• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Should The Wings Re-Sign Mike Green?

Rate this topic

Should The Wings Re-sign Mike Green?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He’s the number one defensemen on a poor defensive team. If Kronwall, Daley, and Ericsson don’t provide enough veteran experience for younger players to learn from then adding Green won’t help much. This roster is clogged with bad contracts and few spaces to add youth and talent. 

It didn’t work for three years, time to move on. 

If the contract is right, say 4 mil or under then absolutely bring him back.  Kronner has a year left as does Daley and Ericsson has two left.  Green was our best Dman this year with Daley behind him.  Id like to see those two around while we get our D corps up and going again

1 hour ago, 13dangledangle said:

If the contract is right, say 4 mil or under then absolutely bring him back.  Kronner has a year left as does Daley and Ericsson has two left.  Green was our best Dman this year with Daley behind him.  Id like to see those two around while we get our D corps up and going again

Agreed.

Bright spots: Green, Daley

Problem children: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser

Useless: Ouellet, Jensen, Lashoff

Kids: Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak

Green and Daley were the only two Dmen on this team I was truly pleased with this past season. And I think it speaks volumes that the 2 FA acquisitions are our best Dmen. The Red Wings have either been very unlucky in the draft or can no longer develop D-men to save their lives. But I digress. I think both should be kept on as building blocks for this D-group.

Kronwall is nearing the end. If he does continue to play he'll probably see severely reduced ice time again. We can not rely on him or his busted knees to be a building block anymore. Dekeyser and Ericsson are both massively overpaid for what they provide. I'd love to move them out, but were probably just going to have to deal with the both of them for a good while.

Don't have much to say about Ouellet, Jensen, and Lashoff. They are the new Kindl, Smith, Marchenko group. Usable, but don't provide any value. THESE are the types of players that should be cut out in favor of a young player like Hicketts or Sulak.

So the core I'd like to realistically see going forward:

Daley - Green
Ericsson - Dekeyser
Kronwall - Hicketts

With Kronwall transitioning into retirement in the next season or two and Hicketts representing a young player being rotated in. Once Kronwall is gone, we hopefully can successfully rotate a second young player like Cholowski in. If we do successfully rotate two young players into this D over the next 2 or 3 seasons, then at that time we should seriously consider getting rid of Ericsson or Dekeyser as well.

It depends.

Is he fully recovered from his injury and healthy to start the season?

Did we miss out on Dahlin?

Is he willing to sign no more than a 2 year deal at 5 per?

Is he willing to be traded in year 2 for a 1st or 2nd round return?

Is there no one in the system ready for a top 4 role?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, than I do it without hesitation. Otherwise I might have to pass.

My concern with Green is that he seemed to regress this season as compared to last season. He still put up points, which is a big deal (especially for our blue line), but the underlying numbers weren't flattering. I liked him more last season, when he held his own in a more demanding role and looked like someone who was propping up our defense group and keeping it from collapsing in on itself. Daley kind of assumed that role this season, forming a decent(ish) shutdown pairing with Ericsson that played tough minutes and provided some insulation for the other defensemen.

Would I really mind having Green back on a one-year hometown discount deal? I wouldn't kick and scream about it, no. But, at this point, I think I'd rather give two of Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, Sulak, and maybe a 2018 draftee an actual shot at making the team out of camp. The $4-6M we'd save could also come in handy.

Real talk. I'm beyond tired of the defense logjam. I'm beyond tired of the mediocrity and stagnation. I'm beyond tired of stopgaps. Holland can trade all of Ouellet, Jensen, Hicketts, and Sulak for all I care. Even if you get rid of all of those players, there's still Lashoff, Russo, Renouf, Saarijarvi, McIlrath. We are hoarding mediocre defensemen.

f3c.gif

I voted yes a few months ago, but now I would pass unless its a 1 year deal with no NTC which will not happen.

I worry that if we sign him to say a 3 year deal, he regresses and becomes another bloated contract that we can't move. 

20 minutes ago, Dabura said:

My concern with Green is that he seemed to regress this season as compared to last season. He still put up points, which is a big deal (especially for our blue line), but the underlying numbers weren't flattering. I liked him more last season, when he held his own in a more demanding role and looked like someone who was propping up our defense group and keeping it from collapsing in on itself. Daley kind of assumed that role this season, forming a decent(ish) shutdown pairing with Ericsson that played tough minutes and provided some insulation for the other defensemen.

Would I really mind having Green back on a one-year hometown discount deal? I wouldn't kick and scream about it, no. But, at this point, I think I'd rather give two of Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, Sulak, and maybe a 2018 draftee an actual shot at making the team out of camp. The $4-6M we'd save could also come in handy.

Real talk. I'm beyond tired of the defense logjam. I'm beyond tired of the mediocrity and stagnation. I'm beyond tired of stopgaps. Holland can trade all of Ouellet, Jensen, Hicketts, and Sulak for all I care. Even if you get rid of all of those players, there's still Lashoff, Russo, Renouf, Saarijarvi, McIlrath. We are hoarding mediocre defensemen.

f3c.gif

8 minutes ago, kliq said:

I voted yes a few months ago, but now I would pass unless its a 1 year deal with no NTC which will not happen.

I worry that if we sign him to say a 3 year deal, he regresses and becomes another bloated contract that we can't move. 

I agree it has to be a very team friendly deal for me to be cool with it. I'd offer 4 million for 2 years and an NTC probably at most.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I agree it has to be a very team friendly deal for me to be cool with it. I'd offer 4 million for 2 years and an NTC probably at most.

I'm ok with a NTC if it expires before the TDL in the final year.

I have negative zero interest in a multi-year deal. Next summer Holland will have the opportunity to walk away from Kronwall, Howard, Nyquist and maybe put that cap space towards signing one of the many high-end UFAs that could be available. No preemptive handcuffing plz.

I think the best argument for bringing Green back on a one-year deal is that we could flip him at the deadline. But I imagine that's a big reason why he probably won't sign a one-year deal, certainly not one without trade protection. He'd have to be pretty desperate. Maybe the neck thing scares teams away, but I've gotta think someone's gonna offer him a pretty tasty deal. I just hope it's not Ken Holland.

Edited by Dabura

after tossing it around a bit, I change my opinion to No.

depending on who we draft, I'd like to see XO dealt as well and have 2-3 KIDS make the roster come October. Hoping of course one of those is Dahlin.

Kronwall - Daley

Ericsson - DD

KID - Jensen

Kid - Kid

...depending on your FWD/D combo.

Edited by LeftWinger

No he shouldn’t be resigned. He had cervical spine surgery. 

How is this even a topic of debate. This guy is literally a walking liability. 

If Holland does resign him, better be for a year to trade at deadline (if Green even makes it to deadline healthy).

Edited by kickazz

36 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

after tossing it around a bit, I change my opinion to No.

depending on who we draft, I'd like to see XO dealt as well and have 2-3 KIDS make the roster come October. Hoping of course one of those is Dahlin.

Kronwall - Daley

Ericsson - DD

KID - Jensen

Kid - Kid

...depending on your FWD/D combo.

We're not going to have multiple defensive prospects in the press box. If they're not in the top 6, they will be in the minors where they should be. Better to have Lashoff/Russo/Sulak in those 7/8 spots. If we carry 8. Which we won't.

I can't tell you how wrong this is on multiple levels. That thinking (keeping kids in minors for "more ice time") is what has turned this franchise into what it is, broken down garbage. Kids can learn by practicing with NHLr's and watching and observing from the press box. More than they can learn dominating career AHL players once again in the minors. There comes a time when philosophy has to change, and since our is the only one in the NHL that hasn't, nearly every franchise has passed us up.

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I can't tell you how wrong this is on multiple levels. That thinking (keeping kids in minors for "more ice time") is what has turned this franchise into what it is, broken down garbage. Kids can learn by practicing with NHLr's and watching and observing from the press box. More than they can learn dominating career AHL players once again in the minors. There comes a time when philosophy has to change, and since our is the only one in the NHL that hasn't, nearly every franchise has passed us up.

No.

What has turned this franchise into what it is is having sustained long term success in a league designed to prevent it. Implementation of a salary cap without even a luxury tax preventing signing of meaningful free agents, and then overpaying pending ones. Going long periods of time without high end draft picks, and missing on the lower ones that were awarded based on the way the draft is set up (punishing success, rewarding failure). No longer having the best scouting staff and pulling gems out of later rounds. Being incredibly unlucky in drafting defenseman and getting duds (Kindl, Smith), as well as fluke injuries/medical issues regarding defensemen who were actually very good (Vladi, Fischer, Kronwall). 

This team would not be any better today bringing up any of its past prospects sooner than it did. Blaming this team's current state of affairs on how it has handled its prospects in the past is quite irrelevant IMO. It's like that person you work with who blames all of their problems on whoever the President is. In reality, this has very little to do with their personal issues, but they don't like him, so he's a convenient scapegoat.  

In summary, this team's issues are multifaceted (as mentioned above). It's handling of prospects has never been one of them that i can recall. But it's easy to blame our downfall on that perception for those that didn't agree with it. It's just human nature I suppose. 

8 hours ago, kickazz said:

No he shouldn’t be resigned. He had cervical spine surgery. 

How is this even a topic of debate. This guy is literally a walking liability. 

If Holland does resign him, better be for a year to trade at deadline (if Green even makes it to deadline healthy).

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

giphy.gif

Hmmm quarterbacks that get hit once in a while by guys running 10 mph from the line or hockey player getting hit flying 30+ mph. I wonder. 

But you make a good point. Manning had one surgery and when he didn't quit football (he should have) he was forced to undergo multiple surgeries after that. 

So yeah lets sign a guy that will probably need more surgeries and possibly end up missing most of the season (82 as opposed to the 16 in football). 

Edited by kickazz

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Hmmm quarterbacks that get hit once in a while by guys running 10 mph from the line or hockey player getting hit flying 30+ mph. I wonder. 

But you make a good point. Manning had one surgery and when he didn't quit football (he should have) he was forced to undergo multiple surgeries after that. 

So yeah lets sign a guy that will probably need more surgeries and possibly end up missing most of the season (82 as opposed to the 16 in football). 

1. It was a joke.

2. We don't know yet the severity of Green's injury. The prognosis of a C-spine injury depends on multiple factors. For example, is there any spinal cord injury and what grade is it? Is there motor or sensory impairment? Which individual vertebrae are involved? Is there now a musculoskeletal disorder? Will there be range of motion limitations? I haven't seen anything specific yet. If you have, please feel free to share it, I would be interested in reading it. Until then, I am staying positive about his outcome. and hoping for the best.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

1. It was a joke.

2. We don't know yet the severity of Green's injury. The prognosis of a C-spine injury depends on multiple factors. For example, is there any spinal cord injury and what grade is it? Is there motor or sensory impairment? Which individual vertebrae are involved? Is there now a musculoskeletal disorder? Will there be range of motion limitations? I haven't seen anything specific yet. If you have, please feel free to share it, I would be interested in reading it. Until then, I am staying positive about his outcome. and hoping for the best.

Regardless of what type of surgery it is, statistically he has a risk of further complications and another surgery. That's inherent of spinal/back surgeries in general. 

If he was like Zetterberg who was mid contract it would be one thing because we have no choice and hope for the best (so far so good). But for a team like us that's rebuilding. To sign a guy who is a free agent AFTER he had a spinal surgery? That's not really the smartest of decisions. We actually have a choice here. 

Walk away. We don't need him. If we resign him, do it for cheap. I mean like 2-3 million at most and only for a year. See how he does. God ffs stay away otherwise. 

Edited by kickazz

This is right in Kenny's wheel house!!! 4 years $6Mill per come on Kenny lets see what your made of we didn't just re-up with you for nothing...lets see a glorious NTC thrown in to boot.

29 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Manning went to 2 Superbowls and won a Championship after his surgery, not the best of examples.

If we re-sign Green, which seems to be the general consent, as long as he is healthy, I hope we deal XO so we can get some new blood back there to compete and push others. if we land Dahlin, do we still re-sign Green? If so, is XO out for sure? Someone will be out or #8 on the list.