• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Red Wings Sign Slovak G Patrik Rybar to Entry Level Contract

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/05/detroit_red_wings_sign_goalten_1.html

24 years old. 6'3" 176 lbs. Real good numbers in the Extraliga and represented Slovakia at the Olympics and WC. Expected to compete for the backups spot but probably headed to GR next season.

Good signing... considering we don't have many pro-level goalies under contract right now. I could see him pushing for a chance to backup Jimmy but, more than likely, playing in GR.  Still hoping we can get Hutton as a stop-gap until Petruzzelli or Larsson are ready.  Bernier is my other pick in the free agent market.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

...Why is it scary??

Could be a sign that he is going to do the same thing(s) he always does. Depth signing's are good, but its right about now we need a different approach to this team. Doesn't mean he will do the same things as always, but this is the first thing he usually does, signs a player out of some European league that he hopes will be better than he actually turns out to be.  Not saying its a bad signing, just saying this is the same thing he does every year, so it could be a scary sign that he is taking the same approach to this year. Which would NOT be good.

He does this every year? By "this" you mean signs unrestricted free agents? That's literally every team, every year...

This was expected. We still need to sign another two or three "depth" goaltenders. Typically teams have 5-6 pro goaltenders under contract (2 NHL, 2 AHL and 1-2 ECHL). We now have Howard, Fulcher and Rybar. Coreau and McCollum are UFA's. Maybe they decide to bring one back to Grand Rapids, but I doubt both come back. Machovsky went back over seas. I see Rybar as his replacement. Like I said, we still need to sign at least another couple goaltenders. I expect to sign a veteran to backup Howard, and maybe Coreau for Grand Rapids.

Detroit - Howard / *Bernier

Grand Rapids - *Coreau / Rybar

Toledo - Fulcher

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

He does this every year? By "this" you mean signs unrestricted free agents? That's literally every team, every year...

This was expected. We still need to sign another two or three "depth" goaltenders. Typically teams have 5-6 pro goaltenders under contract (2 NHL, 2 AHL and 1-2 ECHL). We now have Howard, Fulcher and Rybar. Coreau and McCollum are UFA's. Maybe they decide to bring one back to Grand Rapids, but I doubt both come back. Machovsky went back over seas. I see Rybar as his replacement. Like I said, we still need to sign at least another couple goaltenders. I expect to sign a veteran to backup Howard, and maybe Coreau for Grand Rapids.

Detroit - Howard / *Bernier

Grand Rapids - *Coreau / Rybar

Toledo - Fulcher

Fulcher will be in the OHL for another season as an overager most likely. I'm sure Hamilton wants him back. Unless the Wings insist on him moving up, but theres no reason to rush him, just sign another cheap depth goalie. Or sign McCollum for another season and send him or Rybar there.

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Could be a sign that he is going to do the same thing(s) he always does. Depth signing's are good, but its right about now we need a different approach to this team. Doesn't mean he will do the same things as always, but this is the first thing he usually does, signs a player out of some European league that he hopes will be better than he actually turns out to be.  Not saying its a bad signing, just saying this is the same thing he does every year, so it could be a scary sign that he is taking the same approach to this year. Which would NOT be good.

Good lord. Because he signed a European player to an entry level contract that means he's going to "do the same things he always does"? What does that mean exactly? "do the same things he's always done"? By signing a young Slovak goaltender this leads you to believe he will now sign Stephen Weiss again? Please explain, I'm stumped as to what this tells you...

Holland has openly stated he always wants at least 5 goalies under contract in the system. 2 for Detroit, 2 for GR, and 1 for Toledo.

Right now he has Howard and Fulcher signed, with Mrazek and Machovsky gone, and McCollum and Coreau as pending UFAs. He essentially has to sign 3 goalies at least this offseason. Maybe he re-signs McCollum and Coreau, maybe not, either way he has replace Machovsky and Mrazek's spot.

Rybar sounds like he might be able to replace Mrazek as backup, but can definitely at least hold down the GR starting job.

OOOOOOOO a spooky GR back up goalie, I hope Holland's not up to his spooky ways of signing minor league goalies to support our AHL team again. That would scare me.

Good signing. His record in Europe is better than Machovsky's was. Low risk, possibly high reward.  2 more goalies at least to go, I hope they're not McCollum or Coreau TBH

As I´ve already mentioned, he was top 3 goalie of czech Extraliga last year in cup contender team, had excellent numbers. BUT in the other hand, Wings has terrible record recently with czecho-slovakian players. But I believe he´s way better choice than Avs made with Pavel Francouz. 

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You are forgetting Petruzzelli.

No I'm not. I was just listing the pro goaltenders. Petruzzelli will be back in Quinnipiac, likely for another 2-3 season before he turns pro. Then he'll likely spend a year or two in Grand Rapids, before hopefully making Detroit some day.

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Fulcher will be in the OHL for another season as an overager most likely. I'm sure Hamilton wants him back. Unless the Wings insist on him moving up, but theres no reason to rush him, just sign another cheap depth goalie. Or sign McCollum for another season and send him or Rybar there.

I disagree. I think it's more likely and more beneficial to him (and the organization) for him to turn pro. Yeah, I'm sure Hamilton would love to have him back, but it's not their decision. We'll see what happens, but I think he'll be the starter in Toledo.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Good lord. Because he signed a European player to an entry level contract that means he's going to "do the same things he always does"? What does that mean exactly? "do the same things he's always done"? By signing a young Slovak goaltender this leads you to believe he will now sign Stephen Weiss again? Please explain, I'm stumped as to what this tells you...

Holland has openly stated he always wants at least 5 goalies under contract in the system. 2 for Detroit, 2 for GR, and 1 for Toledo.

Right now he has Howard and Fulcher signed, with Mrazek and Machovsky gone, and McCollum and Coreau as pending UFAs. He essentially has to sign 3 goalies at least this offseason. Maybe he re-signs McCollum and Coreau, maybe not, either way he has replace Machovsky and Mrazek's spot.

Rybar sounds like he might be able to replace Mrazek as backup, but can definitely at least hold down the GR starting job.

OOOOOOOO a spooky GR back up goalie, I hope Holland's not up to his spooky ways of signing minor league goalies to support our AHL team again. That would scare me.

Good signing. His record in Europe is better than Machovsky's was. Low risk, possibly high reward.  2 more goalies at least to go, I hope they're not McCollum or Coreau TBH

It means just that. It's like this, pretend there is an off season book, and he turned to page 1 as he always does. It could be scary if he turns to page 2 as always or re-writes page 2...etc...i want him to re-write the entire book, but if page 1 is all he uses, cool. If he just turns to the same page 2, we're in trouble.

Edited by LeftWinger

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It means just that. It's like this, pretend there is an off season book, and he turned to page 1 as he always does. It could be scary if he turns to page 2 as always or re-writes page 2...etc...i want him to re-write the entire book, but if page 1 is all he uses, cool. If he just turns to the same page 2, we're in trouble.

This makes absolutely zero sense

What is page 1? Signing young goaltenders to play in the AHL? Yes, he does this do this when needed. All teams do. Would you have him not? How would you prefer he have addressed the hole at goalie in GR? Not sign anyone? Re-sign McCollum? Coreau? Sign a veteran AHLer? Did you have someone specific in mind?

Now let's talk about page 2 in this book of yours... what is it? Clearly you have some idea of what it is, and it's a negative thing to you. So spill already, I don't wanna ask a third time. Is it signing a veteran to a bloated contract? Signing a scrub like Witkowski?

Lastly, whatever "page 2" may be, what is the connection between page 1 and 2? Because he signed a similar player to Machovsky, that leads you to believe he'll now sign a player similar to Trevor Daley??? If that's the type of connection you're trying to make, well it's completely illogical. Signing a goaltender for GR is not an indicator of anything... other than we will likely have a new goalie for GR.

I never realized signing an ELC player to fill a minor need in the AHL could be so scary... maybe cause it's not.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, SwedeLundin77 said:

Good signing... considering we don't have many pro-level goalies under contract right now. I could see him pushing for a chance to backup Jimmy but, more than likely, playing in GR.  Still hoping we can get Hutton as a stop-gap until Petruzzelli or Larsson are ready.  Bernier is my other pick in the free agent market.

That would be a solid signing.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Scouting and signing new blood from overseas instead of  bringing back retreads is exactly what he should be doing. Whether it's what he always does or not doesn't matter to me. Holland is replacing Machovsky would be my guess. Nothing to really debate here.

In the meantime, Machovsky is back in CZ and is pretty ...eh...  about Red Wings approach. Saying they didn´t count with him from the beginning and ruined one year of his career. 

4 hours ago, Juklitz said:

In the meantime, Machovsky is back in CZ and is pretty ...eh...  about Red Wings approach. Saying they didn´t count with him from the beginning and ruined one year of his career. 

It seems there's been a few disgruntled ex-Wings over the past several years, claiming they were mislead or mismanaged in some way. Maybe there's some truth behind it...

6 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Holland has rewarded mediocrity for 10 years now.  Giving guys long, expensive contracts who don't deserve them is going to piss off the guys in GR and Toledo who never get a shot.  The Howard, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Nielsen, and Nyquist deals are all impediments to success.

Howard was a good signing. Nyquist was a good signing. Ericsson was a reasonable signing at the time. Nielsen was a bad signing. Abdelkader was a bad signing. Every general manager makes mistakes. The issue I have with Holland is his unwillingness to remedy those mistakes.

8 hours ago, Juklitz said:

Yeah, when you have played well and then end up playing in the ECHL behind a 30-year-old Nagle (50 games to his 21), I'd say that's pretty much a waste. The biggest mistake made in this whole process was signing Machovsky who I'm sure thought he was going to GR to split with Coreau and maybe get a call-up, only to then turn around and trade (luckily we gave up nothing) for a career minor leaguer in McCollum. It was stupid back when it happened and it's still a stupid today. Coreau just led you to a championship the year before and you bring in a Czech goalie who put up solid numbers overseas only to shaft him to the ECHL? I would be pissed, too. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are seeing a sparse cupboard when it comes to goaltending prospects. Our best option to next take the reigns is Larsson and he still needs a couple of seasons at the college level to be truly ready, in my opinion. Petruzzelli has the highest ceiling but is coming off a poor season and will need to compete hard to take over the starting gig at QU next season and get plenty of starts.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Yeah, when you have played well and then end up playing in the ECHL behind a 30-year-old Nagle (50 games to his 21), I'd say that's pretty much a waste. The biggest mistake made in this whole process was signing Machovsky who I'm sure thought he was going to GR to split with Coreau and maybe get a call-up, only to then turn around and trade (luckily we gave up nothing) for a career minor leaguer in McCollum. It was stupid back when it happened and it's still a stupid today. Coreau just led you to a championship the year before and you bring in a Czech goalie who put up solid numbers overseas only to shaft him to the ECHL? I would be pissed, too. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we are seeing a sparse cupboard when it comes to goaltending prospects. Our best option to next take the reigns is Larsson and he still needs a couple of seasons at the college level to be truly ready, in my opinion. Petruzzelli has the highest ceiling but is coming off a poor season and will need to compete hard to take over the starting gig at QU next season and get plenty of starts.

Thats one perspective on Machovsky. I see it more as, we gave him a shot, but he turned out to be worse than McCollum and Coreau. He never earned a spot in GR. If that makes him disgruntled and he wants to return to Europe... see ya! No real loss on our part. Im already more intrigued by Rybar than I ever was with Machovsky.

In regards to Pettruzzeli I disagree. Hes an ok prospect, but Larsson... wow, now thats our guy. 

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Howard was a good signing. Nyquist was a good signing. Ericsson was a reasonable signing at the time. Nielsen was a bad signing. Abdelkader was a bad signing. Every general manager makes mistakes. The issue I have with Holland is his unwillingness to remedy those mistakes.

Are you saying these were bad signings or bad contracts? I actually think they were both good "signings", I just didn't like the contracts themselves- mostly the lengths.

8 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Admittedly I only saw them both play together in training camp, but I actually thought Nagle was the better goalie of the 2 from what i saw. I am no goaltending scout tho.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thats one perspective on Machovsky. I see it more as, we gave him a shot, but he turned out to be worse than McCollum and Coreau. He never earned a spot in GR. If that makes him disgruntled and he wants to return to Europe... see ya! No real loss on our part. Im already more intrigued by Rybar than I ever was with Machovsky.

In regards to Pettruzzeli I disagree. Hes an ok prospect, but Larsson... wow, now thats our guy. 

I would say he never really had a shot to challenge Coreau/McCollum. He played 4 games in GR and had a better GAA and almost exact same SV%. So it's pretty silly that they even traded for McCollum in the first place... they need to be developing goalies for the NHL, not guys who are career minor leaguers.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Are you saying these were bad signings or bad contracts? I actually think they were both good "signings", I just didn't like the contracts themselves- mostly the lengths.

Well both I guess. I didn't like the Nielsen "contract", which is what made it a bad "signing". Could we have signed him for less money and for less term? If so, why didn't we? If not, I guess we shouldn't have signed him. I'm not saying Nielsen is a bad player or even that he's a bad fit, but at $5.25M for 6 years, it was a bad signing in my opinion. Basically the same applies to Abdelkader.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Admittedly I only saw them both play together in training camp, but I actually thought Nagle was the better goalie of the 2 from what i saw. I am no goaltending scout tho.

Perhaps he was, but the stats are very respectable from Machovsky and I can see why he's disappointed in his stay here.

48 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I would say he never really had a shot to challenge Coreau/McCollum. He played 4 games in GR and had a better GAA and almost exact same SV%. So it's pretty silly that they even traded for McCollum in the first place... they need to be developing goalies for the NHL, not guys who are career minor leaguers.

Sure, all good points, I just usually believe there's a reason for most things. I don't think Holland sat in a room with his staff and rolled dice to decide which goalie went to Toledo. I don't think Fischer, Havluj, and the rest of the scouting staff spent good man hours scouting this guy just to decide "lol screw Machovsky, lets make him rot in the minors" either.

Maybe once they got their hands they felt he wasn't worth developing farther? Maybe, despite Machovsky's stats, they clearly agreed McCollum was a better player and was more valuable to the team if something happened to the starting goalies and they didn't want him abandoning for Europe if sunk in the ECHL. Maybe he's a talented player with zero work ethic? Maybe he's got a crap personality and his teammates and coaches hated him? Maybe he had to be disciplined by the team? Maybe he's a drunk? Maybe he's on drugs?

None of this proves my point, I just tend to believe there's probably a reasonable explanation somehwere that we're just not ever gonna hear, because losing Matej Machovsky is so beyond insignificant it doesn't warrant one. It's either that or I'm totally misguided and Holland just sits around in his office all day with a cooking pot on his head banging it with wooden spoons until it's time to read goodnight moon and go night night.

At the end of the day, like I was saying, this loss is so insignificant I don't really care too much. I agree this team should be developing its younger players, I'm sure we all do, but lets be honest, neither Machovsky or McCollum are ever gonna be NHL goaltenders. They're spare parts. Even Rybar is probably not gonna be much of anything. But new things are fun and we can hope! I'm not gonna judge the Red Wings brass on this one, its whatevs to me.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Machovsky couldn't even beat out a career ECHL goaltender to earn the starting job in Toledo. If he was better than any of Coreau, McCollum, or even Nagle, his path would have been different. They were better. They played nicey nice with management and coaches. That's why they were used more. Simple as that.

3 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Looks like they viewed all three as career minor leaguers.