• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

On 7/21/2018 at 12:15 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Absolutely agree with you here. And although its tempting, I will forego any response to the "bigger holes on the back end" part.

I did leave that WIDE OPEN didn't I?

On 7/22/2018 at 4:32 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The true solution is to draft a great Dman for once.

You don't say?  :g:

On 7/22/2018 at 9:10 PM, F.Michael said:

Is Trouba gonna spend his entire career negotiating 1, or 2 year deals?

If he stays with the Jets... it certainly seems that way.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:06 PM, LeftWinger said:

There's no chance Winnipeg doesn't accept that award.

I don't think they can not accept it.  It would be ridiculous to not.  ...BUT IT'S BEEN 48 HOURS WHY HAS THERE BEEN NO WORD?!?

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The tradition continues...

https://news.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/the-capitals-have-reportedly-bent-the-stanley-cup

Almost certainly the most infamous incident of the Cup being damage was an incident involved the 1972 Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs won the Cup that year 

LOL....What?

:lol: Idiots try more like 1967 the last time the Leafs won the cup.

Today, Trouba's signing finally showed up as official on TSN. He is an RFA WITH arbitration rights AGAIN next summer. Someone said something earlier, what is he going to do just keep going a year at a time? If he is not happy with how the Jets are treating him, he needs to request a trade out of there. He wanted $7M, they wanted $4M (insult) and he got the $5.5M, but even, in todays market, is too low for him. I'd gladly be fine with giving him $6.5M for 7 seasons, but it looks like he is gong to just keep this up until he is a UFA and then he won't have but 3-4 good seasons left in him.

27 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Today, Trouba's signing finally showed up as official on TSN. He is an RFA WITH arbitration rights AGAIN next summer. Someone said something earlier, what is he going to do just keep going a year at a time? If he is not happy with how the Jets are treating him, he needs to request a trade out of there. He wanted $7M, they wanted $4M (insult) and he got the $5.5M, but even, in todays market, is too low for him. I'd gladly be fine with giving him $6.5M for 7 seasons, but it looks like he is gong to just keep this up until he is a UFA and then he won't have but 3-4 good seasons left in him.

If he gets another 1 year ruling next offseason, he’d be an unrestricted free agent the following year. He’ll be 26. I’d bet on him having more than 3-4 good seasons left if he keeps going to arbitration until he hits UFA at 26 years old.

1 minute ago, amato said:

If he gets another 1 year ruling next offseason, he’d be an unrestricted free agent the following year. He’ll be 26. I’d bet on him having more than 3-4 good seasons left if he keeps going to arbitration until he hits UFA at 26 years old.

Oh, that is good to hear! I didn't know that.

2 minutes ago, amato said:

Trouba will be a Red Wings by the 2020 season...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Trouba will be a Red Wings by the 2020 season...

That would be great. I guess if I were hoping on that, I wouldn't try to get Karlsson via UFA in 2019 then....decisions, decisions. (there goes my 2019 rebuild plan!) :lol:

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Oh, that is good to hear! I didn't know that.

Good indeed! I’d still bet on him staying in Winnipeg but hopefully not and at least we’ll finally know for sure in a couple years :P 

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That would be great. I guess if I were hoping on that, I wouldn't try to get Karlsson via UFA in 2019 then....decisions, decisions. (there goes my 2019 rebuild plan!) :lol:

Counter argument: Karlsson-Trouba top pairing :D 

38 minutes ago, amato said:

Good indeed! I’d still bet on him staying in Winnipeg but hopefully not and at least we’ll finally know for sure in a couple years :P 

Counter argument: Karlsson-Trouba top pairing :D 

That would be great, but in that thread I also advocated pursuing Bobvrosky. I do believe all three would be a tad bit expensive :lol:. But ya, if I had to choose 2 of the three, having a top pair of Karlsson and Trouba would be the choice for me!

(in 2-3 years)

Trouba - Karlsson

Cholowski - Hronek

Dekeyser - McIsaac

I think that would be a very nice 6 D!

Edited by LeftWinger

42 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Jason Zucker just re-signed with the Wild. Similar numbers (he's a tad older) and also coming off an RFA contract. He signed 5yrs. $5.5M AAV. That is something I'd love to see Larkin sign for or 6yrs $5M AAV.

I don't see there being much of a comparison there to be honest. Zucker is 5 years older, left wing, and only now starting to put up good numbers. If anything I see Zucker as a player for Larkin's camp to point to as to why he should get paid much more, not less...

I'd love to see Larkin sign that sort of contract, but I just don't see it.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't see there being much of a comparison there to be honest. Zucker is 5 years older, left wing, and only now starting to put up good numbers. If anything I see Zucker as a player for Larkin's camp to point to as to why he should get paid much more, not less...

So a guy who scored 63 points  on a team that missed thwas playoffs by 100 points should be getting laid 6 million+ per year? 

11 minutes ago, kylee said:

So a guy who scored 63 points  on a team that missed thwas playoffs by 100 points should be getting laid 6 million+ per year? 

Umm yeah... That's what he's worth... What does missing the playoffs have to do with Larkin's contract?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think "a (21 year old, top line center and future captain) who scored 63 points on a team that missed the playoffs" is worth?

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin had a terrible 2nd year and last year he definitely improved but that's still not reliable. I wouldn't be surprised if Holland uses that as leverage to get him to sign for $5.5 x6 or something. Larkin wants $6 x 6 though.  

Edited by kickazz

48 minutes ago, kylee said:

If he makes that kind of money, than yeah...he probably will get LAID 6 million + times per year.

49 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Umm yeah... That's what he's worth... What does missing the playoffs have to do with Larkin's contract?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think "a (21 year old, top line center and future captain) who scored 63 points on a team that missed the playoffs" is worth?

Why should he be next captain? 

56 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He’s a top line center on a horrible team I guess that’s all I’m getting at. Larkin absolutely has that potential but I’d love to see him get a prove it contract and light it up

10 minutes ago, kylee said:

Why should he be next captain? 

Why not? 

Hardest working young player, one of the best players on the team, praises teammates during games, actively involved with the organization during the offseason, actively involved in the Detroit community. 

Meets all the criteria. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Larkin had a terrible 2nd year and last year he definitely improved but that's still not reliable. I wouldn't be surprised if Holland uses that as leverage to get him to sign for $5.5 x6 or something. Larkin wants $6 x 6 though.  

I agree. My only point was that I don't really see Zucker as much of a comparable to Larkin. I can see $5.5, maybe, but not much lower than that.

31 minutes ago, kylee said:

He’s a top line center on a horrible team I guess that’s all I’m getting at. Larkin absolutely has that potential but I’d love to see him get a prove it contract and light it up

Again, what does the team Larkin is playing on have to do with his contract? That makes no sense... If anything, the fact that he's playing on a s***ty team should play in his favor as to why he's worth the money, not the other way around.

Also, handing out a "prove it contract" to a player like Larkin, that will prove it, and "light it up" would be a huge mistake. We need to take advantage of players on cheap entry level contracts and lock up our core long term. Those are two things the most successful teams in the league continue to do. We haven't been doing either. 

You didn't answer my question. What do you think Larkin is worth? What sort of contract would you sign him to?

10 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

He did and they did nothing. I'm sure the Jets know how he feels, the problem is if he keeps pushing it, he's just going to have the fans turn on him. Going 1 year at a time is pretty much his way of telling them to F off without making it obvious to the everyday fan.

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree. My only point was that I don't really see Zucker as much of a comparable to Larkin. I can see $5.5, maybe, but not much lower than that.

Again, what does the team Larkin is playing on have to do with his contract? That makes no sense... If anything, the fact that he's playing on a s***ty team should play in his favor as to why he's worth the money, not the other way around.

Also, handing out a "prove it contract" to a player like Larkin, that will prove it, and "light it up" would be a huge mistake. We need to take advantage of players on cheap entry level contracts and lock up our core long term. Those are two things the most successful teams in the league continue to do. We haven't been doing either. 

You didn't answer my question. What do you think Larkin is worth? What sort of contract would you sign him to?

2 year deal maybe 4.5 per season. He's young and promising but hasn't earned a "lock up" contract just because he has potential and likes Metro Detroit lol 

2 hours ago, kylee said:

I don't understand the relevance of the team not making the playoffs? Are you saying that players on non playoff teams should be pad less?

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

I don't understand the relevance of the team not making the playoffs? Are you saying that players on non playoff teams should be pad less?

No - player salary should be most of all based on a players skill/production/value to the team but I guess just from a fan standpoint it's depressing to see the state of our franchise and that darkens everything for me. 

Edited by kylee

1 hour ago, kylee said:

2 year deal maybe 4.5 per season. He's young and promising but hasn't earned a "lock up" contract just because he has potential and likes Metro Detroit lol 

We don't have much to lose by signing him for 6 years at 5+ though. Our team sucks anyways and if he doesn't workout he moves on after 5 or 6 eyears and Zadina, Ras etc would be hitting age 22, 23. Rinse and repeat with the next set of youngsters. It's not like Larkin is signing a 12 year contract. It's likely a contract long enough to where if things don't pan out we move onto the next phase of players that will be in their primes by then. Those next set of players being Ras, Cholo, Zadina, Veleno and whoever our 2019 and 2020 draft picks will be (I presume we will still pick low both years).  

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

We don't have much to lose by signing him for 6 years at 5+ though. Our team sucks anyways and if he doesn't workout he moves on after 5 or 6 eyears and Zadina, Ras etc would be hitting age 22, 23. Rinse and repeat with the next set of youngsters. It's not like Larkin is signing a 12 year contract. It's likely a contract long enough to where if things don't pan out we move onto the next phase of players that will be in their primes by then. Those next set of players being Ras, Cholo, Zadina, Veleno and whoever our 2019 and 2020 draft picks will be (I presume we will still pick low both years).  

Yes that’s all true I gues I’m used to players getting big contracts (year wise) like that after they’ve proven it like when we locked up Datsyuk (wasn’t it the season before we won the Cup?) and so forth. But clearly longer deals aren’t uncommon for non-elite players