• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, I'm not too excited about the Filppula rumors. I thought that is what Nielsen was for, a middle 6 center. I don't understand the logic in being afraid Z doesn't play out his contract. We have plenty of centers to step into the middle 6 role.

4 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'm excited simply because it'll make my Fil jersey relevant, wooooooooooooooooooo.

But yeah, I don't really see him as a necessary signing, Zetterberg or no Zetterberg.

I honestly don't get the interest. Even if they needed a 2C, why not just bump Nielsen up and have Helm center the 3rd line with Rass rotating in and out? I don't even consider Filppula a 2C anymore, and there are plenty of other forwards to play in the middle 6.

The irony of re-signing the guy that you tried to replace with Weiss, then replaced with Nielsen only to have him be your 3C.

10 minutes ago, kylee said:

We need to sign Filppula so now we can have 2 centers who score like 10 goals each and do almost nothing else. Filppula’s last good season was like 11-12

Who is the center you are referring to? Glendening scored 11 goals as a 4C. Nielsen scored 16 as a 3C with no offensive players on his line. Zetterberg scored 11, but had 45 assists. I actually think our centers were a bright spot this year.

47 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, I'm not too excited about the Filppula rumors. I thought that is what Nielsen was for, a middle 6 center. I don't understand the logic in being afraid Z doesn't play out his contract. We have plenty of centers to step into the middle 6 role.

I dont think you have to worry, Custance reported today that its not looking likely.

5 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Few things:

1)glad to have the site working again.

2) rasmussen to Zadina for the OT winner=The Future.

3) here is my dream (and not so far fetched lineup for next year). 

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
Rasmussen-Larkin-Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen-Zadina
Abby-Helm-Glendening
Frk/Witkowski

Mike Green
Kronwall
Hronek
Daley
Dekeyser 
Faulk
Hicketts/Jensen

Howard
Bernier

Trade: AA, Svech and a 2019 2nd for Faulk.

buyout: Errorson.

That lineup would be very competitive I reckon.  Playoff team for sure.

8 hours ago, kickazz said:

Isn't Rasmussen really good on faceoffs? (when his hand wasn't injured) I think you want him on center over Nielsen and put Nielsen on the Wing. 

Ras was like 55% in the NHL preseason games he played. Much better than Larkin did. 

Also Zadina should be on the first line over Bertuzzi, who should drop down to 3rd line. Zadina basically is a scoring version of Bertuzzi. I:E he goes to the corners and creates space for his centers and then sets himself up for a scoring position.

They have already said they want to start Rasmussen on the wing to ease his defensive responsibilities similar to what they did with Larkin. 

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Who is the center you are referring to? Glendening scored 11 goals as a 4C. Nielsen scored 16 as a 3C with no offensive players on his line. Zetterberg scored 11, but had 45 assists. I actually think our centers were a bright spot this year.

Nielsen. He’s brought absolutely nothing to this team we couldn’t live without let alone sign to a 6 year contract 

Well with the three signings, there goes $11.3M of our cap.

I think $3M was too much for Vanek.

So with Franzen's $3.9M We have roughly $14M left. Is that enough to sign Larkin, Mantha, AA, and promote Ras, Hronek and possibly Zadina?

Please NO Filppula.

29 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well with the three signings, there goes $11.3M of our cap.

I think $3M was too much for Vanek.

So with Franzen's $3.9M We have roughly $14M left. Is that enough to sign Larkin, Mantha, AA, and promote Ras, Hronek and possibly Zadina?

Please NO Filppula.

I have to think a trade is coming. Remember to, Frk can be send down and I believe with full cap relief.  

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm thinking Zadina and Svechnikov will be sent to GR... Rasmussen will make the team as 3rd line wing. Hronek will also start in GR and Hicketts will be the 6th/7th defenseman...

This is my feeling and concern as well. If everything points to Zadina being ready, which so far that seems to be what most people think, he should be on the team. If he's not because "there's no room and that's just how the numbers work out sometimes", I'll be pretty annoyed.

Yeah, the one good thing (or bad thing, depending on how you look at it) is that Zadina can play in Grand Rapids. I'd be okay with him starting down there, and assuming Svechnikov is down there as well, they could be a dangerous duo in the American League. I think Rasmussen is all but guaranteed a spot in Detroit, if for no other reason, the other two have options in GR, and he would have to be sent back to juniors.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, the one good thing (or bad thing, depending on how you look at it) is that Zadina can play in Grand Rapids. I'd be okay with him starting down there, and assuming Svechnikov is down there as well, they could be a dangerous duo in the American League. I think Rasmussen is all but guaranteed a spot in Detroit, if for no other reason, the other two have options in GR, and he would have to be sent back to juniors.

Explain how Zadina can play in GR? 

I love AA, but I'm hoping for a deal for a defenseman sometime this summer.

I wonder what the price for Trouba would be. Honestly we may be able to afford to give up a 2020 1st in a package. We basically got three top 15 players this draft and Berggren seems like he may have been a steal in the 2nd. If we're a lottery team next June, we'll get yet another high end talent, so if giving up one 1st rounder in a package to get someone like Trouba, we probably won't take any steps backwards. 

I know Holland probably took his phone off the hook for the day, but I still would like to give Duclair a shot for a season or two. Seems like a low risk high reward situation.

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Explain how Zadina can play in GR? 

I think he may have meant that Zadina is eligible to play in GR. Is he?

This is what I see the lines looking like, barring any trades...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Athanasiou - Nielsen - Vanek

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Frk / Witkowski

(Zadina, Svechnikov, Turgeon, Smith in GR)

Ericsson - Daley

DeKeyser - Green

Kronwall - Jensen

Hicketts

(Hronek, Cholowski in GR)

Howard

Bernier

12 hours ago, kylee said:

Nielsen. He’s brought absolutely nothing to this team we couldn’t live without let alone sign to a 6 year contract 

Not his fault he's stuck on the 3rd line without top 6 wingers. We'll see how he does centering Vanek and Rass this season. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with his increased offensive production this year. Besides having someone like Nielsen as a 3C is a luxury. There are quite a few young forwards coming up in the next few seasons: Zadina, Rass, Svech, plus you still have young guys in Bert, Mantha, and AA. Having guys like Larkin, Z, and Nielsen down the middle will be a huge boost to their development as forwards. All 3 centers play a solid 2 way game, are steady, and think the game very well. What many of you see as a waste of money, I see as a huge advantage for the kids to learn from. Overpaid or not, we aren't going after expensive free agents, and we are still able to re-sign core building blocks, so I don't see spending money on players that will benefit the youth movement as a a bad thing.

14 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not his fault he's stuck on the 3rd line without top 6 wingers. We'll see how he does centering Vanek and Rass this season. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with his increased offensive production this year. Besides having someone like Nielsen as a 3C is a luxury. There are quite a few young forwards coming up in the next few seasons: Zadina, Rass, Svech, plus you still have young guys in Bert, Mantha, and AA. Having guys like Larkin, Z, and Nielsen down the middle will be a huge boost to their development as forwards. All 3 centers play a solid 2 way game, are steady, and think the game very well. What many of you see as a waste of money, I see as a huge advantage for the kids to learn from. Overpaid or not, we aren't going after expensive free agents, and we are still able to re-sign core building blocks, so I don't see spending money on players that will benefit the youth movement as a a bad thing.

yah

Nielsen's long been one of my favorite players. It bums me out that usage, linemates, lack of scoring depth on the roster have all been working against him in his time with the Wings. Last year he was used in a shutdown role, had to lug around Helm and Abby. And even when he's given scoring wingers -- like, say, AA and Vanek -- it's often this kind of Frankenstein's monster where he has to cover for the wingers' defensive shortcomings while also trying to manufacture offense. There's been a lot of talk about how he has a preference for playing with North-South wingers, but most of our best wingers don't really play that kind of game. So I'm very eager to see what he can do with a guy like Rasmussen.

Fun fact: Rasmussen is a Danish name.

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

yah

Nielsen's long been one of my favorite players. It bums me out that usage, linemates, lack of scoring depth on the roster have all been working against him in his time with the Wings. Last year he was used in a shutdown role, had to lug around Helm and Abby. And even when he's given scoring wingers -- like, say, AA and Vanek -- it's often this kind of Frankenstein's monster where he has to cover for the wingers' defensive shortcomings while also trying to manufacture offense. There's been a lot of talk about how he has a preference for playing with North-South wingers, but most of our best wingers don't really play that kind of game. So I'm very eager to see what he can do with a guy like Rasmussen.

Fun fact: Rasmussen is a Danish name.

so is Rasmussen actually a lock to make the roster?

Just now, kylee said:

so is Rasmussen actually a lock to make the roster?

That's my sense. His monster WHL postseason (proof he's got nothing left to learn at that level) + his size and strength + his utility as a net-front PP guy = Holland and Blashill want him on the team.

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Abdelkader  Larkin  Mantha
Nyquist  Zetterberg  Zadina
Rasmussen  Nielsen  Vanek
Bertuzzi  Athanasiou  Helm

That's a pretty good forward group.

Glendening is not going on bench