• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Nah, sign potential 30 goal scorer contract, score 17, then 12, barely got 20 this year. What next year? If he went up from his 27 that he scored prior to his contract, then sure, worth it. But he scored 27 total in the first two seasons to show how much he's "worth" it. Never lived up to his contract and it'll be a shame if he is here to start the season or at least the TDL. Do NOT EVER re-sign...unless it's $2M or less!

The problem with that theory is, $4.75M isn't close to the standard 30 goal scorer contract. The other problem is that you're basing his worth solely on goals scored, when he's not even a pure goal scorer. His first season and a half was an aberration, not the norm for Nyquist. Never in his career has he been a big goal scorer. He's always been more of a setup guy.

Nyquist averages around 45 points per season. (this was a bit of a down season for him). Just for reference, a low-end 2nd line winger produces 35-40 points, mid-tier 40-45, high-end 45-50. So based on that, Nyquist produced at a mid-tier level this season, but generally produces at a high end level 2nd line winger level.

14 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Nah, sign potential 30 goal scorer contract, score 17, then 12, barely got 20 this year. What next year? If he went up from his 27 that he scored prior to his contract, then sure, worth it. But he scored 27 total in the first two seasons to show how much he's "worth" it. Never lived up to his contract and it'll be a shame if he is here to start the season or at least the TDL. Do NOT EVER re-sign...unless it's $2M or less!

$2 million for someone who scored 20 goals?

You want to pay a Swedish player lower wages. Definitely a racist. 

Edited by kickazz

19 hours ago, Dabura said:

How do we feel about AA?

He was a bit of a letdown for me this year.  Holding out, wanting to prove himself and his stats were about the same as last year.  At times, he looked very dominant on the ice, but unfortunately, most of the time, he was anything but dominant.  Having said that though, he's only 23, has shown that, at times, can be a very good player and I'd hate to trade him and see him gain that consistency to his game with another team.  I just remember the Penguins giving up on Markus Naslund back in 1996 and he was about the same age as AA and was posting very similar stats.  Pens traded him to Vancouver for junk and he excelled into a superstar there.  I'm not saying the same thing will happen here, but I remember watching Naslund play, sometimes even alongside Mario and I can tell you right now, AA shows more promise now than Naslund did then.

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If Nyquist were traded instead of re-signed back when he was locked up due to his current cap hit costing too much, you'd be bitching about that instead. There is no pleasing you. I guess it will also somehow be Hollands fault if he doesn't get the first overall pick to eh? 

16 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

He was a bit of a letdown for me this year.  Holding out, wanting to prove himself and his stats were about the same as last year.  At times, he looked very dominant on the ice, but unfortunately, most of the time, he was anything but dominant.  Having said that though, he's only 23, has shown that, at times, can be a very good player and I'd hate to trade him and see him gain that consistency to his game with another team.  I just remember the Penguins giving up on Markus Naslund back in 1996 and he was about the same age as AA and was posting very similar stats.  Pens traded him to Vancouver for junk and he excelled into a superstar there.  I'm not saying the same thing will happen here, but I remember watching Naslund play, sometimes even alongside Mario and I can tell you right now, AA shows more promise now than Naslund did then.

I agree. But the difference, for me at least, is that we wouldn't trade him for junk. IF we're trading him, it would have to be for a good return, whether he alone gets that, or we add a pick or prospect. I'd call Anaheim and see what it would take to get Montour, who is also a pending RFA. It would likely cost a little more than Athanasiou, but maybe a pick and / or prospect would get it done. If not, some other young potential top end defenseman.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

A typical ELC, then a team/player friendly bridge deal, then if he has turned into what they projected, pay dirt.

I have nothing against Swedish players, just bad ones.

Yet you have nothing against “bad” Slovaks? So still racist against Swedes then.

You guys are funny.

Howard, Helm gotta love those Swedish players!

Too bad you guys derailed this thread, but to sum it up, it has nothing to do with where they're from, if they are not earning their pay and stinking up the joint, then I have issue. Especially if you didnt earn the contract to begin with, but in this case Nyquist did, then turned to sucking.

Remember me not liking Hudler? Ya that Swedish guy, I sure was mad when he left and had a career year in Calgary. I complained so much that he should've been re-signed here. I guess when/if Howard goes and bounces back, I'll be a so mad at Kenny too!

You guys live in a narrative filled fantasy land.

Edited by LeftWinger

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

You guys are funny.

Too bad you guys derailed this thread, but to sum it up, it has nothing to do with where they're from, if they are not earning their pay and stinking up the joint, then I have issue. Especially if you didnt earn the contract to begin with, but in this case Nyquist did, then turned to sucking.

Remember me not liking Hudler? Ya that Swedish guy, I sure was mad when he left and had a career year in Calgary. I complained so much that he should've been re-signed here. I guess when/if Howard goes and bounces back, I'll be a so mad at Kenny too!

We simply live in your fantasy

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

You guys are funny.

Too bad you guys derailed this thread, but to sum it up, it has nothing to do with where they're from, if they are not earning their pay and stinking up the joint, then I an issue. Remember me not liking Hudler? Ya that Swedish guy, I sure was mad when he left and had a career year in Calgary. I complained so much that he should've been re-signed here. I guess when/if Howard goes and bounces back, I'll be a so mad at Kenny too!

Don't make me call the Franzen Police

Nyquist is what he is, and what I figured he'd be.  Some people got over hyped about him, and now that he's not matching up to that he "sucks" in their eyes.  His contract isn't that bad, either.  

AA is all flash and no substance.  He needs to figure out that there's more to hockey than speed and highlight reel goals.  

I tend to be critical of players on my team. Of all the Swedes that have played on this team I'm only always critical of Franzen, Nyquist and Ericsson. Kronwall a little, but it hasn't always been as much with him. If there were no Swedes on this team, I'd still be critical of players. I'm very disappointed with DD, complain about Abby in the top 6, you know my feelings on Helm and Howard. I did complain about Tatar only chose him when the debate was which one do you trade. I wanted them both traded this year. I have said good things about Ericsson this season though.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It would be a real shame if the "family" had to pay a particular someone a visit

610753b026ef784f15be8d3f039cbf93.jpg

That'd my point, of all those Swedes that played, I'm critical of three of them. Kind of destroys the narrative. Debate over. Back to topic.

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I tend to be critical of players on my team. Of all the Swedes that have played on this team I'm only always critical of Franzen, Nyquist and Ericsson. Kronwall a little, but it hasn't always been as much with him. If there were no Swedes on this team, I'd still be critical of players. I'm very disappointed with DD, complain about Abby in the top 6, you know my feelings on Helm and Howard. I did complain about Tatar only chose him when the debate was which one do you trade. I wanted them both traded this year. I have said good things about Ericsson this season though.

That'd my point, of all those Swedes that played, I'm critical of three of them. Kind of destroys the narrative. Debate over. Back to topic.

Let's be clear, when you say "critical of three" you mean Sammy, Franzen, and E. And by "critical of" you mean spaz out in a torrent of vitriol.

That being said, you've never said a bad thing about Lilja, Homer, or Kronwall??? I find that highly doubtful...

17 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Let's be clear, when you say "critical of three" you mean Sammy, Franzen, and E. And by "critical of" you mean spaz out in a torrent of vitriol.

That being said, you've never said a bad thing about Lilja, Homer, or Kronwall??? I find that highly doubtful...

There is nothing bad to say about the Pain Train

38 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't know who Sammy is. If you mean Samuelsson, no I didn't say I was critical of him. You left out Nyquist. You didn't read my post or you would've read I mentioned that I have been critical of Kronwall, but not as much. Never, ever a bad thing to say about Holmstrom. I even advocate retiring his number in the other thread. You tend to omit the players I praise. Holmer, Lidstrom, Olausson. I liked Lilja, except for that one costly turnover. I'm in favor of signing Karlsson if he makes UFA. Obviously a Dahlin fan. Again, narrative crushed, debate over, go back to topic.

Edited by LeftWinger

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't know who Sammy is. If you mean Samuelsson, no I didn't say I was critical of him. You left out Nyquist. You didn't read my post or you would've read I mentioned that I have been critical of Kronwall, but not as much. Never, ever a bad thing to say about Holmstrom. I even advocate retiring his number in the other thread. You tend to omit the players I praise. Holmer, Lidstrom, Olausson. I liked Lilja, except for that one costly turnover. I'm in favor of signing Karlsson if he makes UFA. Obviously a Dahlin fan. Again, narrative crushed, debate over, go back to topic.

Nyquist wasn't in the photo I posted that you quoted. That's the point of confusion, I thought you were referring to the Swedes pictured.

I don't know who Holmer is. If you mean Holmstrom, yes you were "critical" of him at the end of his career.

And yes, you were "critical" of Samuelsson too lol I can probably find some pretty rich posts about Lilja as well.

If you wanna play the game that you've only ever been nasty about 3 Swedish players, play, 90% of the posters here know you're history and I don't feel the need to go out of my way to demonstrate that. In turn, I won't play the game that you are "racist" towards Swedes, I know you're not. You just throw childish tantrums about players you don't like, and a lot of those players happen to be Swedish. Fair enough?