• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

If we are entertaining Nyquist and/or Athanasiou (before the season)... 

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha (grinder/net front presence-playmaker-sniper/power forward)
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Svechnikov (playmaker-playmaker-power forward/sniper)
Rasmussen-Nielsen-Abdelkader (power forward/net front-playmaker-grinder)  *I would prefer Helm on this line over Abdelkader
Turgeon-Glendening-Helm (grinders with a little playmaking ability (Turgeon & Helm))
Witkowski (waste of a roster spot)

This is not to say that I don't agree that we should look into trading Svechnikov if it nets us something we need (defense, good pick).

Svech is that good, but you still had to trade away AA to get him in. At least KRS only wants to not make the team better; you actually had to make it worse.

Svech is not at the stage where we need put him on the Wings or get rid of him. You say we're rebuilding, need to get younger, let the kids grow...but you're ignoring the fact that even if he plays in the AHL, he'll still be the same age, still be part of the future, part of the rebuild, still be developing, it's not going to lower his ceiling or stunt his growth. Before you try to argue with me on that ask yourself if you're going to give up on him if he does end up in GR this year. You won't, and you shouldn't, and thus shouldn't act like it'd be hurting the rebuild.

The only potential negative, if you could even call it that, is that if he does end up sucking it takes another year or two to find out. On the flip side, it he's good his bridge deal should be a bargain.

2 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

...what do you do? Shun the kid to crap minutes or let him learn from Zetterberg? Quit acting like we are the 2010 team and consider that times change and they need youth to take steps and grow. ...

Why should there be any crap minutes for anyone? It's like you're almost trying to have a bad 4th line. Why are people so intent on having a 4th line that can't score, and isn't even that good defensively? I might be the only guy around here who thinks Glendening is a decent 4th-liner, but it seems I might also be the only guy here who thinks it's feasible that we could build a roster that doesn't include him in the lineup.

As it stands we have three open forward spots. (Four if you include Witko. The 14th spot isn't a position you should use for a prospect, but if anyone really wants to see Turgeon scratched 56 times, hey, whatever.) Ras, Svech, Frk, Turgeon, Pope, UFA...those are the options. There's room for a Vanek type and still have a couple kids. 

Mantha-Larkin-Ras

Nyquist-Z-Abby

Vaenk-Nielsen-Helm

Svech-AA-Bert

Four lines that could be dangerous, but also do some grinding, play defense or at least bring high energy. Wingers on each side largely interchangeable, or could go to a defensive line with more skill on another, or swap Helm/Ras to center if AA isn't cutting it.

If I'm going to be optimistic, this is the kind of thing I'd be looking for. I don't get how some people can be so optimistic about these kids, but at the same time so pessimistic that you think we need to remove any competition.

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

Svech is that good, but you still had to trade away AA to get him in. At least KRS only wants to not make the team better; you actually had to make it worse.

Svech is not at the stage where we need put him on the Wings or get rid of him. You say we're rebuilding, need to get younger, let the kids grow...but you're ignoring the fact that even if he plays in the AHL, he'll still be the same age, still be part of the future, part of the rebuild, still be developing, it's not going to lower his ceiling or stunt his growth. Before you try to argue with me on that ask yourself if you're going to give up on him if he does end up in GR this year. You won't, and you shouldn't, and thus shouldn't act like it'd be hurting the rebuild.

The only potential negative, if you could even call it that, is that if he does end up sucking it takes another year or two to find out. On the flip side, it he's good his bridge deal should be a bargain.

Why should there be any crap minutes for anyone? It's like you're almost trying to have a bad 4th line. Why are people so intent on having a 4th line that can't score, and isn't even that good defensively? I might be the only guy around here who thinks Glendening is a decent 4th-liner, but it seems I might also be the only guy here who thinks it's feasible that we could build a roster that doesn't include him in the lineup.

As it stands we have three open forward spots. (Four if you include Witko. The 14th spot isn't a position you should use for a prospect, but if anyone really wants to see Turgeon scratched 56 times, hey, whatever.) Ras, Svech, Frk, Turgeon, Pope, UFA...those are the options. There's room for a Vanek type and still have a couple kids. 

Mantha-Larkin-Ras

Nyquist-Z-Abby

Vaenk-Nielsen-Helm

Svech-AA-Bert

Four lines that could be dangerous, but also do some grinding, play defense or at least bring high energy. Wingers on each side largely interchangeable, or could go to a defensive line with more skill on another, or swap Helm/Ras to center if AA isn't cutting it.

If I'm going to be optimistic, this is the kind of thing I'd be looking for. I don't get how some people can be so optimistic about these kids, but at the same time so pessimistic that you think we need to remove any competition.

I think most people would prefer a roster consisting of 4 quality scoring lines. You're definitely not the only one that wouldn't include Glendening in his roster. I like those lines a lot. The problem is, the same way Blashill won't demote Helm and Abdelkader to the 4th line, he won't scratch Glendening. If we're going for best possible lines, this is pretty damn close, but unfortunately, it would never happen...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think most people would prefer a roster consisting of 4 quality scoring lines. You're definitely not the only one that wouldn't include Glendening in his roster. I like those lines a lot. The problem is, the same way Blashill won't demote Helm and Abdelkader to the 4th line, he won't scratch Glendening. If we're going for best possible lines, this is pretty damn close, but unfortunately, it would never happen...

Why would you think he wouldn't? Because you think every kid in the system is better than Helm and Abby, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise? Our 4th line last year was usually some combination Glendening, Booth, Witko, or Frk. Been a while since we've had 9 forwards better than Helm/Abby, and I don't think we've had 12 better than Glendening since he's been here.

In the last three years Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Bertuzzi have all jumped over Glendening on the depth chart, and all did it while still waiver exempt. Ras could easily do it this year. If you don't think Svech could do it, you're either not paying attention or you don't really believe he's good enough. 

I'm not saying Svech will, or should, take Glendening's spot, or even that Ras should definitely get a spot. May not even be something Svech could accomplish in camp. Someone else (Ras or AA probably) likely needs to take his PK spot first, or Svech show he's a good enough scorer to justify it. He might not be. But it is at least a possibility. Point is, it's something he should earn, not be given because we're afraid he can't.

4 hours ago, Buppy said:

Mantha-Larkin-Ras

Nyquist-Z-Abby

Vaenk-Nielsen-Helm

Svech-AA-Bert

So Ras deserves 1st kind minutes right out the gate? Funny how you s*** on one guy who had a solid first pro season but hurl a true rookie into 1st lime minutes. Not to mention tossing Bert on the 4th line after playing great hockey on the 1st this past season. Abby on the 2nd line? Hahaha, we don’t have Datsyuk for him to lean on anymore. At least I attempted to balance the lines somewhat. It’s garbage to work with in the first place, but yeesh. Yep, sooo pessimistic... that is usually your m.o.

33 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Why would you think he wouldn't? Because you think every kid in the system is better than Helm and Abby, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise? Our 4th line last year was usually some combination Glendening, Booth, Witko, or Frk. Been a while since we've had 9 forwards better than Helm/Abby, and I don't think we've had 12 better than Glendening since he's been here.

In the last three years Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Bertuzzi have all jumped over Glendening on the depth chart, and all did it while still waiver exempt. Ras could easily do it this year. If you don't think Svech could do it, you're either not paying attention or you don't really believe he's good enough. 

I'm not saying Svech will, or should, take Glendening's spot, or even that Ras should definitely get a spot. May not even be something Svech could accomplish in camp. Someone else (Ras or AA probably) likely needs to take his PK spot first, or Svech show he's a good enough scorer to justify it. He might not be. But it is at least a possibility. Point is, it's something he should earn, not be given because we're afraid he can't.

Not afraid he can’t, never said I thought so. I just don’t prescribe to Blashill’s silly line juggling and crapping all over young guys while letting vets get away with everything. The reality is that Blash won’t roll four lines like that. In your scenario, AA, Svech, and Bert would get 8-10 minutes a night and that’s a joke for three offensively gifted youngster with lots of energy. Abdelkader should never see top 6 time. He’s a bottom 6 forward. I’d rather Svech learn while playing alongside Zetterberg than alongside AA who has proven that his work ethic is questionable at times. I get what you’re saying about Svech staying in the AHL another season, but find it funny you followed that up with having him in the lineup anyway.

I would rather play Svech top 6 than any FA mentioned above. For the LONGTERM succes we need to stay away from Vanek/Kovalchuk. Let's suck again this year next draft is another one which should be nice. Better be top 5 worst team for another year than chasing playoff without playoff contender team.

5 hours ago, Buppy said:

What are you talking about? Did you even read what I said? I was basically agreeing with you, minus the part about Glendening being scratched... You actually think there's a remote possibility Blashill will healthy scratch Glendening? Not a chance.

Where did I say that any kid was better than Helm and Abdelkader, let alone "every kid in the system"?... I simply think Helm and Abdelkader, along with Glendening would be a great "shutdown line". That's why I suggested forming that 4th line, bot because I think Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov, Rasmussen, or whoever else are necessarily better than them. You don't think we have 12 better forwards than Glendening but yet you're suggesting we should scratch him? Okay...

Where did I say that Svechnikov couldn't jump ahead of Glendening? You're not making any sense...

20 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

To Holland's defense, I believe he said that he wanted 4-5 new players on the team including kids. Paraphrasing of course.

Ras, Hronek, #6 overall, New goalie, Vanek....maybe.

No, he was referring to prospects specifically. At least that's what he said. Whether he meant it or not, time will tell...

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

NewWholeCurassow-max-1mb.gif

Are you praying for Karlsson or Kovy? Or are you praying against either of them?

I think Karlsson will cost too much honestly. Not sure I'd be willing to see what it would cost. :crazy:

...and I hate that I cannot watch videos on TSN.CA! UGH!

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Are you praying for Karlsson or Kovy? Or are you praying against either of them?

I think Karlsson will cost too much honestly. Not sure I'd be willing to see what it would cost. :crazy:

...and I hate that I cannot watch videos on TSN.CA! UGH!

1. Both our 1sts + Athanasiou + Svechnikov + Ouellet for Karlsson + whatever other depth players they need to lob in

2. Sign Kovy

3. Profit?

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

1. Both our 1sts + Athanasiou + Svechnikov + Ouellet for Karlsson + whatever other depth players they need to lob in

2. Sign Kovy

3. Profit?

We still miss the playoffs and Karlsson walks after the season... Terrible trade.

Smart. Hopefully Holland "stays the course" as well...

I'd be open to signing Tavares or Carlson at the right price. Stay away from any other big name free agents / trades...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

We still miss the playoffs and Karlsson walks after the season... Terrible trade.

Smart. Hopefully Holland "stays the course" as well...

I'd be open to signing Tavares or Carlson at the right price. Stay away from any other big name free agents / trades...

Lol, that's why you work out a deal, on all but paper, with Karlsson before the trade is completed.

You want generational talent, you gotta give. Ouellet, AA, and Svech wouldn't be missed at all.

How much would you have demanded for 1999 Lidstrom? A kings ransom right? Our chances of drafting a player like Karlsson, even with high picks, is beyond slim. And players of his level almost never hit the market like this. We should be throwing the moon at Ottawa if we are at all interested.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

2. Sign Kovy

3. Profit?

I knew you were an underpants gnome, I'd prefer a 4-point plan, though

ztjn2ms.jpg

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

2. Sign Kovy

3. Profit?

Ok, but we better hope Cholowski and Hronek work out to one of them being a top pairing.

They'd probably want us to take Bobby Ryan as well. In which I'd try to flip him back to Anaheim.

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lol, that's why you work out a deal, on all but paper, with Karlsson before the trade is completed.

You want generational talent, you gotta give. Ouellet, AA, and Svech wouldn't be missed at all.

How much would you have demanded for 1999 Lidstrom? A kings ransom right? Our chances of drafting a player like Karlsson, even with high picks, is beyond slim. And players of his level almost never hit the market like this. We should be throwing the moon at Ottawa if we are at all interested.

I always hear "work out a deal before the trade", but is that even legal? Isn't it against the CBA to negotiate with a player under contract with another team?

If we could work out some sort of handshake deal beforehand (again, I don't think we can), I don't think that package would be enough.

I'm not saying your proposed package is too high a price to pay (likely the opposite), I'm saying it's too high a price to pay for any pending UFA.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Ok, but we better hope Cholowski and Hronek work out to one of them being a top pairing.

They'd probably want us to take Bobby Ryan as well. In which I'd try to flip him back to Anaheim.

I disagree actually. I don't think Karlsson needs another phenomenal partner to be paired with him, he just needs a partner that compliments him. I firmly believe that player is Ericsson. Remember Karlsson/Methot... Methot was nothing to write home about alone, but together they were a fantastic pairing. Methot did the boring stay at home stuff that freed up Karlsson to wheel and deal. I very much think we can recreate that with Karlsson/Ericsson.

Ericsson - Karlssson -------- I think that's a legit first pairing in this league
Dekesyer - Daley ------------ Not a phenomenal 2nd pairing, but definitely not bad either.
Kronwall - Jensen ------------ Jensen's mobility paired with Kronwall's skills and immobility could be an underrated 3rd pair
Hicketts

A player like Karlsson would simply change the entire face of our defense.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I always hear "work out a deal before the trade", but is that even legal? Isn't it against the CBA to negotiate with a player under contract with another team?

If we could work out some sort of handshake deal beforehand (again, I don't think we can), I don't think that package would be enough.

I'm not saying your proposed package is too high a price to pay (likely the opposite), I'm saying it's too high a price to pay for any pending UFA.

I believe you can speak with the player when the team grants permission. The conversation could be as simple as: "Erik we want you to re-up long-term around the ballpark of 9 million AAV, are we a team you'd be willing to commit to?" If there's any hesitation you don't do the deal.