• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Official 2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

Squad_Goals.png

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

tl;dr One or two or all three of Kronwall, Howard, Nyquist could be coming off the books next summer.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2019/ufa/

tl;dr Doughty, Karlsson, Panarin, Couture, Duchene, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, Wheeler, Ekman-Larsson, Myers, Brassard, McDonagh, Johansson, Pacioretty, Stralman, Zuccarello, Hjalmarsson, Simmonds, Silfverberg, Lee, E. Staal, Gourde.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2018/03/30/jack-hughes-nhl-draft-prospect/473721002/

tl;dr "Added Vanbiesbrouck: 'I do believe (Hughes) is in the category with Matthews and Eichel, and he might be able to set his own category.'"

HYPE!

Well we'll get JT this summer, finish about 9th or 10th from bottom, get the lottery bump to #1 over-all, draft Hughes, then sign Karlsson and OEL.

That is why Holland got 2 more years, he is going to make this the best two summers of acquisitions and drafts EVER!

I mostly kid, but could you imagine that haul?  WOW! Larkin could go back to being a Winger too!

Larkin - JT - Mantha

AA - Hughes - Ras

Z - Nielsen - Bertuzzi

Abby - Glen - Helm

Frk

Karlsson - Bouchard

OEL - Daley

Cholowski - Dekeyser

Ericsson

Who the hell would be our G's then? With that lineup, would we even need G's? :lol: 

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

tl;dr One or two or all three of Kronwall, Howard, Nyquist could be coming off the books next summer.

I hope Kronwall has a strong, healthy final season. He will likely retire after this season. There's no way he should be offered another contract, and he definitely won't sign with another team.

I'd consider offering Howard another short, 2-3 year contract at a slightly lesser cap hit, depending on who else is available. We're going to need a stop gap goaltender before Larsson, Petruzzelli, or Fulcher are ready to make the jump.

Nyquist should be traded at next year's deadline. He should garner a decent return. Not as high as Tatar because he'll be a pending UFA, but you'd have to think he'd get us a 2nd round pick, at minimum.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

tl;dr Doughty, Karlsson, Panarin, Couture, Duchene, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, Wheeler, Ekman-Larsson, Myers, Brassard, McDonagh, Johansson, Pacioretty, Stralman, Zuccarello, Hjalmarsson, Simmonds, Silfverberg, Lee, E. Staal, Gourde.

Like every free agent class, most of these players will re-up with their current clubs. The few that may become available, probably won't end up in Detroit. And honestly I'm okay with that. We need to continue to draft and develop. Just remember that the players listed were draft 2nd overall, 15th, undrafted, 9th, 3rd, 22nd, 2nd, 7th, 5th, 6th, 12th, 6th, 12th, 4th, 22nd, 216th, undrafted, 108th, 61st, 39th, 152nd, 2nd, undrafted. It's very likely we could have another very high (top 5) pick next year, and hopefully get that franchise player we so desperately need. That to go along with Larkin, Mantha, Rasmussen, Cholowski, *Bouchard*, Hronek, etc. should be a very good core of players.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

tl;dr "Added Vanbiesbrouck: 'I do believe (Hughes) is in the category with Matthews and Eichel, and he might be able to set his own category.'"

HYPE!

I'm not sure we'll get Hughes next year, but piggy backing off my last point, I think we'll have a really good chance. We'll have a shot at the number one, and likely a top 5 pick, so regardless, we should be getting a very good player in what is expected to be another very good, top heavy draft.

I'm definitely aboard the 2019 HYPE train though. Fortunately, I don't expect this to be a long rebuild. With a bit of luck and some shrewd moves by our GM, I think we could be right back in the mix in the next 2-3 years...

30 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm with you.  Dropping dead weight (Z, Kronwall, Ericsson, etc) won't help anything if we just take on more baggage.  Team should have a white board like this:

This team is in huge need of (2) right handed scoring wingers.  Watching the Nashville Winnepeg series is frustrating because of the over abundance of good RH players each team has.  The Wings brass need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that a balance of handedness is extremely necessary.  Been saying this for years.  We are going to fix one hole and get our 1B dman, so that's good.  Could really use another couple years of high draft picks to fill the other big holes, tho.

A Jonas post I actually agree with for the most part... :tounge: especially the bolded.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Like every free agent class, most of these players will re-up with their current clubs. The few that may become available, probably won't end up in Detroit. And honestly I'm okay with that.

Sure. But even beyond the biggest names (almost all of whom will indeed re-up with their respective teams), there is a s*** ton of really good talent on that list. Jeff Skinner, for example, has always been underrated.

I don't want Holland to try to build a team through free agency, but, in theory at least, I'm down with adding a really good veteran or two to help augment our roster and maybe speed up the rebuild a wee bit.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Sure. But even beyond the biggest names (almost all of whom will indeed re-up with their respective teams), there is a s*** ton of really good talent on that list. Jeff Skinner, for example, has always been underrated.

I don't want Holland to try to build a team through free agency, but, in theory at least, I'm down with adding a really good veteran or two to help augment our roster and maybe speed up the rebuild a wee bit.

Absolutely. I agree. As long as they're players in the 26-28 range, and they're not going to cost an insane amount, I'm game for adding a high end UFA or two.

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I hope Kronwall has a strong, healthy final season. He will likely retire after this season. There's no way he should be offered another contract, and he definitely won't sign with another team.

I'd consider offering Howard another short, 2-3 year contract at a slightly lesser cap hit, depending on who else is available. We're going to need a stop gap goaltender before Larsson, Petruzzelli, or Fulcher are ready to make the jump.

Nyquist should be traded at next year's deadline. He should garner a decent return. Not as high as Tatar because he'll be a pending UFA, but you'd have to think he'd get us a 2nd round pick, at minimum.

Like every free agent class, most of these players will re-up with their current clubs. The few that may become available, probably won't end up in Detroit.

Kronwall needs to retire after next season. Good run, bow out.

Howard I wouldn't want to lock up that long. He may not even want the deal and want to test free agency. I'm sure he'd like to win a Cup, even if it's as a backup. One more season at half his current salary simply for stop gap if absolutely necessary if he can't be traded at the deadline. He's not an irreplaceable goalie we need to hold on to until he retires. There are goalies floating around the league that are younger that bring what he brings. Love to get Grubauer to come in and split with Jimmy next season then take over in 2019-20, but that's wishful thinking. A few teams will be after him.

Agreed on Nyquist, but I think a second is max return. Tatar has been a healthy scratch for all but 4 playoff games, and teams will look at what they gave up to get one of the two from Detroit. Right now, Vegas overpaid massively. But they could afford to roll the dice. Other teams can't and won't.

Yep. The big names are usually always re-signed. Bobrovsky is a UFA after next season, but expect him to be locked up before that. Rinne as well.

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Agree with Kronwall and Howard. Nyquist will get us a first rounder back.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed on Nyquist, but I think a second is max return. Tatar has been a healthy scratch for all but 4 playoff games, and teams will look at what they gave up to get one of the two from Detroit. Right now, Vegas overpaid massively. But they could afford to roll the dice. Other teams can't and won't.

You're undervaluing Nyquist. At the TDL, there will be a playoff team who will be looking to make a run and will want to add offense without adding term.  A first round pick is what a 2nd line forward will get you.

20 hours ago, Dabura said:

Squad_Goals.png

She's a 6 at best.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're undervaluing Nyquist. At the TDL, there will be a playoff team who will be looking to make a run and will want to add offense without adding term.  A first round pick is what a 2nd line forward will get you.

She's a 6 at best.

Maybe. Would be nice.

Yeah, other chick is hotter.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, F.Michael said:

IMHO - I'd stay away from any of the 30-something year old UFAs...The last thing this team needs is giving guys 7 year deals worth $8 plus million per season only for them to have their nagging issues of seasons past rear their ugly heads while they're with us.

I'd just assume to suck, and continue to rebuild via the draft.

I'm just saying there should be a wealth of options next summer. Holland himself has said he's focusing on 2019 and 2020, that those are the years where we'll start to see significant roster turnover.

• By July of next year, the Wings will have cashed in a huge number of picks across the 2018 draft and the 2019 draft.
  • Holland could have a pretty good amount of cap space to work with.
  • There should be a bunch of attractive UFA options, even beyond the biggest names.
  • The trade market could present us with a great opportunity, one that cap space and a newly stocked prospect cupboard might actually make doable. (If all of those really good UFAs are going to get huge contracts, then many or most or all of the organizations handing out those contracts will have to make moves to free up the necessary cap space. Holland could be in a position to pounce.)
  • Zetterberg could retire.
  • Hronek, Cholowski, Rasmussen, et al. (Hughes/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson?) will legitimately be in the roster mix.

We're potentially looking at a perfect storm of awesome.

So. The plan for 2018-19: continue to suck, continue to rebuild through the draft. The plan for 2019-20: stop sucking, start being good again, but don't get impatient and go all in on a stupid playoff push. I believe that's how Holland and co. are approaching things.

Edited by Dabura

On 5/6/2018 at 12:15 AM, chaps80 said:

Maybe. Would be nice.

Yeah, other chick is hotter.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not at all. Not only is she been-there done-that, but she clearl is a controlling type. Christ, let a man look, aint hurtin nobody.

She could also stand to put on a dress... like the homwrecker there

Like. they're both pretty ugly. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Agree with Kronwall and Howard. Nyquist will get us a first rounder back.

I agree Nyquist will bring us more, but I honestly do not think Holland will trade him. Unless someone offers an overpayment like for Tatar.  I think he'll shop the likes of Helm and Glenny and AA, unless he is already dealt before TDL. As much as I have disliked the Nyquist contract, I am sure he would not be re-signed for anything larger, so if he hung around and re-upped for about $3M-$3.5M, I could live with his production.

Same goes with Howard. Unless someone is offering a deal we cannot refuse, evaluate what you have in the system that may take over the starting job, and then just re-sign Jimmy for a lot less compared to what he makes now and keep him as the B/U.  At $2M-$2.5M, Jimmy is more than worth having as a back up.

Edited by LeftWinger

On 5/8/2018 at 2:46 PM, LeftWinger said:

I agree Nyquist will bring us more, but I honestly do not think Holland will trade him. Unless someone offers an overpayment like for Tatar.  I think he'll shop the likes of Helm and Glenny and AA, unless he is already dealt before TDL. As much as I have disliked the Nyquist contract, I am sure he would not be re-signed for anything larger, so if he hung around and re-upped for about $3M-$3.5M, I could live with his production.

Same goes with Howard. Unless someone is offering a deal we cannot refuse, evaluate what you have in the system that may take over the starting job, and then just re-sign Jimmy for a lot less compared to what he makes now and keep him as the B/U.  At $2M-$2.5M, Jimmy is more than worth having as a back up.

I don't disagree.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, kickazz said:

Like. they're both pretty ugly. 

I don't disagree.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not at all. Not only is she been-there done-that, but she clearl is a controlling type. Christ, let a man look, aint hurtin nobody.

She could also stand to put on a dress... like the homwrecker there

I don't disagree.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:37 PM, DickieDunn said:

I don't have many expectations.  I have zero trust in Holland, any good moves are going to be a pleasant surprise.

Why? The Sheahan, Mrazek, Kindl, Wilson, and Tatar deals weren't good moves? 

On 5/10/2018 at 1:10 AM, kickazz said:

Still ugly. 

Yep. There's a reason why these guys are looking. There's definitely a pattern. Woof, woof.

I guess we should be talking OEL and Karlsson in this thread instead of the 2018 one. :lol:

The question is, could we afford BOTH via UFA come July 2019. Well, right now (before our RFA re-signs THIS summer) we are showing $35M available for 2019-2020. That is BEFORE the cap raises this summer (some say upwards of $83M.) It may go up a bit more come next summer too. If we could get Larkin and Mantha re-signed (this summer) for a nice bridge deal (lets say $4M) and instead of signing average UFA fillers and just brought up some kids on ELC's, we could possibly offer OEL and Karlsson upwards of $10M per season. I am thinking that AA is dealt at this draft, although I am a big fan, I don't think Holland is going to fool around with him this summer. He has to get people sign that want nothing less than to be here and make this franchise great again. Mantha, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Frk... We don't have the time for AA's shenanigans this summer. He is arbitration eligible, but we may as well just deal him before he is able to go to arbitration. He'll probably get a deal that he'll hate and be disgruntled all year long. Of course still not sure if Z is going to play after next year, so we may get a nice LTIR relief there too.

Permanently promote Ras, Svech, Smith, Cholowski, Hronek and a young G to back up whoever is starting in 2019. That could possibly be Howard at a VERY reduced rate. I am sure Jimmy would just as well finish his career out here, and at something like $2M to $3M that wouldn't be a bad thing, especially if a young G on an ELC proves he can handle the NHL.

Edited by LeftWinger

Bump.

Like I noted in another thread, the Wings could have a ton of cap space next summer. I expect us to go HAM for Erik Karlsson. Assuming Zetterberg is done after this year, I'd also expect us to sniff around for a centerman.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2019/ufa/

Is Karlsson a pipe dream? Prolly. But I doubt many teams are going to be in a position to offer him the kind of contract he'll be looking for ($11M+ per, using the Doughty deal as a comparable). We could be one of the few teams that could make it work.

It's early days, of course. But atm I'm liking the idea of trading a forward or two + a defense prospect for Oscar Klefbom.

Ericsson  Karlsson
Klefbom  Green
DeKeyser  Hronek