• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Do you really feel like Svechnikov is ready? Search your heart man, not your m/o. 

Hey man, if you can recall my m.o. has changed quite a bit over the years. I used to always recommend prospects stay down longer, but since we're finally rebuilding, and the league in general is changing (getting much younger), I think these players are ready much sooner. And yes, I think Svechnikov is more than ready, and if utilized properly, he could be a 15-20-35 point producer this season.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hey man, if you can recall my m.o. has changed quite a bit over the years. I used to always recommend prospects stay down longer, but since we're finally rebuilding, and the league in general is changing (getting much younger), I think these players are ready much sooner. And yes, I think Svechnikov is more than ready, and if utilized properly, he could be a 15-20-35 point producer this season.

explain plz

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Trade him to whomever drafts his brother.

If it happens to be Carolina - apparently the rumor is they are willing to move 1 of their Dmen (Faulk is probably a candidate).

Agreed. Of all the whacky trade scenarios I've scene flying around these threads, this one seems to make the most sense. What do you think F?  Svechnikov + 30th plus the lower 2nd for Faulk? 

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

In the top 9, aka not on Glendening's wing in a "shutdown" role.

Give him an extended look with legitimate line mates and I think he can be a solid middle 6 winger.

What's your top 9 look like with Svechnikov in the lineup? 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

What's your top 9 look like with Svechnikov in the lineup? 

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Svechnikov

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

I know that 4th line isn't going to happen, but that's what I'd like to see...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Svechnikov

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

I know that 4th line isn't going to happen, but that's what I'd like to see...

Exactly. So knowing that that won't actaully be the 4th line, where do you see Svechnikov playing? 

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Exactly. So knowing that that won't actaully be the 4th line, where do you see Svechnikov playing? 

On the 4th... I see what you did there...

(By the way, how do you f***ers insert pics and gifs???)

So, what does your forward lines look like with Vanek on the roster?

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

On the 4th... I see what you did there...

(By the way, how do you f***ers insert pics and gifs???)

So, what does your forward lines look like with Vanek on the roster?

Until AA "gets it" he either continues to play lesser minutes or they trade his ass. And that's how it should be.

So, assuming he doesn't get traded:

Bert - Z - Nyquist

Abdlekader- Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Vanek

AA - Glendenning - Helm

If I could be convinced that Svechnikov could produce at even 75% of Vanek's level, I'd have no problem with you're 3rd line (swapping the two)

Something else we need to think about. Injuries. The ol' Griffins ain't what they used to be and if someone like Nyquist or Mantha or gets hurt and Svechnikov is already up, who gets the call? Smith the rookie? Signing Vanek = better depth.

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Uhhhhh. Samuelsson brought a little more to the Wings than Frk has. Scored some huge goals in the 07, 08, 09 playoffs. Look it up.

Yes, I remember.  But looking at his entire body of work and compensation...way overrated.  I remember (but don't have on hand so I can't provide the proof) his shoot vs. goal ratio was horrendous.  I even remember Ken Kal talking about it on numerous occasions.  He'd consistently, night-ater-night take these 30 foot wrist shots from the side boards that most goalies swallowed up.  Great shooter, that's why we kept him on the team (and then went and reacquired him)...way overrated.

38 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Until AA "gets it" he either continues to play lesser minutes or they trade his ass. And that's how it should be.

So, assuming he doesn't get traded:

Bert - Z - Nyquist

Abdlekader- Larkin - Mantha

Rasmussen - Nielsen - Vanek

AA - Glendenning - Helm

If I could be convinced that Svechnikov could produce at even 75% of Vanek's level, I'd have no problem with you're 3rd line (swapping the two)

Something else we need to think about. Injuries. The ol' Griffins ain't what they used to be and if someone like Nyquist or Mantha or gets hurt and Svechnikov is already up, who gets the call? Smith the rookie? Signing Vanek = better depth.

I'd be okay with these lines, I'd just personally have Svech in instead of signing Vanek. If there's an injury, recall Turgeon and move Athanasiou or Helm up if it's one of the top nine players.

8 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Yes, I remember.  But looking at his entire body of work and compensation...way overrated.  I remember (but don't have on hand so I can't provide the proof) his shoot vs. goal ratio was horrendous.  I even remember Ken Kal talking about it on numerous occasions.  He'd consistently, night-ater-night take these 30 foot wrist shots from the side boards that most goalies swallowed up.  Great shooter, that's why we kept him on the team (and then went and reacquired him)...way overrated.

Whatever. Picking on  Sameulsson in 2009 was cliche. making fun of him in 2018 is just ridiculous. Why not call Frk Pulkinnen 2.0. Now there's another player who was truly useless. 

I'll just leave this here so you can reflect on the man more fondly. Note the great defensive play to kick it off (his defensive game was very underrated) 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

This would be true if Svechnikov had produced in the AHL last year. Even if he had scored 15-20 we wouldn't be having this debate. He had seven. 

Because no one's looking at how Svechnikov has actually performed. The buzz from his hype is still lingering... I see a future third liner who has absolutely not earned a spot in Detroit yet, and IMO he should not be gifted one just because he was a 1st round draft pick.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Oh, totes. Veteran stopgaps are my aesthetic. Inject that s*** straight into my veins, fam.

CheerfulAthleticAustrianpinscher-size_re

Pass that s***. I want the Vanek. I need the Vanek.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I think it's best to trade Svech while he still has "potential value." If he plays 82 with us and only gets 10 points, there's no trade value left.

Yes

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Trade him to whomever drafts his brother.

If it happens to be Carolina - apparently the rumor is they are willing to move 1 of their Dmen (Faulk is probably a candidate).

OMG YES

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Because no one's looking at how Svechnikov has actually performed. The buzz from his hype is still lingering... I see a future third liner who has absolutely not earned a spot in Detroit yet, and IMO he should not be gifted one just because he was a 1st round draft pick.

I was never really "HYPED" about Svechnikov, but I believe the "sophomore slump" is a real thing. He score 51 points in 74 games in his rookie season. Svech will be fine.

52 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Whatever. Picking on  Sameulsson in 2009 was cliche. making fun of him in 2018 is just ridiculous. Why not call Frk Pulkinnen 2.0. Now there's another player who was truly useless. 

I'll just leave this here so you can reflect on the man more fondly. Note the great defensive play to kick it off (his defensive game was very underrated) 

Are you Samuelsson's mom?? (kidding).  Easy.... not making fun with spite, just a comment in which i was drawing a comparison.  Hard shot and overrated/overpaid.  And...It wasn't cliche, it was pretty true based on what most in the media around here were talking about at the time.  BTW...when reflecting on your own team's past successes....aren't all goals in the playoffs pretty big??  I thought you might insert a video of Boyd Devereaux and his important goals from the 2002 playoffs as a justification.  Those bring back fond memories as well.

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If we are entertaining Nyquist and/or Athanasiou (before the season)... 

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha (grinder/net front presence-playmaker-sniper/power forward)
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Svechnikov (playmaker-playmaker-power forward/sniper)
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Abdelkader (power forward/net front-playmaker-grinder)  *I would prefer Helm on this line over Abdelkader
Turgeon-Glendening-Helm (grinders with a little playmaking ability (Turgeon & Helm))
Witkowski (waste of a roster spot)

This is not to say that I don't agree that we should look into trading Svechnikov if it nets us something we need (defense, good pick).

Edited by SwedeLundin77

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

If we are entertaining Nyquist and/or Athanasiou (before the season)... 

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha (grinder/net front presence-playmaker-sniper/power forward)
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Svechnikov (playmaker-playmaker-power forward/sniper)
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Abdelkader (power forward/net front-playmaker-grinder)  *I would prefer Helm on this line over Abdelkader
Turgeon-Glendening-Helm (grinders with a little playmaking ability (Turgeon & Helm))
Witkowski (waste of a roster spot)

This is not to say that I don't agree that we should look into trading Svechnikov if it nets us something we need (defense, good pick).

You think Svechnikov deserves / has earned/ has proven he should be a top 6 winger? 

smh

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You think Svechnikov deserves / has earned/ has proven he should be a top 6 winger? 

smh

I think we are a rebuilding team and sometimes you give guys a chance. Svechnikov in his time last season played a very sound game. He didn't set the world on fire, but he also didn't play jack for minutes or any time on the man advantage. You asked a question, I'm just giving my answer. I'm sure as s***e not putting Abdelkader or Helm on the 2nd line, so in that scenario, what do you do? Shun the kid to crap minutes or let him learn from Zetterberg? Quit acting like we are the 2010 team and consider that times change and they need youth to take steps and grow. Do you think Rasmussen has proven he's a top 9 player since he hasn't played pro hockey yet? 

yada yada yada

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I think we are a rebuilding team and sometimes you give guys a chance. Svechnikov in his time last season played a very sound game. He didn't set the world on fire, but he also didn't play jack for minutes or any time on the man advantage. You asked a question, I'm just giving my answer. I'm sure as s***e not putting Abdelkader or Helm on the 2nd line, so in that scenario, what do you do? Shun the kid to crap minutes or let him learn from Zetterberg? Quit acting like we are the 2010 team and consider that times change and they need youth to take steps and grow. Do you think Rasmussen has proven he's a top 9 player since he hasn't played pro hockey yet? 

yada yada yada

Put him back in AHL where he belongs