• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

first off: thanks for starting this thread KRS - good idea

2nd - I hate both Domi and HowmuchwoodcouldGalchenyukChucK equally

3rd - I hate Bergevin and the Habs ownership because they are butt-rogering that great franchise so I hope Alex scores 30 in Arizona and wins the Selke

4rd - Habs were already one of the weakest teams up the middle in the League before this trade so maybe this means they really are taking the Finn 3rd

exciting stuff !

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

3rd - I hate Bergevin and the Habs ownership because they are butt-rogering that great franchise so I hope Alex scores 30 in Arizona and wins the Selke

4rd - Habs were already one of the weakest teams up the middle in the League before this trade so maybe this means they really are taking the Finn 3rd

exciting stuff !

Yeah, I was kind of surprised nothing had already been started. I guess it's only now that anything relevant will start happening. Looking forward to this thread being busy this summer.

I actually like both players. More so Galchenyuk. I think (hope) he will be great in Arizona.

Bergevin truly is an idiot. I actually think he may be taking the throne from Chiarelli as worst GM.

I've heard rumblings of them "not being done" and potentially going after O'Rielly next. Can't wait to see what they give up for him. But yeah, I think Kotkaniemi is their guy.

23 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

exciting stuff !

:g: you raise a wood point there

19 minutes ago, kylee said:

Apparently Holland is going to offer Kovalchuk a contract but considering he wants to sign somewhere that is a contender I don’t think we have anything to worry about lol. 

IF he is willing to sign a year deal, it could be more strategic for Kovy to sign with a team like the Wings then a team he thinks is a contender. 

With that being said, I dont think he's coming to Detroit. I think he's negotiating with as many teams as possible in order to up his value.

The argument for coming to Detroit would be that they are not likely making the playoffs, meaning that at the TDL he could be traded to a legit contender. 

For a UFA, best case scenario is signing with a legit contender (but that's easier said then done), 2nd best scenario is signing with a bad team that can trade you at the TDL, worst case is signing with a fringe team that may be a playoff team, but not good enough to do any damage, and not bad enough to trade you (think us in 2014). 

At least by signing with Detroit, he has a high chance of being traded to a legit contender come TDL, especially if its 1 year with a modified NTC.

20 hours ago, kliq said:

IF he is willing to sign a year deal, it could be more strategic for Kovy to sign with a team like the Wings then a team he thinks is a contender. 

With that being said, I dont think he's coming to Detroit. I think he's negotiating with as many teams as possible in order to up his value.

Bingo.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Oh man, on the HOF boards Habs fans are going nuts! Arizona fans seem to be disappointed because they liked Domi, but they get it.

First Weber for Subban, now this.....Bergevin is giving Chiarelli a run for his money.

It's times like this we should all give thanks for the Chosen One known as Ken Holland.

BTW, anyone else think this is a possible sign that AZ will take Tkachuk and Montreal Kotkaniemi?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I believe Montreal, even after this two-year Domi deal, still has Domi under RFA rights for another 2 years after the deal is over. Chucky would have become UFA much sooner. Arizona gained talent, Montreal gained cost control.

Which is what makes this trade so dumb, and why Bergevin is one of, if not the worst GM in the league.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Which is what makes this trade so dumb, and why Bergevin is one of, if not the worst GM in the league.

I don't agree. I think it's a pretty honest 1 for 1.

In regards to Bergevin, that man certainly has the balls to make moves (and he just cleared himself space to make more moves). I respect that. And I know a lot of people around here would appreciate that type of GM over Holland's patience approach. But personally, yeah I prefer Holland.

Galchenyuk, $4.9 per, 2 years left, UFA after contract, 50 point player, effective center?

Domi, $3.15, 2 years left, RFA after contract, 50 point player, winger

Domi gives Montreal almost $2 million in savings a year for 2 years, AND they get more savings when the contract is up because he'll still be RFA. Chucky on the other hand will probably be looking to negotiate for at least $5 million plus to $6 million plus at the end of his. Contract wise, this looks pretty savy to me on Bergevins part.

Both players are similar points wise, with the advantage to Chucky on goals. So I give the edge to Chucky on talent, but only slightly. The argument that seems to be coming from MTL fans is WE NEED CENTERS WHY WOULD YOU SWAP A CENTER FOR A WINGER?? And to that I would say, because Galchenyuk is not a center, at least in Montreal he's not. For whatever reason (I don't know enough about Galchenyuk to say) Julien, just like Therrien, refuses to play Chucky at C, and management seems to agree with this usage. So he was never going to be a C in Montreal whether fans like that or not, and I'm sure the Habs have a good reason as to why, I just don't know myself. We'll see how he does at C in Arizona, but this is effectively a winger for a winger trade on paper.

Personality wise, Domi is pretty highly praised. The Penguins apparently had a sizeable offer in place for Domi and were disappointed when they got snubbed by Arizona, citing Domi's enthusiasm as a person as one of the reasons he's highly regarded.

Chucky seems to be a different animal entirely. The stuff I'm reading about his relationship with his father is a little troubling. Apparently his father is uber controlling and overly involved in his career. Berating him on his performance after games, and even berating him via text between periods on a consistent basis. I can see how Montreal might see a toxic problem there.

I really think the Bergevin is an idiot narrative might backfire on this one.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

By no means am I a Habs/Bergevin fan, but I think it's a decent move since Galchenyuk was not cutting it in Montreal.

Habs fans are livid, take a look yourself. 

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/mtl-ari-max-domi-for-alex-galchenyuk.2503645/page-3#post-146907001

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/bergevin-defends-domi-acquisition-after-uproar-from-habs-fans~1419500

Edited by kliq

6 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

So - the Habs will draft a center next Friday?

I was under the impression that Galchenyuk was spending a lot of time on the 3rd/4th lines.

I think so.

Dahlin and Svech will go 1 & 2, no drama there. If the Habs take Kokaniemi and AZ goes Tkachuk, it will really be interesting to see what Ottawa does. I mean if Zadina is still there at 5 do you throw the Sens a pick to swap places to get him? Could be interesting.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I'd be be livid too if I was a Habs fan. Imagine watching the last 2 Red Wings season. Livid yet? Now imagine watching it, but in French...

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

So - the Habs will draft a center next Friday?

I was under the impression that Galchenyuk was spending a lot of time on the 3rd/4th lines.

The point is that Bergevin keeps making 1 for 1 trades where MTL ends up on the losing end. Subban for Weber, Drouin for Segechev, and now this. There is no doubt in my mind that had they played their cards better, they could have gotten more then Domi for  for Galchenyuk.

16 minutes ago, kliq said:

The point is that Bergevin keeps making 1 for 1 trades where MTL ends up on the losing end. Subban for Weber, Drouin for Segechev, and now this. There is no doubt in my mind that had they played their cards better, they could have gotten more then Domi for  for Galchenyuk.

Yeah, but Sergachev was Russian, and Subban was black, can you blame him?

44 minutes ago, kliq said:

Even more than that is that they needed a good center even when Plekanec was still kind of good, and then they trade for a couple wingers. Viewed in isolation they aren't really bad trades, but three big trades that are even debatable, while also completely failing to address team needs is just bad.