• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Official 2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

What if this geriatric is better than most of the guys we have ?

He was really starting to show his age in his final couple of seasons with the Wings. That was several years ago.

Unless we're planning on launching an all-out assault on the league and loading up for a record-setting 2020 Cup run, I've less than zero interest in bringing Datsyuk back.

11 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I’d be STUNNED if he made this team from camp I’m not expecting it , think everyone’s over evaluating this kid cause he’s putting up numbers in the q ... he’s gonna spend a year down maybe two depending how his first season goes , that’s my opinion which is worth nothing but we’ll see what happens

• Had an impressive training camp in the fall
  • Made the Canadian WJC team
  • Has been torching the QMJHL
  • Outstanding skater
  • The rare teenage forward who scores a ton while also playing a pretty good 200-foot game
  • 6'1-195ish

I'm with krsmith: I don't think he's going to spend the standard 2 years in Grand Rapids. He's a much better prospect than we're used to having in the pipeline, roughly comparable to the player Larkin was at his age.

50 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

What if this geriatric is better than most of the guys we have ? Lol I’m all for kronwall leaving but I’d rather get rid of Nielsen’s contract and bring in datsyuk even at 41 any day of the week, might not put up 80 pts again but I think he can get 45-50 as a 3rd liner with ppl time and kids can learn from the guy .... if jagr can put up 46 pts as a 44-45 yr old datsyuk can definetly play now and I’d rather have datsyuk come back as a redwing than play with another teams jersey on him

will we make the playoffs ? Probably not with or without him but rather have the next wave of kids learning from him than abdelkader/vanek/Nielsen ... but I’d give him a one year contract and nothing more , no kovalchuk 3 yr bs 

I agree with the idea of bringing back Datsyuk. But I dont think he'd be much of a mentor. First, there's the language barrier, which has always been an obstacle for him and made him rather timid and sheepish. And second, you can't teach 'Datsyuk'. He has a gift. You can't teach that. Don't know that he was ever much of a locker room guy either. 

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

46 minutes ago, Dabura said:

He was really starting to show his age in his final couple of seasons with the Wings. That was several years ago.

Unless we're planning on launching an all-out assault on the league and loading up for a record-setting 2020 Cup run, I've less than zero interest in bringing Datsyuk back.

Well even as he slowed down he hit 65 and 49 pts, if he can hit 45-50 with his great two way play which I think he could I’d take that in a heart beat especially if meant seeing him put on another jersey ... he’s not your typical 40 yr old player 

anyways I think this is all bs by his agent , probably trying to stir stuff up so Putin gives him his money lmao

25 minutes ago, Dabura said:
  • Outstanding skater
  • The rare teenage forward who scores a ton while also playing a pretty good 200-foot game
  • 6'1-195ish

I'm with krsmith: I don't think he's going to spend the standard 2 years in Grand Rapids. He's a much better prospect than we're used to having in the pipeline, roughly comparable to the player Larkin was at his age.

Unimpressive with team canada ... torching the qmjhl which isn’t as good a league as the ohl and whl , that’s just the facts 

will he play in the nhl? I think so but I’m not expect him to be this big dominate force as some people are expecting cause of his numbers and I do suspect he will start in Grand Rapids and unless he’s torching up the ahl he will stay there and harness his two way game all season long, and unless he really goes nuts in the next seasons pre season games he will start down again

could be wrong , I hope he’s a superstar but that’s just what I’m expecting ... and I wouldn’t be comparing veleno to Larkin just yet 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I agree with the idea of bringing back Datsyuk. But I dont think he'd be much of a mentor. First, there's the language barrier, which has always been a barrier for him. And second, you can't teach 'Datsyuk'. He has a gift. You can't teach that. Don't know that he was ever much of a locker room guy either. 

Pretty sure after all these years he can speak some English and get by lol it’s been said he doesn’t like speaking in English in front of the cameras too much cause he doesn’t think he sounds good 

He has a gift yes but if younger guys like zadina can see this old man back check and hustle and create scoring chances and producing , kids might be like holy crap this old mans embarrassing me I’d better hustle and step up and stop being a lazy little sh*t

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I’d be STUNNED if he made this team from camp I’m not expecting it , think everyone’s over evaluating this kid cause he’s putting up numbers in the q ... he’s gonna spend a year down maybe two depending how his first season goes , that’s my opinion which is worth nothing but we’ll see what happens

Most people that are high on Veleno feel that his dominance in the Q is a small part of the reason he could make the team out of camp next season. It's more so how he looked in training camp / pre-season this past fall. He was the best player on the ice most nights. He's an elite skater, great puck-handler and passer and had an extremely high hockey IQ.

48 minutes ago, Dabura said:
  • Outstanding skater
  • 6'1-195ish

Yeah, pretty much this.

26 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Unimpressive with team canada ... torching the qmjhl which isn’t as good a league as the ohl and whl , that’s just the facts 

will he play in the nhl? I think so but I’m not expect him to be this big dominate force as some people are expecting cause of his numbers and I do suspect he will start in Grand Rapids and unless he’s torching up the ahl he will stay there and harness his two way game all season long, and unless he really goes nuts in the next seasons pre season games he will start down again

could be wrong , I hope he’s a superstar but that’s just what I’m expecting ... and I wouldn’t be comparing veleno to Larkin just yet 

Unimpressive in the WJC? He was an 18 year old, playing in a 19 year old dominated tournament. Not a single 18 year old forward made team Canada the year before. The fact that he made the team, is an accomplishment in itself. He got limited ice time, didn't look out of place and still managed to put up a couple points.

You can downplay the Q all you want, and I agree to an extent, but he's still outscoring every other player in that league. He's been very impressive.

Who do you hear saying he'll be a "dominate force" or a "superstar"? Even the people that are the highest on him (I'm probably one of them) say that he'll likely be a very good 2C. That's far from a superstar, and I certainly don't expect him to dominant next season, if he does make the team. 

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Someone no one talks about is chase Pearson, hoping he goes to Grand Rapids next season and has a real good year and help contribute soon enough (gonna be 22 in August so guessing it’s Grand Rapids time) 

I like Chase Pearson too, but I doubt he'll ever be anything more than a 4th line center at the NHL level. That's if he makes it. I see him similarly to Dom Turgeon, and he's still struggling to make an impact with the Griffins, let alone crack the Wings lineup full time.

28 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I'm not necessarily saying he'll be a dominant pro right away, I'm just saying all the signs point to him having a shorter Griffins career than the average Wings prospect. Typically a Wings prospect has one or two key areas they need to drastically improve before they get serious consideration for full-timer status, and typically it takes them a couple of years on the farm to sort that all out. Veleno's ahead of the standard curve in most areas, so I don't really see any reason to assume it'll be a while before he gets to the NHL. I'd say a year at most.

I could be wrong, of course.

43 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Well even as he slowed down he hit 65 and 49 pts, if he can hit 45-50 with his great two way play which I think he could I’d take that in a heart beat especially if meant seeing him put on another jersey ... he’s not your typical 40 yr old player

41 years old (in July)!
Slow!
Hasn't played NHL hockey in two years!
Bailed on the team and f***ed off to Russia!
Is part of the old leadership group that we're so close to being done with!
Why is this even a thing?!

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Most people that are high on Veleno feel that his dominance in the Q is a small part of the reason he could make the team out of camp next season. It's more so how he looked in training camp / pre-season this past fall. He was the best player on the ice most nights. He's an elite skater, great puck-handler and passer and had an extremely high hockey IQ.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Unimpressive in the WJC? He was an 18 year old, playing in a 19 year old dominated tournament. Not a single 18 year old forward made team Canada the year before. The fact that he made the team, is an accomplishment in itself. He got limited ice time, didn't look out of place and still managed to put up a couple points.

You can downplay the Q all you want, and I agree to an extent, but he's still outscoring every other player in that league. He's been very impressive.

Who do you hear saying he'll be a "dominate force" or a "superstar"? Even the people that are the highest on him (I'm probably one of them) say that he'll likely be a very good 2C. That's far from a superstar, and I certainly don't expect him to dominant next season, if he does make the team. 

I like Chase Pearson too, but I doubt he'll ever be anything more than a 4th line center at the NHL level. That's if he makes it. I see him similarly to Dom Turgeon, and he's still struggling to make an impact with the Griffins, let alone crack the Wings lineup full time.

Well I hope I’m wrong but again I don’t expect any greatness from veleno  ... as for him being impressive in the q you realise this is his 4th season ? I’d be much more impressed if it were his first or second ... if your at your 4th season in juniors you’d better dominate or your just a bust 

anyways we’ll see what happens in his case in the next few years ... as for Pearson I got no delusions as to him being a star but I think he’ll make the league and I got hopes he can push for some 3rd line play , he’s got size and skill was named a captain at Maine So I think he can have leadership qualities from articles I’ve read , not holding it against him he’s 21 and not in the nhl some kids just wanna get their education rather than play an ahl season prior to making a run 

anyways same as veleno we’ll see what occurs with Pearson , time tells all 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I'm not necessarily saying he'll be a dominant pro right away, I'm just saying all the signs point to him having a shorter Griffins career than the average Wings prospect. Typically a Wings prospect has one or two key areas they need to drastically improve before they get serious consideration for full-timer status, and typically it takes them a couple of years on the farm to sort that all out. Veleno's ahead of the standard curve in most areas, so I don't really see any reason to assume it'll be a while before he gets to the NHL. I'd say a year at most.

I could be wrong, of course.

41 years old (in July)!
Slow!
Hasn't played NHL hockey in two years!
Bailed on the team and f***ed off to Russia!
Is part of the old leadership group that we're so close to being done with!
Why is this even a thing?!

Well obviously it’s points to that right off the bat when your a first round pick  , anyways like I just mentioned we’ll see what happens 

datsyuk doesn’t need to be super fast when he can pick pocket guys like it’s nobodys business, he’s an extremely smart player ... who gives a sh*t that he bailed on the team so he can be near his daughter , please don’t tell me your one of those idiots who think fedorov shouldn’t have his jersey raised to the rafters either cause he was a “traitor” 

part of the old leadership that actually won cups and helped us be top team for years? If the guy can contribute who gives a sh*t , if kronwall could still play and his knees weren’t a factor and he was hitting guys putting up 40 pts I wouldn’t give a crap he’s 38

anyways who gives a crap this is all bs by his agent anyways to get him a big deal in the khl I’m sure 

52 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

as for him being impressive in the q you realise this is his 4th season ? I’d be much more impressed if it were his first or second ... if your at your 4th season in juniors you’d better dominate or your just a bust

He received exceptional status exemption and entered the QMJHL as a 15 year old. First player in QMJHL history to get that exemption, in fact.

That's why he'll be AHL-eligible next season, as a 19 year old.

http://thepinkpuck.com/2014/09/09/age-eligibility-in-minor-league-hockey/

"Any player already playing for a team in the CHL when he is drafted will be ineligible to play for the minor professional leagues until he is 20 (by December 31st of that season) or has played four seasons in the CHL."

Just saying. Veleno's a really good prospect. He's at least as good as Rasmussen was at his age, and Rasmussen cracked the lineup one year after he was drafted. Maybe things go sideways for him. Maybe he doesn't amount to anything. But I'm choosing to expect good things from him, because I don't see any reasons not to.

Edited by Dabura

19 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

datsyuk doesn’t need to be super fast when he can pick pocket guys like it’s nobodys business, he’s an extremely smart player

I'm not saying he needs to be super fast. I'm saying his body was starting to fail him when he left the NHL and now it's two years later and the NHL's gotten younger and faster and the Wings are rebuilding and getting younger and faster and we've gone through this whole drama with saying goodbye to Zetterberg and preparing to say goodbye to Kronwall and now we're talking about bringing back a 90-year-old Datsyuk who's gonna be injured for three quarters of the season. I'm really not seeing the appeal here beyond "It's Datsyuk! (Let's parade his corpse around! This is how I want to remember him!)"

30 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

who gives a sh*t that he bailed on the team so he can be near his daughter

I give a s***. He signed a contract and he bailed on it.

32 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

please don’t tell me your one of those idiots who think fedorov shouldn’t have his jersey raised to the rafters either cause he was a “traitor”

Fedorov was a different situation; he'd served out his contract and chose to sign a new contract with a different organization. Datsyuk didn't leave in free agency, he left while still under contract. Holland had to trade his cap hit.

I think Fedorov's number should be retired. My understanding is Marian Ilitch doesn't feel the same way, and I'd say her opinion counts for something.

36 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

If the guy can contribute who gives a sh*t , if kronwall could still play and his knees weren’t a factor and he was hitting guys putting up 40 pts I wouldn’t give a crap he’s 38

But Kronwall's knee IS a factor and he ISN'T putting up 40 points. Similarly, Datsyuk isn't the player he was when he left. And this team isn't the team it was when he left. And this rebuild wasn't even a thing when he left.

I've seen him play post-NHL retirement. I don't think it's worth bringing him back. I don't think it makes any sense.

Fortunately, this is all probably bulls***, like you said. I really doubt it goes anywhere.

24 minutes ago, Dabura said:

He received exceptional status exemption and entered the QMJHL as a 15-year-old. First player in QMJHL history to get that exemption, in fact.

That's why he'll be AHL-eligible next season, as a 19 year old.

http://thepinkpuck.com/2014/09/09/age-eligibility-in-minor-league-hockey/

"Any player already playing for a team in the CHL when he is drafted will be ineligible to play for the minor professional leagues until he is 20 (by December 31st of that season) or has played four seasons in the CHL."

Just saying. Veleno's a really good prospect. He's at least as good as Rasmussen was at his age, and Rasmussen cracked the lineup one year after he was drafted. Maybe things go sideways for him. Maybe he doesn't amount to anything. But I'm choosing to expect good things from him, because I don't see any reasons not to.

Please don’t bring Rasmussen into this lol haven’t been a fan us drafting him since day 1 ... Rasmussen is here due to his size nothing else ... k maybe that’s an exaggeration but you get my point 

as for veleno I hope he becomes a star but I’m not gonna he blinded by stats, I hope for every player we draft to become a star ... we’ll just have to wait and see

45 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Well I hope I’m wrong but again I don’t expect any greatness from veleno  ... as for him being impressive in the q you realise this is his 4th season ? I’d be much more impressed if it were his first or second ... if your at your 4th season in juniors you’d better dominate or your just a bust 

Why do you keep throwing in words like "greatness" and "dominant" and "superstar". Literally no one has said or suggested any of this for Veleno. Like Dabura mentioned, it's his 4th season, only because he was granted exceptional status and entered the league a year early. It's still his draft +1 year, and he's been very impressive every step of the way since being drafted.

You'd be impressed if he put up 2 points per game in his first or second season? Well no s***. That's Crosby type production...

Just now, Dabura said:

I'm not saying he needs to be super fast. I'm saying his body was starting to fail him when he left the NHL and now it's two years later and the NHL's gotten younger and faster and the Wings are rebuilding and getting younger and faster and we've gone through this whole drama with saying goodbye to Zetterberg and preparing to say goodbye to Kronwall and now we're talking about bringing back a 90-year-old Datsyuk who's gonna be injured for three quarters of the season. I'm really not seeing the appeal here beyond "It's Datsyuk! (Let's parade his corpse around! This is how I want to remember him!)"

I give a s***. He signed a contract and he bailed on it.

Fedorov was a different situation; he'd served out his contract and chose to sign a new contract with a different organization. Datsyuk didn't leave in free agency, he left while still under contract. Holland had to trade his cap hit.

I think Fedorov's number should be retired. My understanding is Marian Ilitch doesn't feel the same way, and I'd say her opinion counts for something.

But Kronwall's knee IS a factor and he ISN'T putting up 40 points. Similarly, Datsyuk isn't the player he was when he left. And this team isn't the team it was when he left. And this rebuild wasn't even a thing when he left.

I've seen him play post-NHL retirement. I don't think it's worth bringing him back. I don't think it makes any sense.

Fortunately, this is all probably bulls***, like you said. I really doubt it goes anywhere.

Maybe playing a lighter schedule in the khl did his body good lol ... really think Your undervaluing what he’d be able to bring , if jagr could perform at 41-44 I wouldn’t bet my money against datsyuk 

boo hoo he bailed on us lol ... probably did us a favour him being here would have messed up our draft positions cause we’d beep just that bit better and we might have missed out on cholowski and hronek , Rasmussen? Maybe if he was here last year we’d get 11th pick and have no zadina and veleno ... everything happened for the better 

and who cares that he left to be with his daughter  ... you clearly have no kids 

marian illitch’s opinion counts for sh*t , she said probably holding a grudge on her husbands behalf , the fact his jersey isn’t up yet is a travesty 

Nobody is the player they were 5 years ago unless they’re still in their 20s what’s your point ? Doesn’t mean you can’t be a benefit to a hockey club  ... anyways yes like we’ve said this is all media bs most likely and if it weren’t I’d trade 34 yr old Nielsen for datsyuk in a heartbeat 

Just now, nyqvististhefuture said:

Please don’t bring Rasmussen into this lol haven’t been a fan us drafting him since day 1 ... Rasmussen is here due to his size nothing else ... k maybe that’s an exaggeration but you get my point 

as for veleno I hope he becomes a star but I’m not gonna he blinded by stats, I hope for every player we draft to become a star ... we’ll just have to wait and see

Fair enough.

The point I'm making about Veleno is that it isn't just the stats. It's the overall package. But, I mean, it's your right to feel the way you want to feel about him and I totally get not wanting to set your expectations too high. I think there's reason to be excited about him, but I've been wrong before... [stares off into the distance]

No hard feelings, my dude. Sometimes I pick fights over nothing. This probably counts as one of those times. lol

7 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

There you go again with the "star"... No one is saying he will become a star. You don't need to be a star to make a bad NHL team in your draft +1 year...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why do you keep throwing in words like "greatness" and "dominant" and "superstar". Literally no one has said or suggested any of this for Veleno. Like Dabura mentioned, it's his 4th season, only because he was granted exceptional status and entered the league a year early. It's still his draft +1 year, and he's been very impressive every step of the way since being drafted.

You'd be impressed if he put up 2 points per game in his first or second season? Well no s***. That's Crosby type production...

Well you should see the sh*t on twitter cause everyone’s ready to suck him off 

Well everything I read people acting like he’s crosby

anyways don’t with the veleno talk , if anyone’s seen any other prospects live and has opinions on them I’m all ears 

1 minute ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Maybe playing a lighter schedule in the khl did his body good lol ... really think Your undervaluing what he’d be able to bring , if jagr could perform at 41-44 I wouldn’t bet my money against datsyuk 

boo hoo he bailed on us lol ... probably did us a favour him being here would have messed up our draft positions cause we’d beep just that bit better and we might have missed out on cholowski and hronek , Rasmussen? Maybe if he was here last year we’d get 11th pick and have no zadina and veleno ... everything happened for the better 

and who cares that he left to be with his daughter  ... you clearly have no kids 

marian illitch’s opinion counts for sh*t , she said probably holding a grudge on her husbands behalf , the fact his jersey isn’t up yet is a travesty 

Nobody is the player they were 5 years ago unless they’re still in their 20s what’s your point ? Doesn’t mean you can’t be a benefit to a hockey club  ... anyways yes like we’ve said this is all media bs most likely and if it weren’t I’d trade 34 yr old Nielsen for datsyuk in a heartbeat

I didn't want to do this, but you leave me no choice...

Datsyuk...

...is lazy and he sucks.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Fair enough.

The point I'm making about Veleno is that it isn't just the stats. It's the overall package. But, I mean, it's your right to feel the way you want to feel about him and I totally get not wanting to set your expectations too high. I think there's reason to be excited about him, but I've been wrong before... [stares off into the distance]

No hard feelings, my dude. Sometimes I pick fights over nothing. This probably counts as one of those times. lol

It’s all good man, trust me I’m not even frustrated I’m a passionate fan like a lot of people are I hope the best for every player we draft ,I had hoped Christopher lofberg and dick axelsson would have  been hakan homerun picks but it wasn’t meant to be lol 

Sometimes s*** aren’t meant to be ... we’ll see what the future holds 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

There you go again with the "star"... No one is saying he will become a star. You don't need to be a star to make a bad NHL team in your draft +1 year...

Well then I don’t get all the excitement over a prospect if he’s just meant to be a 3rd liner ... and with all the bad contracts we have and aa Bert mantha Larkin Rasmussen  ... zadina coming etc.. I don’t think it’ll be that easy to make the team after draft plus one year

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I didn't want to do this, but you leave me no choice...

Datsyuk...

...is lazy and he sucks.

In khl yes , where everyone else takes it easy as well ;) 

5 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Well then I don’t get all the excitement over a prospect if he’s just meant to be a 3rd liner ... and with all the bad contracts we have and aa Bert mantha Larkin Rasmussen  ... zadina coming etc.. I don’t think it’ll be that easy to make the team after draft plus one year

You're legit the most frustrating person to have a conversation with on here. You go from superstar to 3rd liner, when I specifically said I think he will be a very good 2nd liner. So no, not a superstar, not a 3rd liner, but still a very important piece to a rebuilding team.

Larkin is our number one center, so he won't be blocking Veleno. Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Zadina are all wingers, so they won't be blocking him. We will likely have 3 vacancies in Nyquist, Vanek and Frk moving on, and I don't think there's any reason to believe Veleno wouldn't be able to make the team over Ehn or de la Rose.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough. I'm not saying Veleno is guaranteed a roster spot next season, but I think it's possible, if not likely. And again, I'd definitely put the likelihood above zero percent... 

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You're legit the most frustrating person to have a conversation with on here. You go from superstar to 3rd liner, when I specifically said I think he will be a very good 2nd liner. So no, not a superstar, not a 3rd liner, but still a very important piece to a rebuilding team.

Larkin is our number one center, so he won't be blocking Veleno. Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Zadina are all wingers, so they won't be blocking him. We will likely have 3 vacancies in Nyquist, Vanek and Frk moving on, and I don't think there's any reason to believe Veleno wouldn't be able to make the team over Ehn or de la Rose.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough. I'm not saying Veleno is guaranteed a roster spot next season, but I think it's possible, if not likely. And again, I'd definitely put the likelihood above zero percent... 

That’s something we can agree on lol this has gone on way too long 

we’ll see what happens 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Umm. I wouldnt. Nielsen is the better point getter at this point.

I saw both Zadina and Veleno in training camp. Veleno looked better.

Ya I’d strongly disagree with that one ... Nielsen had 41,33 and is currently at 28 pts the past three seasons , even at his age there’s no way he can’t surpass those mediocre numbers 

And just looking at those  numbers realizing how bad he is and we have him for another three years at 5+ makes me sick 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Umm. I wouldnt. Nielsen is the better point getter at this point.

I'd rather take a worse point getter Pavel Datsyuk than Frans Nielsen at this point. It's meaningless to have someone who might put 10-15 more points but isn't nearly as complete of a player or a leader by example. 

Datsyuk over Nielsen any day for these young players to continue their growth. Larkin is who he is today due to his work with Zetterberg. Same with Bert. 

Edited by kickazz

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I saw both Zadina and Veleno in training camp. Veleno looked better.

For sure, and it wasn't even close in my opinion. That's why I think Veleno could crack the lineup out of camp next season. I hope Zadina does as well.