffs with a 5-goal, 12 point performance in a four-game series against Kelowna in round one.

How do we feel about AA?

I've gotta be honest: even if he wants to stay and is willing to sign a reasonable extension, I might look to move him at the draft if I'm Holland. I reached a point during last night's game, seeing him try to "I'm hot s***" deke past a defenseman for the 48,000th time this season and fail for the 47,997th time this season, where I just kind of threw my hands up in the air and really started to wonder if he isn't in fact a "problem kid." I'm sure Blashill and other players have told him he needs to grow his game. ("Maybe don't go for the low-percentage deke every. single. time.") I'm sure Blashill and other players have told him he needs to get much stronger, as the lightest breeze can easily separate him from the puck. That he apparently hasn't taken this advice to heart is not encouraging. He plays like a bottom-six winger. He plays bad possession hockey. He plays dumb hockey. For me, it's getting kind of old.

Problem is, everyone else in the league can see this, so I doubt his trade value is especially high. I don't think he gets us a Justin Faulk. I'm not sure he could even get us a late 1st.

11 minutes ago, Dabura said:

How do we feel about AA?

I've gotta be honest: even if he wants to stay and is willing to sign a reasonable extension, I might look to move him at the draft if I'm Holland. I reached a point during last night's game, seeing him try to "I'm hot s***" deke past a defenseman for the 48,000th time this season and fail for the 47,997th time this season, where I just kind of threw my hands up in the air and really started to wonder if he isn't in fact a "problem kid." I'm sure Blashill and other players have told him he needs to grow his game. ("Maybe don't go for the low-percentage deke every. single. time.") I'm sure Blashill and other players have told him he needs to get much stronger, as the lightest breeze can easily separate him from the puck. That he apparently hasn't taken this advice to heart is not encouraging. He plays like a bottom-six winger. He plays bad possession hockey. He plays dumb hockey. For me, it's getting kind of old.

Problem is, everyone else in the league can see this, so I doubt his trade value is especially high. I don't think he gets us a Justin Faulk. I'm not sure he could even get us a late 1st.

In contrast to the Al Davis philosophy shared by so many that SPEED = GOOD, I agree with you which is why I advocated for trading him last summer for help on D. It was met with less than enthusiastic appeal around here. We have Helm, we have Larkin, some other guys with decent speed, so a one-dimensional, speedy winger is just not a player of need.

And no, I don't think he would get us a 1st either. Likely a 2nd.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In contrast to the Al Davis philosophy shared by so many that SPEED = GOOD, I agree with you which is why I advocated for trading him last summer for help on D. It was met with less than enthusiastic appeal around here. We have Helm, we have Larkin, some other guys with decent speed, so a one-dimensional, speedy winger is just not a player of need.

And no, I don't think he would get us a 1st either. Likely a 2nd.

It's remarkable how much Larkin has grown as a player this season and, in contrast, how little AA has grown as a player this season. Is Larkin any more naturally talented than AA? Not really. Is Larkin ten times more self-driven to be the best player he can possibly be? Seems to be the case.

Last year, someone high up -- I think it was Holland -- said the organization will be putting a lot of emphasis on "character" in their amateur scouting and drafting. Maybe those guys actually know what they're doing!

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

How do we feel about AA?

I agree, and I've thought this for some time now. I wouldn't give him away, but I'd certainly be shopping him. He's the piece I've been advocating moving for a defenseman since last off-season. I don't think he alone would get us a first or top defense prospect, especially after the underwhelming season he's had. But maybe as a part of a bigger package, he could get a late 1st or that defenseman we've been looking for. Athanasiou and a pick / prospect for pending RFA Trouba or Montour? Yes please. Winnipeg and Anaheim probably wouldn't feel the same though...

34 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It's remarkable how much Larkin has grown as a player this season and, in contrast, how little AA has grown as a player this season. Is Larkin any more naturally talented than AA? Not really. Is Larkin ten times more self-driven to be the best player he can possibly be? Seems to be the case.

Last year, someone high up -- I think it was Holland -- said the organization will be putting a lot of emphasis on "character" in their amateur scouting and drafting. Maybe those guys actually know what they're doing!

I agree. When I first heard that last summer, I couldn't help but role my eyes at the notion that we're going to draft based on character rather than skill... I'm sure skill is still a huge factor, but drafting more of these hard working, character kids may not be a bad idea. It's sure worked out with Larkin. Appears to be working out with Bertuzzi. And may also work out with Rasmussen. Bouchard looks like he could be that type of player in this year's draft. Here's to hoping...

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya let's trade the talented youth we've all been yelling about getting ice time and let's keep overpaid players who have yet to earn their contract...4 years into it....Nyquist.

Keep beating that drum Lefty. Your obsurd hate for Nyquist rivals only that of a fellow Swede; Franzen... I'll say it again (I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time), but Nyquist is a solid top 6 forward and is well worth that contract. It's pointless to tell you that though, I know... 

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not worth his contract.

Lol It's hilarious to me that you like(d) Tatar but hate Nyquist, despite him being on a better contract and the better player. Irrational hate at its finest...

Nah, sign potential 30 goal scorer contract, score 17, then 12, barely got 20 this year. What next year? If he went up from his 27 that he scored prior to his contract, then sure, worth it. But he scored 27 total in the first two seasons to show how much he's "worth" it. Never lived up to his contract and it'll be a shame if he is here to start the season or at least the TDL. Do NOT EVER re-sign...unless it's $2M or less!