• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Funny how his tune has changed from the end of the season... 3-5 kids making the roster to 2-3 now. And even the way he's phrasing things, it wouldn't surprise me if only 1 makes the roster. Let's get OLDER!!! YAY!

I mean, to be fair, Vanek did manage to put up 24 goals and 56 points this past season -- and he did it while playing for two low-scoring teams in the Canucks and Jackets. Mantha put up 24 goals and 48 points. Larkin put up 16 goals and 63 points. AA put up 16 goals and 33 points. Zetterberg is arguably our best playmaker and he could miss time this season, depending on how his back is holding up. So I think the "maybe Vanek can help our pitiful offense" reasoning is sound. I like that the org wants to see what the team can do with actual scoring depth (goodbye, Abdelkader-Nielsen-Helm shutdown line! You won't be missed!) and a functional power play.

As for the kids getting jobbed...eh, I don't see that. At least not at the forward position. Rasmussen is reportedly pencilled into the top-nine. When was the last time the Wings Brass had an 18/19-year-old -- one who hasn't played a single game of pro or even college hockey -- pencilled into the top-nine? Svechnikov's coming off a really rough season; he needs to build himself back up and get his feet back under him and the NHL probably isn't the best place for that. I truly believe Holland and Blashill genuinely want Zadina on the roster on opening night. I think he's going to be given a fair shot at making the team. (Worth keeping in mind: "2018 Red Wings draft selection who has a real shot at making the team out of camp" wasn't even a thing until about a week ago.) Even if Zadina doesn't make the cut, our forward group is slowly but surely getting younger. Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen. Nyquist's days in Detroit are probably numbered. Vanek is, for now, a one-year commitment. Z could be done after this season.

The D corps is old and bad. Take away Green and you make it younger...and probably worse. Hicketts isn't as good as Green. Hronek probably deserves to be on the opening night roster, and I think Blashill's Will Butcher comparison is pretty telling that Blashill likes him and would like to see him muscle his way into regular duty on the Wings' blue line this season. But I doubt swapping out Jensen or Hicketts for Hronek makes our defense considerably better this season. Beyond Hronek and Cholowski, there really just isn't much to be excited about in the defense pipeline (in stark contrast to the forward pipeline). That we're going with pretty much the same D corps as we did last year is, to me, an indictment of our drafting. But Kronwall's done after this season, Ericsson's done in two years, Daley has two more years, Green has two more years, Jensen and Hicketts probably don't have futures in Detroit beyond the next year or two...so, in theory, we're going to see considerable roster turnover at the D position over the next several years.

Also worth noting: we're well positioned to have a s***-ton of cap space to play with next summer.

12 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

"s

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/canes-sign-goaltender-mrazek-to-1-year-deal/17667968/

The 26-year-old signed a one-year deal with the Hurricanes worth $1.5 million.

Is it just me or have the Wings become a feeder system for the Hurricanes?

Frickin' commies.

7 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Also worth noting: we're well positioned to have a s***-ton of cap space to play with next summer.

Is it just me or have the Wings become a feeder system for the NHL?

Frickin' commies.

Fixed.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/07/01/report-van-riemsdyk-sign-flyers

Left winger James van Riemsdyk signed with the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, inking a five-year contract worth a reported $35 million.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

RECENT TRADES

DATE TRADE DETAILS
Jul 1, 2018Discuss Trade
Buffalo Sabres
Tage Thompson · $925,000
Patrik Berglund · $3,850,000
Vladimír Sobotka · $3,500,000
2019 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
Sum: $8,275,000
Change:+$775,000
trade.svg
St. Louis Blues
Ryan O'Reilly · $7,500,000
Sum: 7,500,000
Change:-$775,000

Great trade. ROR is legit and finally gets out of the hole that is Buffalo. 

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

RECENT TRADES

DATE TRADE DETAILS
Jul 1, 2018Discuss Trade
Buffalo Sabres
Tage Thompson · $925,000
Patrik Berglund · $3,850,000
Vladimír Sobotka · $3,500,000
2019 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
Sum: $8,275,000
Change:+$775,000
trade.svg
St. Louis Blues
Ryan O'Reilly · $7,500,000
Sum: 7,500,000
Change:-$775,000

Always thought ROR was overrated, especially at that salary. Sabres are getting back a pivot 3rd liner in Sobotka and a rookie 3rd line winger in Thompson along with a 2nd liner in Berglund. Actually, the Blues traded away all 3 forwards on their 2nd PP unit. Not a lot in terms of roster players for Buffalo, but that 1st rounder next summer could be a middling pick in another deep draft and they should get a quality player there. All-in-all, I think the Sabres win this trade.

10 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

Wow, leafs have a very bright next few years.

Tavares contract will complicate things when Matthews, Nylander, Marner, etc are due for new deals. Plus, i think having JT around might not make Matthews very happy. He was supposed to be the franchise player for years to come. All of a sudden he's got Tavares to compete with.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

So Mrazek signs with Carolina, Coreau with Anaheim. It was about this time last year that a lot of us felt that those two were going to be our tandem moving forward....yet Jimmy still stands!

Didn't know about Anaheim signing Coreau. Is it a depth move? For their sake, I hope so.

NM, it is a two way deal. 650k NHL, 450k AHL. lol

Edited by chaps80

I don't like that Tavares deal in Toronto. As mentioned, I live in the Toronto area, people here are excited, but I don't think that was very smart. Before Tavares, they would have had to lose either Matthews, Marner, or Nylander, to keep the other two. Now they have to lose two of them with Tavares. Tavares is now the guy they're building around. Just like that, their long term plans changed.

The Leafs didn't need another forward, they need defensemen.

38 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

Personally I would LOVE to see the JT deal blow back in their faces. Can you imagine if they just suck this year? That would be hilarious!

They need defensemen, unless they get lucky, I don't know how they'll get them. The Leafs may have rebuild too fast, if that makes sense. They're out of a good drafting position now.

I watched most of the Leafs-Bruins series, and I wasn't impressed with how the Leafs played in their own zone. I would have expected, if Babcock is this great coach, he would have had his defensemen play better positional hockey.

I'm starting to wonder if the Leafs will only be a 105 point team, who's all offense, and won't get to that next level.

2 hours ago, Barrie said:

I don't like that Tavares deal in Toronto. As mentioned, I live in the Toronto area, people here are excited, but I don't think that was very smart. Before Tavares, they would have had to lose either Matthews, Marner, or Nylander, to keep the other two. Now they have to lose two of them with Tavares. Tavares is now the guy they're building around. Just like that, their long term plans changed.

The Leafs didn't need another forward, they need defensemen.

1 minute ago, Barrie said:

They need defensemen, unless they get lucky, I don't know how they'll get them. The Leafs may have rebuild too fast, if that makes sense. They're out of a good drafting position now.

I watched most of the Leafs-Bruins series, and I wasn't impressed with how the Leafs played in their own zone. I would have expected, if Babcock is this great coach, he would have had his defensemen play better positional hockey.

I'm starting to wonder if the Leafs will only be a 105 point team, who's all offense, and won't get to that next level.

As much as I'd love this to be a bad thing for the Leafs, it's not. And unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, there's no way to spin this signing into a negative. They won't need to lose two of Matthews, Marner, Nylander. They'll likely lose one (my guess would be Nylander), and that will be in a trade for a top 3 defenseman. As much as I hate it, the Leafs are putting together a power-house team. Will it bring them a Cup? Time will tell, but I certainly hope not.

They have one of, if not the best top 9 forward groups in the league. I don't see any team having any better center depth than Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, whoever. Their defense is bad now, but Rielly is a legit top pair defenseman and Dermott looks like he could be as well in couple years time. Gardiner is a legit top 4 defenseman. Then they have two promising prospects with top 4 potential in Liljegren and Sandin. That's all in house. They will also likely have that trade chip in Nylander to acquire a legit top pair defenseman to pair with Rielly.

I f***ing hate it, but the Leafs are going to be a damn good team for the next decade, and the Tavares signing solidified that.

Yep. I hate me some Leafs. But everyone bitchin about Toronto and praying for the Tavares deal to backfire and for the team to fail just sound like 1996-2009  Leaf fans talking about Detroit. Jealousy. 

We should aspire to be classier than that. 

39 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yep. I hate me some Leafs. But everyone bitchin about Toronto and praying for the Tavares deal to backfire and for the team to fail just sound like 1996-2009  Leaf fans talking about Detroit. Jealousy. 

We should aspire to be classier than that. 

I think a lot of us also want to see Babcock fail specifically. How dare he choose another gir-.... COUGH..... team over us!