• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Detroit Reportedly in the Mix for Top College UFA Defenseman Daniel Brickley

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Posted about this in the official offseason thread, figured I might as well make a thread about it.

Seems like the Wings are always a finalist for coveted players, despite being bad. Not bad for a team that noone wants to play for supposedly.

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Seems like the Wings are always a finalist for coveted players, despite being bad. Not bad for a team that noone wants to play for supposedly.

I'm hoping we're now bad enough that we can finally start winning some of these players over to our side. Methinks Holland has, historically, been reluctant to promise these college UFAs roster spots and big roles, but I'm pretty confident that he'd be fine with Brickley immediately sliding into our top four, given the sorry state of our blue line.

I believe that Detroit, Buffalo, Minnesota, Colorado and New York Rangers were the 5 finalist on his list. And TSN just said that Buffalo is out and he wont sign with no Canadian team for what it's worth.

19 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

We won't get him.  Schultz part 2.

From what i read Holland is making a major pitch for Brickley, Sounds like he's promising him some big minutes here. Might be the reason why he's not calling anyone up for Green yet. 

8 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

How do you feel about this guy, kr? I don't know much about him and have done minimal research, but I do value your opinion. If we were to get him, what should we expect?

No idea. I've never seen him play and haven't heard much about him until the past few weeks. I'd expect mid pairing defenseman, but that's just a hunch based on his college numbers over the past few years, and the fact that he'll be 23 years old (this weekend). Keep in mind though, Butcher was the big college free agent last summer and I didn't think he'd be anything more than a bottom pair defenseman (again, just based on numbers), so I was wrong there. I have no idea what Brickley will be at the NHL level. I wouldn't mind signing him, trading / waiving Ouellet, and let Brickley and Hicketts battle for a spot in training camp.

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Dekeyser isn't a bust. He's a 2nd pair guy. He just struggles w/o the right D partner or if he's put in the wrong roles.

He's a beta male.  He's 6'3 and probably doesn't crack 200 lbs.  Doesn't play physical whatsoever.  His offensive numbers are a complete joke.  He'd be lucky to be a 3rd pairing guy with his numbers on most NHL teams.  

I've never seen the kid play but his offensive number for the NCAA are pretty good and he was doing it early in his college career too, so it's not like he's just benefiting from being an upper classman.  One scouting report said his speed was good but not great, which is a concern, but I'll temper that criticism with the knowledge that pretty much every player who isn't blazing fast is criticized for their speed so it's hard to tell if it's a legitimate criticism. 

8 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

A 2nd pair D they got without using a draft pick or trading for?

I think he mean an ineffective ***** who is currently putting up the same points per game as Jonathan Ericsson. 

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

Most players would be less than effective under this moron coach

Agreed, but that belies the point that both Ericsson and Dekeyser play for the same moron coach, so the coaching factor is a wash.  Nevertheless, I agree with you overall premise.  Dekeyser is absolutely a 2nd pair defenseman on the 5th worst team in the league.  He's Marc Staal or Dan Girardi...but without the track record of offensive success lol. 

In short...he's pretty mediocre.  Maybe worse than that.

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

A 2nd pair D they got without using a draft pick or trading for?

This. Ericsson is a 7th round draft pick who is a 4/5 defenseman. DeKeyser is an undrafted free agent who CAN be a 2nd pair guy who is struggling under less than stellar coaching. What is there to complain about here?

18 hours ago, kickazz said:

$5 million

Green made just a million more and does much better. Under the same coach.

Green is a much better defenseman. A good offensive 2nd pair D. Dekeyser may be at the low end for 2nd pair D talent-wise currently, but 5 mil or 6, that's what I would expect considering what top pair guys make now. 

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Green is a much better defenseman. A good offensive 2nd pair D. Dekeyser may be at the low end for 2nd pair D talent-wise currently, but 5 mil or 6, that's what I would expect considering what top pair guys make now. 

Top pair defensemen generally don't make much more than DeKeyser. It's the elite number one guys that get paid significantly more. DeKeyser is being paid like a top pair guy (43rd highest paid) and shouldn't be close to that. Granted, when he received that contract, most, if not everyone thought he was going to grown into it. He hasn't, he's only regressed since... This is another player I'd be heavily shopping, but like Nielsen, I don't see it happening...