• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Our draft position

Rate this topic

It looks like we are drafting sixth at this point disregarding the lottery. It looks like we have the possibility of passing the Hawks and Oilers. We might tie the Islanders.  It makes no sense to pass these teams.  I'm not a fan of tanking but drafting ninth instead of sixth is ludicrous.  Doesn't it make sense to sit some guys and call up prospects for the last two games

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2017/league

Can't pass the Islanders, as they'd win the ROW tiebreaker no matter what.

The Blackhawks won tonight, so now we can't pass them either, because they'd win the ROW tiebreaker no matter what.

If the Oilers get two more points, we won't be able to pass them, because they'd win the ROW tiebreaker no matter what.

So, we can finish 29th / 3rd-worst, 28th / 4th-worst, 27th / 5th-worst, 26th / 6th-worst (our current position), or 25th / 7th-worst (the Oilers' current position). (This, of course, doesn't factor in the potential 1-3-position slide in the final lottery order.)

We're currently three points away from the 29th / 3rd-worst Habs. They have two games left: one against us and one against the Leafs.

We're currently three points away from the 28th / 4th-worst Coyotes. They have two games left: Canucks and Ducks.

We're currently two points away from the 27th / 5th-worst Canucks, and they'd win the ROW tiebreaker no matter what. They have two games left: Coyotes and Oilers.

Should be an interesting finish.

Edited by Dabura

Well, as of today we are 5th, after tomorrow's games, we can finish 4, 5 or 6. We need to lose, Montreal needs to win for us to move up to 4. If we win and Vancouver loses, we're 6th. If we all win, we stay 5th. I think we look good at 5. I just hope we don't drop in the lottery results. 5 Looks like a VERY solid NHL player as long as Holland stays within the ranked players and doesn't pull a Joe Murphy over Jimmy Carson!

29 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, as of today we are 5th, after tomorrow's games, we can finish 4, 5 or 6. We need to lose, Montreal needs to win for us to move up to 4. If we win and Vancouver loses, we're 6th. If we all win, we stay 5th. I think we look good at 5. I just hope we don't drop in the lottery results. 5 Looks like a VERY solid NHL player as long as Holland stays within the ranked players and doesn't pull a Joe Murphy over Jimmy Carson!

We could also finish third last if we get a perfect storm in the three applicable games

51 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd rather have had Brian Leetch.  

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

We could also finish third last if we get a perfect storm in the three applicable games

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, you're right! Arizona has us in ROW's! Bonus!

We need to lose our last game, Van and ARI to win and for MTL to pick up at least a point.

33 minutes ago, e_prime said:

We need to lose our last game, Van and ARI to win and for MTL to pick up at least a point.

If we lose, I don't think we need Vancouver to lose.  The rest of it, yeah.

2 hours ago, barabbas16 said:

If we lose, I don't think we need Vancouver to lose.  The rest of it, yeah.

Yep. We're tied with VAN in points and we can't catch them in the ROW department. Nor can we catch MTL or ARI in the ROW department.

Wings regulation loss + ARI win of any kind + MTL OT/SO loss or win of any kind = Wings finish 29th / 3rd-worst, first pick lands somewhere in the 1st-6th overall range.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If Mrazek wins tonight our 4th becomes a 3rd?

They pay tomorrow afternoon, hosting the Rangers. All they need is a point to clinch a postseason berth and turn that 4th into a 3rd. Brain Elliott's starting, but Mrazek's already won the number of games he needed to win for the 4th->3rd upgrade.

One point gained by the Flyers or one point lost by the Panthers and the 4th becomes a 3rd. Florida play the Sabres at home tomorrow, and the Bruins in Boston on Sunday. I really hope the Flyers beat the Rangers tomorrow though, so we don't have to worry about the last game on Sunday (assuming Florida beat Buffalo)...

16 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Remember when we used to talk about wins and losses in regards to who our first round opponent would be? Good times.

Of course, but I also do remember that for the last few years it's been us talking about who will that opponent be in the first round that bounces us.  Not to say that there isn't always a chance once you get in, but right now -- I'm focusing on our chances for a top pick and for other teams to make our conditional picks even better.

Am I right in assuming the best we can finish draft wise is 5th, with a Canucks win tonight? I only looked briefly, but right now it looks like a real shame that we squeezed a point out of that Isles game. From my point of view it was worst case scenario, I would've rather we just won the game.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero
Grammar

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Am I right in assuming the best we can finish draft wise is 5th, with a Canucks win tonight? I only looked briefly, but right now it looks like a real shame that we squeezed a point out of that Isles game. From my point of view it was worst case scenario, I would've rather we just won the game.

Lowest we can finish now is 5th-worst, with a Canucks OT/SO loss or win of any kind.

What amazes me is that three teams in our division are going to finish lower than us.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Lowest we can finish now is 5th-worst, with a Canucks OT/SO loss or win of any kind.

What amazes me is that three teams in our division are going to finish lower than us.

Ya, so instead of possibly having Dahlin, we may have to face him 8 times a year!