• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Holland and Blashill expected to return

Rate this topic

The Wings are like the problem drinker

They have recognized their faults  - trading away assets, big term contracts

They have apologized for their faults - LCA as a feel good antonement

They  know they need help to rebuild themselves-trading Tater, Tiddlywinky, letting the kids play more

They need support during recovery - Keeping Blash and Holland one more year for better picks

After that sponsorship of a year or so they should be able to stand on their own - 2+ high draft picks, contracts off books, young guns stepping into their prime, new coach, mgmt etc etc

22 hours ago, kjw25 said:

I can understand signing Holland, although I don't agree its the right move. However, there is absolutely no way Blashill should be anything but fired. We have 1 win in our last 15 games. Players continue to regress under Blashill. 

That being said, one good draft year is not going to do it. The team will again be awful next year which will in turn lead to a high pick. So for that sense, I am actually happy Blashill is coming back. 

I can add nothing to this, except I might talk to my doctor about taking antidepressants for next season...

14 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think Blashill's voice has reached peak freshness yet.

Dude. If you keep brewing the same coffee grounds over and over again in the percolator (sic) ...

...It does not get better.  That being said:  IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR! (sic)

When it comes to if the Ilitch family cares about the Tigers more than the Wings it's hard to say.

I've often in the pass felt the Mr.I tossed the keys to Holland and has put more attention into the Tigers. All while letting Holland run the Red Wings without a worry. I felt this pretty much happen after M.I put in real effort to get one of Suter or Parise. After this he just lost his steam, and honestly just got old. Which I don't really fault him for.

About that time Mr.I was going all out with the Tigers, going after players like Prince Fielder who at the time was one of the best hitters in MLB. Along with some other huge signings over the years, all while letting Holland kick tiers. I think Mr.I just got too old too put the same effort into the Wings and Tigers. So he picked the Tigers. I think he still loved the Wings but he wanted that World Series title more. Tigers had two solid runs at it, but failed in the end.

Oddly, the Ilitch faimly have let Al Avila (Tigers GM) more or less sell off vets and go full rebuild. Even trading JV for 3 prospects. I gotta wonder if Verlander is still a Tiger, if M.I is still alive. The Tigers right now are doing what most people around here want the Wings to do. Go full rebuild and tank it from day one. Trade everything even icon vets and let the kids play. Hard to say which plan will work in the end, being that MLB and NHL are too different beasts.

I think in the end M.I proved he cared a great deal for the Wings. LCA has to be some kind of proof of that. 

I didn't watch one game this year and the same until at the very least Blashill is fired. I believe a GM change would be helpful too but I will give a temporary pass on keeping Holland but Blashill is garbage and has to go... I think 3 seasons of driving in reverse is enough. Look at what Gallant is doing in LV. I believe a real coach would make this same team hard to play against. Blashill stinks but the odour coming from Holland these days isnt much better.

17 hours ago, xault said:

When it comes to if the Ilitch family cares about the Tigers more than the Wings it's hard to say.

I've often in the pass felt the Mr.I tossed the keys to Holland and has put more attention into the Tigers. All while letting Holland run the Red Wings without a worry. I felt this pretty much happen after M.I put in real effort to get one of Suter or Parise. After this he just lost his steam, and honestly just got old. Which I don't really fault him for.

About that time Mr.I was going all out with the Tigers, going after players like Prince Fielder who at the time was one of the best hitters in MLB. Along with some other huge signings over the years, all while letting Holland kick tiers. I think Mr.I just got too old too put the same effort into the Wings and Tigers. So he picked the Tigers. I think he still loved the Wings but he wanted that World Series title more. Tigers had two solid runs at it, but failed in the end.

Oddly, the Ilitch faimly have let Al Avila (Tigers GM) more or less sell off vets and go full rebuild. Even trading JV for 3 prospects. I gotta wonder if Verlander is still a Tiger, if M.I is still alive. The Tigers right now are doing what most people around here want the Wings to do. Go full rebuild and tank it from day one. Trade everything even icon vets and let the kids play. Hard to say which plan will work in the end, being that MLB and NHL are too different beasts.

I think in the end M.I proved he cared a great deal for the Wings. LCA has to be some kind of proof of that. 

Pure speculation. 

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Holland and Blashill being brought back again is pretty good evidence.  There's not much accountability right now.  

That's not evidence. 

First off, you have no idea what the relationship between Holland and Illitch is. If Holland is carrying out the plan given to him by Illitch, why would Illitch fire him for doing what he was told to do. I have a boss, and sometimes my boss has me do things I don't agree with. If I follow through on a plan that I knew would fail because my boss asked me to, should I be fired because it was a bad plan? Thank about it.

I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the case because quite frankly, I dont know what is said behind closed doors, but I am also not the person making definitive statements. You are.

Secondly, define accountability? In fandom, it seem accountability is solely defined by being a coach or GM being fired. Maybe Holland was doing his thing, Illitch had a talk with him and Holland changed his approach. There are many more layers to accountability then simply firing someone.

My point, is there is nothing to suggest that Illitch doesn't care about the Wings and is solely focused on the Tigers. You want to throw it out there as a theory, cool. To say it as fact, you're wrong because you're guessing.  

It's not logical to me for an owner of a team to not care about the team he owns.

My guts tells me that Illtich (Mike and Chris), Holland, JD etc. all had a game plan of keeping the streak alive. Once that ended, we have pretty much been in re-build mode. Other then Daley, every single move we have made has been a re-build style move. 

There's a difference between being a "hands off" owner and not caring. Just because the Illitches don't appear to be micromanaging the team, doesn't make them indifferent. I would prefer this approach over a Jerry Jones or a George Steinbrenner or Al Davis. The junior Illitches may be less involved than their father was, but that doesn't mean they aren't. I doubt that anyone with millions of dollars to lose doesn't give a Kardashian butt about their business investments. Besides, if Blashill is fired, Holland would do it. If Holland is fired, Devellano would do it. I doubt the Illitches would even make an appearance for such an announcement. Just be glad we don't have a Melnyk or a Wirtz as owners.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Holland looks like a stupid man.

giphy.gif

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

42 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

There's a difference between being a "hands off" owner and not caring. Just because the Illitches don't appear to be micromanaging the team, doesn't make them indifferent. I would prefer this approach over a Jerry Jones or a George Steinbrenner or Al Davis. The junior Illitches may be less involved than their father was, but that doesn't mean they aren't. I doubt that anyone with millions of dollars to lose doesn't give a Kardashian butt about their business investments. Besides, if Blashill is fired, Holland would do it. If Holland is fired, Devellano would do it. I doubt the Illitches would even make an appearance for such an announcement. Just be glad we don't have a Melnyk or a Wirtz as owners.

giphy.gif

Exactly.

IMO the way it works, is your owner, president, GM, and the rest of the inner circle at some point have a meeting. At that point, a discussion is had where everyone gives their views, and a direction is laid out, by the owner. The direction can pretty much be 1 of 4 things.

Go for a Cup, Make the Playoffs, Re-Build, Tank Job.

Then its the GM's job to run with that vision. 

I just can't see any world where an owner says "meh, I dont care, do your thing". Its just not realistic.

I'm sure the contracts themselves were Holland, but the direction had to have been given to him. This is why Illitch likely wants to keep Holland, because why would an owner fire a GM for doing what he is told.

From what I read, Al Davis was the worst. There are stories that he used to call the coach during games and force him to call a Hail Mary because he loved the long bomb. That's the worst type of owner, well that or the cheap owner that ONLY cares about money.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

Exactly.

IMO the way it works, is your owner, president, GM, and the rest of the inner circle at some point have a meeting. At that point, a discussion is had where everyone gives their views, and a direction is laid out, by the owner. The direction can pretty much be 1 of 4 things.

Go for a Cup, Make the Playoffs, Re-Build, Tank Job.

Then its the GM's job to run with that vision. 

I just can't see any world where an owner says "meh, I dont care, do your thing". Its just not realistic.

I'm sure the contracts themselves were Holland, but the direction had to have been given to him. This is why Illitch likely wants to keep Holland, because why would an owner fire a GM for doing what he is told.

From what I read, Al Davis was the worst. There are stories that he used to call the coach during games and force him to call a Hail Mary because he loved the long bomb. That's the worst type of owner, well that or the cheap owner that ONLY cares about money.

This is exactly why I don't hate Bettman either. And why he still has a job.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

This is exactly why I don't hate Bettman either. And why he still has a job.

Sometimes fans don't get it and that is a perfect example.

They don't like Bettman and don't understand how he has a job, well its because he's doing what he is told to do. People like to have simple scapegoats though. Blaming Holland for everything is easy.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Sometimes fans don't get it and that is a perfect example.

They don't like Bettman and don't understand how he has a job, well its because he's doing what he is told to do. People like to have simple scapegoats though. Blaming Holland for everything is easy.

And Blashill. Think of this team as a puzzle of suck. Holland and Blashill are just corner pieces.

On 29/03/2018 at 11:19 PM, xault said:

At that time the Tigers were a WS calibre team. They were stacked themselves. The bullpen was mad with JV leading, Max Scherzer, then some younger studs. I mean... as an owner he would have been mad not to focus on getting them a win. Now that time has passed, they're going full rebuild. I don't think it proves he concentrated on the Tigers over the Wings any more that saying when the Wings had Yzerman and Fedorov and other generational talents he concentrated on them more than the Tigers. Basically if there's not much to work with, focus on where there is

22 minutes ago, brett said:

Cmon I'd like to be a playoff team next year. Guess i won't bother watching unless dahlin

Even with Dahlin, we're probably not a playoff team next year.

Can't seem to find it right now, but I remember reading a Holland quote a few weeks ago, something to the effect of "The team will be changing, but I'm not really looking at next year. I'm more focused on 2019, 2020." I believe he also recently said the organization wants players who can help us four or five years from now -- the implication being that while everyone wants a really quick turnaround, The Powers That Be are pretty much treating this as an actual, honest-to-God rebuild. Not a scorched earth teardown, but also not a we'll-be-back-in-a-year "reload."

I'm tired of Holland, but maybe we're starting to see a Holland -- or an ownership-Holland dynamic -- that we haven't seen before. Dunno if that *excites* me, but it does give me some hope.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Even with Dahlin, we're probably not a playoff team next year.

Can't seem to find it right now, but I remember reading a Holland quote a few weeks ago, something to the effect of "The team will be changing, but I'm not really looking at next year. I'm more focused on 2019, 2020." I believe he also recently said the organization wants players who can help us four or five years from now -- the implication being that while everyone wants a really quick turnaround, The Powers That Be are pretty much treating this as an actual, honest-to-God rebuild. Not a scorched earth teardown, but also not a we'll-be-back-in-a-year "reload."

I'm tired of Holland, but maybe we're starting to see a Holland -- or an ownership-Holland dynamic -- that we haven't seen before. Dunno if that *excites* me, but it does give me some hope.

It just buys Holland another 3-4 years of incompetence (and bad contracts). I firmly believe we are 2-3 years away, after Holland is let go.