• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

Yzerman was in his 14th season when he won his first Cup.  Much like Ovechkin, he was the face of the franchise and got most of the blame when the team choked in the playoffs.  There was even talk of trading him, like I've heard said about Ovechkin after the last few playoffs.  

7 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Yzerman was in his 14th season when he won his first Cup.  Much like Ovechkin, he was the face of the franchise and got most of the blame when the team choked in the playoffs.  There was even talk of trading him, like I've heard said about Ovechkin after the last few playoffs.  

Watching this Cup win took me back to 97 for sure. Definitely some parallels. Very happy for Ovie finally getting his Cup. 

https://www.today.com/parents/capitals-t-j-oshie-offers-tearful-tribute-dad-alzheimer-s-t130509

The father of Washington Capitals right wing T.J. Oshie struggles with his memory due to Alzheimer's disease, so his son did his best to give him a night the two of them will never forget.

"My dad, he doesn't remember a lot of stuff these days,'' Oshie, 31, told NBC Sports as he choked back tears. "But ... this one will stick with him forever, you can guarantee that."

"You bet your ass he's gonna remember this one,'' Oshie told Canada's Sportsnet.

DfI-HKiU0AEIEtg.jpg

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Does he pull a Tim Thomas?

https://www.rt.com/sport/429099-stanley-cup-ovechkin-russia-interference/

Twitter chuckles about ‘Russian interference’ after historic win of Ovechkin’s Capitals

rymc8jaO_normal.jpg
Trump becomes President. Washington’s hockey team immediately makes it to the Stanley Cup Final. Led by a RUSSIAN. Coincidence? This needs to be investigated.

i26e_AGz_normal.jpg
#Capitals Finally Won the #StanleyCup ..Must have been because of Russian Influence

Congratulations to the Washington Capitals on their GREAT play and winning the Stanley Cup Championship. Alex Ovechkin, the team captain, was spectacular - a true Superstar! D.C. is popping, in many ways. What a time!

On 6/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

https://www.rt.com/sport/429099-stanley-cup-ovechkin-russia-interference/

Twitter chuckles about ‘Russian interference’ after historic win of Ovechkin’s Capitals

rymc8jaO_normal.jpg
Trump becomes President. Washington’s hockey team immediately makes it to the Stanley Cup Final. Led by a RUSSIAN. Coincidence? This needs to be investigated.

i26e_AGz_normal.jpg
#Capitals Finally Won the #StanleyCup ..Must have been because of Russian Influence

Congratulations to the Washington Capitals on their GREAT play and winning the Stanley Cup Championship. Alex Ovechkin, the team captain, was spectacular - a true Superstar! D.C. is popping, in many ways. What a time!

Trust me, no one will miss Smith-Pelly at the White House

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Aren't any Russians on those teams. :lol:

I remember when teams/players went to the White House, did the photo op, gave the President a jersey, and went home. Personal politics had nothing to do with it. It was a formal, customary occasion that players did not only out of respect for the tradition, but respect for the office of the Presidency, regardless of who occupied the Oval Office. Now it seems like personal grievance has become more important than mutual respect. It's sad really.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/capitals-smith-pelly-speaks-trump/

This is exactly what I am talking about. Being invited to the White House to meet the President (regardless of who it is) is part of the Stanley Cup experience, and is an honor that is only granted to a few dozen NHL players, coaches, trainers, etc.. each year. By publicly denouncing the President and then boycotting the appearance is not only disrespectful to the President, but also to his own teammates. We all know what the headline will now be now: "Black Capitals Player Boycotts White House Visit" or "Smith-Pelly Skips Presidential Visit and Denounces President"; when instead the Headlines should be "Washington Capitals Celebrate Stanley Cup Victory with Presidential Visit" or "Trump Welcomes Stanley Cup Champions to the White House" It's a selfish move for Smith-Pelly to do that. What should be a positive, celebratory event for the TEAM is now going to become a disgraceful, political opportunity to give the press more ammunition to attack the President with. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

I don’t think it has anything to do with a political agenda like a lot of Trump apologists like to spin it. It’s more about common decency and having zero respect for the president and don’t want to spend an afternoon with him and I don’t think athletes should feel forced to just because it is such a great ‘honor’. It’s the same dated thinking that athletes should just shut up and play there sport and not act like human beings

Just now, joesuffP said:

If you say so. If only the president was held to such high moral standards as athletes and people on Twitter 

It's not a high moral standard. It's "Hey, Guy Who Hates Trump, maybe don't be a dingus and make this special occasion about you and your personal political beliefs. Your intended political statement won't change anyone's mind and won't do a blessed thing to truly advance any social causes. tl;dr Get over yourself."

I'm not saying Trump isn't guilty of countless acts of dingusry. I'm not saying Smith-Pelly has to like or respect him. I'm not even saying Smith-Pelly has to attend the thing. I'm just saying that by not attending, he's kind of being a dingus. A principled dingus? I mean, sure, I guess. You rock those principles, Smith-Pelly. You fight that good fight. Or something.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It's not a high moral standard. It's "Hey, Guy Who Hates Trump, maybe don't be a dingus and make this special occasion about you and your personal political beliefs. Your intended political statement won't change anyone's mind and won't do a blessed thing to truly advance any social causes. tl;dr Get over yourself."

I'm not saying Trump isn't guilty of countless acts of dingusry. I'm not saying Smith-Pelly has to like or respect him. I'm not even saying Smith-Pelly has to attend the thing. I'm just saying that by not attending, he's kind of being a dingus. A principled dingus? I mean, sure, I guess. You rock those principles, Smith-Pelly. You fight that good fight. Or something.

Kinda my point. Stop making it about you and your political/social beliefs. Don't make it personal. Can you just put the politics aside and just enjoy the experience with your teammates? You have 364 other days out of the year to hate on the President.. Put aside your differences for one day for the benefit of your team. Is that too much to ask? And disagreeing with what Smith-Pelly is doing doesn't make someone a Trump apologist either. I didn't like when Tim Thomas did it either for the same reason. You can still respect the tradition and your teammates by showing up, that doesn't mean you support Trump or even agree with him if you do. In fact, it makes you look like a grown up who understands the difference between respecting the office and respecting the man, instead of looking like a petulant child who has to throw a public tantrum in order to draw attention to themselves. When will people learn that this kind of behavior does more harm than good?