• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Update: At Least 14 dead in Humboldt Broncos In Accident (SJHL)

Rate this topic

Heard about this earlier tonight. Sad tragedy. It really puts forth a great argument for the use of seatbelts in buses. There are reasons why the MTO believes they aren’t needed or even somewhat dangerous to have in them, but I don’t buy it. Seems ridiculous in this day and age of strict transportation laws. If a bus gets hit hard enough by a semi that it flips, who knows where those people will end up or what will happen to them, like last nights injuries and deaths. At least strapped in their seats, there’s a greater chance of staying conscious and uninjured or at the very least, surviving. 

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Heard about this earlier tonight. Sad tragedy. It really puts forth a great argument for the use of seatbelts in buses. There are reasons why the MTO believes they aren’t needed or even somewhat dangerous to have in them, but I don’t buy it. Seems ridiculous in this day and age of strict transportation laws. If a bus gets hit hard enough by a semi that it flips, who knows where those people will end up or what will happen to them, like last nights injuries and deaths. At least strapped in their seats, there’s a greater chance of staying conscious and uninjured or at the very least, surviving. 

I was thinking about this last year when I was at the Denver airport on a shuttle bus with my 3 year old, and the bus had to have been going 50-60 miles and hour.  In my car my toddler is buckled in a secure car seat but at the same speed on a bus he’s sitting on my lap with no protection at all.  I started looking at the airport logistics closer after that and now avoid any situation where we need to be transported in that manner.

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed! Here is an older article, but it touches base on some reasons they aren't mandatory.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/03/buckle_up_if_you_can.html

The Congressional Research Service estimates that installing belts on school buses would cost between $8,000 and $15,000 for every bus, depending on size, spacing, and various retrofitting costs. Additionally, a cost-benefit analysis by the University of Alabama calculated that the cost of saving a life by requiring safety belt laws—between $32 million and $38 million per "equivalent life saved"—would outweigh the benefits. (The "value of a statistical life" is $6,443,964 in 2010 dollars, according to the Department of Transportation.)

So, the cost of retro-fitting buses and/or adding to new buses outweighs the cost of a life? Tell that to the parents of one of these these kids!

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

That was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Why does this always seem to happen to hockey players?

Unfortunately the number of deaths has risen to 15, including the Head Coach, Team Captain, and Radio Announcer.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/07/15-dead-canadian-junior-hockey-team-crash/

Here's an article about helping out the families of the victims. With the hospital bills of the survivors expected to be in the millions, I hope they reach their goal.

http://www.newsweek.com/humboldt-broncos-gofundme-canada-accident-bus-crash-876483

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Oh my goodness! I think that kid's brother tweeted about him dying and how they were so much best friends. Bittersweet I'm sure because you never want a tragedy like this to even happen, but can you imagine the joy of finding this out?

Relief is probably a better way to put it. I'm not sure there is any joy to be found in this situation under any circumstance. 

Ya, there's no joy in any of this...i just can't imagine the emotions. But to be told your son is dead, only to be told later he is not, the emotion has to be more than just relief. But again, in a tragedy like this, everything has to be bittersweet. 

I think they mean misidentified publicly? I don't think the deceased's family thought he was alive at this point, nor do I think the other family thought their child perished after this much time has passed. I think they would have known by now that their son was alive,

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

On 4/10/2018 at 1:41 AM, kliq said:

Just watched a video on ESPN, apparently 4mil was raised for the families through a Go Fund Me. They said that Dion Pheneuf donated $10,000, or at least his name was listed for that amount.

Looks like it reached 8 million around 9 hours ago according to the hockey reddit. The amount of support in/for the hockey community is incredible.