• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Official 2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Exactly. Smart on the Leafs part. We talk a lot about Yzerman, but Shanahan's crew continues to shine as well. We may have hung on to Holland and Develano for too long.

I applaud the Leafs progressiveness. And I like this Dubas kid. 

I am not, however, ready to climb onto the lap of this supposed genius Leafs turnaround. 

Fist off, it's been 5 decades of suffering and epic mismanagement with a few bright spots sprinkled in here and there to string their fans along. 5 DECADES

Secondly, what have they actually done? Sucked enough to get Mathews and didn't get Buffalo'd that draft year?  Finally convinced ONE hometown boy to leave his s***-show of an organization (who by the way under Lamoriello have actually made some great moves themselves) and come home after striking out on many others over the years? Babcock? Please

Nothing p1sses me off more than Wings fans who do a same-sentence praise of Leafs management while sh1tting on the Wings management. Logic? Wings have been average for what, 6 or 7 years? Sucked for two? vs 50 years of futility? And Holland is already turning it around. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm not quite as bitter as you, but I share your sentiment on Toronto.  Until they win, people need to settle down.

Not bitter. Just fatigued. As a Canadian I have to deal with the Leafs being shoved down my throat 24-7. It bums me out to have to hear it from Wings fans now too. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

As a Canadian I have to deal with the Leafs being shoved down my throats 24-7. 

What kind of leaves? Palmately compound or pinnately compound? 

Edited by kickazz

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I applaud the Leafs progressiveness. And I like this Dubas kid. 

I am not, however, ready to climb onto the lap of this supposed genius Leafs turnaround. 

Fist off, it's been 5 decades of suffering and epic mismanagement with a few bright spots sprinkled in here and there to string their fans along. 5 DECADES

Secondly, what have they actually done? Sucked enough to get Mathews and didn't get Buffalo'd that draft year?  Finally convinced ONE hometown boy to leave his s***-show of an organization (who by the way under Lamoriello have actually made some great moves themselves) and come home after striking out on many others over the years? Babcock? Please

Nothing p1sses me off more than Wings fans who do a same-sentence praise of Leafs management while sh1tting on the Wings management. Logic? Wings have been average for what, 6 or 7 years? Sucked for two? vs 50 years of futility? And Holland is already turning it around. 

They got Babs

So, since this season already seems to be a wash, I am thinking ahead to the TDL and free agency next summer.

Pending UFA's: Vanek, Nyquist, Kronwall, Jensen, Witkowski, Howard

Pending RFA's: Frk, Hicketts

Vanek and Nyquist both have NTC, so they aren't going anywhere at the TDL, no matter how much you want to trade them. And no, I don't think they waive them to get off this team, although anything is possible. If Nyquist waives it, and you can trade him, do it.  But, Vanek will leave via free agency and will not be brought back. Nyquist could be re-signed to a 3 year deal.

Kronwall has a modified NTC, but there is no way they trade him, even if one of the 10 teams on his list come calling. It's not their style. He will retire at the end of the season as a Red Wing.

Witkowski could be traded, but I doubt there is any interest. He won't be re-signed.

Jensen and Howard are the 2 most likely trade candidates. Neither have NTC/NMC protection. They both have replacements on the roster. They should be traded if there is any interest. Either could be re-signed as free agents in the off season, Jensen to a 2 year deal, and Howard to a 2-3 year deal.

Frk and Hicketts should only be brought back if there is a roster spot available.

2019 Signed F (11): Larkin, Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Mantha, AA, Glendening, Bertuzzi, Rass, Ehn, Svech.

That leaves 3 spots. One for Zadina, and the other 2 for either Nyquist or Frk. (Unless of course the Wings manage to win the lottery and get Hughes 1st overall)

2019 Signed D (6): Green , DD, Cholowski, Daley, E, Hronek.

That leaves only 1 spot. I would re-sign Hicketts to be a "tweener" and try to re-sign Jensen to a 2 year deal as a 3rd pair D to give the team another RH D. Sulak is another option.

When all is said and done, this roster won't look much different than it does this year.

Forwards:

Larkin, Mantha, Zadina

Nielsen, Rass, Nyquist

AA, Bert, Svech

Abby, Glendening, Helm

Ehn/Frk 

(G. Smith, Turgeon)

Defense:

Cholowski, Green

Daley, Hronek

E, DD

Jensen 

(Hicketts, Sulak)

Goalies:

Howard

Bernier

(Sateri)

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So, since this season already seems to be a wash, I am thinking ahead to the TDL and free agency next summer.

Pending UFA's: Vanek, Nyquist, Kronwall, Jensen, Witkowski, Howard

Pending RFA's: Frk, Hicketts

Vanek and Nyquist both have NTC, so they aren't going anywhere at the TDL, no matter how much you want to trade them. And no, I don't think they waive them to get off this team, although anything is possible. If Nyquist waives it, and you can trade him, do it.  But, Vanek will leave via free agency and will not be brought back. Nyquist could be re-signed to a 3 year deal.

Kronwall has a modified NTC, but there is no way they trade him, even if one of the 10 teams on his list come calling. It's not their style. He will retire at the end of the season as a Red Wing.

Witkowski could be traded, but I doubt there is any interest. He won't be re-signed.

Jensen and Howard are the 2 most likely trade candidates. Neither have NTC/NMC protection. They both have replacements on the roster. They should be traded if there is any interest. Either could be re-signed as free agents in the off season, Jensen to a 2 year deal, and Howard to a 2-3 year deal.

Frk and Hicketts should only be brought back if there is a roster spot available.

2019 Signed F (11): Larkin, Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Mantha, AA, Glendening, Bertuzzi, Rass, Ehn, Svech.

That leaves 3 spots. One for Zadina, and the other 2 for either Nyquist or Frk. (Unless of course the Wings manage to win the lottery and get Hughes 1st overall)

2019 Signed D (6): Green , DD, Cholowski, Daley, E, Hronek.

That leaves only 1 spot. I would re-sign Hicketts to be a "tweener" and try to re-sign Jensen to a 2 year deal as a 3rd pair D to give the team another RH D. Sulak is another option.

When all is said and done, this roster won't look much different than it does this year.

Forwards:

Larkin, Mantha, Zadina

Nielsen, Rass, Nyquist

AA, Bert, Svech

Abby, Glendening, Helm

Ehn/Frk 

(G. Smith, Turgeon)

Defense:

Cholowski, Green

Daley, Hronek

E, DD

Jensen 

(Hicketts, Sulak)

Goalies:

Howard

Bernier

(Sateri)

Would not care at all if Frk or Hicks were allowed to walk away.

How do people feel about Matt Duchene in free agency?  He's having a monster year in Ottawa, but his track record suggests he's a good, not great, player.  Super fast, very offensively capable, and would fill us out down the middle for a few years at potentially a reasonable cap hit. 

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

How do people feel about Matt Duchene in free agency?  He's having a monster year in Ottawa, but his track record suggests he's a good, not great, player.  Super fast, very offensively capable, and would fill us out down the middle for a few years at potentially a reasonable cap hit. 

What do you consider a "reasonable cap hit" though? I think he could easily get 7 years at $8M... and for that price, I'd probably pass. This team shouldn't be looking for any quick fixes. Continue to rebuild through the draft and if a sign or trade for a player under 24 makes sense, go for it. I wouldn't be looking at any big money players in the 28+ range, and that includes Erik Karlsson.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What do you consider a "reasonable cap hit" though? I think he could easily get 7 years at $8M... and for that price, I'd probably pass. This team shouldn't be looking for any quick fixes. Continue to rebuild through the draft and if a sign or trade for a player under 24 makes sense, go for it. I wouldn't be looking at any big money players in the 28+ range, and that includes Erik Karlsson.

Yah, Karlsson has really taken a nose dive on the max term max money list.  I still would LOVE Stone at 10 mil per.  That guy is worth all of it.

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I have no desire to sign Matt Duchene. I would bet that he ends up signing a massive contract that in 3 years whomever signs him is going to be looking to dump. All the warning signs are there. The last 3 seasons the guy has been roughly a 0.5 - 0.7 PPG type players, and now in a contract year he is scoring over a point per game. What this tell me me is that he is a talented player who struggles with motivation, and its been pretty well documented that there are issues with his attitude. Now if we could get him for say 5x5, I'd take him in a second, but I think @krsmith17 is right and he will go for 8mx7.

The other thing about him, is its one thing to be scoring like this on a basement team, I'm not sold he would be doing it on a top team. I remember back when we acquired Lang, guy was leading the NHL in points on a garbage Washington team. He was getting a ton of minutes, all the top PP time, and had the ability to play to score often because his team was always playing catch up. Once he comes to Detroit, his PPG dropped dramatically. This screams that type of situation to me. I get this anecdotal evidence, but that's what my gut tells me.

There aren't many guys in the NHL making 8 million per, so that's probably reaching a bit. Given his track record and comparables (Ryan O'Reilly for instance) he'll probably make around 6.5-7, which is pretty much fair value. I'd be way more worried about the kind of term he would get than the actual salary considering how many ELCs and bridge deals we'll have on the books over the next couple years.

Edited by kipwinger

34 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/01/red-wings-set-high-asking-price-for-gustav-nyquist-jimmy-howard.html

Appears they want to re-sign Nyquist and Howard which does not surprise me since they're not going to get any first rounders for them.

I didn't see Abdelkader mentioned in that article.  My guess is his contract is so bad that no team wants to touch it.  

Datsyuk returning to the NHL, and potentially the Red Wings, is in the news again today.  His agent, Dan Milstein mentioned Detroit by name.  He could be our new Larionov.  I'd throw 3 years, 4 million per at him.

Bert-Larkin-AA

Zadina-Datsyuk-Rasmussen

Mantha-Zegras-Svech

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Datsyuk returning to the NHL, and potentially the Red Wings, is in the news again today.  His agent, Dan Milstein mentioned Detroit by name.  He could be our new Larionov.  I'd throw 3 years, 4 million per at him.

You'd sign a 41 year old to a THREE! year contract??? Why? So we can trade him back to Arizona again after a year because he wants to "go back home to be closer to his daughter"...?

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

You'd sign a 41 year old to a THREE! year contract??? Why? So we can trade him back to Arizona again after a year because he wants to "go back home to be closer to his daughter"...?

At 4 million dollar?  Sure, why not?  Best case scenario he's another Larionov and gives you good minutes as a 3rd liner.  Worst case, you put him on IR for the last year or two.  I'd only do it if I drafted a top center in this year's draft though.  Our center depth is trash.  Having Datsyuk for the next 3 years @ 4 million is better than having Z for the next three years @ 6 million.  Still think he's provide good value on the PP.

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

At 4 million dollar?  Sure, why not?  Best case scenario he's another Larionov and gives you good minutes as a 3rd liner.  Worst case, you put him on IR for the last year or two.  I'd only do it if I drafted a top center in this year's draft though.  Our center depth is trash.  Having Datsyuk for the next 3 years @ 4 million is better than having Z for the next three years @ 6 million.  Still think he's provide good value on the PP.

IF we get a top center in this year's draft, I'd rather run with Larkin, *Hughes*, Veleno as our top 3 centers. I highly doubt Datsyuk will make a return, but IF he did, I'd consider a one year contract at around the same cap hit. Three years just seems like a waste, and I doubt he'd even be looking for that sort of term.

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

IF we get a top center in this year's draft, I'd rather run with Larkin, *Hughes*, Veleno as our top 3 centers. I highly doubt Datsyuk will make a return, but IF he did, I'd consider a one year contract at around the same cap hit. Three years just seems like a waste, and I doubt he'd even be looking for that sort of term.

Zero chance veleno won’t be in Grand Rapids next season ... I don’t know if I believe this whole datsyuk nonsense again coming out but if it were a 1 year deal I’d go up to 5 mill MAX depending on our cap situation ,don’t see the harm in getting him back and see how he plays if anything that is the type of guy I want the kids to learn from and talk to everyday at the rink not the Nielsen,abdelkader and this specimen known as vanek 

datsyuk cantering a 3rd line with a few kids with potential is what I would be thinking of .... I had zadina in my mind playing with Larkin if he made the team but I think zadina on a third line next to datsyuk is what would be the best longterm for the kid to look at how datsyuk plays and hustles and plays great two way hockey and would make him a better player longterm and we’d benefit 

No Datsyuk reunion tour plz, especially if there's the potential for weirdness in the locker room. Let's not forget that Datsyuk basically bailed on this team.

This is Larkin's team now. Let him officially take over next season. Wave goodbye to Kronwall and conclude the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Kronwall chapter of this franchise's history. No geriatric retreads. Move forward.

55 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Zero chance veleno won’t be in Grand Rapids next season ... I don’t know if I believe this whole datsyuk nonsense again coming out but if it were a 1 year deal I’d go up to 5 mill MAX depending on our cap situation ,don’t see the harm in getting him back and see how he plays if anything that is the type of guy I want the kids to learn from and talk to everyday at the rink not the Nielsen,abdelkader and this specimen known as vanek 

datsyuk cantering a 3rd line with a few kids with potential is what I would be thinking of .... I had zadina in my mind playing with Larkin if he made the team but I think zadina on a third line next to datsyuk is what would be the best longterm for the kid to look at how datsyuk plays and hustles and plays great two way hockey and would make him a better player longterm and we’d benefit 

I'd say chances are, he'll start next season in Grand Rapids, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he made his way up to Detroit full time at some point next season. I also wouldn't be surprised if he made the team out of camp, considering he looked close to ready at the beginning of this season.

We'll see, but I'd definitely give it more than a "zero" percent chance...

31 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd say chances are, he'll start next season in Grand Rapids, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he made his way up to Detroit full time at some point next season. I also wouldn't be surprised if he made the team out of camp, considering he looked close to ready at the beginning of this season.

We'll see, but I'd definitely give it more than a "zero" percent chance...

I’d be STUNNED if he made this team from camp I’m not expecting it , think everyone’s over evaluating this kid cause he’s putting up numbers in the q ... he’s gonna spend a year down maybe two depending how his first season goes , that’s my opinion which is worth nothing but we’ll see what happens 

Someone no one talks about is chase Pearson, hoping he goes to Grand Rapids next season and has a real good year and help contribute soon enough (gonna be 22 in August so guessing it’s Grand Rapids time) 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

No Datsyuk reunion tour plz, especially if there's the potential for weirdness in the locker room. Let's not forget that Datsyuk basically bailed on this team.

This is Larkin's team now. Let him officially take over next season. Wave goodbye to Kronwall and conclude the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Kronwall chapter of this franchise's history. No geriatric retreads. Move forward.

What if this geriatric is better than most of the guys we have ? Lol I’m all for kronwall leaving but I’d rather get rid of Nielsen’s contract and bring in datsyuk even at 41 any day of the week, might not put up 80 pts again but I think he can get 45-50 as a 3rd liner with ppl time and kids can learn from the guy .... if jagr can put up 46 pts as a 44-45 yr old datsyuk can definetly play now and I’d rather have datsyuk come back as a redwing than play with another teams jersey on him

will we make the playoffs ? Probably not with or without him but rather have the next wave of kids learning from him than abdelkader/vanek/Nielsen ... but I’d give him a one year contract and nothing more , no kovalchuk 3 yr bs