• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Official 2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Really? I could swear I remember then winning one in the teens somewhere besides the one in 04.

Oh well. Just goes to further show that Yzerman hasnt done a better job than Holland and the argument that he IS a better GM is based on bias, not actual results.

Seriously though, how could you not know this? That Yzerman has never won a cup as a GM? If we're talking about Yzerman vs Holland that seems like a pretty fundamental details to get straight no? In order to legitimately participate in the convo. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Seriously though, how could you not know this? That Yzerman has never won a cup as a GM? If we're talking about Yzerman vs Holland that seems like a pretty fundamental details to get straight no? In order to legitimately participate in the convo. 

LOL. I misremembered something. That doesn't make me irrelevant.

38 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Fringe NHLers / plugs is all that is expected beyond the top 20 picks... Again, people really need to do their research on probability of draft picks turning into NHL players. Smith, Mrazek, Jurco, Ouellet and Frk were all solid picks, considering where they were drafted, and the likelihood of that draft selection becoming an NHL regular. No, none of them moved the needle, but all have played / will likely play 100+ games in the NHL. Teams have roughly a 15-20% chance in 2nd rounders hitting that mark, even less beyond the 2nd round.

I do agree that it would have been nice to had gotten a Kucherov or Josi, but only a handful of teams are lucky enough to pull those gems out of the 2nd or 3rd round every 10 years. You can't really fault Holland for not getting any true game breakers in the later rounds in the past 10-15 years. The best value pick we've gotten in that time is probably Nyquist taken in the 4th round.

So the probability of Veleno becoming that 2nd line center you think he'll be is actually pretty damn low then by your rationale. 

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So the probability of Veleno becoming that 2nd line center you think he'll be is actually pretty damn low then by your rationale. 

Absof***inglutely. The probability of anyone from 25-35 in the draft becoming an impact player (top 6 F, top 4 D) is approximately 15%. But the probability of at least one of the players in that range becoming an impact player I would say is fairly high. I think Veleno could be (hopefully will be) that player for us.

I'd also add that I don't believe by any stretch that Veleno becoming a 2C is an absolute lock. However, from what I've seen, I think the chances are good that he can reach that sort of ceiling. Time will tell, but keep in mind that he was considered likely to be a top 3 pick a year prior to the draft, and top 10-15 leading up to the draft. He fell a LOT. The question remains, should he have dropped that low?... I was and still am ecstatic to have him in Detroit. There's not a doubt in my mind that he'll be an NHL player, it just depends on whether he hit his ceiling (2C), or settles at his floor (bottom 6 C)... My bet is on the former...

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Should've signed Hossa.

Holland should have made the Red Wings invest heavily in the research of brain transplants so that Franzen could have gotten a new one around ’10. Hell, who knows, he might even have gotten a brain with lesser tendecies towards flosting and being lazy!

5 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Holland should have made the Red Wings invest heavily in the research of brain transplants so that Franzen could have gotten a new one around ’10. Hell, who knows, he might even have gotten a brain with lesser tendecies towards flosting and being lazy!

Aw geez, now you're doin' me a sads right about now.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Should've signed Hossa.

Yeah f*** him. 

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think that's a fair criticism on a very specific point, but I don't really think it means Holland isn't best to run a rebuild.  Starting around 2010-11 we started losing D-men and seemed content to replace them with puds (Cole, Colaiacovo, Commodore) rather than legit d-men.  I always thought we should have landed Wisniewski, but Erhoff, Hamhuis, Suter come to mind as well.  But mishandling UFA d-men isn't the same thing as rebuilding, which is centered on the draft.  And in that area Holland has done very well over the years. 

Now that I've answered your questions.

Vegeta or Goku?

Superman or Batman?

McCarty or Maltby?

AA or Nyquist? 

Leftwinger or Frankgrimes? 

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Yeah f*** him. 

Now that I've answered your questions.

Vegeta or Goku?

Superman or Batman?

McCarty or Maltby?

AA or Nyquist? 

Leftwinger or Frankgrimes? 

Those are easy:

Didn't watch Dragonball Z

Batman.  Aside from kryptonite, Superman is highly susceptible to rich guys (Lex Luther).  Bruce Wayne is rich b*tch.  And he's a violent maniac.  He's probably already got a plan to take Superman down.

Maltby, McCarty is like every washed up druggie from my high school.

AA, cuz razzle dazzle all day.

Leftwinger.  Lefty can be histrionic at times, but Frank was like if you took the most contrarian college freshman of all time and turned him into a dumb hockey fan.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd also add that I don't believe by any stretch that Veleno becoming a 2C is an absolute lock. However, from what I've seen, I think the chances are good that he can reach that sort of ceiling. Time will tell, but keep in mind that he was considered likely to be a top 3 pick a year prior to the draft, and top 10-15 leading up to the draft. He fell a LOT. The question remains, should he have dropped that low?... I was and still am ecstatic to have him in Detroit. There's not a doubt in my mind that he'll be an NHL player, it just depends on whether he hit his ceiling (2C), or settles at his floor (bottom 6 C)... My bet is on the former...

Can you just please, please, please, use your magic Veleno voodoo to make sure he turns out to be at least as good as Ryan O'Reilly?  That's all I ask. 

Edited by kipwinger