• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

GDT: Loser point and oh ya, Howard is garbage

Rate this topic

56 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

Careful what you wish for. Who are you putting in net if you give Howard away?  There are better goalies for sure but there are worse ones also.  As of now that leaves us with Coreau and McCallum.  We can scour the free agent market like Philly, Calgary, and the Leafs have been doing for years.  I'm sure there are other teams as well.  Ask them how well that is going for them.

Howard isn't going anywhere until at least next seasons deadline. I sure hope Coreau isn't with the Wings come opening night. They have to pick up a journeyman backup this summer. If not, i'd be open to Machovsky getting a shot at the job, but he needs a contract too.

Next offseason, theres a good list of UFA goalies that can be had. The ones that don't get re-signed first anyways, like Bobrovsky and Rinne surely will.

I'm not a huge Howard fan, but he definitely doesn't "suck". I'd like to trade him at next year's deadline, if the return is worth it, but I'd be open to re-signing him again next offseason as well. This team is rebuilding. We don't need a goaltender that will steal games and carry us, we just need a stop gap for a couple years before one of Larsson or Petruzzelli (hopefully) emerges as the next starter. Howard is a solid, but not spectacular goaltender, and a good veteran locker room guy. If we sign another veteran in free agency, I'd be okay with that as well, but don't act like bringing Howard back would be some monumental mistake... It wouldn't.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not a huge Howard fan, but he definitely doesn't "suck". I'd like to trade him at next year's deadline, if the return is worth it, but I'd be open to re-signing him again next offseason as well. This team is rebuilding. We don't need a goaltender that will steal games and carry us, we just need a stop gap for a couple years before one of Larsson or Petruzzelli (hopefully) emerges as the next starter. Howard is a solid, but not spectacular goaltender, and a good veteran locker room guy. If we sign another veteran in free agency, I'd be okay with that as well, but don't act like bringing Howard back would be some monumental mistake... It wouldn't.

It would at his current cap hit, however

6 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

It would at his current cap hit, however

Ideally I'd like him at a lesser cap hit, sure. But really, what do we need the cap space for right now? I'd bring Howard back at a similar cap hit (maybe a little less) for another 2-3 years. Who else will be available as a 2-3 year stop gap at a lesser price? Talbot? Mason? Elliott? Neuvirth? Sure, I'd consider any, but they would all likely cost around the same, maybe slightly less, but would also be a lateral move at best. Seems like making a change, just for the sake of making a change. I'm okay with moving on from Howard, but it's not a "must" like so many make it seem.

Meh, I'm done channeling the old LeftWinger. I hope I could create some laughs! Honestly, you know I've never been a Howard fan and am glad he is helping us tank. I don't care who's in net now, just don't win anymore or get loser points! I hope he's not back next year, especially if we get Dahlin and hit the lottery again with JT. If those two happen we need to be actively looking for some sort of upgrade. A goalie that can take us on a playoff run. Jimmy can't, that's been proven. If you can't trade him in the summer, start the season and be looking to acquire one. Who? Dunno...but if Jimmy does stay to finish his contract, he cannot be brought back to be our starter, if he re-signs it's to be a backup and at a backup salary. $1M.

1 hour ago, HoweFan said:

So when McCollum was brought up last game to be the backup did we lose that 7th round pick or did he have to appear in a game?

Has to start one game I believe...

I haven’t been paying much attention to the Wings games lately, but was he really called up? Haha I didn’t think losing that 7th would even come close to happening. Bad times in Detroit for sure. Why not callup Machovsky and save the 7th if he needs to play? Leave McCollum in GR.

Edited by chaps80

20 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Ideally I'd like him at a lesser cap hit, sure. But really, what do we need the cap space for right now? I'd bring Howard back at a similar cap hit (maybe a little less) for another 2-3 years. Who else will be available as a 2-3 year stop gap at a lesser price? Talbot? Mason? Elliott? Neuvirth? Sure, I'd consider any, but they would all likely cost around the same, maybe slightly less, but would also be a lateral move at best. Seems like making a change, just for the sake of making a change. I'm okay with moving on from Howard, but it's not a "must" like so many make it seem.

There is really no reason to overpay for Howard just because they can. Sure we don't need the cap space right this second, but we will at some point. The team should be shedding cap over the next two to three years. A goalie in the interim can be had for cheaper than what we pay Howard right now. 

7 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

There is really no reason to overpay for Howard just because they can. Sure we don't need the cap space right this second, but we will at some point. The team should be shedding cap over the next two to three years. A goalie in the interim can be had for cheaper than what we pay Howard right now. 

I don't disagree. I'm not saying we should re-sign Howard at his current cap hit, I just don't think it would be detrimental if we did on a short term contract. The most we'd save by signing a UFA goalie would be around $1M. If we can do that, sure. For me though, a bigger priority would be to get rid of some of the actual bad contracts, namely Nielsen.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:37 AM, krsmith17 said:

On 4/5/2018 at 6:49 AM, krsmith17 said:

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't disagree. I'm not saying we should re-sign Howard at his current cap hit, I just don't think it would be detrimental if we did on a short term contract. The most we'd save by signing a UFA goalie would be around $1M. If we can do that, sure. For me though, a bigger priority would be to get rid of some of the actual bad contracts, namely Nielsen.

:clap:

On 4/5/2018 at 6:51 AM, LeftWinger said:

Meh, I'm done channeling the old LeftWinger. I hope I could create some laughs! Honestly, you know I've never been a Howard fan and am glad he is helping us tank. I don't care who's in net now, just don't win anymore or get loser points! I hope he's not back next year, especially if we get Dahlin and hit the lottery again with JT. If those two happen we need to be actively looking for some sort of upgrade. A goalie that can take us on a playoff run. Jimmy can't, that's been proven. If you can't trade him in the summer, start the season and be looking to acquire one. Who? Dunno...but if Jimmy does stay to finish his contract, he cannot be brought back to be our starter, if he re-signs it's to be a backup and at a backup salary. $1M.

You're tripping over your own feet again

You want this team to lose, but get mad when Howard plays horrible.

You want an upgrade over Howard, but advocate signing guys like Halak.

Glad we're done channeling the old Leftwinger, let me know when the new guy gets here. It's hard to take your opinions seriously on the issue when those opinions are contradictory.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Glad we're done channeling the old Leftwinger, let me know when the new guy gets here. It's hard to take your opinions seriously on the issue when those opinions are contradictory.

Truth.

With the contract the Yotes locked Raanta up to today, Howard shouldn't make anything close to what he does now, or even what Raanta makes for that matter. If Holland has to sign veteran goalies on one or two year deals until someone from within is ready for the job, then so be it. 

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No, I am all for tanking and with a goalie that is not as good or equal to Howard, I just don't want to pay a goalie $5.2M to tank. We can tank better with less money....no tripping over feet here, walking tall!

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

No, I am all for tanking and with a goalie that is not as good or equal to Howard, I just don't want to pay a goalie $5.2M to tank. We can tank better with less money....no tripping over feet here, walking tall!

The team is not going to go into next season trying to lose in purpose. This is what you need to realize. The youth on this roster aren't gonna develop getting scored on 5 or 6 times every game. They develop by playing competitive hockey. Being competitive = confidence.  

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Then you brought up looking for an upgrade over Howard why exactly?

Howard is slightly overpaid, I agree there. But I think Krsmith made some very good points in regards to pivoting to a less paid slightly worse goalie. That is, it feels like a move for the sake of a move. A couple million dollar savings in net for a worse product isn't going to make or break us. And you're moving out a well liked team veteran who we will probably need to be a mentor to Larsson or another goalie in the near future. For team culture sake I don't like the move. The gains to me aren't worth it.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Then you brought up looking for an upgrade over Howard why exactly?

Howard is slightly overpaid, I agree there. But I think Krsmith made some very good points in regards to pivoting to a less paid slightly worse goalie. That is, it feels like a move for the sake of a move. A couple million dollar savings in net for a worse product isn't going to make or break us. And you're moving out a well liked team veteran who we will probably need to be a mentor to Larsson or another goalie in the near future. For team culture sake I don't like the move. The gains to me aren't worth it.

I said we can go with Halak and Coreau and tank as well, and put out less money. I said IF we are able to draft Dahlin and get JT then we go with who we can and actively start looking to upgrade. Go with who we can until we find one. I said IF we are able to get Dahlin and JT, then I would like to see us actively look for a goalie to take us into the playoffs. Because if we landed those two, I am not sure I'd want to tank it again. I like the high picks, but would much rather see us win and be back in the playoffs!  I didn't say Halak was that much better, he'd just be cheaper.  Again, I don't mind the tank (especially if we don't get Dahlin and or JT) BUT I rather not pay our goalie $5.2M to do so...

I said we can go with Halak and Coreau and tank as well, and put out less money. I said IF we are able to draft Dahlin and get JT then we go with who we can and actively start looking to upgrade. Go with who we can until we find one. I said IF we are able to get Dahlin and JT, then I would like to see us actively look for a goalie to take us into the playoffs. Because if we landed those two, I am not sure I'd want to tank it again. I like the high picks, but would much rather see us win and be back in the playoffs!  I didn't say Halak was that much better, he'd just be cheaper.  Again, I don't mind the tank (especially if we don't get Dahlin and or JT) BUT I rather not pay our goalie $5.2M to do so...

They. Aren't. Purposefully. Tanking.

Ok, re-stated:

"If we're going to SUCK, I'd rather not SUCK while paying a goalie $5.2M to SUCK, we can SUCK just as good (or bad) with cheaper goalies."

Once again, the goal isn't for the team to suck next season. They will be as competitive as they can be. Downgrading goaltending does not make any sense. Howard's cap hit doesn't hurt the team next season. It's one year. 

But we are going to suck, especially with Howard in net. Halak is no worse and would cost a lot less. We could use Jimmy's cap, especially if we land JT. Our RFA's are going to cost us more than most of us think. So ya, the more cap room the better.

38 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

But we are going to suck, especially with Howard in net. Halak is no worse and would cost a lot less. We could use Jimmy's cap, especially if we land JT. Our RFA's are going to cost us more than most of us think. So ya, the more cap room the better.

Howards current cap is no longer an issue after next season. It in no way hurts the team next season, despite what's going on in your fantasy land. 

43 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Your making moutains out of mole hills. If your so concerned about cap space there are much better deals involving different players you should be advocating before this one.