• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well if we go with Jimmy and a worse back-up, we're definitely getting another lottery pick, so that is fine, but damn he should pay 3/4 of his salary back.

Maybe we'll give Tom McCullum another chance. He'll sign on the cheap, we'll need a sub $1M backup with the money we are already wasting in the G position.

There is a 36 year old Accountant/Goalie in Chicago with current NHL experience and a winning record that will play for the league minimum. 

Throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. Crooked Ken Holland also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, is going down in flames. I went from VERY successful poster, to top forum Star... I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!

Edited by realLeftWinger

59 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

anddddddddddd this is now a Leftwinger Tippett Hague thread lol

All we're missing is nyquitisthefuture's rant about the Legwand trade

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Please do tell, because if you had paid any attention to prospects you'd know he was a better choice than Ras, ad were many others.

Franzen > Tippett

Green > Hague

Complete list of players with expiring rights for this off-season:

Player Rights Owned By Expiring
Tyler Soy ANA June 1st
Anton Karlsson ARI June 1st
David Westlund ARI June 1st
Jared Fiegl ARI August 15th
Brandon Hickey ARI August 15th
Vojtech Budik BUF June 1st
Brandon Hagel BUF June 1st
Austin Osmanski BUF June 1st
Judd Peterson BUF August 15th
Max Willman BUF August 15th
Adam Ollas Mattsson CGY June 1st
Noah Carroll CAR June 1st
Hudson Elynuik CAR June 1st
Andreas Soderberg CHI June 1st
Max Pajpach COL June 1st
Tyler Bird CBJ August 15th
Miro Karjalainen DAL June 1st
Michael Prapavessis DAL August 15th
Jordan Sambrook DET June 1st
Julius Vahatalo DET June 1st
David Pope DET August 15th
Aidan Muir EDM August 15th
Tyler Vesel EDM August 15th
Hugo Fagerblom FLA June 1st
Adam Mascherin FLA June 1st
Jacob Friend LAK June 1st
Steven Johnson LAK August 15th
Braydyn Chizen MIN June 1st
Kaapo Kahkonen MIN June 1st
Pontus Sjalin MIN June 1st
Dmitry Sokolov MIN June 1st
Avery Peterson MIN August 15th
Evan Cormier NJD June 1st
Shane Eiserman OTT August 15th
Kelly Summers OTT August 15th
Anthony Salinitri PHI June 1st
Terrance Amorosa PHI August 15th
David Drake PHI August 15th
Connor Hall PIT June 1st
Mark Shoemaker SJS June 1st
Dwyer Tschantz STL August 15th
Christopher Paquette TBL June 1st
Johnathan MacLeod TBL August 15th
Vladimir Bobylev TOR June 1st
Pierre Engvall TOR June 1st
Nicolas Mattinen TOR June 1st
Keaton Middleton TOR June 1st
J.J. Piccinich TOR June 1st
Nolan Vesey TOR August 15th
Cole Candella VAN June 1st
Brett McKenzie VAN June 1st
Jakob Stukel VAN June 1st
Kevin Elgestal WSH June 1st
Dmitri Zaitsev WSH June 1st
Jordan Stallard WPG June 1st
Jack Glover WPG August 15th
Matt Ustaski WPG August 15th

I am guessing that they will sign Pope.  I thought Sambrook was suppose to be a solid prospect, wonder why they haven't inked him yet...

Vahatalo looks like one of those picks that you hoped you hit something, but his stats don't look too impressive, but then again, 12 points in 60 games wouldn't be bad for our team last year! :lol:

On 4/24/2018 at 2:23 PM, LeftWinger said:

Please do tell, because if you had paid any attention to prospects you'd know he was a better choice than Ras, ad were many others.

No. He wasn't.

Nico Hischier was selected first overall by the New Jersey Devils
Source: NHL Central Scouting final (April 11, 2017) ranking.[7]
Ranking North American skaters European skaters
1 Canada Nolan Patrick (C) Russia Klim Kostin (C/LW)
2 Switzerland Nico Hischier (C) Sweden Elias Pettersson (C)
3 United States Casey Mittelstadt (C) Sweden Lias Andersson (C)
4 Canada Gabriel Vilardi (C) Finland Miro Heiskanen (D)
5 Canada Michael Rasmussen (C) Czech Republic Martin Necas (C)
6 Canada Cody Glass (C) Sweden Timothy Liljegren (D)
7 Canada Owen Tippett (RW) Finland Kristian Vesalainen (LW/RW)
8 Finland Eeli Tolvanen (RW) Finland Urho Vaakanainen (D)
9 Canada Cale Makar (D) Sweden Erik Brannstrom (D)
10 Canada Nick Suzuki (C) Sweden Jesper Boqvist (C)

The only player ranked higher who was taken later was Vilardi. Even that was a toss up.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Ironic, I just read an article about Boqvist on how he was at the draft when his brother was drafted and he is looking forward to being drafted himself.  I see in this chart that Jesper was 10th ranked European, in the article it said he was chosen 36th overall. Its amazing how players drop sometimes.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ironic, I just read an article about Boqvist on how he was at the draft when his brother was drafted and he is looking forward to being drafted himself.  I see in this chart that Jesper was 10th ranked European, in the article it said he was chosen 36th overall. Its amazing how players drop sometimes.

He didn't drop much. He was ranked 10th and taken 11th. The only European skater that was taken ahead of him that was ranked lower on NHL Central Scouting was Filip Chytil.

16 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't think you understand how the rankings work. 10th ranked EUROPEAN. 

Holland Interview on Red & White Authority

• Holland reiterates that the team is currently focused on building out with youth, but also emphasizes that veterans are still important, basically says: Can't just throw a buncha kids on the ice and expect them to have it all figured out on their own 4 years later. Young players need examples/mentors/leaders.
  • They talk about the many puck-moving D-men in this draft. Holland states the Red Wings need this, but he also doesn't want a team of all 5'10" puck movers. He says we also need some, and this is the exact quote from Ken, "Trees" that can take on the bigger forwards in the league.
  • Ken expects to take 2-3 D-men in the first 3 rounds (we have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds total)
  • I thought this was kinda telling, because Holland kept mentioning it without really being asked. He says the Wings have an abundance of wingers they like in the system, but that if a good winger becomes available (someone who he thinks can net 30 goals and 60-70 pts a season) he's going to take him. Really gave me the impression that the Wings have their eye on a particular winger.
  • Holland is expecting 1, maybe 2, young Dmen to make the team next year (Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak, or our 2018 1st rounder)
  • They talk about Michael Rasmussen's personality and injury this season. They joke about how serious Rasmussen is about his profession, and about how he's so serious that he doesn't laugh. Holland says his personality and leadership was a real part of why the Wings liked him at the draft. Apparently Ras had the option to wait to do his surgery in the summer, but instead wanted to do it immediately this season so that he could rehab before the WHL playoff run and so he would be 100% ready for off-season training in which he intends to train to become a Red Wing.
  • If Tri-City gets eliminated in the playoffs Ras will go immediately to GR to be the second line center according to Holland per Todd Nelson.
  • Horcoff has been working closely with Cholowski to get him stonger. Dennis has added 20 lbs of muscle since we drafted him.
  • Sounds like Holland really likes Ty Bertuzzi. Says 2uzzi has always gone deep in the playoffs wherever he's been and has never had a full summer to really put strength and weight on. That's what motivated the Red Wings to keep him off the Griffins playoff run this year.
  • Blashill made the decision on Torchetti. Wings want to be better at special teams and Blashill wants to try something different on the PP.
  • Holland is handing more responsibilities to Ryan Martin. Once the personnel market shakes out this summer, Holland would consider bringing on another assistant GM, specifically someone who has past experience as a head GM or assistant GM.
  • Holland says Blashill is a young coach still learning everyday, but is a better coach today than when he took over the team.
  • In regards to FA this season, Holland says some guys will be back, some guys won't (bye bye Green??) and will be replaced by younger players. He's hoping to have more cap flexibility next season.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

• Holland reiterates that the team is currently focused on building out with youth, but also emphasizes that veterans are still important, basically says: Can't just throw a buncha kids on the ice and expect them to have it all figured out on their own 4 years later. Young players need examples/mentors/leaders.
  • They talk about the many puck-moving D-men in this draft. Holland states the Red Wings need this, but he also doesn't want a team of all 5'10" puck movers. He says we also need some, and this is the exact quote from Ken, "Trees" that can take on the bigger forwards in the league.
  • Ken expects to take 2-3 D-men in the first 3 rounds (we have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds total)
  • I thought this was kinda telling, because Holland kept mentioning it without really being asked. He says the Wings have an abundance of wingers they like in the system, but that if a good winger becomes available (someone who he thinks can net 30 goals and 60-70 pts a season) he's going to take him. Really gave me the impression that the Wings have their eye on a particular winger.
  • Holland is expecting 1, maybe 2, young Dmen to make the team next year (Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak, or our 2018 1st rounder)
  • They talk about Michael Rasmussen's personality and injury this season. They joke about how serious Rasmussen is about his profession, and about how he's so serious that he doesn't laugh. Holland says his personality and leadership was a real part of why the Wings liked him at the draft. Apparently Ras had the option to wait to do his surgery in the summer, but instead wanted to do it immediately this season so that he could rehab before the WHL playoff run and so he would be 100% ready for off-season training in which he intends to train to become a Red Wing.
  • If Tri-City gets eliminated in the playoffs Ras will go immediately to GR to be the second line center according to Holland per Todd Nelson.
  • Horcoff has been working closely with Cholowski to get him stonger. Dennis has added 20 lbs of muscle since we drafted him.
  • Sounds like Holland really likes Ty Bertuzzi. Says 2uzzi has always gone deep in the playoffs wherever he's been and has never had a full summer to really put strength and weight on. That's what motivated the Red Wings to keep him off the Griffins playoff run this year.
  • Blashill made the decision on Torchetti. Wings want to be better at special teams and Blashill wants to try something different on the PP.
  • Holland is handing more responsibilities to Ryan Martin. Once the personnel market shakes out this summer, Holland would consider bringing on another assistant GM, specifically someone who has past experience as a head GM or assistant GM.
  • Holland says Blashill is a young coach still learning everyday, but is a better coach today than when he took over the team.
  • In regards to FA this season, Holland says some guys will be back, some guys won't (bye bye Green??) and will be replaced by younger players. He's hoping to have more cap flexibility next season.

This is the type of stuff I wanted to hear from him last year once the playoff streak ended, but i'll take it. 

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's definitely saying the right things (in my opinion) and the talk about Rasmussen/Cholowski is equally as good to hear. Hopefully we can walk the walk now and take some solid steps forward.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm more impressed by your ability to bullet point the hell out of this interview. Clearly you didn't do s*** at work today.