• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

interesting at 17:30 Holland addresses the D available at draft, says in years past they've done things a certain way, and if they've drafted a few 5'10" defensemen they can't keep drafting 5'10" defensemen or that is all you'll have on your team in years to come. I am not sure how many D they drafted under 6' but does this mean he isn't going to draft a D under 6'?

Already posted. See below.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holland Interview on Red & White Authority

• Holland reiterates that the team is currently focused on building out with youth, but also emphasizes that veterans are still important, basically says: Can't just throw a buncha kids on the ice and expect them to have it all figured out on their own 4 years later. Young players need examples/mentors/leaders.
  • They talk about the many puck-moving D-men in this draft. Holland states the Red Wings need this, but he also doesn't want a team of all 5'10" puck movers. He says we also need some, and this is the exact quote from Ken, "Trees" that can take on the bigger forwards in the league.
  • Ken expects to take 2-3 D-men in the first 3 rounds (we have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds total)
  • I thought this was kinda telling, because Holland kept mentioning it without really being asked. He says the Wings have an abundance of wingers they like in the system, but that if a good winger becomes available (someone who he thinks can net 30 goals and 60-70 pts a season) he's going to take him. Really gave me the impression that the Wings have their eye on a particular winger.
  • Holland is expecting 1, maybe 2, young Dmen to make the team next year (Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak, or our 2018 1st rounder)
  • They talk about Michael Rasmussen's personality and injury this season. They joke about how serious Rasmussen is about his profession, and about how he's so serious that he doesn't laugh. Holland says his personality and leadership was a real part of why the Wings liked him at the draft. Apparently Ras had the option to wait to do his surgery in the summer, but instead wanted to do it immediately this season so that he could rehab before the WHL playoff run and so he would be 100% ready for off-season training in which he intends to train to become a Red Wing.
  • If Tri-City gets eliminated in the playoffs Ras will go immediately to GR to be the second line center according to Holland per Todd Nelson.
  • Horcoff has been working closely with Cholowski to get him stonger. Dennis has added 20 lbs of muscle since we drafted him.
  • Sounds like Holland really likes Ty Bertuzzi. Says 2uzzi has always gone deep in the playoffs wherever he's been and has never had a full summer to really put strength and weight on. That's what motivated the Red Wings to keep him off the Griffins playoff run this year.
  • Blashill made the decision on Torchetti. Wings want to be better at special teams and Blashill wants to try something different on the PP.
  • Holland is handing more responsibilities to Ryan Martin. Once the personnel market shakes out this summer, Holland would consider bringing on another assistant GM, specifically someone who has past experience as a head GM or assistant GM.
  • Holland says Blashill is a young coach still learning everyday, but is a better coach today than when he took over the team.
  • In regards to FA this season, Holland says some guys will be back, some guys won't (bye bye Green??) and will be replaced by younger players. He's hoping to have more cap flexibility next season.

Interesting what he said about best player available. Even though he said he has a bunch of wingers already and they will focus on rebuilding the D, he says that if the best player available is a Winger, you draft the winger and move out a player to acquire what you need (paraphrasing.) I know you mentioned this too CRL...

I wonder if Wahlstrom or a better winger is there #6, would or could that spell the eminent trade of AA in a package for a D? Hmmmm.....

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Interesting what he said about best player available. Even though he said he has a bunch of wingers already and they will focus on rebuilding the D, he says that if the best player available is a Winger, you draft the winger and move out a player to acquire what you need (paraphrasing.) I know you mentioned this too CRL...

I wonder if Wahlstrom or a better winger is there #6, would or could that spell the eminent trade of AA in a package for a D? Hmmmm.....

If they do deem the best player available to be a winger, then they should take the winger. Always take the best player available. The issue I'd have with that, this year picking at 6, I think there will be at least one defenseman available better than any winger. 

Bouchard may be the only player outside of the top 2-3 that could be NHL ready next season. I think he makes any other team out of camp. If we take him, I'd hope he'd be given every opportunity to make the Wings. There's not a doubt in my mind that he'd be an upgrade over a few of our defensemen today...

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Good prospect news:

Givani Smith has 18 points in 18 playoff games.

Larsson named USHL goalie of the year.

Smith is going to be a fun one to watch continue to develop. Glad to hear he’s doing well. Hopefully he develops into a productive power forward at the NHL level. 

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Good prospect news:

Givani Smith has 18 points in 18 playoff games.

Larsson named USHL goalie of the year.

Smith was suspended for game 7 against Sault Ste Marie for flipping off the bench after a game 6 victory. The Greyhounds won game 7. Terrible judgement call on his part. Discipline has been a major cause for concern with Givani. It also was with Bertuzzi and he figured it out, so hopefully Smith can as well.

2 hours ago, amato said:

Smith is going to be a fun one to watch continue to develop. Glad to hear he’s doing well. Hopefully he develops into a productive power forward at the NHL level. 

The more I think about it, the more similarities I see between Smith and Bertuzzi. Both are Ontario kids, drafted by the Red Wings in the 2nd round (earlier than expected), from the Guelph Storm. Even their birthday's are only three days apart. Both are left handed wingers that like to play a physical, in-your-face brand of hockey. Their high PIM's and sometimes undiscipline play have been a cause for concern at times. Both create opportunities with their heavy, relentless forecheck, causing opposition turnovers. Bertuzzi was known as a big playoff performer. Smith proved to be productive in his first real opportunity of playoff hockey. Bertuzzi made some major adjustments to his game to be productive at the pro level. It will be interesting to see if Smith can do the same, and how he transitions to the pro game next season.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Smith was suspended for game 7 against Sault Ste Marie for flipping off the bench after a game 6 victory. The Greyhounds won game 7. Terrible judgement call on his part. Discipline has been a major cause for concern with Givani. It also was with Bertuzzi and he figured it out, so hopefully Smith can as well.

The more I think about it, the more similarities I see between Smith and Bertuzzi. Both are Ontario kids, drafted by the Red Wings in the 2nd round (earlier than expected), from the Guelph Storm. Even their birthday's are only three days apart. Both are left handed wingers that like to play a physical, in-your-face brand of hockey. Their high PIM's and sometimes undiscipline play have been a cause for concern at times. Both create opportunities with their heavy, relentless forecheck, causing opposition turnovers. Bertuzzi was known as a big playoff performer. Smith proved to be productive in his first real opportunity of playoff hockey. Bertuzzi made some major adjustments to his game to be productive at the pro level. It will be interesting to see if Smith can do the same, and how he transitions to the pro game next season.

Those similarities are pretty crazy. It would be amazing if both could turn into top 6 power forwards, retrieving pucks in the corners/behind the net for their lines, while also chipping in with goals. They both seem like they're tough to play against/won't give opponents much time to set up a breakout, and I love having players like that. If even one of them ends up being a legit top 6 power forward, I'll call that a success. Bertuzzi seems like he's improving faster that I expected.. hope he keeps that up. 

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Those similarities are pretty crazy. It would be amazing if both could turn into top 6 power forwards, retrieving pucks in the corners/behind the net for their lines, while also chipping in with goals. They both seem like they're tough to play against/won't give opponents much time to set up a breakout, and I love having players like that. If even one of them ends up being a legit top 6 power forward, I'll call that a success. Bertuzzi seems like he's improving faster that I expected.. hope he keeps that up. 

I agree.

A full off-season dedicated to training should do Bertuzzi a lot of good too. I like that he's concentrated more on the skill side of the game, but I don't want him to completely lose that nasty edge he had in Guelph / Grand Rapids either. I'd love for both to develop into top 6 power-forward types that can play physically, but can also contribute offensively. I think middle 6 may be a more realistic expectation for both though. Bertuzzi took a huge step in his development this year, and took everybody by surprise. Hopefully he can have another big season next year and avoid the sophomore slump. And hopefully Smith continues on a similar path as Bert.

It will be nice to have a chippy Bertuzzi and Smith in the lineup one day. Abby and Witkowski can sweep up those who don't take kindly to it.

Everybody's all worked up about Smith flippin the bird. It was dumb cause he got suspended for a game 7, but otherwise I like it. It's nice when you're team is so talented that everyone can play classy and the PP is the enforcer and what not, but we're not that talented anymore. I just want Bertuzzi to touch opponents water bottles.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It will be nice to have a chippy Bertuzzi and Smith in the lineup one day. Abby and Witkowski can sweep up those who don't take kindly to it.

Everybody's all worked up about Smith flippin the bird. It was dumb cause he got suspended for a game 7, but otherwise I like it. It's nice when you're team is so talented that everyone can play classy and the PP is the enforcer and what not, but we're not that talented anymore. I just want Bertuzzi to touch opponents water bottles.

Won't be nice for @frankgrimes

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I believe he misses game 1 in the next round too. Not smart by any means, but he's just a kid, so not such a big deal IMO. I mean, its not like he was driving an SUV with a .30 blood alcohol level in a Teletubby costume!

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I remember when Jensen kicked Bertuzzi's ass

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Grown man kicking a boys ass

Nice

He was 18 the other was 22. Both boys. Like a senior in college fighting a freshman. But technically both legal adults. 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

I remember when Jensen kicked Bertuzzi's ass

Not sure what you seen there... I see Bertuzzi being his (old) agitating self, probably not expecting to drop the gloves in training camp against a future teammate. Jensen turned around and got three good shots in before Bertuzzi even had a chance to react. When Bert finally realized what was happening, he dropped his gloves and took the fight over. He got a few good right jabs in, a couple pretty big uppercuts and another right hook. Jensen does get credit for the take down, right before a coach (Granato I think) stepped in to break it up.

Jensen also needed surgery on his shoulder after the fight. I think Bertuzzi definitely got the upper hand in that one. A lot of people hated Lil' Bert after that scuffle, and I think management went down pretty hard on him, which may be a big reason he seems to be neutered of his old agitating / fighting ways...

Everything is pointing to Rasmussen being a Red Wing next season, straight out of training camp.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/05/red_wings_prospects_kaden_fulc.html

Michael Rasmussen's season ended Monday night when his Tri-City Americans lost 6-5 in overtime against Everett in Game 6 of their WHL semifinal series.

Rasmussen, Detroit's top pick in 2017 (ninth overall), was tied for second with 16 goals and second with 33 points in 14 playoff games.

It might have been his final junior game. The Red Wings are hoping Rasmussen makes the NHL roster out of training camp. They have him projected as their third-line left wing next season before transitioning to center, his natural position, the following season. If he doesn't make the NHL roster he must be sent back to Tri-City because he has another year of junior eligibility. He can't play in the AHL next season.

16 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The Red Wings are hoping Rasmussen makes the NHL roster out of training camp. They have him projected as their third-line left wing next season before transitioning to center, his natural position, the following season.

3rd line left wing eh?

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Svechnikov

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Frk / Witkowski