• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

Simon Despres is interested in getting back into the NHL. Says he’ll do whatever it takes, money is not an issue, and that he’ll even entertain starting in the AHL if he has to. He’s 26, good sized, defensive, and sounds like he’s done a lot to come back from his concussion issues a few seasons back. 

If I’m Kenny, I at least try to lock him down in GR.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

If only he were ambidextrous, he would have been re-signed...

He could still be re-signed. They just don’t want an arbitration hearing to deem “wow big shot, much money, here ya go!” :P 

That said, if he leaves it’s no big loss. Best of luck to him. 

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Absolutely, but Svechnikov > Vanek, and that's probably what it would come down to. If we sign a player like Vanek and send Svechnikov down, f*** Holland.

*Sigh* It's the groundhog day of debates again

Long term, Svechnikov is more important to the team than Vanek is for sure. But this team wants to win a few games and considering they lost more one goal games than anyone last year, and lost Tatar's 25, it's pretty clear that they need to add some scoring. Svechnikov hasn't shown he's there yet, and they ain't getting 25 + from Rasmussen. 

Also, enough with this "f*** Holland" stuff. It makes you sound like an irrational baby. 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Long term, Svechnikov is more important to the team than Vanek is for sure. But this team wants to win a few games and considering they lost more one goal games than anyone last year, and lost Tatar's 25, it's pretty clear that they need to add some scoring. Svechnikov hasn't shown he's there yet, and they ain't getting 25 + from Rasmussen. 

Also, enough with this "f*** Holland" stuff. It makes you sound like an irrational baby. 

I'm looking long term, you're looking short term. Holland said he was going to look long term and insert up to 5 kids into the lineup. Which is exactly what *most* fans want to see.

So let me get this straight... If it came down to it, would you seriously choose a 34 year old Vanek over a 21 year old Svechnikov? We need to build for the future, and not worry about wins and losses in a season where it shouldn't matter.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I'm looking long term, you're looking short term. Holland said he was going to look long term and insert up to 5 kids into the lineup. Which is exactly what *most* fans want to see.

So let me get this straight... If it came down to it, would you seriously choose a 34 year old Vanek over a 21 year old Svechnikov? We need to build for the future, and not worry about wins and losses in a season where it shouldn't matter.

I agree in theory with everything you've said. But I also have a wider lens and a comprehension of the fact that the the Wings, if you can take their word for it, do not want/plan to as bad as they were this year in 18/19. And I tend to agree with this. 

I think it's more important for the development of 'Grade A' youngsters like Larkin, Mantha, and Rasmussen that they have fun coming to the rink and winning a few close games than it is for Svechnikov to play 8 minutes a night on the third line. It's better for the organization, it should be better 'long term' for Svechnikov to prove he can produce in the AHL, and should be of non-brainer level prefernce to the fan base as well. 

In response to the bolded part: according to Khan, this is what the Wings want. 

Detroit Red Wings Set Sights on Several free Agents

The Detroit Red Wings are in the middle of a rebuild, but they don't want to bottom out any further than they did in 2017-18.

They want to compete, sell tickets, draw TV viewers. They don't want to be so bad that fans lose interest.

That's why they're aiming to sign some free agents on July 1 and not just fill out their roster with prospects.

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I agree in theory with everything you've said. But I also have a wider lens and a comprehension of the fact that the the Wings, if you can take their word for it, do not want/plan to as bad as they were this year in 18/19. And I tend to agree with this. 

I think it's more important for the development of 'Grade A' youngsters like Larkin, Mantha, and Rasmussen that they have fun coming to the rink and winning a few close games than it is for Svechnikov to play 8 minutes a night on the third line. It's better for the organization, it should be better 'long term' for Svechnikov to prove he can produce in the AHL, and should be of non-brainer level prefernce to the fan base as well. 

In response to the bolded part: according to Khan, this is what the Wings want. 

Detroit Red Wings Set Sights on Several free Agents

It's funny how much things can change in just a couple months. Holland went from saying the goal is to get younger and add 2-5 young players, to not wanting to fill the roster with prospects, instead add old, washed up UFA's... because veteran leadership.

I'm not saying we should get rid of every vet, and just play the kids, but we need to get much younger. It's ridiculous that a team that is supposedly rebuilding is also the oldest team in the league, looking to get older...

I agree that we shouldn't try to bottom out, and we should try to improve on last season, but we don't need to sign Vanek or Kovalchuk to do that. We need growth from within. We need Larkin and Mantha to take another step. We need Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Svechnikov to contribute offensively. We need Zetterberg to continue doing Zetterberg things. We don't need to *add* any old guys. That's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's funny how much things can change in just a couple months. Holland went from saying the goal is to get younger and add 2-5 young players, to not wanting to fill the roster with prospects, instead add old, washed up UFA's... because veteran leadership.

I'm not saying we should get rid of every vet, and just play the kids, but we need to get much younger. It's ridiculous that a team that is supposedly rebuilding is also the oldest team in the league, looking to get older...

I agree that we shouldn't try to bottom out, and we should try to improve on last season, but we don't need to sign Vanek or Kovalchuk to do that. We need growth from within. We need Larkin and Mantha to take another step. We need Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen and Svechnikov to contribute offensively. We need Zetterberg to continue doing Zetterberg things. We don't need to *add* any old guys. That's just my opinion.

I can get with this. Seriously. I just don't think we need to be all like "f*** Holland" just for signing Vanek. It really wouldn't be a big deal. Especially if Rasmussen and Hronek/Hicketts make the team. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I can get with this. Seriously. I just don't think we need to be all like "f*** Holland" just for signing Vanek. It really wouldn't be a big deal. Especially if Rasmussen and Hronek/Hicketts make the team. 

The "F*** Holland" bit was a little tongue in cheek, but it would piss me off, along with just about every other Wings fan out there. After saying the goal is to get younger, go ahead and sign Vanek? F*** that! I guess that's why I understand some fans saying the same about re-signing Green, but our defense is such a mess, I'd be completely fine with a 1-2 year contract for Greener.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

The "F*** Holland" bit was a little tongue in cheek, but it would piss me off, along with just about every other Wings fan out there. After saying the goal is to get younger, go ahead and sign Vanek? F*** that! I guess that's why I understand some fans saying the same about re-signing Green, but our defense is such a mess, I'd be completely fine with a 1-2 year contract for Greener.

Only someone as hardcore as you would be pissed at adding a 24 goal scorer + Rasmussen + Hronek (hopefully) or Hicketts to last year's team. :lol:

10 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Only someone as hardcore as you would be pissed at adding a 24 goal scorer + Rasmussen + Hronek (hopefully) or Hicketts to last year's team. :lol:

I'd be happy with all additions minus the "24 goal scorer". IF we happen to sign Vanek or any other top nine 34 year old, you'll see how many Red Wings fans out there are "as hardcore as me"... I still doubt it happens, but yeah, I'd be a little pissed if Holland signs any aging vets in favor of promoting ready kids...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be happy with all additions minus the "24 goal scorer". IF we happen to sign Vanek or any other top nine 34 year old, you'll see how many Red Wings fans out there are "as hardcore as me"... I still doubt it happens, but yeah, I'd be a little pissed if Holland signs any aging vets in favor of promoting ready kids...

Do you really feel like Svechnikov is ready? Search your heart man, not your m/o. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You can’t say how Svech or Ras will do, plain and simple. If you keep handing over roles to old vets and keep pushing back a youth movement, you do a disservice to the rebuild.

2 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

You can’t say how Svech or Ras will do, plain and simple. If you keep handing over roles to old vets and keep pushing back a youth movement, you do a disservice to the rebuild.

This would be true if Svechnikov had produced in the AHL last year. Even if he had scored 15-20 we wouldn't be having this debate. He had seven.