• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

You quotes two people, I only mentioned Kindl. He was a bust from day 1, but was the #5ish ranked European. 

I am far from anti-Holland, just skeptical-Holland. But they're the pros, so they'll draft who they think is the best at that spot. I just don't want to chose a player because Michigan/Sweden or anything. I want the best player at #6, we may not get a pick this high in a long time. They know more than we do, but I trust the insiders at TSN, if they say Bouchard or Dobson are the best pick, then I believe they are.

Kindl was drafted from Kitchener in the OHL, and was the 18th ranked NA skater. There were a few players ranked higher who were still available, but all of them ended up being even worse. I don't doubt that you never liked him (though if his name was Jacob Kendall...), but they were not "bypassing the better player" in drafting him. That's just hindsight talking.

In Button's latest mock draft, he ranks them: Hughes 5th, Bouchard 6th, Dobson 7th, Boqvist 10th. You a Hughes guy now? If you look around enough, I'm sure you could find an expert ranking them in any order you want.

All four of them have elite potential, and there is no consensus on which is the best choice, though people will act like there was when their favorite isn't picked. Hughes and Boqvist are probably better defensively than most would give them credit for, and Bouchard probably not as good. Hughes is the best skater, and probably best playmaker. Bouchard the most NHL-ready, probably the best shooter. Dobson the best all-around game, best defense, but maybe lowest offensive potential. Boqvist probably the best overall offensive skill, least developed, but 7-10 months younger than the others. Might have been next year's Dahlin if he'd been born a month later.

We should all be happy with any one of them.

16 hours ago, Buppy said:

Kindl was drafted from Kitchener in the OHL, and was the 18th ranked NA skater. There were a few players ranked higher who were still available, but all of them ended up being even worse. I don't doubt that you never liked him (though if his name was Jacob Kendall...), but they were not "bypassing the better player" in drafting him. That's just hindsight talking.

In Button's latest mock draft, he ranks them: Hughes 5th, Bouchard 6th, Dobson 7th, Boqvist 10th. You a Hughes guy now? If you look around enough, I'm sure you could find an expert ranking them in any order you want.

All four of them have elite potential, and there is no consensus on which is the best choice, though people will act like there was when their favorite isn't picked. Hughes and Boqvist are probably better defensively than most would give them credit for, and Bouchard probably not as good. Hughes is the best skater, and probably best playmaker. Bouchard the most NHL-ready, probably the best shooter. Dobson the best all-around game, best defense, but maybe lowest offensive potential. Boqvist probably the best overall offensive skill, least developed, but 7-10 months younger than the others. Might have been next year's Dahlin if he'd been born a month later.

We should all be happy with any one of them.

So going into that season we had the following defense:

Lidstrom (35 years old)
Schneider (36 years old)
Chelios (43 years old)
Lilja (30 years old)
Woolley (36 years old)
Lebda (23 years old)
Kronwall (24 years old)
Fischer (25 years old)
Quincey (20 years old)

Obviously not knowing Fischer was going to be seriously injured, they had 4 young guys who were promising at the time and Ericsson in the system (sleeper pick at the time). Lidstrom, Schneider, and Lilja all had a few seasons left. They didn't need to burn that pick on Kindl. I understand he looked good at the time, but if you look down that draft... yeesh.

Tuukka Rask taken 21st
T.J. Oshie taken 24th
Matt Niskanen taken 28th 
James Neal taken 33rd
Marc-Edward Vlasic taken 35th

We picked Abdelkader at 42nd overall

Paul Stastny taken 44th

The fact that we missed on Rask, Oshie, Niskanen, Vlasic, AND Stastny (after Abdelkader) is interesting.

52 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Lidstrom (35 years old)
Schneider (36 years old)
Chelios (43 years old)
Lilja (30 years old)
Woolley (36 years old)
Lebda (23 years old)
Kronwall (24 years old)
Fischer (25 years old)
Quincey (20 years old)

Obviously not knowing Fischer was going to be seriously injured, they had 4 young guys who were promising at the time and Ericsson in the system (sleeper pick at the time). Lidstrom, Schneider, and Lilja all had a few seasons left. They didn't need to burn that pick on Kindl. I understand he looked good at the time, but if you look down that draft... yeesh.

Tuukka Rask taken 21st
T.J. Oshie taken 24th
Matt Niskanen taken 28th 
James Neal taken 33rd

Paul Stastny taken 44th

The fact that we missed on Rask, Oshie, Niskanen, Vlasic, AND Stastny (after Abdelkader) is interesting.

It is interesting, it was typical Holland trying to score a sleeper in the 1st.  THANK GOD he has gotten away from that! HOPEFULLY he stays away form it! DO NOT draft players with injury history either!!!

Edited by LeftWinger

31 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

They didn't need to burn that pick on Kindl. I understand he looked good at the time, but if you look down that draft... yeesh.

Tuukka Rask taken 21st
T.J. Oshie taken 24th
Matt Niskanen taken 28th 
James Neal taken 33rd

Paul Stastny taken 44th

What about all the players selected before Kindl that were complete garbage?

6 - Gilbert Brule

7 - Jack Skille

9 - Brian Lee

10 - Luc Bourdon

13 - Marek Zagrapan

14 - Sasha Pokulok

15 - Ryan O'Marra

16 - Alex Bourret

18 - Ryan Parent

What about all the players selected just after Kindl that were complete garbage?

20 - Kenndal McArdle

22 - Matt Lashoff

23 - Nicklas Bergfors

26 - Matt Pelech

27 - Joe Finley

30 - Vladimir Mihalik

31 - Brendan Mikkelson

32 - Tyler Plante

34 - Ryan Stoa

36 - Taylor Chorney

37 - Scott Jackson

38 - Jeff Frazee

39 - Petr Kalus

40 - Mike Sauer

That's 23 players in the top 40 that were MUCH worse picks than Kindl. Just because you can pick out a handful of players 10+ years later that we coulda / shoulda picked means nothing. You can do that with literally any team, any draft. That's why "re-drafts" are such a big thing these days. The funny thing is, Kindl would still be an early to mid 2nd round pick in a re-draft.

Kindl was not a bust, he just wasn't a homerun pick. Draft are complete crap-shoots after the first 3-7 players depending on the year. Teams that pick the homeruns are lucky. Teams that pick the busts are unlucky.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

What about all the players selected before Kindl that were complete garbage?

6 - Gilbert Brule

7 - Jack Skille

9 - Brian Lee

10 - Luc Bourdon

Point proven I'm sure. 

BUT this scares the living beeejeeezuzzzzz out of me about how easy it could be to miss on a prospect at #6

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Seems like the best thread for this little nugget. 

Interesting to note that Detroit also has an assistant coaching vacancy. 

I was really hoping Nelson would be the assistant under Blashill, and maybe take over as head coach at some point. He's very similar to Gallant in that he's a player's coach. It seems a lot of teams are having success under these types of coaches lately. Have we ever had a "player's coach"? I though Blashill was, but not really. Babcock was the complete opposite of a player's coach. Lewis? No. Bowman? Ha NO! Murray? Maybe...

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I was really hoping Nelson would be the assistant under Blashill, and maybe take over as head coach at some point. He's very similar to Gallant in that he's a player's coach. It seems a lot of teams are having success under these types of coaches lately. Have we ever had a "player's coach"? I though Blashill was, but not really. Babcock was the complete opposite of a player's coach. Lewis? No. Bowman? Ha NO! Murray? Maybe...

I wonder if the "player coach" phenomenon can be directly related to how young teams have become over the years. Guys like Bowman were needed to f*** with the heads of veterans and keep them motivated. Kids right out of Jr might rather play for someone who's more fun to be around? I don't know......just thinking out loud here.

Edit: spelling

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Point proven I'm sure. 

BUT this scares the living beeejeeezuzzzzz out of me about how easy it could be to miss on a prospect at #6

I'm not too worried. This seems to be as much of a can't miss top 7-10 as we've seen. There probably will be one or two busts in the top 10-15, but I think we'll be good at 6. Also, scouting and player development is light-years ahead of where it was even 10 years ago. There will obviously always be players that rise and fall post-draft, but I think the percentage will continue to decrease.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I wonder if the "player coach" phenomenon can be directly related to how young teams have become over the years. Guys like Bowmen were needed to f*** with the heads of veterans and keep them motivated. Kids right out of Jr might rather play for someone who's more fun to be around? I don't know......just thinking out loud here.

I think that's a definite possibility. The league is getting younger and younger every year. More 18-21 year olds, less 35+ year olds. Makes sense.

Also, remember in that 2005 2nd round, not only were they one of the teams to pass on Stastny in the 2nd, but they traded UP to get Abby. They must have really loved him! They also passed (as did others) on Letang, Russel, Quick all of which went higher 3rd round. The selected Lofberg (why? you tell me) and could've gotten Bishop instead, IIRC their goaltending situation wasn't in the best shape at that time with Legace and Osgood. In the 4th the selected Ritola (why? You tell me) two spots before Keith Yandle and then 3 spots later went Hjalmarsson. They had 3 5th round picks, you can't argue with Helm (although way overpaid now) but wasted the other two, May and John Ryno (why? You tell me.)  The 6th was a bust when they went off the board with Juho Mielonen (why?) and we didn't have a 7th although two players who the Wings were always linked to possibly trading for or signing UFA went then, Stralman and Hornqvist.  The draft is a crap shoot and everyone cannot hit the lottery, I just cannot stand drafting a player "just because" of certain circumstances, like, where they are from.  That draft killed me because it was painfully obvious Holland and Crew were trying to hit homeruns with sleeper picks and show the NHL that they were geniuses! But, nope, they weren't. Haken Andersson gained a reputation because of a few players he found, but man his "suggested" picks after a while and even now are total busts. We need to draft the right player(s) and the best player(s) forget this trying to get a diamond with a hopeful sleeper pick, it barely works anymore. Just DON'T do it...

Stokin the threads up! I am with @kickazz we need to rev it up some in here, the draft is upcoming!

Edited by LeftWinger

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Also, remember in that 2005 2nd round, not only were they one of the teams to pass on Stastny in the 2nd, but they traded UP to get Abby. They must have really loved him! They also passed (as did others) on Letang, Russel, Quick all of which went higher 3rd round. The selected Lofberg (why? you tell me) and could've gotten Bishop instead, IIRC their goaltending situation wasn't in the best shape at that time with Legace and Osgood. In the 4th the selected Ritola (why? You tell me) two spots before Keith Yandle and then 3 spots later went Hjalmarsson. They had 3 5th round picks, you can't argue with Helm (although way overpaid now) but wasted the other two, May and John Ryno (why? You tell me.)  The 6th was a bust when they went off the board with Juho Mielonen (why?) and we didn't have a 7th although two players who the Wings were always linked to possibly trading for or signing UFA went then, Stralman and Hornqvist.  The draft is a crap shoot and everyone cannot hit the lottery, I just cannot stand drafting a player "just because" of certain circumstances, like, where they are from.  That draft killed me because it was painfully obvious Holland and Crew were trying to hit homeruns with sleeper picks and show the NHL that they were geniuses! But, nope, they weren't. Haken Andersson gained a reputation because of a few players he found, but man his "suggested" picks after a while and even now are total busts. We need to draft the right player(s) and the best player(s) forget this trying to get a diamond with a hopeful sleeper pick, it barely works anymore. Just DON'T do it...

Stokin the threads up! I am with @kickazz we need to rev it up some in here, the draft is upcoming!

Well, what would you expect from a team that passed on Pavel Datsyuk SEVEN TIMES in the 98 draft? 

I found a sleeper UFA we should sign to coincide with page 1 of the Holland book! (yes, joking on myself)

Kevin Klima (yes that Klima family) he is 20 (has a twin brother, Kelly, playing with him, could get a two for one deal) and here are his stats from last season:

Here is his brothers:

I am half joking, but if we're looking to shore up our prospect pool, what would hurt?

re: Datsyuk (Zetterberg)

Well at least in 98 and 99, sleepers were still a thing....not so much today.

Edited by LeftWinger

5 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Lidstrom (35 years old)
Schneider (36 years old)
Chelios (43 years old)
Lilja (30 years old)
Woolley (36 years old)
Lebda (23 years old)
Kronwall (24 years old)
Fischer (25 years old)
Quincey (20 years old)

Tuukka Rask taken 21st
T.J. Oshie taken 24th
Matt Niskanen taken 28th 
James Neal taken 33rd

Paul Stastny taken 44th

You forgot Letang and Yandle, and probably a handful of others. Hindsight sure is easy. So easy that I find it funny that you still came up with the self-contradictory argument that we shouldn't have drafted Kindl because we had too many defensemen, but name two different, lower-ranked defensemen that we should have taken instead. 

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It is interesting, it was typical Holland trying to score a sleeper in the 1st.  THANK GOD he has gotten away from that! HOPEFULLY he stays away form it! DO NOT draft players with injury history either!!!

No! Bad fan! Bad!

That is literally the opposite of reality. Again, Kindl was ranked 18th. Niskanen was ranked 31st. Vlasic was 70th. Abdelkader was 25th while Stastny was 74th. Letang was 44th and Yandle 55th. It is those guys that would have been "trying to score a sleeper". 

Now go chain yourself up in the backyard for the rest of the day as punishment.

Also, is "injury history" going to be your new slang for "European style"?

Edited by Buppy

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

the Wings were halfway between Cup wins in 2005. When you are in contender mode and you give up draft picks to be more competitive, you have fewer picks to score with. This is exactly the scenario where you should be "swinging for the fences." You can afford to take chances at that point. You play it safe when you are in rebuild mode, like now.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I hate hindsight. If only I had picked numbers 1, 21, 31, 45, 49, 21 I would have won the last powerball and 60 million dollars. I didn't, so I will over-analyze my number choices and ridicule myself for picking what I should have known would be the wrong numbers.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

the Wings were halfway between Cup wins in 2005. When you are in contender mode and you give up draft picks to be more competitive, you have fewer picks to score with. This is exactly the scenario where you should be "swinging for the fences." You can afford to take chances at that point. You play it safe when you are in rebuild mode, like now.

I hate hindsight. If only I had picked numbers 1, 21, 31, 45, 49, 21 I would have won the last powerball and 60 million dollars. I didn't, so I will over-analyze my number choices and ridicule myself for picking what I should have known would be the wrong numbers.

Dude, don't tell me about lottery numbers! UGH! a few weeks ago I was driving up to play both the Mega and Powerball, usually when I do, I play the daily 4 for $1. I looked at the clock and it was too late for that, for they already closed the window for that day, my number is 1604.....guess what happened? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!! 1604 was the straight number that evening, if I had only decided to go 20 minutes earlier!!!!

...anyhow, ya, I understand hindsight, but I did say drafts are a crap shoot, not saying they would even have taken those guys instead of who they took, but it was painfully obvious that draft that they were drafting players that were recommended by Andersson and no other reason, they were hoping to hit paydirt with a sleeper out of Europe. That is what I hate, and that is what I hope he doesn't do anymore. He hasn't been, so lets keep it that way! Unless you wanna use the 6th and 7th rounders, like my sleeper pick Liam Kirk. Anynhow, hindsight, I know, look at 1990!

3 hours ago, Buppy said:

You forgot Letang and Yandle, and probably a handful of others. Hindsight sure is easy. So easy that I find it funny that you still came up with the self-contradictory argument that we shouldn't have drafted Kindl because we had too many defensemen, but name two different, lower-ranked defensemen that we should have taken instead. 

No! Bad fan! Bad!

That is literally the opposite of reality. Again, Kindl was ranked 18th. Niskanen was ranked 31st. Vlasic was 70th. Abdelkader was 25th while Stastny was 74th. Letang was 44th and Yandle 55th. It is those guys that would have been "trying to score a sleeper". 

No, injury history is injury history, no matter what style, just stay away!

3 hours ago, Buppy said:

No! Bad fan! Bad!

It's a forum... most of it is hindsight, captain obvious. My point was more relevant when talking about Abdelkader who they moved up to pick... because Holland loves his US Dev players. Abdelkader is nothing special without Datsyuk to feed off of. He should never crack the top 6. Stastny on the other hand...

I guess the problem are the rankings or the people who rank them then! If that is the case, then Montana Onyebuchi will probably become the best D in this draft class!

I don't care who they draft anymore, as long as they draft my sleeper Liam Kirk with one of their late picks...besides, we need a Brit on this team!

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I guess the problem are the rankings or the people who rank them then! If that is the case, then Montana Onyebuchi will probably become the best D in this draft class!

I don't care who they draft anymore, as long as they draft my sleeper Liam Kirk with one of their late picks...besides, we need a Brit on this team!

Dentally speaking, we already have several.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

It's a forum... most of it is hindsight, captain obvious. My point was more relevant when talking about Abdelkader who they moved up to pick... because Holland loves his US Dev players. Abdelkader is nothing special without Datsyuk to feed off of. He should never crack the top 6. Stastny on the other hand...

Apparently I'm not a good enough captain of obviousness if you missed the fact that Abdelkader was ranked much higher than Stastny. You can ***** about Abby now if it makes you feel better, but saying it was a bad pick is just plain stupid.

... it was painfully obvious that draft that they were drafting players that were recommended by Andersson and no other reason, they were hoping to hit paydirt with a sleeper out of Europe. That is what I hate, and that is what I hope he doesn't do anymore. He hasn't been, so lets keep it that way! Unless you wanna use the 6th and 7th rounders, like my sleeper pick Liam Kirk. Anynhow, hindsight, I know, look at 1990!

No, injury history is injury history, no matter what style, just stay away!

If I thought you were trolling I'd applaud the effort, but you genuinely believe the fantasies you dream up. Frightening.

And we'll see if "injury history" is still a thing once it applies to someone you like. 

I guess the problem are the rankings or the people who rank them then!...

How typically internet. "Trust the insiders" when they say what you want. Bunch of idiots when they don't.

57 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Apparently I'm not a good enough captain of obviousness if you missed the fact that Abdelkader was ranked much higher than Stastny. You can ***** about Abby now if it makes you feel better, but saying it was a bad pick is just plain stupid.

If I thought you were trolling I'd applaud the effort, but you genuinely believe the fantasies you dream up. Frightening.

And we'll see if "injury history" is still a thing once it applies to someone you like. 

How typically internet. "Trust the insiders" when they say what you want. Bunch of idiots when they don't.

Some might say Colorado took the risk and drafted smarter than the Wings.

14 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm not so sure that unconscionable bigotry is the spice we want to zest up the board.

3 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Some might say Colorado took the risk and drafted smarter than the Wings.

Complete reversal of the original argument. There's a certain charm to the tactic, I'll give you that.