• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's like offense/offence, gray/grey, labor/labour, etc. There are multiple spellings for certain words depending on where ur from. I prefer Capitols. Spelling it Capitals is fingernails on a chalkboard for me...or should I say chaulkboard.

actually from the definitions, it is not a demographic thing, the two spelling mean two different things.  You wouldn't say "write a sentence and make sure you use Capitol letters."

Here this describes it perfectly:

The Washington Capitals play in the Capital of the USA where there is a huge Capitol Building.

There is a Capitol Building in the Michigan Capital of lansing, oops, I forgot to use a Capital L in Lansing...

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

actually from the definitions, it is not a demographic thing, the two spelling mean two different things.  You wouldn't say "write a sentence and make sure you use Capitol letters."

Here this describes it perfectly:

The Washington Capitals play in the Capital of the USA where there is a huge Capitol Building.

There is a Capitol Building in the Michigan Capital of lansing, oops, I forgot to use a Capital L in Lansing...

One of these is wrong.

Image result for madison capitols hockeyImage result for capitals logo

Doesn't it bother anyone that "capitals" is in all lower case letters?

Image result for capitals logo

I have tickets to game 1 for the finals! Wow. This city is just hockey nuts right now. The public practice today ended before everyone in line to see it made it in. 

A few things will determine this series. If Vegas continues to take unnecessary penalties Ovi will fry them on the powerplay. If Washington doesnt play every game in the finals like the way they played the last 2, Vegas will smash them. The Vegas forecheck and their ability to answer is almost uncanny. 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:44 AM, xtrememachine1 said:

You're kind of picking and choosing what numbers here you want to focus on here.  Yes, Fleury won more playoff games, but he also played in more playoff games.  Murray's GAA and Save percentage were vastly superior to Fleury's in both regular season and playoffs and Murray came in relief of Fleury who was shellacked by Ottawa in Game 3 and the team fell behind in the series, 2-1.  Another Fleury playoff meltdown appeared to be in the making, they switched to Murray and the result was another Cup.  

Point taken with the Cam Ward and Jim Carey examples.  (Not Brian Boucher, he had one good year).  However, none of those guys won back to back Cups.  They were good and showed plenty of potential, but none of them did what Murray did.  Murray is more comparable to Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy in terms of early success than those other two.

You're REALLY pulling information out of context here.  Fleury was the starter for only two of those four trips to the Finals.  His name is on the Cup 3 times because Matt Murray won it twice as a starter.  How many playoff failures did they have with Fleury during seasons where the Pens were expected to win it all?  Murray's been in the league three years and this is the first time he won't win it.  That's insane.

Winning back to back Stanley Cups isn't enough of a body of work to demonstrate you have what it takes to be a long term starter in this league??  Fleury needed to be exposed in the expansion draft and that's the guy Vegas wanted the most, as they took him first overall.  Working out a trade with Vegas to NOT take Fleury would have cost the Pens a price they didn't want to pay just to keep a $5 mil backup goalie.

All valid points. Like I said, choosing Murray over Fleury would be the logical choice. 

I am not sold on him yet for the reasons I mentioned:

1. Murray didn't really win it all as the "guy". He had help, either as a tandem with MAF or by "committee". How does he fare when its all on him? If this season is any indication, not good. We'll see.

2. Too many injuries at such a young age. I don't care if he IS the next Roy. It's a red flag and exactly the reason why I would keep a 1B type goalie around with him (someone like MAF).

3. Guys with that much success that early in their careers scares me, regardless of position. Too many guys fizzle out after "peaking" too soon. Not saying that happens to Murray, but a little insurance wouldn't hurt. 

On 5/24/2018 at 12:18 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah. A roster made up of college kids who ended up mostly being fringe NHLers or less beating a roster full of future Hall of Famers and some of the best hockey players of all time. A team that was arguably the best international hockey team ever who beat a squad made up of NHL All-Stars (20 of whom are in the HOF) in 2 out of 3 games the year before. Yep. No big story here. Way overblown. Not deserving of a movie cause it wasn't true hockey players (Canadians). Not a "Miracle" at all. Tell me more Colin Kaepernick.

https://www.nhl.com/news/look-at-miracle-on-ice-players-after-lake-placid/c-286973684

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/1980-soviet-union-squad-historys-greatest-international-hockey/story?id=42117760

Like I said, great story. But it was one game, won by one goal. Tretiak was pulled after two goals, which was one of the dumbest coaching moves ever. And it wasn't even the gold medal game. It's funny how many casual hockey fans think it was. It was deserving of respect, but man, they've milked that one for a long time. Funny how all these NHL All Star teams had so much trouble with the Soviets, but the Flyers destroyed them in the 70's, after the Summit Series. The Soviets, with Kharlamov and Tretiak, bailed halfway through the first and wanted to forfeit. Poor boys were scared. lol THAT one should be talked about more. They showed how you beat the Soviets. You punish them physically. Funny how no other team caught onto that.

This game either proves how great a team Vegas got out of expansion, or how bad Washington wants to s*** the bed. The fact the competition is this close between a first year team made up of what some say are castoffs, and a team that's been built slowly since Ovie entered the league, and has contended for years now, is just ridiculous. 

Everyone is salty because Vegas is better than their favorite team but the league didn’t make some of these GMs give up extra talent in side deals or whatever. Hell we gave up our best bottom 6 forward in Nosek. Would have rather gave up that dud goalie Mrazek but hey at least we flipped him for a pick I guess.

Nosek with the go ahead goal

17 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

Everyone is salty because Vegas is better than their favorite team but the league didn’t make some of these GMs give up extra talent in side deals or whatever. Hell we gave up our best bottom 6 forward in Nosek. Would have rather gave up that dud goalie Mrazek but hey at least we flipped him for a pick I guess.

Nosek was who they wanted. They didn't want Mrazek. Or Coreau. Or I doubt Howard either, even if he was available I'd blame wasting a forward spot on Abby for Nosek being taken. Or the fact Nielson HAD to be protected. 

And Nosek makes it 5-4. If it isn't obvious that the expansion draft favoured them, I dunno what to say. Just watch tonight's game a few times. 12-3 through three rounds, probably 13-3 after this game. I'm far from a Caps fan, but this is hilarious. I can't take it seriously. Clown show NHL.

Yep, there we go. LOL

Edited by chaps80

7 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Nosek was who they wanted. They didn't want Mrazek. Or Coreau. Or I doubt Howard either, even if he was available I'd blame wasting a forward spot on Abby for Nosek being taken. Or the fact Nielson HAD to be protected. 

And Nosek makes it 5-4. If it isn't obvious that the expansion draft favoured them, I dunno what to say. Just watch tonight's game a few times. 12-3 through three rounds, probably 13-3 after this game. I'm far from a Caps fan, but this is hilarious. I can't take it seriously. Clown show NHL.

Yep, there we go. LOL

That’s true they were gonna take Nosek regardless. He looks good on their 4th line with Reaves and Bellmare. He always takes the puck hard to the net.

As for the Vegas roster half their team didn’t do much of anything in their previous seasons. Sure they got a lot of depth but no one knew that some of these guys were going to take the extra ice time and thrive. Most these guys were slated to be career 3rd liners. There’s a lot more going into their success than the expansion draft set up.

Anyways I’m glad they don’t suck. This league doesn’t need to produce more teams worse than or equal to Arizona.

12 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

That’s true they were gonna take Nosek regardless. He looks good on their 4th line with Reaves and Bellmare. He always takes the puck hard to the net.

As for the Vegas roster half their team didn’t do much of anything in their previous seasons. Sure they got a lot of depth but no one knew that some of these guys were going to take the extra ice time and thrive. Most these guys were slated to be career 3rd liners. There’s a lot more going into their success than the expansion draft set up.

Anyways I’m glad they don’t suck. This league doesn’t need to produce more teams worse than or equal to Arizona.

I'd be happy with them not sucking, i'm just not happy with them getting this far this quickly. The Wild got their s*** together fairly quickly after entering the league in 2000, even taking out the Avs in Game 7 OT first round in 2003 and making it to the Conference Finals, where they were swept by Michelin Man. They didn't have a 13-3 record, sitting within three wins of the Cup in their first season. The NHL doesn't need another Arizona, but they also don't need Vegas winning a Cup right away, unless it is all about money. 

I dunno, if it's enjoyable for some, great. I just think it's messed up that an expansion team somehow went goal for goal with Washington in Game 1 of the Finals, and ultimately beat them, with a "castoff third liner" roster. There is more going into it, your right. Could just be a fluke, and they might miss the playoffs next year like LA did in 2015 after winning the Cup, but somehow i doubt it.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

I'd be happy with them not sucking, i'm just not happy with them getting this far this quickly. The Wild got their s*** together fairly quickly after entering the league in 2000, even taking out the Avs in Game 7 OT first round in 2003 and making it to the Conference Finals, where they were swept by Michelin Man. They didn't have a 13-3 record, sitting within three wins of the Cup in their first season. The NHL doesn't need another Arizona, but they also don't need Vegas winning a Cup right away, unless it is all about money. 

I dunno, if it's enjoyable for some, great. I just think it's messed up that an expansion team somehow went goal for goal with Washington in Game 1 of the Finals, and ultimately beat them, with a "castoff third liner" roster. There is more going into it, your right. Could just be a fluke, and they might miss the playoffs next year like LA did in 2015 after winning the Cup, but somehow i doubt it.

I think at this point its fair to say they are not just "3rd liners". Maybe that's what these players were in the past, but the Marchessault/Karlson/Smith is one of the best in the NHL. If Florida doesn't botch the expansion draft, they don't have this top line, and they likely don't come close to be as good as they are. There is also that coach they have....where is he from again? Oh Florida.

Then you add in Anaheim's flub with Theodore and Columbus not seeing Karlson for what he was and you have a Stanley Cup contender.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I think at this point its fair to say they are not just "3rd liners". Maybe that's what these players were in the past, but the Marchessault/Karlson/Smith is one of the best in the NHL. If Florida doesn't botch the expansion draft, they don't have this top line, and they likely don't come close to be as good as they are. There is also that coach they have....where is he from again? Oh Florida.

Then you add in Anaheim's flub with Theodore and Columbus not seeing Karlson for what he was and you have a Stanley Cup contender.

Are you braindead? The expansion draft was clearly in their favor and gifted them all rock solid 1st liners. Everyone knew it. NHL is a joke.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Are you braindead? The expansion draft was clearly in their favor and gifted them all rock solid 1st liners. Everyone knew it. NHL is a joke.

Just because they would be first liners on our team, doesn't mean that they'd be first liners on an NHL team. 

Good for the Knights.  Surprised it was so high scoring though. Not sure if they can win the entire series if Fleury isn't at his best. 

Maybe I'm just being unnecessarily critical of our team or looking at things the wrong way, but LV is really showing how many bad decisions we've made lately.  Gerard Gallant, a life long Wings player, was available when we hired Jeff Blashill.  Blashill has not only done nothing, but it seems like our young players are regressing under him.  Meanwhile, Gallant was a Jack Adams finalist with the Panthers and now took a team of misfits and castoffs to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Tomas Tatar, who was a top 6 forward on our team, is a healthy scratch on LV and Tomas Nosek, who was in the AHL with us, scores the GWG for LV in Game 1 of the Finals.  On one hand, I'm happy for former Wings players having success (once a Wing, always a Wing), but it just kind of highlights a little of what we're doing wrong. 

Missed most of this watching Houston choke against the Warriors but looked like a hell of a game

On the Vegas roster I’m still reserving judgement. Is Karlsson really a 40 goal top 10 center year in and year out along with Reilly Smith. Karlsson maybe but I doubt Smith keeps up his pace. He had good years in boston and was a fan favorite but he was far from a top line player

Edited by joesuffP

6 hours ago, BigWillieStyle said:

Just because they would be first liners on our team, doesn't mean that they'd be first liners on an NHL team. 

Well they are 1st liners on a team in the finals who is up 1-0, and statistically fit the bill as all are pretty much at a point per game.

3 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Good for the Knights.  Surprised it was so high scoring though. Not sure if they can win the entire series if Fleury isn't at his best. 

Maybe I'm just being unnecessarily critical of our team or looking at things the wrong way, but LV is really showing how many bad decisions we've made lately.  Gerard Gallant, a life long Wings player, was available when we hired Jeff Blashill.  Blashill has not only done nothing, but it seems like our young players are regressing under him.  Meanwhile, Gallant was a Jack Adams finalist with the Panthers and now took a team of misfits and castoffs to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Tomas Tatar, who was a top 6 forward on our team, is a healthy scratch on LV and Tomas Nosek, who was in the AHL with us, scores the GWG for LV in Game 1 of the Finals.  On one hand, I'm happy for former Wings players having success (once a Wing, always a Wing), but it just kind of highlights a little of what we're doing wrong. 

We've made plenty of mistakes, but I dont think these are good examples. 

Nosek is a good 4th liner and I wish we still had him, but we lost him in the expansion draft. Compared to what other teams lost, I really don't think losing him is a big deal.

I think Tatar is bad example, because I dont think may think that Tatar is the 13 best forward on LV, I think its more of a chemistry thing. I would bet next year Tatar is in the top 9.

Blashill has not worked out, and I wish he was gone. If you want to blame Holland for sticking with Blashill (unless you believe he's doing it for the tank) then I 100% agree, but if we are going back in time to before he was hired, I don't think he was a bad choice. Sometimes things just don't work out.

13 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Yep, there we go. LOL

Both Abby and Nielsen are better players than Nosek. If either had been left unprotected, they clearly would have been picked over him. You complain about other teams "gifting" Vegas better players and then you complain that we didn't. I don't get where ur coming from anymore.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Both Abby and Nielsen are better players than Nosek. If either had been left unprotected, they clearly would have been picked over him. You complain about other teams "gifting" Vegas better players and then you complain that we didn't. I don't get where ur coming from anymore.

Bold, I disagree with. I don't think Vegas would have taken Nielsen or Abdelkader over Nosek, unless we offered them a pick to go along with it. They wanted cost effective players. They got that with Nosek.

Underlined, I agree with. Some people just want to complain about everything and anything. I'm sure it's somehow Holland's fault that Vegas are a Cup contending team...

My personal view, too many folks on this forum underestimate how much of a "one off" this Vegas thing is.  You run the expansion draft 100 times with the same rules, and I think Las Vegas's success this season never gets repeated.  

It was brilliant GM'ing, briliiant coaching, some magical chemistry and plenty of luck.