• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

I'm not sure who Ray Koch is, but I found this little tidbit regarding David Pope interesting...

"When I watch David Pope play, there’s one particular comparison that comes to mind: Jake Guentzel. I know, I know, it’s way too cliché and way too early to say that. But really, he posted 41 points in 35 games, including 20 goals. He also has 12 power play goals, which ranked first in the nation. He likes to hang in the right slot and uncork one-timers that seem to either go in or nick off the post every time. Watching him play is like poetry in motion. More so, he has all the attributes to be an NHL star. He’s big, fast, physical and smart. And of course, he can really shoot the puck. Like, really shoot the puck. So why No. 2 on the list? Injuries hampered him part of his senior season, and probably cost him the NCHC player of the year, which he was nominated for. Pope may have the potential for the brightest future of all the Maverick student athletes, and I expect to see him in the NHL next year. The Red Wings are impressed with him and said he could compete for a roster spot next season."

https://unothegateway.com/top-five-standout-mavletes-year/

There's no way Pope is even remotely close to the level of player as Jake Guentzel, but even if he could be a solid 3rd line winger that can help out offensively, I'd be happy.

Another player I'd like to see given an opportunity and potentially a roster spot over a vet... Put your words into action Kenny!

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure who Ray Koch is, but I found this little tidbit regarding David Pope interesting...

"When I watch David Pope play, there’s one particular comparison that comes to mind: Jake Guentzel. I know, I know, it’s way too cliché and way too early to say that. But really, he posted 41 points in 35 games, including 20 goals. He also has 12 power play goals, which ranked first in the nation. He likes to hang in the right slot and uncork one-timers that seem to either go in or nick off the post every time. Watching him play is like poetry in motion. More so, he has all the attributes to be an NHL star. He’s big, fast, physical and smart. And of course, he can really shoot the puck. Like, really shoot the puck. So why No. 2 on the list? Injuries hampered him part of his senior season, and probably cost him the NCHC player of the year, which he was nominated for. Pope may have the potential for the brightest future of all the Maverick student athletes, and I expect to see him in the NHL next year. The Red Wings are impressed with him and said he could compete for a roster spot next season."

There's no way Pope is even remotely close to the level of player as Jake Guentzel, but even if he could be a solid 3rd line winger that can help out offensively, I'd be happy.

Another player I'd like to see given an opportunity and potentially a roster spot over a vet... Put your words into action Kenny!

giphy.gif

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Athansiou - Larkin - Mantha
Helm - Nielsen - Frk
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Witkowski
Booth
Svechnikov

Daley - Green
Deksyer - Ericsson
Kronwall - Ouellet
Jensen
Hicketts

Howard
Coreu
Machovsky

Green = Players who positively contribute to the team, all things considered
Red = Players who are essentially overpaid for their role
Grey = Players who do their job adequately, but are easily replaced if needed
Blue = Call-ups that may or may not be promoted

Does anyone disagree with this assessment? (Not trying to start a goalie war. Let's talk about who should be Howard's backup if you want to go down that road)

I forgot all about David Pope. It seems he has had a nice little college career, good on him for wanting to finish his college off and "walk" in graduation with his friends. That is something that can never be replaced.  I hope he signs a contract, but would he really have a legit shot at making the club? Or would he just turn into another 20-something career AHL'r with a few call ups here and there? I hope he doesn't become a UFA and sign with another team and then becomes good.  Let's at least give him a contract and see if he can be good for us first. 

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I mean if Pope were to make the team, sending Ras back to Jrs would stunt his growth, so someone has got to go. Do they waive Witko? Do they trade someone? Is disney.com to Toronto still an option? Maybe AA gets dealt for a young D-man?

Funny thing, as much as I talked about Hague last season, I was asking myself the other day, would I deal AA to Vegas for him? Sheesh! I couldn't answer it! Would any of you do so?

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I mean if Pope were to make the team, sending Ras back to Jrs would stunt his growth, so someone has got to go. Do they waive Witko? Do they trade someone? Is disney.com to Toronto still an option? Maybe AA gets dealt for a young D-man?

Funny thing, as much as I talked about Hague last season, I was asking myself the other day, would I deal AA to Vegas for him? Sheesh! I couldn't answer it! Would any of you do so?

It's time to let him go

43 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Pope should be given the opportunity as a 12th / 13th forward. He shouldn't have any impact on Rasmussen making the team. Moves can be made to make room for two of these guys. Hopefully Holland is willing to make the necessary adjustments.

There are a number of young defensemen I'd trade Athanasiou for, but I'm not sure if Hague would be one of them.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, marcaractac said:

It's time to let him go

I understand what you are joking about, but he is quite better than most of our other D-prospects. I am not pining for him anymore, but I was just saying, if AA isn't enough to bring us a talent like Hamilton or Trouba, if he could bring us a prospect like Hague or maybe Foote, would you do it?

Nic Hague:

Cal Foote:

Maybe we acquire Foote, then draft his brother in 2019.

Nolan Foote:

Edited by LeftWinger

Not sure if all of these upcoming UFAs would accept backup money/role on a rebuilding team but if they would, I wouldn’t mind any of Lehtonen, Halak, Lack, Bernier on a cheap one year deal.

I’d put Ward in that list too but I don’t think he’ll ever leave Carolina and I’m sure he’d take a discount to stay there. 

This year’s free agency class seems like it has a lot of backup goalie options. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/

11 minutes ago, amato said:

Not sure if all of these upcoming UFAs would accept backup money/role on a rebuilding team but if they would, I wouldn’t mind any of Lehtonen, Halak, Lack, Bernier on a cheap one year deal.

I’d put Ward in that list too but I don’t think he’ll ever leave Carolina and I’m sure he’d take a discount to stay there. 

This year’s free agency class seems like it has a lot of backup goalie options. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/

I'd throw Hutton and Khudobin on the list as well. Dare I say we should consider the Hamburglar?

The other interesting bit is the goalie RFA's. Does Vegas retain Dansk? Does Washington retain Grubauer? And the ultimate dark horse... does Philly retain Mrazek? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd throw Hutton and Khudobin on the list as well. Dare I say we should consider the Hamburglar?

The other interesting bit is the goalie RFA's. Does Vegas retain Dansk? Does Washington retain Grubauer? And the ultimate dark horse... does Philly retain Mrazek? :ph34r:

I suppose I wouldn’t mind any of those three. Would probly prefer Hamburglar over the other two.. skated with him once, seemed like an alright guy. 

The retaining is probably yes, yes, no.. without looking into their individual situations too much. 

I think the team chaos pick would be Mrazek so I might want that just to see reactions :P /wouldn’t mind him at backup money.. doubt he’d come back here though. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Which you know you and I disagree about, which is why I suggested we talk about who his backup is going to be instead, but here we are...

yes but when he is letting in 3-4 goals a night he is NOT positively contributing to the team. He's been slightly above average for his entire contract. I am not saying Mrazek turn out any better, nor am I saying which one we should've of kept, I said trade them both. Just saying he has NOT positively contributed to this team in a long time...

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

yes but when he is letting in 3-4 goals a night he is NOT positively contributing to the team. He's been slightly above average for his entire contract. I am not saying Mrazek turn out any better, nor am I saying which one we should've of kept, I said trade them both. Just saying he has NOT positively contributed to this team in a long time...

One day you're screaming tank it, then the next you say Howard playing bad is not positive for the team. Which one is it? 

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Which you know you and I disagree about, which is why I suggested we talk about who his backup is going to be instead, but here we are...

Just now, marcaractac said:

One day you're screaming tank it, then the next you say Howard playing bad is not positive for the team. Which one is it? 

I've explained this.  I would love a shot at Jack Hughes and sure Howard would help that, but it just irks me that he is getting paid so much to be so-so...oh well. Hopefully he is dealt at the deadline and that'll be it. 

OR re-signed at less than $3M for a year or two.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

I've explained this.  I would love a shot at Jack Hughes and sure Howard would help that, but it just irks me that he is getting paid so much to be so-so...oh well. Hopefully he is dealt at the deadline and that'll be it. 

OR re-signed at less than $3M for a year or two.

He won't be dealt at the deadline. But it's the last year of his deal, so what odds anyway. 

10 minutes ago, amato said:

I suppose I wouldn’t mind any of those three. Would probly prefer Hamburglar over the other two.. skated with him once, seemed like an alright guy. 

The retaining is probably yes, yes, no.. without looking into their individual situations too much. 

I think the team chaos pick would be Mrazek so I might want that just to see reactions :P /wouldn’t mind him at backup money.. doubt he’d come back here though. 

I'd do it just for the chaos and trolling the fanbase lmao agreed that I doubt he comes back though

Grubauer is 26 and is due for a shot at a #1 job. He'll probably get traded though before the Caps release him.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd do it just for the chaos and trolling the fanbase lmao agreed that I doubt he comes back though

Grubauer is 26 and is due for a shot at a #1 job. He'll probably get traded though before the Caps release him.

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’d love Grubauer or another younger guy with future starter potential.. but I don’t think we’ll find one cheap enough tradewise (or in free agency at all) to make sense. Would love to be wrong on that of course, but a cheap one year backup is the route I think we’ll go. 

7 hours ago, amato said:

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’d love Grubauer or another younger guy with future starter potential.. but I don’t think we’ll find one cheap enough tradewise (or in free agency at all) to make sense. Would love to be wrong on that of course, but a cheap one year backup is the route I think we’ll go. 

agreed

Well if we go with Jimmy and a worse back-up, we're definitely getting another lottery pick, so that is fine, but damn he should pay 3/4 of his salary back.

Maybe we'll give Tom McCullum another chance. He'll sign on the cheap, we'll need a sub $1M backup with the money we are already wasting in the G position.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well if we go with Jimmy and a worse back-up, we're definitely getting another lottery pick, so that is fine, but damn he should pay 3/4 of his salary back.

Maybe we'll give Tom McCullum another chance. He'll sign on the cheap, we'll need a sub $1M backup with the money we are already wasting in the G position.

b8238a0415fd8a22bbe91964fc90924a.jpg