• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/06/detroit_red_wings_set_sights_o.html#incart_river_mobile_index

takeaways:

- Holland wants Kovalchuk and is offering 2 years at a high salary

- Vanek is also on his radar, 1 year only

- Green offers are 1 year at 6 million or 2 years at 5 million

- Primary backup wants are Hutton or Khudobin

- Frk may not be re-signed

- Bylsma may be joining the coaching staff

- RFAs: Larkin will be the only long term contract, 5 years. The others will be no more than 3 years.

43 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/06/detroit_red_wings_set_sights_o.html#incart_river_mobile_index

takeaways:

- RFAs: Larkin will be the only long term contract, 5 years. The others will be no more than 3 years.

So rebuild on the fly

45 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

takeaways:

I would rather neither, would be okay with one (Kovalchuk), but both? I really hope that's not what management actually wants.

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I would rather neither, would be okay with one (Kovalchuk), but both? I really hope that's not what management actually wants.

He wont come here. He'll go to a cup contender

1 hour ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I don't think they want both. I think Kovalchuk is who Holland wants bad and Vanek would be the consolation prize. I get what they're trying to do in a) giving the young guys proven goal scorers to play off of and b) not be any worse than last season so that the fans don't become disinterested. What they're missing is that fans will become EVEN more disinterested if management keeps pushing back the youth movement for UFA older vets and the rebuild lasts a few more years than it should.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

So rebuild on the fly

I guess. Unless Holland is planning on moving out some contracts, I don't know how he is going to stick to what he said earlier in the spring about bringing in 3-5 young guys.

54 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Wouldn't have any issue with Bylsma joining the coaching staff...Just learned that he's exactly 1 day older than me :baby:

As far as Green goes...$5, or $6 large is a bit steep...May as well see what De Haan, and Cole have to offer.

Yeah, Bylsma seems like the best choice at this point in time. I've heard some rumblings about how he isn't a "players coach," but unless they find a more unknown guy, I don't know what else they'd do. 

Agree about Green. I was hoping it'd be down around 4-4.5 per, max. I'd rather they just let him walk and keep Jensen and bring up one of the young guys, or trade Jensen and bring up Hicketts and Hronek.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

takeaways:

-LGW goes ballistic on Holland and must be re-prescribed Xanex.

You forgot one.

So rebuild on the fly

Pretty much what Holland said, That this rebuild would be on the fly.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Frk sucks, Vanek rules

Yes Yes.

He wont come here. He'll go to a cup contender

Yeah and rumor has it that Kovalchuk wants 3 x $6M per how many cup contenders can afford that. Seeing that most are up against the cap now.

8 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Pretty much what Holland said, That this rebuild would be on the fly.

Yes Yes.

Yeah and rumor has it that Kovalchuk wants 3 x $6M per how many cup contenders can afford that. Seeing that most are up against the cap now.

Vegas, Leafs, Devils, Wild, Bruins, Predators, Kings, Sharks, Rangers (fringe) all, seemingly, have caps space for such a contract.

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Vegas, Leafs, Devils, Wild, Bruins, Predators, Kings, Sharks, Rangers (fringe) all, seemingly, have caps space for such a contract.

Devils, Wild, Kings and Rangers those teams aren't cup contenders only possibly Leafs, Preds, Sharks, Vegas and possibly Bruins right now the Kings, Rangers and Wild aren't all that much better then Detroit in reality Detroit has no business pursuing Kovy any ways he just fills seats.

8 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Devils, Wild, Kings and Rangers those teams aren't cup contenders only possibly Leafs, Preds, Sharks, Vegas and possibly Bruins right now the Kings, Rangers and Wild aren't all that much better then Detroit in reality Detroit has no business pursuing Kovy any ways he just fills seats.

I have zero issue getting Kovy on this team since he'll only bring assets at the deadline. Kovy isn't coming here, but asset collection is imperative during a rebuild.

3 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

takeaways:

I'd be okay with Kovalchuk as long as it's short term. I'd prefer Vanek over Kovalchuk if it comes down to Kovalchuk at $6M per for 2 years or Vanek at $2.5M for 1 year. I'd also be okay with Frk walking if we get either.

I'd prefer a lower cap hit for Green, but I'd be okay with $6M for 1 year, and flip him at the deadline.

Imagine having Nyquist, Vanek, Green and Howard all on expiring contracts to trade at the deadline. Assuming they all have reasonably good seasons, stay healthy, they'd fetch a pretty solid return for sure.

Backup position is whatever. Give it to McCollum for all I care...

I think it's pretty much a done deal that Bylsma will be an assistant next season. Hopefully he can do something to spark the offense / power-play.

I've always rooted for Frk, so I'm biased here, but I really don't understand not re-signing him.  He gave the team 11 goals as a rookie averaging 10 minutes a night.  For a team that supposedly wants to score more goals I don't know why you'd turn your nose up at that.  I realize he's not great defensively, but I'm not really sure he needs to be given our current roster.  I assume this has more to do with making spots for a couple of Ras, Svech, and a UFA or two.

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I've always rooted for Frk, so I'm biased here, but I really don't understand not re-signing him.  He gave the team 11 goals as a rookie averaging 10 minutes a night.  For a team that supposedly wants to score more goals I don't know why you'd turn your nose up at that.  I realize he's not great defensively, but I'm not really sure he needs to be given our current roster.  I assume this has more to do with making spots for a couple of Ras, Svech, and a UFA or two.

They think his last name doesn't have enough vowels. 

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I like Frk too, and I always hoped he'd succeed in Detroit. I think he was oftentimes underutilized, but that's not really uncommon for young offense first players with the Wings. I'd like to see another short term, low cap contract, but I doubt he's brought back. Either way, I hope some team gives him a shot (no pun intended)...

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Because he sucks, and I told ya so. And I've waited almost an entire year (1 day off) to tell you again...

On 6/16/2017 at 12:12 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Kip, i get your idea, i like your idea, but Frk aint the one. Frk is never gonna be an NHLer. Pulks was better than he is, and Pulks aint diddly in the NHL. Id rather bring back Hudler

Nosek is a slightly better Andersson, and more suited for the NHL than Frk, and i seriously doubt he will last long in the NHL

On 6/17/2017 at 9:42 AM, kipwinger said:

It doesn't work that way though.  Jurco was a better AHLer than Athanasiou and he was an NHL flop, so by your rationale AA should never have gotten a call up because he wasn't even Jurco good.  Pulkinnen had better AHL career than most NHL players did btw.  So what?  All that means is that Pulkkinen wasn't any good.  It doesn't say much at all about everyone else.  Frk shoots as well as Pulkkinen did, but he's bigger, stronger, faster, and more aggressive.  He's worth a look.  If he doesn't pan out, oh well.  In my scenario he's essentially taking Miller's roster spot, so it's a wash anyway.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:31 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

All good points, I just don't care for Frk. Plays a lot like Jurco if you ask me.

HA, I win.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

6 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

takeaways:

I like the bolded.

Not that I think Kovy is likely but he still wouldn't be hard to trade to a contender on a two year deal while retaining salary and getting a decent return.

Hutton is my preferred backup choice too I think, looking at the UFAs. I think he'd push Howard a little and would be solid insurance if he goes down at any point.

Bylsma would be great, hopefully (fix our power play plz?)

I just don't know why Kovalchuk would have any interest in leaving Russia to finally make a return to the NHL, only to sign with a basement team like the Wings... Maybe he hasn't had any access to North American sports news in the past 5+ years, and he still thinks we're an annual Cup contender...

Seriously though, I think we have a better shot at Tavares than we do Kovalchuk. He's at the tail end of his career, and likely wants a legit shot at a Cup. At least with Tavares, he's still fairly young, coming from the Island to Detroit would actually be an upgrade, and he'd be THE guy here, and likely future captain once Zetterberg retires.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're getting either. I think Tavares re-signs in New York and Kovalchuk signs in Vegas, San Jose or LA...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be okay with Kovalchuk as long as it's short term. I'd prefer Vanek over Kovalchuk if it comes down to Kovalchuk at $6M per for 2 years or Vanek at $2.5M for 1 year. I'd also be okay with Frk walking if we get either.

I'd prefer a lower cap hit for Green, but I'd be okay with $6M for 1 year, and flip him at the deadline.

Imagine having Nyquist, Vanek, Green and Howard all on expiring contracts to trade at the deadline. Assuming they all have reasonably good seasons, stay healthy, they'd fetch a pretty solid return for sure.

Backup position is whatever. Give it to McCollum for all I care...

I think it's pretty much a done deal that Bylsma will be an assistant next season. Hopefully he can do something to spark the offense / power-play.

I don't feel the same about the backup goalie. I would like for them to get someone who can maybe stick around as the goaltending is such a weak spot in the near future for this team. I'd almost prefer someone younger like Bernier who we can maybe ink to a 2-year deal since he's shown he can play more than just backup minutes. Otherwise, I could see Holland extending Howard, and I really don't want Howard here after his contract expires... He is the same story every year... plays well to start the season, gets hurt, then comes back and plays poorly the rest of the way. I could maybe see him coming back if it's for 2.5 per on a short-term deal.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Because he sucks, and I told ya so. And I've waited almost an entire year (1 day off) to tell you again...

HA, I win.

Frk is more of an NHLer than Pulkkinen will ever be. Called that one wrong.

4 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I don't feel the same about the backup goalie. I would like for them to get someone who can maybe stick around as the goaltending is such a weak spot in the near future for this team. I'd almost prefer someone younger like Bernier who we can maybe ink to a 2-year deal since he's shown he can play more than just backup minutes. Otherwise, I could see Holland extending Howard, and I really don't want Howard here after his contract expires... He is the same story every year... plays well to start the season, gets hurt, then comes back and plays poorly the rest of the way. I could maybe see him coming back if it's for 2.5 per on a short-term deal.

I'm just not too concerned about the backup goaltender right now. I wouldn't seriously have McCollum as the backup, just illustrating how little I care about that position at the moment. If it's Hutton or Bernier or whoever, great. Doesn't matter to me.

I'm also completely okay with Howard re-signing for a couple years beyond this season (after we trade him at the deadline... lol). I only care about the development of Larsson, Petruzzelli and Fulcher. As long as one of them are capable of stepping in in a few years from now, when we're actually (hopefully) ready to compete, that's all that matters to me with goaltending right now.

57 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I just don't know why Kovalchuk would have any interest in leaving Russia to finally make a return to the NHL, only to sign with a basement team like the Wings... Maybe he hasn't had any access to North American sports news in the past 5+ years, and he still thinks we're an annual Cup contender...

Seriously though, I think we have a better shot at Tavares than we do Kovalchuk. He's at the tail end of his career, and likely wants a legit shot at a Cup. At least with Tavares, he's still fairly young, coming from the Island to Detroit would actually be an upgrade, and he'd be THE guy here, and likely future captain once Zetterberg retires.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're getting either. I think Tavares re-signs in New York and Kovalchuk signs in Vegas, San Jose or LA...

So, we could totally be looking at other players and the only ones mentioned are the only ones the team has let on about, but I hope if we are looking at adding a UFA forward this year, we at least consider options that may actually sign here (outside of Vanek). 

Why not consider the following players as well (on short-term deals):

Rick Nash - 20 to 30 goal scorer
Paul Stastny - 15 to 25 goal scorer and a reliable Center
James Neal - 20 to 30 goal scorer
James van Riemsdyk - 30+ goal scorer
Michael Grabner - 20 to 30 goal scorer and inexpensive

I have to imagine that Neal and van Riemsdyk stay put, but who knows.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm just not too concerned about the backup goaltender right now. I wouldn't seriously have McCollum as the backup, just illustrating how little I care about that position at the moment. If it's Hutton or Bernier or whoever, great. Doesn't matter to me.

I'm also completely okay with Howard re-signing for a couple years beyond this season (after we trade him at the deadline... lol). I only care about the development of Larsson, Petruzzelli and Fulcher. As long as one of them are capable of stepping in in a few years from now, when we're actually (hopefully) ready to compete, that's all that matters to me with goaltending right now.

I'm hoping we, maybe, strike gold with one of these free agent signings like Rybar, too. At least in a backup capacity. It would be nice to have his numbers or someone like him translate to the NHL.

12 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Frk is more of an NHLer than Pulkkinen will ever be. Called that one wrong.

Give it time. They're both useless besides their shot, and Frk will join Pulks outside of the NHL soon enough.