• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Boqvist

Rate this topic

Yeah on his elite prospect page, it says he's out for the season with a concussion. I'd stay away from him as well. However, I haven't watched any games, and only learned about these prospects on Saturday when we were awarded the 6th pick, heh.

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

Yeah on his elite prospect page, it says he's out for the season with a concussion. I'd stay away from him as well. However, I haven't watched any games, and only learned about these prospects on Saturday when we were awarded the 6th pick, heh.

He was the guy I hoped we got but at that age with two concussions I would be steering clear. Hughes is who I would love to see unless anyone projected above him doesn't get taken. 

Please, no more concussion's. It's unfortunate, but hopefully this keeps Holland from taking him. It's things like this that he has to look at that remove names off his list. Maybe someone takes a gamble on him, hopefully not us. Now, if this impacts his draft position and he falls, let's say in to the 2nd round, as long as we got some good names with late 1st and first 2nd, maybe we take him then. I'd prefer 3rd round, but hell no he drops to a 3rd. He may still get taken top 10.

But this may also make another one unavailable at 6. Maybe a team that was eyeing him, passes and takes one of Bouchard or Dobson instead. Could get interesting...

Edited by LeftWinger

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Please, no more concussion's. It's unfortunate, but hopefully this keeps Holland from taking him. It's things like this that he has to look at that remove names off his list. Maybe someone takes a gamble on him, hopefully not us. Now, if this impacts his draft position and he falls, let's say in to the 2nd round, as long as we got some good names with late 1st and first 2nd, maybe we take him then. I'd prefer 3rd round, but hell no he drops to a 3rd. He will still get taken top 10.

But this may also make another one unavailable at 6. Maybe a team that was eyeing him, passes and takes one of Bouchard or Dobson instead. Could get interesting...

Fixed

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Watch what Ottawa does. If Montreal takes Zadina, I think they go with Boqvist hoping he's a Karlsson clone.

With the concussions that will be a heck of a gamble. Of course they aren't the smartest management team. I could see them taking him though thinking it'll please Karlsson and maybe entice him to stay. I think they need more than just Boqvist to keep Karlsson to stay. Maybe they'll land JT? 

Just now, marcaractac said:

Fixed

I don't doubt it, but it sure would be a risk. Hopefully Holland isn't the one to take it. 

Here is what I mean, when you have 2-4 players you're looking at when its your turn, you have to consider these types of things in order to make your choice. Boqvist and Bouchard (outside of height) may be virtual clones of each other when it comes to NHL potential, but if one is damaged goods (potentially career ending damaged goods) you have to go with the healthier one.

A race that is very much undecided is the one for first defender drafted post-Dahlin. At the forefront is exciting defensive prospects Adam Boqvist from Sweden and Evan Bouchard of Canada. While separated by a millennia – Bouchard was born in October -99, Boqvist August -00 – as well as the Atlantic Ocean, Boqvist and Bouchard do have a couple of things in common. They are both known for their offensive abilities on the ice, they both shot right and they both have the potential to be true difference-makers at the NHL level.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/article.php?id=286

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

With the concussions that will be a heck of a gamble. Of course they aren't the smartest management team. I could see them taking him though thinking it'll please Karlsson and maybe entice him to stay. I think they need more than just Boqvist to keep Karlsson to stay. Maybe they'll land JT? 

I don't doubt it, but it sure would be a risk. Hopefully Holland isn't the one to take it. 

Enticing Karlsson to stay will be as simple as paying him what he deserves.. and if they don’t want to do that, there’s no way they’re also adding JT. 

So far it sounds like the sharks and flyers will both make a big push for Tavares. New Jersey’s GM was recently approved to spend to the cap.. him and Hall would be a deadly combo. I’m sure plenty others will join in as well.. sorry, I’m getting too off track. But he’ll get to pick his next team out of a pretty decent chunk of the league. I highly doubt an internal budget team like Ottawa is one of them though.  

I don’t think whoever Ottawa takes will impact Karlsson at all. But Karlsson leaving, seems like it would almost guarantee they take a defenseman in the first imo. 

Edited by amato

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

No. They'll take him with the hopes that they have Karlsson's replacement so they can trade him before he hits free agency.

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Any team interested in him will know anything and everything about his medical condition. Having had a concussion does not automatically mean risk. There is so much more to it. Hearing that word and automatically assuming risk is just being paranoid. Boqvist would be an amazing get for us or any other team that can't have Dahlin.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No. They'll take him with the hopes that they have Karlsson's replacement so they can trade him before he hits free agency.

And 10 years from now when Boqvist is looking for a big pay day, they'll take the next elite Swedish defenseman in the 2028 draft in hopes he can replace Boqvist. Rinse and repeat. I feel so bad for Sens fans...

21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

And 10 years from now when Boqvist is looking for a big pay day, they'll take the next elite Swedish defenseman in the 2028 draft in hopes he can replace Boqvist. Rinse and repeat. I feel so bad for Sens fans...

Fans?.....Yes.....Ownership?...No.

drafting damaged goods would be a huge risk. Whoever drafts him, I hope it works out for the good.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Any team interested in him will know anything and everything about his medical condition. Having had a concussion does not automatically mean risk. There is so much more to it. Hearing that word and automatically assuming risk is just being paranoid. Boqvist would be an amazing get for us or any other team that can't have Dahlin.

SO many times players with concussion have been cleared to play by doctors only to take another hit and never play again. But there are a few examples of players who have been able to continue, Crosby being one of them. I maintain its a big risk, but for both parties I hope the results are the latter and not the former.

32 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

drafting damaged goods would be a huge risk. Whoever drafts him, I hope it works out for the good.

SO many times players with concussion have been cleared to play by doctors only to take another hit and never play again. But there are a few examples of players who have been able to continue, Crosby being one of them. I maintain its a big risk, but for both parties I hope the results are the latter and not the former.

I still get nervous when I see Crosby get knocked around. I know he's not real popular around here, but It'd be a shame to see a career like that end early.

34 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're risk assessment is skewed by the Franzen situation, and you're not just trying to hide your bigotry behind a convenient excuse. 

"Huge risk" does not appear to be well supported by fact. Relatively speaking, very few players have been forced into retirement by concussions. Statistics are pretty hard to come by, but concussions themselves do not even appear to be all that common, 65 or so / year on average. Retirements not even 1 / year? (I don't feel like counting.) In around 44,000 man-games / year.

The risk is tiny, even if prior concussions increase the likelihood several times over (though in reality it's probably only like 30% more likely). 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4262814/

55 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Okay, medical expert

35 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're risk assessment is skewed by the Franzen situation, and you're not just trying to hide your bigotry behind a convenient excuse. 

"Huge risk" does not appear to be well supported by fact. Relatively speaking, very few players have been forced into retirement by concussions. Statistics are pretty hard to come by, but concussions themselves do not even appear to be all that common, 65 or so / year on average. Retirements not even 1 / year? (I don't feel like counting.) In around 44,000 man-games / year.

The risk is tiny, even if prior concussions increase the likelihood several times over (though in reality it's probably only like 30% more likely). 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4262814/

I am SO ******* tired of the bigot thing! I am NOT a bigot towards Swedes! If I were I would not have liked Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Samuelsson (the first time around) Monster as our back up, a healthy Kronwall, Zetterberg, Karlsson, Hedman, Sedin twins or OEL. Good ******* lord stop already! Just because I don't like Nyquist and Franzen and for the most part Ericsson (although I gave him many props last season) DOES NOT MAKE ME A BIGOT! I even advocated Dahlin AND Boqvist up until the concussion issues were found out. I just don't think it's be worth the risk, especially if Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes are still there.

BTW, it ends careers more than you think, I can't imagine how many careers were ended early back int he day when they didn't know how to diagnose a concussion!

https://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2013/04/17nhl-careers-ended-by-concussions#8

24 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Okay, medical expert

..and for you too.

each and every one of these players were cleared by doctors to play, as was Franzen. ALL were forced to retire/LTIR because of concussion symptoms. You don't have to be a medical expert to know drafting a player with concussion issues already would be a huge risk, whether or not a REAL doctor says he is clear to play. But please, continue to try to troll this thread with your useless input to the conversation. Hockey expert!

Ok so he may be ok or maybe not.  Do you take him or not?  It was between him and Bouchard for me.  We have to get this one right.  I think Bouchard will be gone now.  I'm starting to look at Dobson now.

No. If Bouchard, Dobson or Hughes are there, you take one of those. If Boqvist is the only one left (which means 4 out of 5 takes D, then you take Offense. You cannot use you highest pick in decades on damaged goods.

Edited by LeftWinger

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

..and for you too.

each and every one of these players were cleared by doctors to play, as was Franzen. ALL were forced to retire/LTIR because of concussion symptoms. You don't have to be a medical expert to know drafting a player with concussion issues already would be a huge risk, whether or not a REAL doctor says he is clear to play. But please, continue to try to troll this thread with your useless input to the conversation. Hockey expert!

You sure showed me. Clearly you know more about Boqvist's health than doctors and GM's interested in drafting him. 

Clearly Boqvist is damaged goods because LeftWinger said so. If only he was Tippett or Hague so he would never be concussed again. 

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I am SO ******* tired of the bigot thing! I am NOT a bigot towards Swedes! If I were I would not have liked Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Samuelsson (the first time around) Monster as our back up, a healthy Kronwall, Zetterberg, Karlsson, Hedman, Sedin twins or OEL. Good ******* lord stop already! Just because I don't like Nyquist and Franzen and for the most part Ericsson (although I gave him many props last season) DOES NOT MAKE ME A BIGOT! I even advocated Dahlin AND Boqvist up until the concussion issues were found out. I just don't think it's be worth the risk, especially if Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes are still there.

BTW, it ends careers more than you think, I can't imagine how many careers were ended early back int he day when they didn't know how to diagnose a concussion!

Hey, I said I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. People in general are bad at risk assessment, certainly no surprise that you would be as well. (Although, you would have to be especially terrible if you still wouldn't want to take a top-5 talent in the 2nd round, unless there was some other contributing factor...)

You gave a list of like 18 people, going back to the 90s. Probably another handful since that was published. So maybe slightly more than 1/year. Hell, call it 2. Still a very small risk. There's a bigger chance of him (or any of the others) just being a bust than there is of future concussion issues.

I want Boqvist more than ever now.