• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

In saying that, if the Canes are selling low on Faulk (I doubt it), and really want Svechnikov (I don't think this is as much of a thing as fans want it to be...), I'd make that trade straight up (even throw in a pick) in a heartbeat.

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

In saying that, if the Canes are selling low on Faulk (I doubt it), and really want Svechnikov (I don't think this is as much of a thing as fans want it to be...), I'd make that trade straight up (even throw in a pick) in a heartbeat.

I mean, didn't we (Wings Fans) want it to be "a thing"

Nevermind. Reading is fundamental.

Edited by e_prime

10 minutes ago, e_prime said:

I mean, didn't we (Wings Fans) want it to be "a thing"

Nevermind. Reading is fundamental.

Yeah, the "thing" being the Canes wanting to reunite the Svech bros. I'm sure they'd entertain the idea, but I doubt he'd be a prime target.

30 minutes ago, dmbongreyst said:

The Hurricanes don’t need to look at Vancouver for inspiration when they did the same thing with the Staal brothers. 

Different circumstances. Stall brothers were much older and Jordan was brought in years later. The Svecnikov brothers would be basically starting both of their careers together in Carolina.

43 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

His numbers have been in decline these past couple of seasons. By the time the Wings contend, he would be older and likely worse than what he has been. A rebuilding team should not be trading for a second pairing at best dman when he'd hit his 30s before we contend again. There is also no guarantee he would even stick around for this team to contend, being a UFA in a couple of seasons. The move makes no sense for this team right now. 

Trading for Faulk is something a team does to gear up for a playoff run. Not something the Wings should be doing right now. Holland gotta keep thinking long term here. Faulk is a short term fix. No thanks. 

Disagree here. I see Faulk as a top pair guy, and a RH one at that. Yes he is a little old to be a building block, but not so old that he wouldn't still be a solid performer when the team is competitive again. I would be willing to make a trade that involves some combination of AA or Svech, just not our 2019 1st rounder.

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. I was a huge Faulk fan a few years ago, still am, but I don't think it's the ideal move for us right now.

If we're trading with Carolina, I'd prefer to go after Bean. He would likely be a fair bit cheaper, under team control, doesn't hit restricted free agency for another 3 seasons, and would likely re-sign at a reasonable cap hit, and is right in that age group with the rest of our young core. He may not ever become as good as Faulk (I think he will), but we wouldn't be paying the high price either.

If the price to acquire involved AA or Svech, I wouldn't consider that a big loss. If Svech is a middle 6 winger, then he could be replaced by Givani Smith. AA doesn't seem to fit in with the team and likely isn't going to be with the team long term. If giving up a replaceable middle 6 winger and a disgruntled F who we would probably lose in free agency anyway gets us Faulk, its worth it IMO. I would consider giving up both players if it meant we didn't have to give up a 1st, assuming the return is Faulk plus a later pick.

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, the "thing" being the Canes wanting to reunite the Svech bros. I'm sure they'd entertain the idea, but I doubt he'd be a prime target.

Then I return to my previous question:  If not Svech? What is it that the Wings have that the Canes might want?  Is AA the cornerstone piece?  If so... then in a friggin' heartbeat I move the guy. For all the reasons mentioned by Neo.

Edited by e_prime

47 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Different circumstances. Stall brothers were much older and Jordan was brought in years later. The Svecnikov brothers would be basically starting both of their careers together in Carolina.

Disagree here. I see Faulk as a top pair guy, and a RH one at that. Yes he is a little old to be a building block, but not so old that he wouldn't still be a solid performer when the team is competitive again. I would be willing to make a trade that involves some combination of AA or Svech, just not our 2019 1st rounder.

If the price to acquire involved AA or Svech, I wouldn't consider that a big loss. If Svech is a middle 6 winger, then he could be replaced by Givani Smith. AA doesn't seem to fit in with the team and likely isn't going to be with the team long term. If giving up a replaceable middle 6 winger and a disgruntled F who we would probably lose in free agency anyway gets us Faulk, its worth it IMO. I would consider giving up both players if it meant we didn't have to give up a 1st, assuming the return is Faulk plus a later pick.

41 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Then I return to my previous question:  If not Svech? What is it that the Wings have that the Canes might want?  Is AA the cornerstone piece?  If so... then in a friggin' heartbeat I move the guy. For all the reasons mentioned by Neo.

If all it took to get Faulk was Svechnikov or Athanasiou and a 2nd or 3rd round pick, like I said, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, I think it would cost a lot more than that. I think they'd want Mantha or Rasmussen, and for me that would be a Hell No!...

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

If all it took to get Faulk was Svechnikov or Athanasiou and a 2nd or 3rd round pick, like I said, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, I think it would cost a lot more than that. I think they'd want Mantha or Rasmussen, and for me that would be a Hell No!...

I'm finding it really hard to get a read on Faulk's trade value to the 'canes. Some people are saying they'd be fine with moving him for futures. Some people are saying they'd want a top forward.

Whatever the case may be, I really doubt we're getting him. I think he makes more sense for a team like Edmonton.

Edited by Dabura

11 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm finding it really hard to get a read on Faulk's trade value to the 'canes. Some people are saying they'd be fine with moving him for futures. Some people are saying they'd want a top forward.

Whatever the case may be, I really doubt we're getting him. I think he makes more sense for a team like Edmonton.

Or Toronto

So Lamoriello is Toronto GM with an agreement that he'll step away from Toronto to make way for Dubas when the timing is right.

Apparently that right timing coincides with exactly the same time Toronto/Mississauga native, elite center, Johan Tavares is set to leaves the Islanders via FA.

Lou then becomes GM of the Islanders

John Tavares then signs with Toronto

Lou then trades with Toronto to get an overpaid Matt Martin, giving Toronto cap relief.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy going on and Lou is a double agent, but I also don't trust Italians who've spent that much time in New Jersey...

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So Lamoriello is Toronto GM with an agreement that he'll step away from Toronto to make way for Dubas when the timing is right.

Apparently that right timing coincides with exactly the same time Toronto/Mississauga native, elite center, Johan Tavares is set to leaves the Islanders via FA.

Lou then becomes GM of the Islanders

John Tavares then signs with Toronto

Lou then trades with Toronto to get an overpaid Matt Martin, giving Toronto cap relief.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy going on and Lou is a double agent, but I also don't trust Italians who've spent that much time in New Jersey...

Illuminati confirmed.

What's sad is, Toronto won the $11M man, and STILL has $20M+ in cap space (including Horton's LTIR) and only needs to sign (promote) 5 players up front and 1 defender to have 14/7/2. Sheesh...I thought Holland was the cap genius.

I know they are going to have to be careful because they are going to end up paying Matthews $11M-ish next season as well, but at least for one year they are looking pretty good money-wise.

Edited by LeftWinger

15 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Illuminati confirmed.

What's sad is, Toronto won the $11M man, and STILL has $20M+ in cap space (including Horton's LTIR) and only needs to sign (promote) 5 players up front and 1 defender to have 14/7/2. Sheesh...I thought Holland was the cap genius.

I know they are going to have to be careful because they are going to end up paying Matthews $11M-ish next season as well, but at least for one year they are looking pretty good money-wise.

Who told you that?

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Calvin DaHaan to Carolina.  

So with him and Hamilton, and Bean looking to make it to the NHL, could this speed up the Faulk trade?

Yes. Even without Bean they have 7 D. I think the Hamilton trade makes him trade bait. Problem for the Canes is that everyone knows that.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Karlsson just started following Stammer's private twitter account... The deal is all but confirmed.

Likely they need a 3rd party to make the deal - which will definitely be a complicated transaction - work.

Parity is a lie. Eliminate the salary cap. I demand a lockout.