• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Red Wings Sign Slovak G Patrik Rybar to Entry Level Contract

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sure, all good points, I just usually believe there's a reason for most things. I don't think Holland sat in a room with his staff and rolled dice to decide which goalie went to Toledo. I don't think Fischer, Havluj, and the rest of the scouting staff spent good man hours scouting this guy just to decide "lol screw Machovsky, lets make him rot in the minors" either.

Maybe once they got their hands they felt he wasn't worth developing farther? Maybe, despite Machovsky's stats, they clearly agreed McCollum was a better player and was more valuable to the team if something happened to the starting goalies and they didn't want him abandoning for Europe if sunk in the ECHL. Maybe he's a talented player with zero work ethic? Maybe he's got a crap personality and his teammates and coaches hated him? Maybe he had to be disciplined by the team? Maybe he's a drunk? Maybe he's on drugs?

None of this proves my point, I just tend to believe there's probably a reasonable explanation somehwere that we're just not ever gonna hear, because losing Matej Machovsky is so beyond insignificant it doesn't warrant one. It's either that or I'm totally misguided and Holland just sits around in his office all day with a cooking pot on his head banging it with wooden spoons until it's time to read goodnight moon and go night night.

At the end of the day, like I was saying, this loss is so insignificant I don't really care too much. I agree this team should be developing its younger players, I'm sure we all do, but lets be honest, neither Machovsky or McCollum are ever gonna be NHL goaltenders. They're spare parts. Even Rybar is probably not gonna be much of anything. But new things are fun and we can hope! I'm not gonna judge the Red Wings brass on this one, its whatevs to me.

I just don't believe you can look at a 24-year-old goaltender with solid stats overseas and say he'll never amount to anything. McCollum, yes, he's nothing more than an AHL goalie, but Machovsky or any other goalie that young that has put up good stats in their career could definitely develop into an NHL goalie. There are several goalies, even now, that didn't really get NHL established until they were 27 or 28.

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Machovsky couldn't even beat out a career ECHL goaltender to earn the starting job in Toledo. If he was better than any of Coreau, McCollum, or even Nagle, his path would have been different. They were better. They played nicey nice with management and coaches. That's why they were used more. Simple as that.

Pat Nagle had a better win-loss ratio, but that's a team stat as much as it is a goalie stat. 

Nagle - 50 GP 2.23 GAA .923 SV% 3 SO
Machovsky -  21 GP 2.02 GAA .928 SV% 2 SO

You can't tell me that he was outperformed by Nagle at the same level. It's just inaccurate. 

Coreau - 38 GP 2.52 GAA .913 SV% 2 SO
McCollum - 37 GP 2.64 GAA .912 SV% 1 SO
Machovsky - 4 GP 2.43 GAA .911 SV% 0 SO

Again, better if not comparable stats for someone who is not used to the smaller rinks. In-Accu-Rate.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I just don't believe you can look at a 24-year-old goaltender with solid stats overseas and say he'll never amount to anything. McCollum, yes, he's nothing more than an AHL goalie, but Machovsky or any other goalie that young that has put up good stats in their career could definitely develop into an NHL goalie. There are several goalies, even now, that didn't really get NHL established until they were 27 or 28.

I think if Machovsky had any NHL potential other teams would be calling on him. Maybe im wrong, but i dont see that happening. 

Machovsky Warns Rybar He Is Making A Big Mistake

Czech article. Basically Machovsky says Rybar is making a mistake and will not get a chance in Detroit. Machovsky said he felt like the door was closed on him before he even got to the team. Says he found out after the fact that the only person who wanted him on the team was the farm-team goaltending coach (I assume he means the Griffins whose goalie coach is Brian Mahoney-Wilson).

If all true, maybe the Red Wings front office just never cared about this guy and only signed him to be a warm body for the AHL/ECHL. If that's the case he"s not much of a loss at all, but it's still kind of dooshy of the Red Wings to sign a young guy that they have no intention of developing.

Anyway, if anyone's still mad about this, I believe it's Ryan Martin's job to manage the minor league teams.

Who's to say this isn't the same thing?

Poor Macho Man, like I said, sign some relatively unknown to a contract and have zero intention on letting him play or even get a shot. Or in some cases, get a few games and that's all. I know you don't like my metaphor, but page 1 dude.

HOPEFULLY Rybar was signed for a purpose and not just for that warm body you speak of.

Edited by LeftWinger

3 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Pat Nagle had a better win-loss ratio, but that's a team stat as much as it is a goalie stat. 

Nagle - 50 GP 2.23 GAA .923 SV% 3 SO
Machovsky -  21 GP 2.02 GAA .928 SV% 2 SO

You can't tell me that he was outperformed by Nagle at the same level. It's just inaccurate. 

Coreau - 38 GP 2.52 GAA .913 SV% 2 SO
McCollum - 37 GP 2.64 GAA .912 SV% 1 SO
Machovsky - 4 GP 2.43 GAA .911 SV% 0 SO

Again, better if not comparable stats for someone who is not used to the smaller rinks. In-Accu-Rate.

Right or wrong, sometimes attitude and politics play into (pun intended) who plays and who doesn't; not stats. If Toledo or GR thought Machovsky was better, they would have played him more. They play to win the games. If they believed that Machovsky gave them a better chance, he would have been the starter in Toledo or at least the backup in GR, regardless of the numbers. It's very possible that he had a bad attitude, entitlement issues, poor work ethic, etc that led to his limited use. I don't know this of course, i am just speculating. Like i said, I am no expert on goalies by any means. But I do think that no team is going to play an average, veteran minor league goaltender over a young, raw goaltender with better potential without good reason. What those reasons are, I don't know. But I am betting there was more to it than stats.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

HOPEFULLY Rybar was signed for a purpose and not just for that warm body you speak of.

Every team signs "warm bodies" to fill out their minor league system. They may not be long term solutions (most times they aren't), but they do serve a purpose.

What's the difference in signing a young European goalie (Machovsky / Rybar) that may or may not amount to anything, and a young North American forward (Lorito / Elson) that may or may not amount to anything? Or do you complain about those signings as well?

We need to fill out a roster for Grand Rapids, and not every player down there is going to be a promising prospect. In fact, most are fillers / warm bodies that will never amount to much, if anything at the NHL level.

Good depth signing. Nothing more, nothing less. If he becomes a part of the future, bonus. If not, oh well. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Every team signs "warm bodies" to fill out their minor league system. They may not be long term solutions (most times they aren't), but they do serve a purpose.

What's the difference in signing a young European goalie (Machovsky / Rybar) that may or may not amount to anything, and a young North American forward (Lorito / Elson) that may or may not amount to anything? Or do you complain about those signings as well?

We need to fill out a roster for Grand Rapids, and not every player down there is going to be a promising prospect. In fact, most are fillers / warm bodies that will never amount to much, if anything at the NHL level.

Good depth signing. Nothing more, nothing less. If he becomes a part of the future, bonus. If not, oh well. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Not complaining at all, and yes the NA guys fit the bill when it comes to Holland Team Building 101 page 1. It has nothing to do with European players or NA players, its just the mostly unknown player that he seems to always sign.  Depth is cool, hopefully this guy doesn't get the raw treatment like some others.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Who's to say this isn't the same thing?

Poor Macho Man, like I said, sign some relatively unknown to a contract and have zero intention on letting him play or even get a shot. Or in some cases, get a few games and that's all. I know you don't like my metaphor, but page 1 dude.

Metaphors have to make some semblance of sense.

How many young goalies have come out and said the red wings screwed them?

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

This ones different because apparently it makes leftwinger scared

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

it has nothing to do with position or getting screwed. It's just the same thing he does every year, (no it doesn't matter nationality or position) hopefully he doesn't continue the "same thing"

... but every single organization does this every single year. Holland isn't the only GM that signs depth UFA's. I just don't understand why this would be viewed in any way as a bad thing. We need depth in goal, so Holland added depth in goal. That's a good thing. We're going to need depth at forward, so Holland will sign some depth forwards as well...

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Machovsky Warns Rybar He Is Making A Big Mistake

Czech article. Basically Machovsky says Rybar is making a mistake and will not get a chance in Detroit. Machovsky said he felt like the door was closed on him before he even got to the team. Says he found out after the fact that the only person who wanted him on the team was the farm-team goaltending coach (I assume he means the Griffins whose goalie coach is Brian Mahoney-Wilson).

If all true, maybe the Red Wings front office just never cared about this guy and only signed him to be a warm body for the AHL/ECHL. If that's the case he"s not much of a loss at all, but it's still kind of dooshy of the Red Wings to sign a young guy that they have no intention of developing.

Anyway, if anyone's still mad about this, I believe it's Ryan Martin's job to manage the minor league teams.

It isn't true. The Wings did not sign a player to an NHL contract, pay a $92,500 signing bonus plus $70,000 minor league salary, and bring him over from Europe just to f*** with the guy and not play him. Machovsky is an idiot. Probably why he didn't get more games. As has already been said, the Wings want to have 5 goalies, plus one usually on a minor league deal for Toledo. That's exactly what they did last year. The guy ******* about it and now we're actually going to entertain the idea that it was a mistake to not sign someone s***tier than McCollum to give this diva less competition. 

So he had to start in Toledo. Cry less and work more. That's what Coreau did and a few years later he was starting the Centennial Classic. He could possibly be our backup next season. Several NHL goalies spent time in the ECHL. Jonathan Quick spent most of his first pro year in the ECHL, but instead of crying and going home, he stuck it out then won a couple Stanley Cups. Machovsky will never sniff the NHL. He's the last person Rybar should be taking advice from.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

it has nothing to do with position or getting screwed. It's just the same thing he does every year, (no it doesn't matter nationality or position) hopefully he doesn't continue the "same thing"

Soooooo "the same thing" is signing players every year...?

That's what a sports team does...

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We'll just see if he re-writes the book and makes (or attempts to make) all the changes he says he wants to make, or if he just turns the page on the same book he's been following.

Oh yeah? what changes has he said he wants to make?

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

NO other goalie will ever get a true shot at anything as long as Holland has Howard around. He's had bad stretches but always given time to work through it, even if he's losing the team games. Longest leash for a goalie i've ever seen. And this isn't just about Mrazek, although Holland sure jumped on pushing him to Philly any way possible after saying he couldn't trade Howard two offseasons before because he refused to retain salary. Howard had zero value, of course you'll need to retain salary. Not saying Coreau deserves another shot, because he doesn't, but eventually Kenny needs to cut the cord on Jimmy. He should make a shot at Grubauer, but he won't. We'll end up getting Bernier or some s***.