• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rivalred

Erik Karlssons’s Wife Harassed While Pregnant by Another Teammate’s Fiancée

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Dude you Canadians and your Pro-Sess legitimately drives me nuts. It's Prah-Sess you British wankers.

TFW you make fun of Canadian-speak and ppl think you're actually Canadian. :(

You wound me, sir.

I always find it funny when Americans discuss Canadian accents.  Personally, in my entire life, I have never heard anyone say "aboot" other than an American pretending to speak like a Canadian.  Not saying no one says it, but it's clearly not that common.  My biggest source of confusion is why Americans even think there is a Canadian accent.  Fact is, there are several different accents throughout the country depending on the part of the country you live....very same thing can be said of the US, except the US is more drastic in my mind regarding different accents.

28 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I always find it funny when Americans discuss Canadian accents.  Personally, in my entire life, I have never heard anyone say "aboot" other than an American pretending to speak like a Canadian.  Not saying no one says it, but it's clearly not that common.  My biggest source of confusion is why Americans even think there is a Canadian accent.  Fact is, there are several different accents throughout the country depending on the part of the country you live....very same thing can be said of the US, except the US is more drastic in my mind regarding different accents.

Accents are less noticeable when you grow up around them. I had no idea people from Michigan had a different accent than anywhere else in the Midwest until I visited other states. 

There’s definitely a Canadian accent, but it’s a lot more subtle than Americans like to think. I’m sure that’s partially dependent on where in Canada a person is from though. 

Re: bolded, I totally agree. A deep southern US accent sounds like an entirely different language sometimes.

12 minutes ago, amato said:

Accents are less noticeable when you grow up around them. I had no idea people from Michigan had a different accent than anywhere else in the Midwest until I visited other states. 

There’s definitely a Canadian accent, but it’s a lot more subtle than Americans like to think. I’m sure that’s partially dependent on where in Canada a person is from though. 

Re: bolded, I totally agree. A deep southern US accent sounds like an entirely different language sometimes.

The point I think @toby91_ca was trying to make though, and I agree, that there isn't a "Canadian accent". Different provinces, and even on smaller scale, different cities and towns within each province, have very different accents. The same way there isn't one "American accent". Different states, as well as cities and towns within each state have very different accents. And yeah, I've never hear a Canadian say "aboot"... I'd love to know where that stereotype originated from. Is there actually a part of Canada that talks like that?

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The point I think @toby91_ca was trying to make though, and I agree, that there isn't a "Canadian accent". Different provinces, and even on smaller scale, different cities and towns within each province, have very different accents. The same way there isn't one "American accent". Different states, as well as cities and towns within each state have very different accents. And yeah, I've never hear a Canadian say "aboot"... I'd love to know where that stereotype originated from. Is there actually a part of Canada that talks like that?

McKenzie Brothers, " Canadian Bacon", Red Green Show. This is what Americans are exposed to regarding Canadian language and culture.

And I visited friends in Toronto and they joked about Newfies accent and how it was incoherent. Kind of like what Northern US says about the South.

8 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

McKenzie Brothers, " Canadian Bacon", Red Green Show. This is what Americans are exposed to regarding Canadian language and culture.

And I visited friends in Toronto and they joked about Newfies accent and how it was incoherent. Kind of like what Northern US says about the South.

So the only exposer American's have to anything Canadian is satirical comedy shows / movies? When I say that I've never heard a Canadian say "aboot", I'm talking about real people, not actors / comedians...

Newfoundlanders definitely do have an accent, but not all are the stereotypical incoherent "Newfie accent". I've met people from other parts of Canada and the US that never believed I'm from Newfoundland, because I don't have much of the thick Newfie accent, and for whatever reason they assumed we all talked the exact same. Ignorance I guess...

1 hour ago, toby91_ca said:

There's definitely a Canadian accent. Like Amato says below, I honestly didn't recognize I had a Midwest accent (or that that was even a thing) until I moved out of the Midwest and people started telling me I had one.

I'm not saying everyone in Canadian has the same accent. QC literally speaks a different language, and dudes I talk to from Ontario and from Calgary definitely sound different to me. Just like someone from New Orleans sounds different than someone from Texas.

To be fair, "aboot" was probably a poor/rare selection lol

49 minutes ago, amato said:

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

See, I don't think there's one unifying Canadian accent that you've all agreed to or anything. Just a general manner of speech, the same way you could say Irish/Scottish/Kings-English sounds similar, even though they're totally different.

When I hear someone say "pro-sess" and not "prah-sess" my brain says this person is probs Canadian.

When I hear someone say "ya'll" my brains tell me the dude is probably American

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I should’ve bolded the first part of that last sentence too. I get the point. 

Although I can’t say which part of Canada it’s from, I’ve definitely heard “aboot” type words from time to time. Although, not as exaggerated at many Americans think it is.

Part of the company I work for is based in Windsor, and I’ve heard it from some coworkers, so maybe close by there? I’m not sure.. just thinking out loud here, but it would make a little more sense if the extended “ouh” kind of sound were near the US boarder, based on the exaggeration of it in the states.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There's definitely a Canadian accent. Like Amato says below, I honestly didn't recognize I had a Midwest accent (or that that was even a thing) until I moved out of the Midwest and people started telling me I had one.

I'm not saying everyone in Canadian has the same accent. QC literally speaks a different language, and dudes I talk to from Ontario and from Calgary definitely sound different to me. Just like someone from New Orleans sounds different than someone from Texas.

To be fair, "aboot" was probably a poor/rare selection lol

See, I don't think there's one unifying Canadian accent that you've all agreed to or anything. Just a general manner of speech, the same way you could say Irish/Scottish/Kings-English sounds similar, even though they're totally different.

When I hear someone say "pro-sess" and not "prah-sess" my brain says this person is probs Canadian.

it's not "aboot" it's "aboat"

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

So the only exposer American's have to anything Canadian is satirical comedy shows / movies? When I say that I've never heard a Canadian say "aboot", I'm talking about real people, not actors / comedians...

Newfoundlanders definitely do have an accent, but not all are the stereotypical incoherent "Newfie accent". I've met people from other parts of Canada and the US that never believed I'm from Newfoundland, because I don't have much of the thick Newfie accent, and for whatever reason they assumed we all talked the exact same. Ignorance I guess...

To be fair, there's more than a number of Canadians that I could not pick out of a crowd of Americans based on speech. Many are completely indistinguishable.

On the flipside, to me, people from Minnesota and the Dakotas sound like they're more Canadian than American.

2 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

but back in school in Vancouver, Canadians used to make fun of how everyone else would pronounce Surrey, most of us would say "sorry" and they'd be like, "oh, don't be sorry aboat it, eh"

Do people in CDMX sound different than people in Tijuana? Monterrey? Merida? I assume so

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do people in CDMX sound different than people in Tijuana? Monterrey? Merida? I assume so

we most definitely do have different accents, heck, there's even different accents within the city. *it also depends a bit on social class.

Edited by NerveDamage

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't get this one either. I'm sure there are Canadians that say "pro-sess", just like I'm sure there are American's that do as well. I say "prah-sess", and I'm pretty sure most Canadians pronounce it that way. That's like "toe-may-toe" vs "toe-ma-toe". I'm not sure that's really a Canadian vs American thing, as much as it's a smart person vs dumb person thing... :lol:

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't get this one either. I'm sure there are Canadians that say "pro-sess", just like I'm sure there are American's that do as well. I say "prah-sess", and I'm pretty sure most Canadians pronounce it that way. That's like "toe-may-toe" vs "toe-ma-toe". I'm not sure that's really a Canadian vs American thing, as much as it's a smart person vs dumb person thing... :lol:

In the U.S. I would consider "prah-sess" to be an east coast influence. Maybe cause you're on the eastern seaboard it's shared? IDK.

The place I REALLY notice "pro-sess" is whenever I'm in Toronto

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Some american jews living in the east coast/midwest say

Tuh - may - Tuh and Puh -tay - tuh

Edited by kickazz

I'm Canadian EH! I find this very OHffensive. I want to know what all you hosers think is so foony aboot the way we talk eh? Bet you woodnt like it soo much if I unleashed a heard of moose on yous eh? Ill drive a taboggen right across your faces and beat you with a pillowcase full of loonies, then take your girl over to timmies and get some some doughnuts eh, and a couple dooble doobles. 

Edited by Euro_Twins