• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Official 2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Red Wings Hire Naurato For Player Development Role

Didn't see this posted yet. I was expecting to pop in here and see a buncha crappy anime jokes, what with ya'll and ur silly cartoons.

something something something hokage... something something ninjas.

11 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

He's good, but is he worth his latest contract?

I question whether, or not a GM wants to add that financial behemoth to their roster.

Yeah, probably one of the reasons he's a Hab lifer lol

This last season was BAD for him, which is making the contract look worse. But he's had health issues and he'll probably bounce back. Cap hit is probably high, but it's the term I really disagree with though.

I wish Bergevin and his multiple massive hit/term contracts all the best of luck lol

After trading Nyquist at this seasons TDL, I can actually see Holland re-upping Gus in the summer, at a reduced rate for sure.

Would you be ok with Nyquist for a round $3M-$3.5M for a couple of seasons to help the rebuild along?

I guess I'd be ok with it as long as Vanek, Kronwall and Howard are not back. I like Vanek, and he may get near 30 this season, but at some point we ARE going to have to go with a few more kids. Especially if we luck into a top 5 pick*. I do see Holland re-upping Witko to act as the #13/14 forward, that is fine as well.

*Again here is Craig Button's top 5 early picks for 2019 draft. ANY of which would make us better!

1. Jack Hughes

electrifying and dynamic player … has ability to be a difference-maker … very elusive … attacks lanes … always a step ahead … plays smart, ISS Hockey 2017

2. Dylan Cozens

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-cozens-hockey-gold-medal-hlinka-gretzky-1.4784191

3. Philip Broberg

He has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard, Craig Button - TSN 2018

4. Kappo Kakko

https://www.nhl.com/news/kaapo-kakko-top-european-prospect-for-2019-nhl-draft/c-299637312

5. Vasili Podkolzin

He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player, Craig Button - TSN 2018

46 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

After trading Nyquist at this seasons TDL, I can actually see Holland re-upping Gus in the summer, at a reduced rate for sure.

Would you be ok with Nyquist for a round $3M-$3.5M for a couple of seasons to help the rebuild along?

I guess I'd be ok with it as long as Vanek, Kronwall and Howard are not back. I like Vanek, and he may get near 30 this season, but at some point we ARE going to have to go with a few more kids. Especially if we luck into a top 5 pick*. I do see Holland re-upping Witko to act as the #13/14 forward, that is fine as well.

I'd be okay with re-signing Nyquist after trading him at the deadline. However, if we do, it would not be at a reduced rate, and wouldn't be as low as $3M-$3.5M. I'm kind of surprised that you'd be open to the idea of re-signing him, but not at all surprised that you think he's only worth a fraction of what he's currently making.

If Nyquist makes it to unrestricted free agency, assuming he has another 45+ point season, I think he'll get offers for slightly more than he's making now from several teams. He's not going to take a pay cut. If anything, he'll be looking for a raise. I can see him signing a long term contract somewhere in the neighborhood of what he's making now (6 years, $30M).

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be okay with re-signing Nyquist after trading him at the deadline. However, if we do, it would not be at a reduced rate, and wouldn't be as low as $3M-$3.5M. I'm kind of surprised that you'd be open to the idea of re-signing him, but not at all surprised that you think he's only worth a fraction of what he's currently making.

If Nyquist makes it to unrestricted free agency, assuming he has another 45+ point season, I think he'll get offers for slightly more than he's making now from several teams. He's not going to take a pay cut. If anything, he'll be looking for a raise. I can see him signing a long term contract somewhere in the neighborhood of what he's making now (6 years, $30M).

Ya, then no thanks. Moving on...

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, then no thanks. Moving on...

It seems like ur only interested in re-signing guys if they play for peanuts. You can't fill your roster that way. You prefer to play more kids instead, but only if they play for peanuts too. At what point are the players supposed to get paid?

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It seems like ur only interested in re-signing guys if they play for peanuts. You can't fill your roster that way. You prefer to play more kids instead, but only if they play for peanuts too. At what point are the players supposed to get paid?

Nyquist has been paid handsomely and hasn't really earned it. Factoring in a "hometown" discount, I don't think $3.5M is too little.

Kids get paid after they prove it. This is not the Edmonton Oilers.

In no way is $3.5M peanuts. But if some team wants to give a player $5M who can barely score 20 goals, then more power to them. No thank you here.

Nyquist at $3.5M Good, Nyquist at $5M Bowel Inducing. Loose ones at that!

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

To be fair, I don't think I'd want to re-sign Nyquist to 6x$5M either. I think he's worth that money to a lot of teams, but I just don't think it would make a ton of sense for this team. If we're spending that kind of money in free agency next offseason, I hope it's for a top 4 defenseman, not a top 6 winger.

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Nyquist has been paid handsomely and hasn't really earned it. Factoring in a "hometown" discount, I don't think $3.5M is too little.

In no way is $3.5M peanuts. But if some team wants to give a player $5M who can barely score 20 goals, then more power to them. No thank you here.

The quicker you understand market value and that players get paid more than they did 10 years ago, the easier it'll be for all of us. The rule of thumb is $1M per 10 points scored. I expect Nyquist to have a bounce back year this season (contract year), and hit 50+ points again. Assuming he does that, $5M is not at all an overpayment. Nyquist is more than a 30-35 point scorer, therefore he will definitely get more that $3M-$3.5M on the open market.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The quicker you understand market value and that players get paid more than they did 10 years ago, the easier it'll be for all of us. The rule of thumb is $1M per 10 points scored. I expect Nyquist to have a bounce back year this season (contract year), and hit 50+ points again. Assuming he does that, $5M is not at all an overpayment. Nyquist is more than a 30-35 point scorer, therefore he will definitely get more that $3M-$3.5M on the open market.

Good on him.

I'm paying my Franchise player, current #1 center and future Captain $6.1M, there is no way in snowville that I am giving Nyquist anywhere near $5M. Using that logic, Mantha should be at $4.8M and AA at $3.3M, Helm should have to give money back.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Pretty much. The market dictates a players value. And the market says Nyquist is a 5 mil player. 

In regards to re-signing Nyquist, I would be OK with it. this team needs 2 top pair D. The likelihood of getting one via free agency is small. The likelihood that there are 2 top pair D in the system is also remote. At least one will have to be acquired thru trade. Guys like Nyquist, Daley, and Helm won't get you that. It will require a young scoring line forward going back., which leaves a hole. F is an area of strength in the system right now, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone who's still relatively young like Nyquist re-signed to fill out the roster. There are other older F who should be let go instead.

41 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree. But even young, unproven players have value. It is quite often determined by projection, not accomplishments, as they have not yet acquired them. And guys like Mantha, AA, and Larkin are not  unproven. Larkin's contract is more than fair based on his production and market value now. The value of that contract only rises as market prices rise over the next 5 years. Nothing wrong with wanting to get a good value, but when we set what we're willing to pay way too low, we end up with nothing. Gotta be willing to spend to get what you want/need. I think $3 a gallon is too much to spend on gas, but if I'm not willing to pay it, I'm not going anywhere.

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Good on him.

I'm paying my Franchise player, current #1 center and future Captain $6.1M, there is no way in snowville that I am giving Nyquist anywhere near $5M. Using that logic, Mantha should be at $4.8M and AA at $3.3M, Helm should have to give money back.

Larkin = RFA

Nyquist = UFA

UFA salaries > RFA salaries

27 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Good on him.

Ok, maybe you should understand the difference between signing a contract as an RFA and UFA first. What do you think Larkin will be making on his next deal? How about Mantha when he hits UFA? Assuming they continue on an upward trajectory, they'll be making much more than they currently are now.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 22.32.09.png

Edited by Prolix

27 minutes ago, Prolix said:

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 22.32.09.png

...and?

He'll be 29 before this season starts IN OCTOBER, then he'll be 30 before next season starts IN OCTOBER 2019, which is what I said. Test your math 2019-1989? Ya, equals 30.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Plus he'll be 30 at the start of next season. $5M, nah....pass. Forget the whole idea I brought up.

PLUS the term "hometown discount" doesn't only apply to players born in the area, it is, a lot of times applied to players that were drafted by a team, brought up through their system and still play for the team when they become a UFA. Lidstrom gave us hometown discounts all the time.

Edited by LeftWinger

I've mentioned before around here that I go fishing with an Islanders scout about once a year. I used some connections to dip my toe a lil bit into the scouting world about two years back when I was on hiatus from this website. Never found an industry more built on who you know, and gave up very quickly. Glad to see Toronto doing things like this, wish the Red Wings would to:

Dlef59UV4AAgpGj?format=jpg

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've mentioned before around here that I go fishing with an Islanders scout about once a year. I used some connections to dip my toe a lil bit into the scouting world about two years back when I was on hiatus from this website. Never found an industry more built on who you know, and gave up very quickly. Glad to see Toronto doing things like this, wish the Red Wings would to:

Dlef59UV4AAgpGj?format=jpg

Noelle Needham at Minn St

Image result for noelle needham

She is a RH shot. Get on the phone Ken.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Noelle Needham at Minn St

Image result for noelle needham

She is a RH shot. Get on the phone Ken.

Exactly. Smart on the Leafs part. We talk a lot about Yzerman, but Shanahan's crew continues to shine as well. We may have hung on to Holland and Develano for too long.